Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What Pisses You Off Today? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Feeling on Ann Coulter.....
  Die....NOW!
  Ok person
  I adore Ann Coulter. (Can you really say that with a strait face?)
View Results

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 pm
The Martyr Of Intellect
Isn't it from a Rush album?

What? My signature?

Not that I know of...

Coincidentally, the picture I had in my signature several months ago was off of a Rush album. It was Starman from 2112:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I always did want to replace that pentagram with a cross...Never got around to it, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:17 pm
Your bible ones great too, but it hadn't even occured to me that it was the one people were talking about  

The Candy Store Massacre

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:30 am
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer
On a related note, those who don't believe in an internet-based teenage romance can bite my hind quarters. Period.

I'll second that.

Just ignore them. A lot of people meet online these days.

I'll stay quite about that because my views will probably conflict with both of yours.

In light of recent events, I'm retracting that statement. I'd like to hear what you have to say, though!

Martyr: I think it was the emblem on the radio from the greatest hits album  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:12 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer
On a related note, those who don't believe in an internet-based teenage romance can bite my hind quarters. Period.

I'll second that.

I'll stay quite about that because my views will probably conflict with both of yours.

In light of recent events, I'm retracting that statement. I'd like to hear what you have to say, though!

Do you really want to know? Anyone I ever met who got into an E-relationship either got burned, or became so obsessive with it that they completely forgot and ignored thier friends.

One of the reasons I turned away in the beginning from religion is this simple prhase "How can you have a relationship with something you cannot see, interact with, speak to, or even hear?

With E-relationships you can have some sort of interaction through the net but even then it is limited. The only way to truely feel, touch, or be with the person is to spend money on a plane ticket and meet them in a public location. I have a friend who did that...she cares so much about her "E-boyfriend" that she rarely has anything to do with her other friends and it kind of hurts.

Really I don't see the point of having a relationship with someone through the interent on the girl-friend/boy-friend level. If you really want to be in love you are better of finding a person you can meet in real life on a regular basis. A lot of these people who claim to want e girl-friends or e boyfriends are just doing that as a short term solution to a recent problem.

It often seems that when a relationship fails they turn to the internet. They get someone hooked in, and once they find another person to love in real life, they dump the e person...and who gets burned? The person who was hooked in.

It happens so many times that to me the risks outweight the benefits.
Even if you would succeed at finding someone you really love online, and that person really loves you back, taking the next step in order for it to be a true relationship would be expensive. Who is going move, where?

It is cheaper and safer for your heart to not turn to the internet for love. That is my view.

Sanguvixen

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:59 pm
Sanguvixen
Tenth Speed Writer
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer

I'll second that.

Do you really want to know? Anyone I ever met who got into an E-relationship either got burned, or became so obsessive with it that they completely forgot and ignored thier friends.

One of the reasons I turned away in the beginning from religion is this simple prhase "How can you have a relationship with something you cannot see, interact with, speak to, or even hear?

With E-relationships you can have some sort of interaction through the net but even then it is limited. The only way to truely feel, touch, or be with the person is to spend money on a plane ticket and meet them in a public location. I have a friend who did that...she cares so much about her "E-boyfriend" that she rarely has anything to do with her other friends and it kind of hurts.

Really I don't see the point of having a relationship with someone through the interent on the girl-friend/boy-friend level. If you really want to be in love you are better of finding a person you can meet in real life on a regular basis. A lot of these people who claim to want e girl-friends or e boyfriends are just doing that as a short term solution to a recent problem.

It often seems that when a relationship fails they turn to the internet. They get someone hooked in, and once they find another person to love in real life, they dump the e person...and who gets burned? The person who was hooked in.

Even if you would succeed at finding someone you really love online, and that person really loves you back, taking the next step in order for it to be a true relationship would be expensive. Who is going move, where?

It is cheaper and safer for your heart to not turn to the internet for love. That is my view.

Ah, it seems that we have a differing perspective of "online relationship".

I met my girlfriend online, but she only lives several miles away. razz We've been together for over a year and are quite content.

We just happened to meet online completely accidentally. (It wasn't a dating website...It was Gaia...Complete accident.)

However, we do live far enough away that we've got to drive to get there. Plus, she lives on an island so we have to take a ferry. In all it takes about an hour to get there. A minor inconvenience for a major reward. It is because of this inconvenience that the majority of our communication is either online or on the phone.

Got a problem with that? neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:56 pm
Thats different though. Because you two are in the same general area. Sangu is talking about those relationships where the people are miles and miles apart and yet act as if they were right next door. Those kinds of relationships, where you NEVER see the person, I believe, are un healthy. Only because, online, who knows who you're talking to. I mean, they could be some fourty-three year old pervert who is trying to get you to cyber with them. Just kinda freaky. And I agree with Sangu. Of course, Lethkhar, people will meet on the internet, its inevitable. I mean, hello, are we not talking about this? And yes, sometimes good relationships can come of it. But people who obssess, and constantly get online relationships and never seem to communicate with the real world.... My friend has a semi-ex-friend who was dating some chick online. And he bought a four hundred dollar two way ticket to go meet her. Once he got there, they "broke up". I don't really think that if you don't even know the person in real life, know their quirks, their sense of humor etc. that its a real relationship. Only because people change between online and offline. A lot.  

PickleBoy

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:18 pm
PickleBoy
Thats different though. Because you two are in the same general area. Sangu is talking about those relationships where the people are miles and miles apart and yet act as if they were right next door. Those kinds of relationships, where you NEVER see the person, I believe, are un healthy. Only because, online, who knows who you're talking to. I mean, they could be some fourty-three year old pervert who is trying to get you to cyber with them. Just kinda freaky. And I agree with Sangu. Of course, Lethkhar, people will meet on the internet, its inevitable. I mean, hello, are we not talking about this? And yes, sometimes good relationships can come of it. But people who obssess, and constantly get online relationships and never seem to communicate with the real world.... My friend has a semi-ex-friend who was dating some chick online. And he bought a four hundred dollar two way ticket to go meet her. Once he got there, they "broke up". I don't really think that if you don't even know the person in real life, know their quirks, their sense of humor etc. that its a real relationship. Only because people change between online and offline. A lot.

I do beg to differ.

The "freaky fourty-three year old pervert" thing is easily remedied by a webcam. Webcams cost, what, twenty bucks?

Also, there are these funny things called cameras that were invented a little over 150 years ago. You take these things called "pictures" with them. They're great if you don't have twenty dollars for a webcam.

By definition, it is a relationship. There's a relationship between everyone. Neither of us know each other's real name, yet you could say we have a relationship.

From my experience, people really aren't as different offline as the majority of people seem to think. Honestly, I don't see where this idea stems from. Sure, people tend to be a bit more open online, but it's not like they're completely different people. At least in my experience...

Whatever. I'll never understand why society looks down on online relationships. I think it's the way of the future, and advocate it like I do anything that involves progress.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 pm
Ever heard of photo shopping? Or the little wonder called google? Its easy enough to assume a new identity online. And not everyone is gonna have a webcam. Personally, I don't. Only cause I don't want everyone to see me as I scratch my a**. H'okay? Well, that and I'd never use it anyway.

And from my experience, yeah. People are way different online than they are in real life. Maybe you've just been lucky. But when I look at my friends online from when I'm just hanging out with them at the bookstore... theres a big difference. Its mostly in how they're portrayed online. Also, my friend talks to this guy named Jack. Before he came to con with us the first time, she was all exctied because he was so witty and smart and blah blah blah. Yeah no. He gets there and the first thing out of her mouth when his back is turned is "This isn't what I pictured."

I really think that you need to be able to hang out with a person, learn who they are before you can be able to say you know them. You should be able to sit in silence with them without feeling awkward or the need to say anything before you have a real relationship. Why? Because when you can do that, then you feel trust, a sense of security in who your with. But you can't do that online. You can't sit in the same room as someone, listening to them breathe and just be able to take pleasure in the fact that hey, they're there with you because they want to be. I dunno. You can have your online relationships, but I personally don't like them. I've been tricked one too many times online, by just "friends" to really want anything like that anyway.  

PickleBoy

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:57 pm
Lethkhar
PickleBoy

I do beg to differ.

The "freaky fourty-three year old pervert" thing is easily remedied by a webcam. Webcams cost, what, twenty bucks?

Also, there are these funny things called cameras that were invented a little over 150 years ago. You take these things called "pictures" with them. They're great if you don't have twenty dollars for a webcam.

By definition, it is a relationship. There's a relationship between everyone. Neither of us know each other's real name, yet you could say we have a relationship.

From my experience, people really aren't as different offline as the majority of people seem to think. Honestly, I don't see where this idea stems from. Sure, people tend to be a bit more open online, but it's not like they're completely different people. At least in my experience...

Whatever. I'll never understand why society looks down on online relationships. I think it's the way of the future, and advocate it like I do anything that involves progress.

Now, I'd have to beg to differ.

I don't think it's healthy to only experience a relationship online primarily because of the lack of physical interaction. People need to touch, smell, and taste each other in order to reach a higher form of intimacy. I think an online relationship, of the boyfriend/girlfriend variety, can be fun and acceptable if taken lightly. But even if you eliminate the possibility of lying about appearance, age, gender, etcetera, and they are how they are online (since I agree that some probably are and some aren't) vs. in person being different, you will never replace that physical intimacy. Some of the closes couples can communicate in virtual silence, with only looks and body language.

Plus, and probably my BIGGEST point: SEX!I know Gaia has a habbit of attracting conservative sexual skeptics, but even they say that when they feel the time is right they will, but how will you when you're in the type of relationship that PickleBoy described: where you never can, and never will see your "e-love interest?" I just think it will hinder social developement, and make a real relationship all though difficult to acquire and maintain. But then, if you're goal is to not socialize, and do the indoor thing, then I guess it's perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:51 pm
Lethkhar
Sanguvixen
Tenth Speed Writer
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar
Tenth Speed Writer

I'll second that.

Ah, it seems that we have a differing perspective of "online relationship".

I met my girlfriend online, but she only lives several miles away. razz We've been together for over a year and are quite content.

We just happened to meet online completely accidentally. (It wasn't a dating website...It was Gaia...Complete accident.)

However, we do live far enough away that we've got to drive to get there. Plus, she lives on an island so we have to take a ferry. In all it takes about an hour to get there. A minor inconvenience for a major reward. It is because of this inconvenience that the majority of our communication is either online or on the phone.

Got a problem with that? neutral

;hits herself in the head repeatedly; I should have kept my mouth shut. I really should have kept my mouth shut.

I have not a problem with it, I simply disagree with it especially when the two people live in different states and such.

Web-cams are no garuntee of anything. I'm going to get off now becuase I have to sleep. I'm not going to get into it ok?

Sanguvixen

Lethkhar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:26 pm
Ok, add that to things that piss me off. People who assume that everyone online is a 40 year old pervert who has nothing better to do than spend a year trying to seduce someone. If you're careful about it, that really shouldn't be a problem. It's probably more dangerous walking home from school.

The ultimate goal for an online relationship is to meet each other in person. If you're not going to do that eventually, then it's pointless.

How on earth would you fake a live webcam feed? confused

And did no one read that we see each other every weekend?

Sheesh...So yes: People who decide to rip on how a couple met piss me off.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:00 pm
Lethkhar
Ok, add that to things that piss me off. People who assume that everyone online is a 40 year old pervert who has nothing better to do than spend a year trying to seduce someone. If you're careful about it, that really shouldn't be a problem. It's probably more dangerous walking home from school.

The ultimate goal for an online relationship is to meet each other in person. If you're not going to do that eventually, then it's pointless.

What makes you right to assume that just becuase your E-relationship works, that all will?

I am going to drop the subject. The last time I got into a debate it turned nasty, because the other person became vicious and pathetic. I don't want to have something like that happen again so I'm just going to leave it as is.

Sanguvixen

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:05 pm
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar

What makes you right to assume that just becuase your E-relationship works, that all will?

I am going to drop the subject. The last time I got into a debate it turned nasty, because the other person became vicious and pathetic. I don't want to have something like that happen again so I'm just going to leave it as is.

Haha, you balance the line between truth and insult like a proffesional.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:42 pm
Dathu
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar

Haha, you balance the line between truth and insult like a proffesional.

Meaning?

No matter how hard I try in previous discussions on the same topic people always seem to turn what I say around then write a tangent based on thier misunderstanding. There is no point...I'm not going to get into it, now, tomorrow, or even 10 years from now.

Sanguvixen

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces