Welcome to Gaia! ::

Annual User Run Ball Planning Guild

Back to Guilds

The event planning organisation for the AURB! 

Tags: aurb, annual ball, ball, user run, event 

Reply Locked Threads
Changing up the way the Ball is run. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aucosu

Crew

Familiar Conventioneer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:21 pm
Love Renewed

From what I understand so far:

There are two people running the entire ball, the Administrator and RP host.
They are in charge of getting the entire ball moving.

Under them are the room hosts, and the room administrators.
They are in charge of only getting their rooms moving.

There are not four people running the rooms, there are two for each room, plus the co-hosts who help keep the room moving during slow times, or help with entertaining guests during busy times.

A room and it's responsibilities are too big for just one person, adding on their additional responsibilities outside of the AURB. For example, I have school for most of the day, including Saturdays.
Many of the other staff have to work, socialize, work out or something, like you probably do yourself. What if that person has to go somewhere? Would their room just shut down while they were gone, and resume while they are back? Unfortunately, a fast paced event doesn't work that way, as I am sure you already have an inkling of. :>

The reason there are the main administrator and RP host now, is because we decided to divide the original main ball host's responsibilities. In previous balls, one person would eventually have to do everything. Now, it is separated into two people, which is an improvement.

You do bring up a good point about the administrators having a little bit too much on their plate.
Maybe the administrators could also split into two people, with each handling two duties. They would have to keep in close contact however.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:32 pm
Mushyung
Love Renewed

From what I understand so far:

There are two people running the entire ball, the Administrator and RP host.
They are in charge of getting the entire ball moving.

Under them are the room hosts, and the room administrators.
They are in charge of only getting their rooms moving.

There are not four people running the rooms, there are two for each room, plus the co-hosts who help keep the room moving during slow times, or help with entertaining guests during busy times.

A room and it's responsibilities are too big for just one person, adding on their additional responsibilities outside of the AURB. For example, I have school for most of the day, including Saturdays.
Many of the other staff have to work, socialize, work out or something, like you probably do yourself. What if that person has to go somewhere? Would their room just shut down while they were gone, and resume while they are back? Unfortunately, a fast paced event doesn't work that way, as I am sure you already have an inkling of. :>

The reason there are the main administrator and RP host now, is because we decided to divide the original main ball host's responsibilities. In previous balls, one person would eventually have to do everything. Now, it is separated into two people, which is an improvement.

You do bring up a good point about the administrators having a little bit too much on their plate.
Maybe the administrators could also split into two people, with each handling two duties. They would have to keep in close contact however.
Four circles=four hosts. I was counting the co hosts. But I edited my post. And it's all sorted out

And no, I am online all day/night. This is my life. But as I've said, I'm a bit different.

I definitely don't thing it should be spread too thin. That can lead to a lot of chaos in itself and more people to disappear. But no one should have to do more than they want to take on either. Some people like focusing on one job, others grow bored and need more. I think it comes down to finding the right job or jobs for each personality type.  

Love Renewed

troubled-pasta

Enduring Spirit

11,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:27 pm
Mushyung

Love Renewed

Here's a (hopefully) clearer version of the structure chart. At it's core, with one room, the AURB is (or rather, should be) essentially this:

User Image

When you add more rooms it's just a matter of extending that outward like this:

User Image

There might also need to be a line running from funds/prizes to room admins but I feel with just one or two rooms it's probably not required.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:09 am
troubled-pasta
Mushyung

Love Renewed

Here's a (hopefully) clearer version of the structure chart. At it's core, with one room, the AURB is (or rather, should be) essentially this:

User Image

When you add more rooms it's just a matter of extending that outward like this:

User Image

There might also need to be a line running from funds/prizes to room admins but I feel with just one or two rooms it's probably not required.

I think this set up will work, and just to clarify Co-Host = Official RP Character person that has legit stuff to progress the story.  

Mishi Tanaka

Eternal Trickster

16,025 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hellraiser 500

troubled-pasta

Enduring Spirit

11,425 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:32 am
Mishi Tanaka
I think this set up will work, and just to clarify Co-Host = Official RP Character person that has legit stuff to progress the story.

Alright, cool. I'll make up a thing for people to vote on it or something.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:33 am
10 of 16 members votes to confirm the hierarchy changes, that makes it a passed thing though I would still suggest the other 6 members vote to confirm that they saw the changes and to put in their feedback on the matter.

The next order of business is choose who would be the best choice for those top 2 roles and how we go about choosing them. I would prefer the admin be someone with real life exp in project management. This would mean that the Admin is chosen from those willing and able with the best real world credentials, and participation in at least 2 prior ball planning guilds. The main Host would for me be a popular vote of someone that has participated in at least 2 prior balls 1 of which they must have been an official RP character.

TheMainCharacter1

ZoieAmandaSaxon

Love Renewed

Mushyung

Mitsuko Yukimura

Madame Mae

JennySanna

Mishi Tanaka

Spindlen

Violet the Maestro

The Handsome Mr-X

ArtAppreciationist

Valkyrie Aryn

Brokuto

MonsterGoo

troubled-pasta

Mishi Tanaka

Eternal Trickster

16,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hellraiser 500

The Handsome Mr-X

Handsome Gentleman

27,590 Points
  • Smooth Operator 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:38 am
Mishi Tanaka
10 of 16 members votes to confirm the hierarchy changes, that makes it a passed thing though I would still suggest the other 6 members vote to confirm that they saw the changes and to put in their feedback on the matter.
The next order of business is choose who would be the best choice for those top 2 roles. I would prefer the admin be someone with real life exp in project management.

TheMainCharacter1

ZoieAmandaSaxon

Love Renewed

Mushyung

Mitsuko Yukimura

Madame Mae

JennySanna

Mishi Tanaka

Spindlen

Violet the Maestro

The Handsome Mr-X

ArtAppreciationist

Valkyrie Aryn

Brokuto

MonsterGoo

troubled-pasta

My this guild is very watchful this year~
XD

I'll go vote.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:41 am
The Handsome Mr-X
Mishi Tanaka
The next order of business is choose who would be the best choice for those top 2 roles. I would prefer the admin be someone with real life exp in project management.

TheMainCharacter1

ZoieAmandaSaxon

Love Renewed

Mushyung

Mitsuko Yukimura

Madame Mae

JennySanna

Mishi Tanaka

Spindlen

Violet the Maestro

The Handsome Mr-X

ArtAppreciationist

Valkyrie Aryn

Brokuto

MonsterGoo

troubled-pasta

My this guild is very watchful this year~
XD

I'll go vote.

I'm gonna try and keep it that way, so we keep people in the loop and excited about the upcoming ball and it's various mini events throughout the year xd
also I edited that last post a bit  

Mishi Tanaka

Eternal Trickster

16,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Love Renewed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:58 am
I haven't hosted a ball before, but I did make it for rping this year and have rped in past years. I was also in the National Guard. It's not project management, but I did lead a group of eight. I also ran a store in high school. I am happy to take on any non art role. But I do want to put my name out there.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:25 am
Love Renewed
I haven't hosted a ball before, but I did make it for rping this year and have rped in past years. I was also in the National Guard. It's not project management, but I did lead a group of eight. I also ran a store in high school. I am happy to take on any non art role. But I do want to put my name out there.

We usually have a nomination thread for the main host so I believe a similar thread will be made, but with a new set of hierarchy we need to get requirements decided before making nominations i do believe. But throwing your name out doesn't hurt any ^_^  

Mishi Tanaka

Eternal Trickster

16,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hellraiser 500

SnelsPace

Anxious Gentlewoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:27 am
Sorry, I saw it this morning and voted but didn't have time to really comment because I was getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I can't finish reading atm either because tbh I'm exhausted and barely functional atm, but for the most part I like the proposed set up of the main hosts / admin situation. It seems liek a much better fit than the previous set up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:46 am
Mushyung
Love Renewed

Ah, I just quoted you and Vi because I saw you guys were saying we should have 4 rooms..? It was aimed at others too, who were confused why only 2 rooms this year. 3nodding

Yes, that is actually how the ball has been run in the past, except for the distinction between administrator and main rp host. The 'teams' were called committees, although they began to fall apart as there were less and less people and the people running them had to deal with real-life situations.

If you'd like to take a look at the conversation troubled and I had on page 2, we discussed the potential responsibilities of the main administrator and rp-host. What do you think about it? Mishi and I also suggested some possible duties of the main hosts on the same page.

I feel like instead of having multiple people trying to get others to do their work, people should push themselves to do it themselves. It gives them more autonomy, and the ability to set soft deadlines for themselves and the room members. So if the main rp host said, "we need character profiles done by June 1st", the head room host could say "Lets get the basic structure of the character profiles done by xx, characters created by xx, and art done for the characters by xx."

The head room host along with the room administrator could deal with the art, graphics, and room plot themselves, while referring to the main administrator and host to request funds, get things checked, etc.

Also, wouldn't it help if the advertising duties be given to the main administrator instead of a whole nother group?

I only suggested four rooms, because it is possible, even with the small amount of people that have been involved with planning. I've been going through the AURB history for the Society guild and there have been rooms with only 2 or 3 people staffing them.

I think we're forgetting that we don't need to be on 24/7. Sometimes it's good to have a lull.  

a porg

Anxious Astronomer

a porg

Anxious Astronomer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:51 am
troubled-pasta
Love Renewed

Mushyung

Violet the Maestro

This is my suggestion for structure based on what I know of smaller-end organisations. Essentially you don't need a 'boss' for each department/group because everyone is close-knit and able to talk to each other directly over Discord, which eliminates the need for these things.

User Image

Having any more than this in terms of titled roles is over complicating things for no good reason. We also won't need a head artist or anything because the artists won't be collaborating, they'll be working with the room hosts and admins to make art, separate to each other (just pretend there's a line connecting artists to room hosts and room admins, word docs is limited and I don't have that much time on my hands).

Let me know if anything here is unclear and I'll elaborate.

-drools over graphic-

I like it so far, but I've got some confusion.

1. What does the room admin do?

2. Who is contacting Gaia about stuff?

3. Can we just make sure we post stuff in the guild, and not just on Discord? Like even just a summary. Cause sometimes there's a lot of stuff and things get lost, and people's brains (like mine) go into overload and miss stuff.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:05 pm
Mishi Tanaka

The next order of business is choose who would be the best choice for those top 2 roles and how we go about choosing them. I would prefer the admin be someone with real life exp in project management. This would mean that the Admin is chosen from those willing and able with the best real world credentials, and participation in at least 2 prior ball planning guilds. The main Host would for me be a popular vote of someone that has participated in at least 2 prior balls 1 of which they must have been an official RP character.

So, would it make sense to vote on a main Host then have this years main host and last years main hosts (if they are different) collectively decide upon an main admin based upon experience?

AugureyRiddle

Irregular Genius

Mishi Tanaka

Eternal Trickster

16,025 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:19 pm
Violet the Maestro
troubled-pasta
Love Renewed

Mushyung

Violet the Maestro

This is my suggestion for structure based on what I know of smaller-end organisations. Essentially you don't need a 'boss' for each department/group because everyone is close-knit and able to talk to each other directly over Discord, which eliminates the need for these things.

User Image

Having any more than this in terms of titled roles is over complicating things for no good reason. We also won't need a head artist or anything because the artists won't be collaborating, they'll be working with the room hosts and admins to make art, separate to each other (just pretend there's a line connecting artists to room hosts and room admins, word docs is limited and I don't have that much time on my hands).

Let me know if anything here is unclear and I'll elaborate.

-drools over graphic-

I like it so far, but I've got some confusion.

1. What does the room admin do?

2. Who is contacting Gaia about stuff?

3. Can we just make sure we post stuff in the guild, and not just on Discord? Like even just a summary. Cause sometimes there's a lot of stuff and things get lost, and people's brains (like mine) go into overload and miss stuff.

A1. The Room Admins co -coordinate with the artists & funds departments on behalf of their room making sure that artists on on track with requested/required art throughout the year for what the room hosts are planning.
A2. Contacting gaia would be a Main Admin function
A3. I'm trying to make sure it all gets over here in some form though I may miss stuff.

troubled-pasta
if I'm wrong on what I wrote about the hierarchy please let us know, this is just the way I understood the flow chart.  
Locked Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff