Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
favorite quote Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cracovin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:07 pm
A new quote I like.

"Take me to your lizard."

I can vividly imagine that robot saying that for some reason, it just makes me laugh everytime I say it.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:18 pm
"The final attempt by the dolphins to communicate was mistaken as a highly sophisticated to do a double back somersault through a hoop while whistling The Star-Spangled Banner"

I don't think this is exact, as I just returned the book to the library. sad  

Guild`

badgerdog

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:03 pm
"The argument goes something like this: 'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says God, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing.'
'But,' says Man, 'the babel fish couldn't possibly have evolved by chance and it proves you exist, therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED.'
'Oh dear,' says God, 'I hadn't thought of that.' And promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
'Why, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore, goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed at the next zebra crossing."

"Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea." <-- That one's my favorite.  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:32 pm
Miranda12
"The final attempt by the dolphins to communicate was mistaken as a highly sophisticated to do a double back somersault through a hoop while whistling The Star-Spangled Banner"

I don't think this is exact, as I just returned the book to the library. sad

if it would make you feel better, I could pull the exact quote from the book.  

mcm

Echidnite

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:25 am
'What's so unpleasant about being drunk?' 'Ask a glass of water,' is one of my favourites. Especially since it (shamefully) took me a moment to get. The longer it take to get a joke the more satisfaction comes from understanding it, I believe. XD

There are so many more that I like, it's hard to narrow it down. I love everything that has been mentioned in the thread so far. That whole part where Zaphod is drinking, and he sends more drinks down to investigate the status of the first drinks is classic, but I haven't read the books ina a while and I can't even begin to remember how the wording goes. It was hilarious.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:50 pm
In chapter three, when Arthur is yelling at the construction crew who were demolishing his house: "And when I've finished, I will take all the little bits, and I will jump on them!". That one makes me laugh every time I read it, for no particular reason. All my other favourites have been mentioned before.  

wingnut the improbable

Lunar_Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:06 am
Echidnite
'What's so unpleasant about being drunk?' 'Ask a glass of water,' is one of my favourites. Especially since it (shamefully) took me a moment to get. The longer it take to get a joke the more satisfaction comes from understanding it, I believe. XD

There are so many more that I like, it's hard to narrow it down. I love everything that has been mentioned in the thread so far. That whole part where Zaphod is drinking, and he sends more drinks down to investigate the status of the first drinks is classic, but I haven't read the books ina a while and I can't even begin to remember how the wording goes. It was hilarious.
I still don't understand the whole "ask a glass of water" bit. I can't make head nor tail or the answer.  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:27 am
Lunar_Blade
Echidnite

I still don't understand the whole "ask a glass of water" bit. I can't make head nor tail or the answer.

You see, Arthur thinks what Ford meant by saying 'It's unpleasantly like being drunk' was, you know, pissed, off your face, smashed, ect. But he really means it as literally being drunk. As a glass of water would be drunk by someone.
Man, I'm terrible at explaining things, sorry if that made no sense.  

Echidnite

Lunar_Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 5:00 am
Echidnite
Lunar_Blade
Echidnite

You see, Arthur thinks what Ford meant by saying 'It's unpleasantly like being drunk' was, you know, pissed, off your face, smashed, ect. But he really means it as literally being drunk. As a glass of water would be drunk by someone.
Man, I'm terrible at explaining things, sorry if that made no sense.
Holy crap I understand now! Woah! Thanks so much, cheers mate.

by the way my favourite quote has already been posted but i like:
"Ford! Your turning into a penguin! Stop it!
"I can never get the hang of Thursdays"
And in the movie when ford locks the little knee-high picket fence gate from the barrage of Vogons, 2 of the Vogons try to get through the gate when the only thing locking it is the little latch thingy and he goes
"He's locked the gate from the inside! We have to go around"

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:09 am
'Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.' -Arther Dent

I have no idea why, but that made me giggle non-stop. Maybe I'm just psycho. o.@ The whole little penguin scene makes me laugh, but that quote just crowns it. heart

'Oh no, not again!' -Bowl of petunias

Before I read the whole Agrajag thing and it made little sense I thought it was really funny. Now I fell really sorry for Agrajag. sweatdrop  

Fuzzykit

J.I.N.X

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:42 pm
theres so many! but if I'd have to choose...

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

"You know, it's at times like this, when i'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die by asphyxiation in deep space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young"
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know. I didn't listen."

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:38 am
Well, one of my favorites got said many times already.... "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

Other lines I love:

"In the begining the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very unhappy and is widely regarded as a bad move."

"...Boy-being meets girl-being beneath a silvery moon that then explodes for no adequately explored reason."

"Put the Scrabble away, Arthur. It won't save the human race."

And of course, the ultimate swear word: "BELGIUM!" (Not exactly a quote, but still....)  

Lupe_Oceana

Fuzzykit

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:42 am
'HELL'S BELLS!'- The killing machine thingy after talking to Marvin and shooting down the floor. xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:09 am
redface I never got the "ask a glass of water" joke either. It's so ridiculously simple, too...

My favorite was a bit in "Life the Universe and Everything" where Ford gives his impression on the Adam & Eve story. I'd quote it but I don't have the book available at the moment.  

eccentrica

faile_aybara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:51 am
Another good one is the "Mostly Harmless", although it's detrimental to us as we discover we're only worth two words of the Guide.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games