Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Atalantë - A new beginning
When did you first get your hands on Tolkien? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:01 pm
I need to finish Paradise Lost. I started it awhile back but got distracted by the play I was in and A Clockwork Orange. That is such a good book. Completely different from Tolkien, but just as good in its own way.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:14 am
Isn't that story ( Paradise Lost ) referred to in Frankenstein? it sounds rather familiar....must look for it sometime.  

Rudhe
Captain

Lunar Kissed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:28 am
I seen the scene from the animated The Hobbit with Gollum when I was young and became intrigued. My brother had been telling me to read Tolkien for years, but it wasn't until about the year before the movies started coming out that I found the motivation to begin and stop putting it off for other books. I started with The Hobbit and then moved right into The Lord of the Rings. I was completely in love with Tolkien's books.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:24 am
Rudhheniel
Isn't that story ( Paradise Lost ) referred to in Frankenstein? it sounds rather familiar....must look for it sometime.

I don't remember, but Paradise Lost is the poem about the fall of Lucifer.  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

Ametrin

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:27 am
The Hobbit was the first book by Tolkien I ever read, that was when I was 10, almost 13 years ago. I loved it so much, specially the creepy passages in the forest with the spiders and under the mountains with Bilbo and Gollum.

Then my father suggested me to read LOTR books too and said it was even more amazing but I found it hard to believe and couldn't imagine how they could be even greater than the Hobbit, which I found so fascinating. But then I read it and wooooow, so awesome. I remember that sometimes in the evenings my father read loud from it to me, or on some other days I was reading loud, and this was how I got through the amazing story of LOTR for the first time. Since then I read it yet maybe five times again! But the most powerful it had been for the first time of course, when it all was so new... all those gloomy scenes during the way to and through Mordor, wow... I was so fascinated. And yet now after years I still love LOTR and related books sooo much! I enjoyed the movies too; I had been a little afraid that it would be impossible to make them so great as the books, but then I surely wasn't disappointed, the movies were so well done.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:53 pm
Hobbit was a good read even when I was young. I struggled through the LOTR when I was younger. I think the second time you read it its better. When you're more familiar with the character. I enjoyed the books a lot more when I was older.

Galad Damodred
Rudhheniel

Yus, it was referred to in Frankenstein. I think it was when the creation first found books in the cottage of the De Laceys. How morbid, after being created and then read of such things.  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:54 pm
Rudhheniel
Hobbit was a good read even when I was young. I struggled through the LOTR when I was younger. I think the second time you read it its better. When you're more familiar with the character. I enjoyed the books a lot more when I was older.

Galad Damodred
Rudhheniel

Yus, it was referred to in Frankenstein. I think it was when the creation first found books in the cottage of the De Laceys. How morbid, after being created and then read of such things.

Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven, eh?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:59 pm
I first became interested in the Lord of the Rings when I was ten, and I was very bored in my hotel room with my family. I flipped channels until I came to one that was showing the Two Towers scene with Merry and Pippin in Fangorn Forest. 5 minutes later my mom made me turn off the tv, but I was hooked right then and there. Since then I have been obsessed with The Hobbit and The Trilogy, but (sadly) I must say I do enjoy the movies better. I think it is because of the old English style of writing that makes me lose focus, but I do read the books often anyways.  

Ginny97263

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:35 am
Old English? Ma cherie, hardly. You think that writing style is archaic, try reading Austen. Better yet, try reading Chaucer. rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:23 am
Haha yus, they redefine the meaning hidden treasures. Tolkien's texts are suppose to be "modern classics" as well.  

Rudhe
Captain

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 am
Three failings, tho': lack of wit and wordplay, lack of comic relief and lack of female Walkers.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:39 pm
Galad Damodred
Old English? Ma cherie, hardly. You think that writing style is archaic, try reading Austen. Better yet, try reading Chaucer. rofl

True, but know that I'm older, (you must remember, I first read them when I was around ten) I'm getting much more into the books. I've gotten to the point where I read the books almost as many times as I've seen the movies.  

Ginny97263

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:18 am
Haha I'm the opposite. I was an absolute bookworm whenn I was little, although now I've probably come to the point of watching more movies thatn books. Its the only way I can discuss them with my siblings as well..They don't like reading...  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:33 am
true, I was always a bit of a bookworm, but a very picky one. Now I'm more open to all types of books, but I still prefer modern fantasy.  

Ginny97263

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:17 am
Can you you recommend any good ones? I got put off fantasy and sci fi recently...I don't like the popularization...gives me a headache talking to some of the fans.  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff