Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
Which controls are better to you????? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:56 am
But to say "I prefer the new controls to how it used to be" is like saying, "I think action shooters are better than Survival Horror games."  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:38 am
^And then it just becomes a matter of taste. She can like action shooters more than survival horror if she wants. razz

Tank controls for me. biggrin

*just can't wait for the day someone comes in and says "The rail-shooter controls!"* xd  

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

Michael Jetfire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:02 am
The old ones made the game better, including the old camera angles. As annoying as they were to some people, it just made the game actually feel scary to me. These new ones I dont like as much.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:50 am
Canas Renvall
^And then it just becomes a matter of taste. She can like action shooters more than survival horror if she wants. razz

Tank controls for me. biggrin

*just can't wait for the day someone comes in and says "The rail-shooter controls!"* xd
Well, for someone who's a fan of Silent Hill, I'd be surprised if SaintChaos says that she prefers action shooters to Survival Horror games.

And yes, I prefer rail shooters to over the shoulder action. If Umbrella Chronicles didn't have such a shitty storyline, it'd be worth keeping.

Michael Jetfire
The old ones made the game better, including the old camera angles. As annoying as they were to some people, it just made the game actually feel scary to me. These new ones I dont like as much.

Agreed.

I mean, I think point and click action RPGs can be annoying, as well as First Person Shooters. It's a matter of opinion. But the thing is, so I don't play Diablo or Half-Life, or Bioshock. Are they great games? Sure, but I'd be selfish if I said, "Diablo should be more like Oblivion and Half-Life should be more like classic Resident Evil."
I don't have to play every single great game there is. And I hate people who push it on me. "Oh man, Bioshick is so awesome. You HAVE to play through it!!!" or "Man, Left 4 Dead has ZOMBIES! You like zombies! How can you not like this game!?" Because it's an FPS with set scenarios, and I don't find it interesting, dipshit!
I think Still Life is a great game, but it's a point and click adventure game, and I know that's not for everyone. The last thing I do is push it on people, saying, "Man, you HAVE to play this game! The storyline is so awesome! And it's got difficult puzzles! It's awesome! How can you not play it!"

Resident Evil had tank controls and fixed camera angles. And I loved it. Some people didn't. But they don't have to play every game there is out there, just because it's popular.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:12 am
Biohazard EXTREME
But to say "I prefer the new controls to how it used to be" is like saying, "I think action shooters are better than Survival Horror games."

oi....thats not what i said. i SAID that I accept the controls as long as the controls are used properly. Hence the example I gave. I couldn't IMAGINE RE 1 with over the shoulder. It just doesn't fit. RE 4 and RE 5 are perfect for over the shoulder BECAUSE it is more action based. If RE 4 and 5 stuck to the traditional horror survival style like RE 1 THEN I would say it needs the third person view, tank controls.

Do you see what I'm saying now? And yeah, on the OTHER subject at hand. Sometimes I do prefer action over survival horror because well....it has more action. I'm more of an action based person because I like fast paced, think on your feet, type of games.

But sometimes I get tired of that. Sometimes I need to buckle down a bit and play a good old fashioned survival horror and take my time and enjoy the creepiness. It depends on my mood dude. One genre isn't better than another because each genre has its own specifications and has its own good and bad points. I've actually been playing Silent Hill 2 again. Been a while. But just because I enjoy Silent Hill doesn't mean I'm a huge fan of the genre SH provides. SH is one of the rare few survival horror games I will actually play. FYI  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:33 am
On genre might not be better than anothe in absolute sense, but if someone said, "What's your favorite game genre?" what would you respond?  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:26 pm
The whole point here that I think Bio is trying to make is that Resident Evil established a target fanbase, and then basically abandoned us for the action crowd. Resident Evil has never been a franchise for everybody. Many people hate the controls and have absolutely no patience for them, which is fine. So go play Devil May Cry, or Halo, or whatever you're into.

I've always loved action games, and there's no disputing that RE4 was a great action game, but I never went to Resident Evil for pure over-the-top, pulse-pounding action. That's what other franchises were for. I went to the RE franchise for something different, and now I don't really have that anymore. While the market is flooded with all kinds of ACTION games that play almost just like RE4/RE5. In some cases, better. Army of Two is an awesome co-op action game with ten times better teamwork-oriented gameplay mechanics than RE5. That game feels like a truly realized co-op experience, while it feels kind of tacked-on in RE5. And I still believe that the only reason that Sheva's there is because of the whole racism controversy, which I think ultimately hurt the final product more than it enhanced it.

But yeah, being that this is the very franchise that coined the term "Survival Horror", and basically kicked off the entire-frikkin'-genre... it should not be an action game. Just like Halo should not be a Survival Horror game, just like Zelda should not be a Real-time Strategy game, like Mario should not be an FPS game, like Call of Duty should not be a 2D platformer. No matter how good it may be at what it does.

While the original Resident Evil inspired and flooded the market with other horror-themed video games, RE4 has inspired and flooded the market with s**t like Gears of War and Army of Two. Is your horror game really serving the purpose its supposed to when almost nothing but pure action games are following in its footsteps? I think not.

If you want a pure action game, RE should not be the series to look to for that. If they needed to change the gameplay, they should have changed it while staying in keeping with the gameplay conventions that make a horror game a horror game, as opposed to an action game. That said, I probably wouldn't b***h as much if they hadn't completely raped the storyline. If RE4 had anything to do with the past games, and stayed in keeping with the themes RE had always been about (even its various spin-offs that diverged in gameplay still felt like RE), it wouldn't have sucked anywhere near as bad in my eyes. But, as has been said over and over and over, RE4 changed everything.

And that's why you have this huge divide in the fanbase. Because, for the most part, you have two different groups in one place who are fans of two very different things, without a whole lot of reverence for the other. And that's why they should have just made RE4 into a different franchise in the first place, as they did with DMC.

And with that, here's an interesting video that actually covers this very subject: click  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:04 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
On genre might not be better than anothe in absolute sense, but if someone said, "What's your favorite game genre?" what would you respond?

Read above post.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:16 pm
Thee Stranger
The whole point here that I think Bio is trying to make is that Resident Evil established a target fanbase, and then basically abandoned us for action crowd. Resident Evil has never been a franchise for everybody. Many people hate the controls and have absolutely no patience for them, which is fine. So go play Devil May Cry, or Halo, or whatever you're into.

I've always loved action games, and there's no disputing that RE4 was a great action game, but I never went to Resident Evil for pure over-the-top, pulse-pounding action. That's what other franchises were for. I went to the RE franchise for something different, and now I don't really have that anymore. While the market is flooded with all kinds of ACTION games that play almost just like RE4/RE5. In some cases, better. Army of Two is an awesome co-op action game with ten times better teamwork-oriented gameplay mechanics than RE5. That game feels like a truly realized co-op experience, while it feels kind of tacked-on in RE5. And I still believe that the only reason that Sheva's there is because of the whole racism controversy, which I think ultimately hurt the final product more than it enhanced it.

But yeah, being that this is the very franchise that coined the term "Survival Horror", and basically kicked off the entire-frikkin'-genre... it should not be an action game. Just like Halo should not be a Survival Horror game, just like Zelda should not be a Real-time Strategy game, like Mario should not be an FPS game, like Call of Duty should not be a 2D platformer. No matter how good it may be at what it does.

While the original Resident Evil inspired and flooded the market with other horror-themed video games, RE4 has inspired and flooded the market with s**t like Gears of War and Army of Two. Is your horror game really serving the purpose its supposed to when almost nothing but pure action games are following in its footsteps? I think not.

If you want a pure action game, RE should not be the series to look to for that. If they needed to change the gameplay, they should have changed it while staying in keeping with the gameplay conventions that make a horror game a horror game, as opposed to an action game. That said, I probably wouldn't b***h as much if they hadn't completely raped the storyline. If RE4 had anything to do with the past games, and stayed in keeping with the themes RE had always been about (even its various spin-offs that diverged in gameplay still felt like RE), it wouldn't have sucked anywhere near as bad in my eyes. But, as has been said over and over and over, RE4 changed everything.

And that's why you have this huge divide in the fanbase. Because, for the most part, you have two different groups in one place who are fans of two very different things, without a whole lot of reverence for the other. And that's why they should have just made RE4 into a different franchise in the first place, as they did with DMC.

And with that, here's an interesting video that actually covers this very subject: click

Dude why are you guys going on some completely different tangent? Did you guys completely miss the point I was even trying to make?

We're not talking about what the RE series SHOULD have been. There's already threads on that and debates on that. I'm talking about game mechanic controls as a WHOLE. Ugh...I'm not going to repeat myself again. What is it about my post that you guys are getting mixed up about?

And stranger wtf....I NEVER SAID I went to RE 4 for action. Stop putting words that aren't there that I never said. I was speaking on a general basis that I usually prefer action based games like HALO or something, more than survival horror. But it depends on my mood. Sometimes I like to bunk down and play a survival horror or mystery solver or something. I was basing my statement, not on the Resident Evil series, but as a whole all together of what games I usually prefer. It was in response to Bio.

How I feel about the types of games I like is NOT up for debate. It doesn't matter how much mumbo jumbo you throw in there, that I already know, its not going to change my mind. Maybe I'm not as biased against RE being turned INTO more action based, BECAUSE I prefer action based games. But thats not why I got into the series.

I didn't get RE 4 because it was more action based, and I FOR SURE AS HELL did not get RE 4 because it had Leon in it. I had no idea who the hell Leon even was. The ONLY reason I got the game was because 1)I had recenlyt bought a PS 2 at the time and that was last year. And 2) I kept hearing over and over how great the game was, so I figured why the hell not? Sure I'll get it and give it a try. And that's what started my spark into the series.

Jesus christ........  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:17 pm
Damn you and your mad debate skillz, Stranger. But at least they're on my side this time.
The thing that pisses me off the most though is that the vast majority of gamers are so damn blind to it. I mean, if you like RE4, that's fine, enjoy, but you get a flood of people who'll say, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're not actually gonna tell me that you liked Remake better than RE4! Cause it's so obviously an obsolete game! Resident Evil 4 was revolutionary! Resident Evil 4 was one of the most important games in history! It's where Resident Evil finally got good!"

There's a LOT of people out there, who'd love a good stealth based game with no more than 1 minute long Cinematics, and if Metal Gear Solid was to be made into another game where the storyline is only there to connect one level to the next, they'd be thrilled. But you know what, that's not what MGS fans love about the series. It might have solid, balanced gameplay. And solid graphics (although in more than one case, less than overwhelming). But it's not the gameplay and the graphics that got Metal Gear fans so invested in the franchise. It's the long cinematics drawing out a detailed and extremely well thought out storyline, with top quality voice acting. And if you take that away from Metal Gear, then it'll be just another over the top stealth shooter. Then you might as well go play Splinter Cell.

So just the same... With Resident Evil. I was invested in the horror movie-like experience. The camera angles might not mean much to some, but to me (and the fans of the franchise) it was a full on feature of the game.
The problem is... I gotta say, Resident Evil 4 was really well designed. It's balanced and fun gameplay. And the problem with that is...
Well, my friend, who's a Survival Horror fan, Silent Hill dedicated said, "RE4 really changed everything, and the storyline kinda sucked. But the gameplay was so fun that I chose to overlook the storyline." This is coming from the guy who told me to grind through Bioshock just for the storyline. That's just not right.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:30 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Damn you and your mad debate skillz, Stranger. But at least they're on my side this time.
The thing that pisses me off the most though is that the vast majority of gamers are so damn blind to it. I mean, if you like RE4, that's fine, enjoy, but you get a flood of people who'll say, "Whoa, whoa, whoa! You're not actually gonna tell me that you liked Remake better than RE4! Cause it's so obviously an obsolete game! Resident Evil 4 was revolutionary! Resident Evil 4 was one of the most important games in history! It's where Resident Evil finally got good!"

There's a LOT of people out there, who'd love a good stealth based game with no more than 1 minute long Cinematics, and if Metal Gear Solid was to be made into another game where the storyline is only there to connect one level to the next, they'd be thrilled. But you know what, that's not what MGS fans love about the series. It might have solid, balanced gameplay. And solid graphics (although in more than one case, less than overwhelming). But it's not the gameplay and the graphics that got Metal Gear fans so invested in the franchise. It's the long cinematics drawing out a detailed and extremely well thought out storyline, with top quality voice acting. And if you take that away from Metal Gear, then it'll be just another over the top stealth shooter. Then you might as well go play Splinter Cell.

So just the same... With Resident Evil. I was invested in the horror movie-like experience. The camera angles might not mean much to some, but to me (and the fans of the franchise) it was a full on feature of the game.
The problem is... I gotta say, Resident Evil 4 was really well designed. It's balanced and fun gameplay. And the problem with that is...
Well, my friend, who's a Survival Horror fan, Silent Hill dedicated said, "RE4 really changed everything, and the storyline kinda sucked. But the gameplay was so fun that I chose to overlook the storyline." This is coming from the guy who told me to grind through Bioshock just for the storyline. That's just not right.

Well alrighty. I'm not crazed over RE 4 like people are seeming to assume here. It just happened to be my first RE game, and it just so happened to be well designed, as you stated, so I was hooked right away. I love nothing more than a well designed game that I will go back to more than once. Its really too bad about the storyline though. I do love the point you make at the end there. I prefer RE 5 over 4 actually BECAUSE its better designed in the gameplay. The little antics of adding the audio commands helps to communicate to your partner without the use of a mic-headset. They also dummed down how much you can carry versus buying big a** suitcases in the 4 game that took forever to organize by the time you got to the end of the game. The hotkey controls of switching to different weapons is a lot faster too and so on and so forth.

And yes I will add in here, I LOVE goooood camera angles. It adds a whole nother dimension to the aspect of the gameplay. You don't see them just behind their back...you see above around, from a corner, from a ceiling...oh god I love it. As long as the angles don't get crazy flippant like they do in SH 2, then its good to go.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:37 pm
Well, again, don't make it all about yourself. I never said you were one of those people who goes pantscreaming crazy over RE4. I'm just saying that's how it is with the general majority. Even the majority hardcore fans of Resident Evil are willing to turn a blind eye to the shitty storyline because of how 'fun' the gameplay is. I'll never forget how the sales representative at EB games actually said, "I will fight you!" when I said that Resident Evil has gone downhill since RE4. I could've gotten him fired. And if he still worked there, I would, cause I need a job.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:24 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Well, again, don't make it all about yourself. I never said you were one of those people who goes pantscreaming crazy over RE4. I'm just saying that's how it is with the general majority. Even the majority hardcore fans of Resident Evil are willing to turn a blind eye to the shitty storyline because of how 'fun' the gameplay is. I'll never forget how the sales representative at EB games actually said, "I will fight you!" when I said that Resident Evil has gone downhill since RE4. I could've gotten him fired. And if he still worked there, I would, cause I need a job.

i know you didnt say i was one of those people razz . im just stating something just to state something. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:30 am
tl;dr. You've been warned.

SaintChaos
Dude why are you guys going on some completely different tangent? Did you guys completely miss the point I was even trying to make?

We're not talking about what the RE series SHOULD have been. There's already threads on that and debates on that. I'm talking about game mechanic controls as a WHOLE. Ugh...I'm not going to repeat myself again. What is it about my post that you guys are getting mixed up about?

No, I'm pretty sure I got it. RE4's controls work well in context to its action-oriented style, while the classic Resident Evil games work well in context to their survival horror style? Both Bio and I agreed with, and acknowledged that. Bio said it was well-designed, so obviously, he's acknowledging that the controls work well in context to the style of the game. I said it was a great action game, obviously acknowledging the same thing. So yes, I'm pretty sure we understood what you said.

Hate to break this to you, but both classic RE and RE4 have the same tank controls for your character movement, use the same buttons that serve to run, quick turn, ready and fire your weapon, etc. So the controls themselves are largely the same. It's the way the game is designed around those controls that ultimately changes their function. And all we're saying is that Resident Evil is supposed to be survival horror game. Therefore, RE4/RE5 controls don't work in context to its intended function: Survival Horror. They are inferior for that reason. I like the gameplay of RE4/RE5/Gears of War/Army of Two, but not so much in my RE. Because it doesn't belong in RE; it belongs in action games. We are talking about what the series should be. And we often will. Apologies if you tire of that topic, but it comes up often and will probably continue to. Gonna have to deal.

SaintChaos
And stranger wtf....I NEVER SAID I went to RE 4 for action. Stop putting words that aren't there that I never said. I was speaking on a general basis that I usually prefer action based games like HALO or something, more than survival horror. But it depends on my mood.

Um, I didn't. I NEVER SAID you did either. When the ******** did I say that? I was speaking on a general basis, too. Go figure. Stop putting words in MY ******** mouth, thank you. All I was saying is that Resident Evil was never the franchise to go to for action, nor should it have been. That's what action-based games like HALO are there for. Resident Evil was there for survival horror. Now it's just another action game. And we, of the original fanbase, have nowhere to go to get our fix, while action fans have more than enough places to turn. That's all I was saying.

Now, do I believe that you fall into that category? The action gamer which is the main target audience for Resident Evil now? I'll tell you straight: Most definitely. I mean, you just said so yourself in that quote. You've bashed pretty hard on the classic RE gameplay a few pages back in the Grill, talked about how you were never interested in the series before RE4 because you think zombies are stupid; how you weren't interested in any of the other RE games aside from the only one you had ever played (RE4) until RE5 came out, how the only classic RE game you own is REmake, which you didn't finish, etc.

SaintChaos
How I feel about the types of games I like is NOT up for debate. It doesn't matter how much mumbo jumbo you throw in there, that I already know, its not going to change my mind. Maybe I'm not as biased against RE being turned INTO more action based, BECAUSE I prefer action based games. But thats not why I got into the series.

1.) Nobody was ever trying to change your mind, just presenting our point of view on the subject. You can choose to acknowledge it, dismiss it, or flare up into a butthurt frenzy like you are right now.

2.) You are not biased about RE being turned into a more action-based game, BECAUSE you didn't give a s**t about the series until RE4 came along. You don't even like the old games, so why the ******** are you even talking like, "maybe I'm not biased". There's no maybe there. You are biased. In favor of RE4/RE5. There's nothing for you to be torn about here. RE was always action-based as far as your experience with the franchise is concerned.

SaintChaos
I didn't get RE 4 because it was more action based, and I FOR SURE AS HELL did not get RE 4 because it had Leon in it. I had no idea who the hell Leon even was. The ONLY reason I got the game was because 1)I had recenlyt bought a PS 2 at the time and that was last year. And 2) I kept hearing over and over how great the game was, so I figured why the hell not? Sure I'll get it and give it a try. And that's what started my spark into the series.

Jesus christ........

Whatever reasons you have for trying out RE4 in the first place are completely irrelevant. You got into it because of the intense, action-oriented gameplay. You got into it because of Leon and s**t (and when the ******** did I even mention Leon anyway? Talkin' about me goin' off on tangents).

That's what got you into it. RE4 is what compelled you to go out and pick up RE5. And what did you go to RE5 for, by the way? A REmake-style Resident Evil game with shitty "slow-mo crap" controls and stupid zombies, or an action-based RE4-style one? Exactly.

And since RE5 actually had something to do with the storyline of the series, that's what compelled you to go back and explore the history (while RE4 didn't, because it was pretty much completely irrelevant to everything else). That's what caused you to go back and try REmake, which most likely consisted of you playing for about an hour while screaming at the TV, all butthurt that it didn't play like RE4 before you threw down the controller and shut it off, never to insert it into your system again. So then you resorted to youtube and s**t to catch up.

And aside from my speculation as to what your REmake experience was like, all this s**t came straight from YOUR MOUTH. This is s**t YOU told everybody. I'm not making this up. I can go back and dig up the posts if you'd like. Most of it is explained in your introductory post. And I think you know I've read it. So yes, I know why you tried RE4 out, and I know how you got into the series. Storyline-wise anyway.

So you may be able to bunk down and play a Silent Hill game from time to time, but you're sure as ******** not a fan of Survival Horror of the Resident Evil variety, by your own ******** admission. And you know what? That's fine. I don't even ******** care. It's your bullshit posturing like you are that annoys the ******** outta me.

Saying you're used to Richard Waugh from the "old games". What old games? RE4? That's not old. And it's not ******** plural either. As if you gradually became accustomed to Waugh as you played through the series or something. Quit with the posturing, you're full of s**t. Now I'm reading all these posts in here and in the Grill, and you're all ripping on Leon and s**t. You love Leon! You're not the only ******** person here who does. Just be true to yourself, goddamn.

I, myself can enjoy RE4/RE5 on some levels, even though it's not the same thing, as can most of the people in this guild. Bio is one of the very few who downright completely rejects and refuses to touch them. Because he's an EXTREME Biohazard purist, pun intended. So it's not like you have to bullshit to fit in around here. Most of us are much more fond of the classic survival horror games though, as you no doubt know by now.

See where RE4 has created huge problems within the fan community yet? Because RE4 and RE5 ain't your daddy's Resident Evil... and I'm your daddy. Okay, that was just bad. Whatever. I'm done. Bye.  

Thee Stranger

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces