Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheists can't love! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:00 am
Sorry West...but I'm not interested in having anyone's children, ok?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 am
Southwest
Sanguvixen
If humanity stops having faith in a invisible god...than that god ceases to exist.

A proper made-up scenario would be this: Let us say that some guy named Sean decides that there is a Goddess named Malina who is a big Pink Unicorn, and he decides that she must live in the Sun(which is why she cannot be seen).

Sean decides that she must have made the universe by throwing three seperate bursts of light from her horn golden horn. Somehow Sean gathers a following....and thus the religion of The Pink Unicorn is created.

After several years a great many people start believing that the sun that our planet circles holds a Pink Unicorn Goddess named Malina...but since we do not have the technology to search the entire sun we cannot disprove that Malina, The Pink Unicorn Goddess does or doesn't exist.

Sean then comes up with the idea that unless people pray to the sun, they will not be granted passage after death to Rainbow Heaven(the place they believe good followers of the religion go after death). Sean also starts teaching that only humans who worship Malina (in his eyes the true diety) have the ability to love because she fills them with the emotion.

All of Sean's followers are loving people...and they believe that it is because Malina made them so. As long as those people believe that Malina is real...than in thier reality she exists. That doesn't mean in actuality that she is really in the center of the sun, but they have faith, and faith alone keeps the following alive.

Ten years later Sean decides that he doesn't beleive that Malina is real, because he becomes a follower of the Noodle Monster. A Noodle Missionary converts him. Then Sean tells his masses to stop following the religion of The Pink Unicorn Goddess and to start following the religion of The Noodle Monster.

Then people all convert....thus Malina, The Unicorn Goddess no longer has any followers, and thus as a diety she dies. However the people who followed her still have the ability to be just as loving because changing religion didn't change who they are.

However they once could claim that other people cannot love if they are not granted the ability from Malina. When they changed religion the ability to love is still there. It is because the ability to care for others of our species is something that we will always have, and need in order to survive.

Attributing something like love to following a religion is a foolish way to see things. Anyway...I hope that was enlightening for the rest of you.

Have I told you I love you?

Invisible Pink Unicorn and Flying Spaghetti Monster references, plus logic that makes perfect sense.

Please. I want your children.

And if you can find a way to impregnate a guy, they're yours.

The basic foundation of the Unicorn in the Sun idea is not mine...it belongs to TheFiresOfStupid. I just built upon it a bit.

Sanguvixen

TheFiresOfStupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:24 pm
[Satan]
Okay, so today I was behind two religous kids and they were saying that Atheists are angry murderous people and that they have no feelings. That's when I interrupted. They started saying that if I touch them, they'll tell a teacher and then they started calling me a brute. rolleyes It turns out that one of them was jealous that the girl he has a crush on is crazy about me. They were yelling at me saying I can't truly love without the knowledge of God's presence.

I laugh at that, and then tell them that despite their stupidity I still love them.

It confuses the crap out of their poor little brains.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:39 pm
I decree Christians can't love without writing a blank cheque and then winging it my way. For I am the great demi-father.

...What?

-Matt

[Subject to Availability]

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:29 pm
Wiccan Clarinet
We can't love? Well I guess I'm screwed...and so is my boyfriend...who also happens to be an athiest....

Well, hell. Looks like we're screwed...
For those of you that are either way too tired and/or can't think straight... there is an obvious implication here...
But anyway. Love is merely a glandular production of hormones. It has nothing to do with religious beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:29 am
Sanguvixen

Err... that's fine.

Seeing as I wasn't actually being serious.

Because this is an online forum, for Pete's sake, and that's just weird.

...and I was talking about getting me pregnant, which could never happen.

neutral

Sangu: 1
Southwest's crazy lingo: 0

(For the record, Sangu, I meant it in the most lighthearted way. I tend to use the phrase "Can I have your babies?" or other derivatives to mean something more like "You are insanely awesome." I have no intention of actually having anyone's babies.)

BUT ANYWAY...  

Southwest

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:13 pm
Southwest
Sanguvixen

Err... that's fine.

neutral

(For the record, Sangu, I meant it in the most lighthearted way. I tend to use the phrase "Can I have your babies?" or other derivatives to mean something more like "You are insanely awesome." I have no intention of actually having anyone's babies.)

BUT ANYWAY...

I meant that is a sarcastic way. Meaning...you were giving me too much credit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:34 pm
Sanguvixen
Southwest
Sanguvixen

Err... that's fine.

neutral

BUT ANYWAY...

I meant that is a sarcastic way. Meaning...you were giving me too much credit.

I was worried--I thought this was going to turn into another abortion thread...  

DivideByZero14

Dande_Lion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:01 pm
c a u s t i c
[Satan]
They say that were murderous, though ironically, most of the people you see in jail are wearing Christian necklaces. rolleyes

That's because human nature doesn't change for them just because they are Christian. Although they would like to think it does and that somehow it makes them automatically better.
But anyways, the fact that more people in jail are Christian would only be significant if the percentages of Christians in jail and Christians in the population were vastly different.

There is a larger percentage of Christians in jail than in the general US population. There is also a smaller percentage of atheists in jail than there is the general US population.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:41 pm
But theists see religion as a truth, not a meme. If they stop believing, and it turns out there was a god, it will still be there. It's status may have gone away (is that what you meant?), but even if no one believes in it, it will still exist. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?  

HaileSelassie601993

Superior Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:13 pm
Well... I've heard a few things... and APPARENTLY, men can, indeed, get pregnant... don't ask me how. I don't know. But still...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:18 pm
Superior Jazz
Well... I've heard a few things... and APPARENTLY, men can, indeed, get pregnant... don't ask me how. I don't know. But still...

Scarily enough, it is theoretically possible, but the technique has never been successfully tried. Read on.  

DivideByZero14

iviary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:52 pm
Superior Jazz

Yup. Of course, it's not a vaginal birth, seeing as.. well, they're lacking that portion of anatomy. C-sections would be required. I guess they put the fertilized egg into the body cavity. Whee!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:26 pm
Interesting. I haven't heard that one before. I've had two dog that I loved dearly before they died, and a girlfriend whom I loved even more, and now a boyfriend.  

Phoebos

Despise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:15 am
MightyHikaru
What surprises me is that you still get surprised by those kids' attitudes.
Yeah. XD I've pretty much gotten used to all that crap.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff