Christopher Paolini Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:14 am
Kindness and empathy and understanding... and acerbic wit and biting sarcasm and well-reasoned arguments... and deadly rebuttals and irrefutable facts and undeniable proof.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:25 pm
Fun twisted  

Rudhe
Captain

Londo Mollari

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:47 pm
I will not lie. I find his books entertaining as light reading. They are certainly not original (I find the parallels to Star Wars far more prevalent than those to LotR, personally), but then again, there are many other derivatives of the "Hero with a Thousand Faces." I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with the man, as there are plenty of other authors who have published unoriginal drivel, but I do think the amount of media attention given him far exceeds what is warranted by his talent.

On the other hand, he does seem to have perfected the technique of using clevely-placed unconsciousness to avoid sticky plot issues.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:55 pm
And it must be admitted that Eragon is an impressive achievement for one so young. He was 15 when he began it. I know of very few 18-year-olds who have read The Lord of the Rings, let alone 15-year-olds. Illiteracy is a growing epidemic among the young, I fear.  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

mystifyingbliss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:22 am
The Gothic Gentleman
And it must be admitted that Eragon is an impressive achievement for one so young. He was 15 when he began it. I know of very few 18-year-olds who have read The Lord of the Rings, let alone 15-year-olds. Illiteracy is a growing epidemic among the young, I fear.

It could've been an impressive achievement, if he had been 15 when he finished it. I've written three books, and I'm sixteen. Sure, I haven't gotten published yet, but I don't have parents with a publishing company, like Christopher does.

Illiteracy isn't necessarily intertwined with reading Tolkien, dear. I know that reading helps making you better at spelling, grammar and language as a whole and that it helps to increase your vocabulary, but people that do not read a lot are not necessarily illiterate.

You're right though; I only know of eleven people in real life that have read the Lord of the Rings before they were eighteen, including myself, three of my friends (including my best friend), and my father.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:25 pm
Galad de Chinon

I'm 18, and I've read the books! Even more, I read them before the movies came out. And liked them. smile Then when they started running the previews, I went back and read them again.

I enjoyed the Inheritance series, but only when I turned off my brain and allowed myself to enjoy it as drivel, instead of expecting it to be literature. It's a ripoff of Star Wars, Earthsea, and Lord of the Rings all at once, combined with poor writing, poor characterization, and glaring inconsistencies which are all recounted thoroughly at anti-shurtugal.com.

Now I think I'm going to go read the Silmarillion some more... smile  

Isildo

Dracolish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:20 pm
Galad Damodred

Yes, illiteracy grows as stupidity does, blame tv... and 15? god, he had pubes already!!! i know of Dungeon Masters that could write a better story!!! dammmnn!!! Paolini is a perfect example of what money and influence can do...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 am
Haha, oh god....don't even get me started on Christopher Paolini. I go into beserker mode. razz (And I'm serious - I went on a three hour rant about him yesterday on Facebook.) I'll try to remain calm. razz
First off, it's badly written. I know he was young when he started, but I'm fifteen now, and I was a better writter at eleven. His word usage is bad, his poetry is worse, and the flow is...not so much sluggish as it is nonexistant.
Secondly, his plot is almost entirely ripped off of Star Wars. I won't share the rather gruesome analogy I made last night, but it's really as if he stole Star Wars, beat it to death, dressed it up in a LotR costume, and kicked it out into the published world to fend for itself.

Christopher Paolini is to Melkor as Istanbul is to Constantinople. He can't create anything original, so he restorts to twisted lame copies of other people's works. xp

Plus, he's a rip off of my boyfriend. So I have personal reason to dislike him. Haha.  

The_Great_White_Snark

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:59 pm
Dracolish
Galad Damodred

Yes, illiteracy grows as stupidity does, blame tv... and 15? god, he had pubes already!!! i know of Dungeon Masters that could write a better story!!! dammmnn!!! Paolini is a perfect example of what money and influence can do...

Oi! Don't rag on Dungeon Masters!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:58 am
Put a bunch of literates and mmo players in the same room and watch the world explode.

I don't this Paolini is a perfect example of what money and influence can do...Paris Hilton on the other hand =P. Anyway if its true that everyone's a critique, everyone should LOVE this series.  

Rudhe
Captain

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:52 am
How true. We all get so much enjoyment from expressing how very much we dislike him and his sorry excuse for a story.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:55 pm
Exactly, everyones favouriter to hate..cos he just does everything wrong =P.  

Rudhe
Captain

Tanith_the_scaled_one

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:24 pm
Christopher was 15 when he started writing, 18 when it was published, and is now 22 (I think). He is not child, and he has no excuse to write like one. 15 isn't a child anyway.

Actually, he was never a good writer to begin with. He was always awful. He was published for only two reasons:

1) His parents own a publishing company.
2) They thought people would go for the child prodigy stuff, and it worked. Everyone is still using the age thing as an excuse for his faults, when he is clearly no longer a child.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:58 am
I like his books merely because I like the character of Murtagh, which makes Eldest disappointing because he only shows up for the length of one chapter. I still plan on reading Brisingr though because I hate to leave a series unfinished once I've started. At least in most cases. That is all.  

Lunar Kissed

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:08 am
Yeah, Murtagh and Nasuada are the only halfway decent characters.  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff