Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheist Holidays!! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Atheist holidays?
  You're a facking nut and need to go fight a tiger. Naked. Without a weapon.
  YAY! I can finally say I get the day off cause of my "religion"!
  Um... Okay?
  Once more... STFU and give me the gold.
View Results

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:03 pm
Very nice, very nice.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:33 pm
Here's one;

June 7: "Laugh at the Dumbasses who thought the world was going to end on June 6th" Day.

We'll celebrate it in 2106, 2206, 2306, 2406, and all other years that end in "06".

Orson Welles

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:14 pm
xd Okay. Works for me. Until the day that we actually do blow ourselves up. Like... someone hitting the wrong button or something. But that'd probably happen on New Years. When the president (or someone) gets drunk and falls asleep at the "big desk". Heh heh. Heh heh heh... Heh heh heh!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:21 pm
Blasphemize
Here's one;

June 7: "Laugh at the Dumbasses who thought the world was going to end on June 6th" Day.

We'll celebrate it in 2106, 2206, 2306, 2406, and all other years that end in "06".
what about years that end in '66' like 2066, 2166, etc.?  

Zwiebelsaft!

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:34 pm
Evil_Twin_V1.337
Blasphemize
Here's one;

what about years that end in '66' like 2066, 2166, etc.?
Those too. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:46 am
why would atheists have a holy day? it's kind of an oxymoron if you think about it.

...and don't say it isn't, because i'll know that you didn't think about it.  

Spiteful_Sage

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:21 pm
Just because we don't believe in a deity doesn't mean we can't celebrate something. The meaning of holiday has changed over the years, such as July 4th is a holiday. Doesn't mean that it has anything to do with a god or religion but we call it a holiday anyways.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:18 am
That sounds awesome.

We should start a petition!  

Lethkhar

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:25 am
Spiteful_Sage
why would atheists have a holy day? it's kind of an oxymoron if you think about it.

We're just celebrating the fact that we don't believe in God. What's so bad about that?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:14 am
I can't believe that I actually forgot to mention my family's "atheist holiday" (or should that be "celebration" and not "holiday" since it's not a holiday as in vacation?) here. While it isn't inclusive enough for all atheists, I think I should still mention it.

My father came up with the idea of a "No Cooking Day" (無煮日), which is, as the name suggests, a day where we don't do any cooking (this does not mean that we don't eat - we can have take-away or go to a restaurant). While this might not sound very relevant, it does have an atheist meaning to my family because we speak Cantonese.

In Cantonese, the words for "cooking" (煮) and "lord" (主 - literally "master", also means "god" similar to how English-speaking Christians call their god "the Lord") have the same pronunciation, therefore when we say "No Cooking Day", it sounds exactly the same as "No Lord Day". Since Sunday is "Lord's Day" in Christian tradition, we can have a "No Lord Day" instead.

Currently, we observe No Cooking / Lord Day at least once a week, usually on Saturday for convenience, although sometimes we move it to Sunday if we want to go out for dinner on Sunday. (We don't want to go out for dinner too often.) Of course, occasionally there are weekdays where we really don't have the time to cook, and we usually still observe it on Saturday even if we already had a day without cooking that week.

Of course, while I have managed to make this holiday relevant, there are obvious reasons why this doesn't make a very good holiday for everyone. Firstly, it doesn't work well for non-Cantonese speaking atheists. (It does work in Mandarin, and it might work in some other Chinese regional dialects too, but that still excludes a lot of people.) Also, someone still has to do the cooking, so it wouldn't work if we scaled it up. (As in, while I don't expect this to happen any time soon, this is not going to work very well if it became a big holiday that everyone celebrates, because who's going to cook if everyone is celebrating it?) One idea I have is to make it stricter so that we don't eat cooked food at all (in other words, raw food day), although I don't really like that idea because it makes the whole thing too complicated.

Spiteful_Sage

If you want to look at it that way, the word "holiday" (which can mean either religious festival, day off work, or vaccation) does come from "holy day", but then "goodbye" comes from "God be with you", so does that mean atheists should not say "goodbye"?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:24 pm
Thats a really neat "celebration" there, Mousy. Play on words and everything. Very cool.

And... Goodbye is a depressing word. v.v  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:29 pm
How about a holiday where we rip out the hearts of people who annoy us, or just any random people, like the aztecs did?  

Azaleya

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:53 am
Azaleya
How about a holiday where we rip out the hearts of people who annoy us, or just any random people, like the aztecs did?

So totally second this.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 pm
Mousy's idea is neat. smile

The idea of actually having an atheist family... Something very new to me. When I think atheism, I usually feel very alone. Holidays are very social, and yet, personally, my atheism is not social in the least. (Yet, I hope.)

I'm not sure what exactly we'd celebrate since other holidays are anniversaries of things... But I'm sure that we could come up with something.

The anniversary of atheism! Oh wait... That's existed since... forever...  

CatonaHotSnRoof

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:57 pm
xd You guys are sthilly. Makes me giggle with glee.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff