Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
You're Favourite Religious Quotes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:29 am
cup_noodles
Arios V
I find this picture funny:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Brillant.

Indeed  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:46 pm
LadyDarcia
This is actually part of an article, not a quote, but what the hell.

New Yorker: Playoffs by Shalom Auslander
When I was a child, my parents and teachers told me about a man who was very strong. They told me he could lift mountains. They told me that he could part the sea. They told me that it was important to keep this man happy: when we obeyed what the man had commanded, he liked us. He liked us so much that he killed anyone who didn't like us. But when we didn't obey what he had commanded the man didn't like us at all. He hated us. Some days he hated us so much that he killed us; other days he let other people kill us. We call these days "holidays." On Purim, we remember how the Persians tried to kill us. On Passover, we remember how the Egyptians tried to kill us. On Hanukkah, we remember how the Greeks try to kill us. "Blessed is He," we prayed. As bad as these punishments could be, they were nothing compared with the vengeance the man himself meted out: plagues, famines, floods. Hitler may have killed the Jews, but this man drowned the world. This was the song we sang about him in kindergarten: God is here, God is there, God is truly everywhere! Then snackes, and a fitful nap. I was raised in the largely Orthodox Jewish town of Monsey, New York. Saturday mornings found me dressed in a sky-blue suit and brown clip-on tie, walking the leafy streets to synagogue. My father marched alongside me in a starched white shirt and a grey fedora, his heels hammering the pavement as we overtook the slower members of the congregation. Every so often, a car passed by (people from the nearby towns of Suffern and Pomona, out for a scenic drive) and I would feel a surge of pride at the solemn picture we made: fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, all of us out to warm ourselves by the soothing fire of our belief. Then my father would step into the road and shake his fist, shouting at the drivers to slow the hell down. "Ahnta-Semitin," he grumbled in Yiddish. Anti-Semites. "Kill a Jew, then you'll be happy." Monsey was a pretty town where everything was forbidden. One was forbidden to drive on the Sabbath, one was forbidden to take four steps without a yarmulke, one was forbidden to eat meat with dairy. Having eaten meat, one had to abstain from dairy for six hours; having eaten dairy, one had to abstain from meat for three hours. One was always forbidden to eat pig, at least until the Messiah arrived. Only then, Rabbi Goldfisher taught us in the fourth grade, would the wicked be punished, the dead be resurrected, and the pigs be kosher. "Yay!" I said, high-fiving my best friend, Dov. Rabbi Goldfisher fixed a furious gaze upon us. "You should be so excited," he said, "on the Day of God's Judgement." The people of Monsey were terrified of God, and they taught me to be terrified of Him, too. I learned that Sarah would one day laugh at Him, so He made her barren; that Job, completely ruined, had asked "Why?" and God had come down to earth, taken him by the collar, and howled, "Who the hell do you think you are?" In early autumn, when the leaves choked, turned colors, and fell to their deaths, everyone gathered together in synagogues across the town and wondered, aloud and in unison, how God was going to kill them: Who by water and who by fire, who by sword, who by beast, who by famine, who by thirst, who by storm, who by plague, who by strangulation and who by stoning. Then lunch, and a fitful nap.

That's just about the freakyist thing ever eek  

Ruminating Skeptic

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:01 pm
I bought my best friend a bumper sticker that read: Praying is Begging

I like that one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:08 pm
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:22 pm
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

You can get one at the American Atheist's website.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:29 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

Cool, send me the link and I'm there  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:31 pm
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

https://lightning.he.net/~atheists/catalogue/shop/cat003.php  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:33 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

Sweet....... I'm so going to get some of these. I'll probably piss a few people off and have my truck keyed a few dozen times, but it'll be worth it  

Arios V

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:37 pm
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

Sweet....... I'm so going to get some of these. I'll probably piss a few people off and have my truck keyed a few dozen times, but it'll be worth it

Being in the Anth dept, I've the bumper sticker regarding Punctuated Equilibrium as well as the one insisting that Evolutionists Do It With Increasing Complexity.

Haven't had the Ion keyed yet.
If anyone touches my baby, I'll curb 'em.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:43 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

Being in the Anth dept, I've the bumper sticker regarding Punctuated Equilibrium as well as the one insisting that Evolutionists Do It With Increasing Complexity.

Haven't had the Ion keyed yet.
If anyone touches my baby, I'll curb 'em.

Nobody has really ever messed with my truck, it's already got enough paint scratches in it. However, if someone does it and I find out who it is, I'll kick their balls up into their ribcage (If it's a guy). If it's a girl.... I'll think of something, since I really can't hit girls without significant provocation.  

Arios V

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:01 pm
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

I liked this one:

Atheisim-
There's no subsitute for being right.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:09 pm
cup_noodles
hachimitsugirl
Arios V
hachimitsugirl

I like that one.

That's good. I like that

I liked this one:

Atheisim-
There's no subsitute for being right.

I like that one too... I'll put that on a T-Shirt  

Arios V

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:57 am
Amanda, props for the delicious notification of that blurb about evolutionists. It's so tawdry!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:15 am
I liked the "Have you hugged an Atheist today?" one.  

[x] Natasha [x]

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:45 am
Theophrastus
Amanda, props for the delicious notification of that blurb about evolutionists. It's so tawdry!

You're welcome.

And it's true!
Deliciously tawdry and true.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out