Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Homosexuality Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:56 pm
Personally I do not have a problem with homosexuals. I don't see why I should. They are people too, and they simply ended up happening to like those of the same gender.

I do however have a problem with those who are gay...making advances towards another guy when they know the guy isn't gay and they know that the guy has a girl-friend.

I know someone who is doing that right now and it hackles me a bit...I don't like it. If the guy isn't gay move on...find one that is.

On a separate note, to the person who says Marriage is purely a religious concept, what rock have you been hiding under? Marriage is no longer a religious thing. Heterosexuals have destroyed that and made it part of the government by giving married couples all sorts of generous breaks.

There is no use crying over the spilled milk that Marriage once was...so if gays want to marry let them. They are only seeking the very same thing that married couples are granted by the government, not what insignificant thing religious bestows upon them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:44 pm
Sanguvixen put it perfectly - marriage isn't just religious any more. Couples, regardless of gender match-up, deserve the thousands of benefits provided by a legally-recognized marriage.

I am very accepting of LGBT (lesbian/gay/bi/trans) people. 3nodding Most of my friends are one of those, and I know more transgendered/transsexual people than I ever thought I would! I'm bisexual myself, so I can't be that judgmental. Live and let live, y'know? Unless, of course, you're being a careless moron (promiscuous unprotected sex, etc.).

I believe very strongly that the majority of homophobia can be attributed to religious prejudice, as seen here (us non-religious people are quite accepting), the second most cause being misinformation. My mother, for example, was in the middle of the 1980's AIDS crisis in Congress. Back then, both sides didn't know too much about AIDS, so the LGBT community, according to my mom, didn't want widespread testing, etc. Now, we have much more information, and LGBT organizations encourage testing, for example. Apparently, my mom still hasn't gotten the memo. =_=  

Teoka

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:24 am
I don't have a problem with homosexuality. But I do find flaming gay people somewhat annoying. As long as they don't try to grope me or anything along those lines their fine.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:39 am
Sanguvixen
Personally I do not have a problem with homosexuals. I don't see why I should. They are people too, and they simply ended up happening to like those of the same gender.

I do however have a problem with those who are gay...making advances towards another guy when they know the guy isn't gay and they know that the guy has a girl-friend.

I know someone who is doing that right now and it hackles me a bit...I don't like it. If the guy isn't gay move on...find one that is.

On a separate note, to the person who says Marriage is purely a religious concept, what rock have you been hiding under? Marriage is no longer a religious thing. Heterosexuals have destroyed that and made it part of the government by giving married couples all sorts of generous breaks.

There is no use crying over the spilled milk that Marriage once was...so if gays want to marry let them. They are only seeking the very same thing that married couples are granted by the government, not what insignificant thing religious bestows upon them.
I think it's bad to make advances on someone who has a partner. That's just distasteful. That guy's a jerk.  

Koravin

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 am
Teoka
Sanguvixen put it perfectly - marriage isn't just religious any more. Couples, regardless of gender match-up, deserve the thousands of benefits provided by a legally-recognized marriage.

I am very accepting of LGBT (lesbian/gay/bi/trans) people. 3nodding Most of my friends are one of those, and I know more transgendered/transsexual people than I ever thought I would! I'm bisexual myself, so I can't be that judgmental. Live and let live, y'know? Unless, of course, you're being a careless moron (promiscuous unprotected sex, etc.).

I believe very strongly that the majority of homophobia can be attributed to religious prejudice, as seen here (us non-religious people are quite accepting), the second most cause being misinformation. My mother, for example, was in the middle of the 1980's AIDS crisis in Congress. Back then, both sides didn't know too much about AIDS, so the LGBT community, according to my mom, didn't want widespread testing, etc. Now, we have much more information, and LGBT organizations encourage testing, for example. Apparently, my mom still hasn't gotten the memo. =_=

;laughs; What I didn't bring up is that I am pretty much against the whole Idea of marriage because I view it as a waste of time and money. That is me though...

It would be kind of hypocritical of me to not be accepting towards trans, bis, lesbians, and homosexuals when I myself am the rarest flower of all....asexual. I couldn't live with myself to be a hypocrite at that level.

I can agree that religion is a major contributing factor to Homophobia. If you need any sort of proof on what religious can do to a person to make them homophobic...just take a look at Shirly-Phelps Roper and her father Fred Phelps, and their pretender Baptist Church "Westboro Baptist Church".

I think people, however, only use religion as an excuse to hate people who are different, such as homosexuals. Really...the only thing that is in the bible that slightly suggests being anti-homosexual is in the King James version if I am not mistaken....and that version had things that were added in to that specific part to make it seem as though homosexuality was the reason why "god" killed a certain town.

You know, people who say homosexuality and homosexual behavior is damaging to the concept of a family obviously have forgotten to look into history. They should look at Rome and to the history of the Greeks...although an argument can be made that there was more of a bisexual slant going on there. However you had guys who had families, who in turn had homosexual sex with their soldiers, and it make a powerful bond within the army and didn't damage anything. The man still went back to their wives, fed them, and got the women pregnant for the sake of the next generation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:06 am
I'm still in limbo concerning whether homosexuality is a concious choice, and unconcious choice brought about by environmental effects, or an accident of birth. I simlpy have no seen enough conclusive evidence.

But as far as I'm concerned, I have no beef with LGBT people, as long as they have no beef with me. I attempt to treat everyone with equal judgement based more on charachter than lifestlye and far more than accidents of birth.  

Kimihiro_Watanuki

6,350 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Piltdown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:47 am
I have no problem with homosexuality at all, though I always thought bisexuality was the best option. I actually cried when I realized I was straight lol . I know, I am a goof ball. I am against ethnocentrism of any kind, including that against "gay culture."  
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:53 am
The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!
Point 1: People do not want gays to marry
Point 2: Marrige is a religous undertaking*
Point 3: The government does not mandate religon

*Yes, I know that there are "Atheist Weddings" but that does not change the fact the marrige, minus the tax stuff, is a religous instutution.

That is a fallacious, though well-intended, argument. There is religious marriage and there is civil marriage. When you get married in a church, you still have to go to the JP or get the JP to come to the wedding, so that you can sign your civil marriage certificate.

Marriage is exercised both in the government and in religion, each has their own version. The church one takes care of the spooky demons and hellfire and rain dances and all that nonsense, the governmental one takes care of the legal rights and responsibilities that constitute a marriage contract between two people.

I live in Canada, where as a lesbian I have full legal equality with heterosexuals. Prior to our getting equal marriage, we could *only* get married at a church. If we applied to get a marriage license, it was not granted. This is the case in the US right now... you can get married at any church who is willing to marry you, but you can't get a marriage license. This is the reality. Most people think that marriage as we know it is religious in nature, but it is not. The irony is that gays in most western countries can get married religiously, not civilly.

To grant a "civil union" as Britain has done is essentially the "separate drinking fountain" of marriage. If it has precisely the same rights and responsibilities as "marriage" then why the different name? Because it is important to them to make a distinction between whose partnership is better than whose. The Canadian Supreme Court ruled, when we got equal marriage, that such "separate drinking fountain" nonsense is not equality, and we as Canadians are guaranteed equality.

The government indeed does not mandate religion - in fact, in Canada separation of church and state are extremely important because of our huge diversity of beliefs. Our equal marriage laws state that no religious institution will be forced to marry any couple they choose not to, and this point needed to be made separately precisely because it is a separate issue from the matter of civil marriage (government marriage.)  

WritelySo

WritelySo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:21 pm
Sanguinary Reik
I didn't bother to read it, because I have one definite opinion. No. The government should not legalize gay marriage. Why is that? Marriage is religious, pure and simple. "Separation of church and state" is nothing more than a sentence. It no longer means anything. Marriage isn't something that needs to be in the supreme court in the first place. That needs to stay in the Vatican.

Technically, marriage is something I'm against. It's the embodiment of monogamy, which is the denial of our very genetics. Of course, the way we are, our genes are best ignored right now, lest we further over-populate the world. Of course, gays are against our genetics, too. I really don't care about that, because it still has some genetics wired into us.

"What do you mean, Lock?" the children ask with wide eyes!

Humans are very special, in that we have sex for pleasure. Our genes tell us to. Genes are the realistic equivalent of god, children. See, humans were made for the same reason every other species was made: to procreate. In giving us sentience, sweet nature also had to make sure we didn't stop fscking like minks because we were lazy. And thus pleasure sex was born. Of course, I'm getting very off topic. Another speech, for another day.

Anyway, America needs to stop infringing on our "free" religion, "free" speech, and "free"doms in general. In guaranteeing these, they mean to tell us that we have them. Not that we can have them until they're tired of letting us. The government needs to stay in it's place, and let religion control itself. Have you not noticed, children, that religion has a heavy influence on politics?

"Yes!" The children replied, wide eyes with curiosity.

It is because we are so heavy dependent on religion, as a society, that we begin to make other decisions wearing the drunk-goggles of god. Presidents are elected on religious platforms. Bills are passed with religious motivations. Every single government-member given speech has religion, even in the most minute form. Religion has throttled our government, and usurped it.

So, no. No, I don't think the government should legalize gay marriage.

See my above reply to understand the distinction between superstition-based marriage and legal marriage. What you are saying here is that gays should not have equal rights to heterosexuals. Nice. And that *is* what you are saying, whether it's what you mean to say or not. Your logic meanders all over the map, it's not cohesive or coherent.

The whole "genetics as god" bull is as superstitious as "jeebus as god" is. It's essentially eugenics, which is as surely and utterly nonsense as religion is. At least if you are going to insist that genetics is our guide to how we should behave (LMFAO) then you should bother to learn about genes, about evolution, and about the theories as to the genetic and evolutionary role that homosexuality has. You complain about overpopulation, but it didn't occur to you that homosexuality might be an evolutionary response to population issues? That it might actually create a pool of adults who are available to share the collective workload, whilst simultaneously lowering the birthrate? You need to look into this stuff if you are going to let it guide your morality. Also, look at meme theory.

You bring in all of this nonsense about "humans being made" for a purpose "to procreate" which is essentially creationist bull. You either are religious, or have not reasoned your way away from their basic indoctrinations yet. To apply a moral purpose or some absolutist totalitarian code to how we should live on the basis of a flawed understanding of genetics is just as absurd as doing so on the basis of a flawed notion of some fantasy sky-fairy. It's the proscribed behavior and absolutist, biology-as-destiny moral code that is at the root of the problem. It's precisely the human tendency to ascribe arbitrary and absolute notions of right and wrong to things that is at the root of our social malaise these days.

Morality is learned, it's learned via experience. We learn that we need to get along with others in order to survive. We learn that it is in our best interest to live "the golden rule." This is NOT arbitrary, it is NOT absolute, and it works whatever culture you live in. It is something that every individual can exercise whether they have a sophisticated understanding of some bronze-age mythology or of some half-baked eugenics theory or not.

It is true that America is deep in its religious fog and needs to find its way out, and when you do you will begin to prove you have by doing things like extending equal legal rights to gays. The only reason *not* to is religion.  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 pm
Dathu
Hating someone because they're gay is just as bad as hating someone becasue they're black.

Dude. I JUST made this point to my mom and sister today, and the answer I got was 'there's nothing about black people in the bible, but there is about homosexuals.'
I'm planning to tell them that I'm atheist soon. Tonight or tomorrow, if I don't chicken out.

My ultimatum is the day I leave for college. (In four years.) If I haven't told them by then, then I have to tell them before I go.  

Azarni Usagi

Kidrahs

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:02 pm
Azarni Usagi
Dathu
Hating someone because they're gay is just as bad as hating someone becasue they're black.

Dude. I JUST made this point to my mom and sister today, and the answer I got was 'there's nothing about black people in the bible, but there is about homosexuals.'
I'm planning to tell them that I'm atheist soon. Tonight or tomorrow, if I don't chicken out.

My ultimatum is the day I leave for college. (In four years.) If I haven't told them by then, then I have to tell them before I go.

You should tell them soon, just to get it out of the way, and you don't have to hide who you are for another four years.
Oh, and welcome to the Guild biggrin .  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:39 pm
Kimihiro_Watanuki
I'm still in limbo concerning whether homosexuality is a concious choice, and unconcious choice brought about by environmental effects, or an accident of birth. I simlpy have no seen enough conclusive evidence.

There has been some evidence for many ways people attain sexual orientation other than straight. What is clear is that ones sexuality is not a fixed thing. It is influenced by many many things from conception through old age. Probably the least influential is personal choice.

By the way, someone's sexual preference is 99% of the time a non-issue to me. I've got great friends of every stripe and color. The only time it is an issue is when we choose to discuss it.  

Edi Gammon

Alucard2021

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm
I have a problem with ignorant people in general. Of all races and creeds. And there seems to be an overabundance of them around here. Needless to say if you're not ignorant than I have no qualm with you. So I have problem with African americans, Mexicans, White's, Gay's, Lesbians', so on and so forth.

It's just a lot of stupid people seem to be every race so i tend to hate them all to a certain extent. I live in a small s**t town with A LOT of bum mexicans and Trashy white people (myself being half mexican and caucasian). So i generally dislike mexicans for this fact.

And remember Stereotypes are based on some truth's or else they'd never would have been created in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:36 pm
Just as everyone here as well, I have no problems with people being homosexual in nature and I don't have a problem with them wanting the same marriage rights as heterosexual couples.  

CLR3

Dirty Dirty Shisno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:11 pm
I'm gay so I like us. We're cool. Unless your a walking stereotype gay your good in my book. Or if you eat babies. That makes you a bad person too. rofl  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff