Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:56 am
Oh. Well, that... wasn't exactly the kind of response he'd expected, and though he searched his friend's face for any hints of anything else he could find nothing. He didn't seem suspicious of him anymore, just worried, but Zevran... "I honestly don't know. I hope they've left and won't come back and I don't think they'd have any kind of grudge against me, but I don't know for sure. Zev would know better but," he gestured vaguely - unhappily - towards the door, "I can't very well ask him that right now."

After a moment to calm himself and the anxiety that started building again, and to take another sip of coffee he added, "You don't seem satisfied."

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:16 am
No, he wasn't satisfied. He could perhaps have believed that Zevran was an innocent citizen who had escaped an unpleasant regime - the world had an ample supply of them - but the number of scars he had and the tattoos didn't exactly point to a blameless life. For all that Zevran was a very charming, engaging person it was pretty obvious to Dith now that the tattooed man had been involved in some kind of violent activity for an extended number of years in the place Abel vaguely described. Had all of it been in a good cause? Perhaps. It would certainly be nice to think so, to think that perhaps he'd been fighting for change and had been forced to flee when things got too hot.

Dith blew on the surface of his coffee to cool it a little and mulled over how to respond; he really didn't want to give Abel anything else to worry about but dishonesty didn't really come naturally to him.

"In answering one question you've given me a lot more," he said eventually. "About the place Zevran and these people came from, and what he did during his life there... He has an interesting collection of scars on his torso." Bladed weapons, bullets, and a couple on his back that looked like brands. He could well believe that Zevran was happier here than he had been in a place where he'd received all of those injuries but how had he received them?  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:16 am
"Mmh," Abel replied eloquently as he stared down at his coffee for a few moments before taking a sip. Eventually he said, "That's fair... and he does. If he wants to tell you more about it himself then he can after he wakes up. It's his business, not mine, and the only reason I know as much as I do is because of how much time we've spent becoming closer friends and getting to know each other. He's told me a lot of things and almost all of them break my heart for how much s**t he's been through, which is way more than any person ever should. He's... I'm not gonna pretend he's some kind of saint - no one is, really - but I will say he's always been good to me. He's always been kind to me, thoughtful and helpful and downright sweet; he's one of the best friends I've ever had, him and Taavi both. I just... he's been through enough, I don't want him to have to go through anymore s**t like this."  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:28 am
So Kodo was a second chance then and seemingly one Zevran was trying to make the most of, whatever he had done before he had tried to leave it behind but it had followed him. Abel seemed to think that the threat was passed now and after some consideration Dith was prepared to accept this, Abel probably had good reason to think as he did.

"Unless he decides to tell me more I shall just have to remain curious then; it won't kill me," Dith said, marking an end to that line of questioning by moving around his desk and sitting back down in his chair. "If you're right about the people who followed him, and you don't have any more bad luck, perhaps you'll get your wish. I hope you do." Whatever Zevran might or might not have done in the past he didn't wish any harm on him, and he most definitely didn't wish any on Abel. After a moment or two of thought Dith shrugged and added; "And you're right, nobody's perfect." He'd done some pretty stupid s**t himself in the not so distant past, like delaying in telling anyone his suspicions about Snowy- Jack or whatever the man called himself now. Nobody knew that he hadn't mentioned it as soon as his suspicions had arisen and he meant to keep it that way, which was not so very honest and saintly of him.  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:23 am
Ah, and it seemed Dith was satisfied with that. Still Abel couldn't help but wonder what his friend's opinion of Zev was... he couldn't really tell what he thought. Dith was entitled to his opinion, whatever it was, but he couldn't help but be curious about it. Like Dith said though, curiosity wouldn't kill him. It didn't really seem a good question to ask at the moment anyway.

"No, no one's perfect; I know I'm not. And I hope I get my wish too," the blond replied earnestly as he stared down at his coffee more. He didn't really want it anymore, in fact he didn't want anything at all anymore except for Zevran to wake up. After a moment or two he added quietly, "He means a lot to me."

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:33 am
Dith smiled faintly and nodded. "It shows. I'm glad he has somebody who cares that much, everyone should." Had Abel been truthful about Zevran having no family or was there family back where he had come from that he had left behind and didn't want to remember? Perhaps one thing was very much like the other in the end.

"Why don't you lie down for a bit longer? It's still a little while before midday." Another half hour or so of at least physical rest wasn't much, and Abel might not sleep, but it was better than nothing.  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:05 pm
"I think so too," he agreed, a tiny, subdued smile working its way onto his face. He opened his mouth to continue speaking, thought better of it, and made a quiet noise in the back of his throat before he took another sip of his coffee. There was a plethora of things he could say about that, about Zevran, about his life and his hardships, about how much he cared for him, but in the end what mattered most was that he was safe and alive and had people that cared about him and would help him however they could.

The thought brought to mind another curiosity he'd had, but he shook his head first. "Mmh, no, I think I'm alright for now, thank you." He didn't want to risk falling asleep again, although the coffee would probably help stave off any sleepiness for a while. After another moment or two of hesitating he glanced over at his friend. "What sort of things do people do when their loved ones are in the ICU? I want to do as much as I can for him, I feel like there's more I could be doing for him but I don't really... know what I can do," he finished lamely and shrugged. He felt helpless. He never liked feeling helpless.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:15 pm
"Other than sit and talk with them?" Dith asked rhetorically in thoughtful tones, pulling together a bit of a mental list as he queried himself. "People often turn up with flowers and food, which is a shame because you can't take those in. The nurses tend to do well out of that though and goodness knows they deserve it. To be more helpful sometimes people bring in things that are special to their loved one, check with the nurses if you do want to do that because some things they can't allow. Playing their favourite music is common especially for people who're unconscious, and a lot of people ask for things to be left playing when they can't be with them. There's always a nurse in the room when there are no visitors," and often when there were especially for patients who were being ventilated, if Abel had had much privacy so far he'd been lucky, "and usually they appreciate noise other than the machines. So long as it's not 'What's New Pusscat' on repeat anyway; that happened one time, a bit of a hospital legend." The real genius was putting just one rendition of 'It's Not Unusual' in the middle.  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:55 pm
Abel merely nodded at first; sitting and talking was all well and good but he couldn't help but feel like there was more he could be doing, so he listened attentively while Dith listed off a handful of things. Flowers and food sounded like a poor idea for someone on a ventilator - but a good gift for those taking care of him, perhaps - though the suggestion that stuck out most was the thought of music. The blond perked up a bit, aiming a keen, curious look over at Dith. "How do they play music for them? Are there radios here or something, or do you need to bring one in for them to use? Not that I would play just one song on repeat though, that sounds like a terrible idea."  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:05 pm
Dith grinned crookedly and nodded. "You have no idea how terrible. Hilarious to hear about though. Ah, radios, I'm not sure to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few kicking around down there though, perhaps ask one of the nurses when you go back? It's a common thing so they're probably prepared; nurses are prepared for everything, and know everything about everyone." And despite being overworked and underpaid they worked as hard as or harder than the doctors, who were merely overworked.  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:44 pm
"I'll have to ask them when I head back down there then, yeah," he agreed before taking another sip of his coffee. After a pause to swallow and to think he went on, "Music is a good idea, I like that one. Mm... So the nurses and ICU staff like flowers and food, yeah?"  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:52 pm
"Mostly food," Dith replied honestly with a chuckle. "If they get flowers they either use them to brighten up the break rooms... or the rooms of people who don't have anyone bringing them anything." It was heartbreaking but it happened, it happened far too often. People lost touch with family, or fell out, or simply had none... It was definitely good that Zevran had Abel.

"But, food," The sadness that had clouded Dith's square features for a moment lifted and he smiled softly again. "If you were thinking of bringing them treats, anything easy to share would be much appreciated especially if it's sweet. Ah! Another thing. All of the rooms have TVs in them that can play DVDs and have freeview stations so as distraction for you or for him that's available if you ask. Got any shows you were planning to catch up on? I know a girl who can burn you pretty much anything right up to date."  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:10 pm
"Oh." That.... that was sad. Heartbreakingly sad, even. Suddenly he found himself infinitely glad that even though Zevran didn't have any family of his own, he at least had him and Taavi to care for him. Maybe he'd bring flowers anyway. "Sweet things, hm? Like cookies or cupcakes or something?" Those were generally the go-to for 'sweet treats' but perhaps there'd be other things, like donuts or something better. Something to look into for sure. "Ah, no shows I don't think, no, but tv might be nice anyway just to have something on.." Music though, music would be best.

With that thought in mind, Abel fetched out his phone to send a quick text to Taavi for when he awoke, politely requesting him to help figure out a quick, easy way to record music.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:17 pm
Dith nodded. "Those are good, or sweets, or chocolate, anything really. They also love cards when people leave." He was pretty sure Abel would be glad to write one if- when Zevran moved to a normal ward but he might not have known it would be appreciated without prompting.

The almost instantaneous response to Abel's text was; //I'll find out.// Then, a moment later; //Live right? Decent quality?//  

TawnyAngel

Predestined Inquisitor

BlackFireKitsune
Vice Captain

Tiny Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:47 pm
Any of the above, it sounded like... oh? "Ah, I didn't think about cards, those sound like a good idea too." Man he was glad he'd asked, Dith was full of good ideas. ...probably because he worked with them and knew what they liked and appreciated. "Thanks," he added with a faint smile.

Ah, and it seemed his best friend knew exactly what he was thinking without even explaining it first. Taavi's prompt text earned him a similarly prompt but brief response: //Please// A moment later he sent a second text, //You're the best//

Roleplay

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff