Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Coming out as an atheist Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rough Sketch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:10 pm
I've told my mom, and she didn't care. That was when she told me that she was wiccan. Hey, go figure. I haven't told my dad because he's Southern Baptist and little bit less...open-minded about these sort of things. I think he knows though.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:20 am
It wasn't much of a 'coming out' thing. After becoming an atheist, I didn't directly tell my parents as such, but I never hid it either... they just got it after a while (canceling my membership in the norwegian state-church might have been a hint, though... ) xd

And it was no problem. My step-father is slightly traditional, but in no way very religious, and my mother was just glad I was able to make my own desciscion.  

Wyrdrake

p u l p y

Fuzzy Dog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:22 am
My parents don't mind, they've come to accept that I don't care about 'their god'. biggrin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 pm
Kibeth
I haven't told my parents, cause I know how they'd react, and chances are I'd end up being homeless.

Same here. I've gotten rather used to having a roof over my head.  

Aimee_Jayde

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:46 pm
My dad's a Weak Atheist, and my mom's agnostic. I didn't really need to come out for them. They let me figure it out on my own. In fact, the didn't talk to me about religion for fear of giving me a biased viewpoint. Nope, they just let my Grandma give me the Bible and let me talk to my friends about it. In the end, it was quite obvious to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:32 pm
Well, my dad died at three, so I could never tell him.

I told my mom was when my dog died. I was crying and I professed I really didn't believe in the Heaven and Hell stuff. I believed in the void back then (you die, and there's blackness).

She doesn't care.  

Minozake

SmurfsonAcid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:35 pm
One day I was like "******** it," and didn't believe anymore.

My mom, who is the religious one in the family, hates my dad and she says I'm like my dad, so I guess she couldn't care less if I go to hell. And my Dad isn't really religious... I even think he's a closet athiest, because his dad was Christian, and he admired his dad a lot.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:33 pm
I haven't 'told' my mom but I put it on MySpace and she found out.

We didnt have the long discussion I thought we would.

But nows she's gonna force me to go to Church....

And now they always make jokes about religion around me (even though I know more about 'religion' then they do)  

Sinak

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:04 pm
Sinak

And now they always make jokes about religion around me (even though I know more about 'religion' then they do)

I won't put that kind of information on myspace/facebook/or anyother kind of webpage that contains a fair of info on me. If the fact that I'm an Atheist fell into the wrong ears, I could find myself persecuted. Not by fam or friends, but teachers, bosses, and others. Not everyone is as understanding as they should be.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:11 pm
Dathu
Sinak

I won't put that kind of information on myspace/facebook/or anyother kind of webpage that contains a fair of info on me. If the fact that I'm an Atheist fell into the wrong ears, I could find myself persecuted. Not by fam or friends, but teachers, bosses, and others. Not everyone is as understanding as they should be.

I dont mind that people know Im atheist because I can back it up.

I used to be a Catholic, Ive read the Bible more then any Christian I know.
Ive read most of the other religious texts, so I can say I have had some experience, atleast knowledge, of the other religions.  

Sinak

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:13 pm
My mother doesn't really care what religion a person is. The only thing she cannot accept, sadly, is Athiesm.

Religion is a big thing with her sisters. One of them belongs to this off the wall religion, and comes up with her own intepretations.

The other two...I don't know so much about.

The one I do know much about is, sadly, a zealot who constantly judges other people. She also thinks that the Harry Potter books advocate Satanism, and claims that the author is actually a Witch. She also thinks that eating regular Peanut Butter from the store is bad for your health, and so buys this "Healthy Peanut Butter". At the same time it is ok to eat Nutter Butter Bars. Go figure. I'll have to say that she is definately nuts.

Anyway...whenever my mom and her sisters are together, religion becomes this issue that mom my stays out of. I don't want to cause any strife upon my mom, from herself, or from her sisters by allowing them to know that I am Athiest. I still like having a roof over my head, and I'd rather it stay that way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:00 pm
It took me a while, but I started to fault Christianity and became an Atheist.

I was one of the people that was like "If I tell my mom and dad, two hard-core Christians, I am sooo going to get kicked out..." My dad is the type of person that refers EVERYTHING to the bible.

We were all sitting at dinner one day, on a Sunday no less, and having a disucssion on how I could tell them anything. Without even thinking, I slipped out "There is always one thing that I can never tell you..." I bit my tongue, knowing that they knew I was keeping something from them. They interregated me, and I lied. They knew I was, and kept going. I broke down and told them "I am an atheist." My dad dropped his fork and said "...What?" I repeated myself and he shook his head and looked at me. "Why...?" was all that he said after that. I explained, he listened. He looked at me, got up, and gave me the biggest hug of my life. All he said was "The battle is not over yet..." and then I left.

Now, he lives little notes on the bible everywhere. He knows I am nosy, and he knows I read them. He will bring up a bible verse with me and all that wonderful stuff. He "accepts" it, but he doesn't like it.

But hey, I am still in my house. ^^

[I coulda sued them for all they had if they would have kicked me out. I am adopted... I have special laws that apply to me... ^^]

Yami_Ichi

Zoten

Distinct Explorer

4,850 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:23 am
I was surfing the net when my parents found out. We had my cousin living with us at the time and she wanted me to go to some church function with her, granted the fact I had already told her I was an atheist. Well, when I had refused, my step mom was standing nearby. She asked why I didn't want to go and I said I just don't like churches, then she said "You don't believe do you?" and when I confermed it all hell broke loose. It was World War IV here at my house, me trying to calmly explain myself and her throwing a tantrum a two-year-old would of been proud of. The battle didn't end untill my dad stepped in and forced her to stop (Thankfully he's a Deist, and a bit more open-minded.)  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:12 am
Zoten
I was surfing the net when my parents found out. We had my cousin living with us at the time and she wanted me to go to some church function with her, granted the fact I had already told her I was an atheist. Well, when I had refused, my step mom was standing nearby. She asked why I didn't want to go and I said I just don't like churches, then she said "You don't believe do you?" and when I confermed it all hell broke loose. It was World War IV here at my house, me trying to calmly explain myself and her throwing a tantrum a two-year-old would of been proud of. The battle didn't end untill my dad stepped in and forced her to stop (Thankfully he's a Deist, and a bit more open-minded.)

See...this is why I raise an eyebrow when people try to say more and more teenagers are athiest "because it is cool" or "because it is a fad".

Why would a person want to join a fad, if it mean't being ostracized by society, peers, and even parents?

It's good that your father stepped in on your behalf.

Sanguvixen

Icarus Alecto

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:55 am
Actually telling my parents about my religious choice was quite easy. My mom is agnostic and my dad is athiest so they are very open to religion. When I was young they offered to buy me whatever religious books or drive me to whatever religious institution Ex: church, mosque, buddhist temple.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff