Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Dumb Things You've Heard Said About LotR Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:39 am
Do you mean damn?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:58 am
Yes, I use a smudging convention for carlinisms on 'family' rated boards. Cuss words come out Mort Walker (Beetle Bailey) style. It is intended to show that I don't want the yonger members of the forum to use those words unless they're really justified, and to encourage them to find out what they mean before use. Fully TOS compliant protocols sometimes work in strange ways...

Other than that, I discourage use of '1337' and similar cyphers unless you're quoting them from literature. Use of JRRT's species and civilisation languages in a JRRT board is encouraged, using untranslated foreign languages in an English board is not.  

MalikTous

Falathrim

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:05 am
A kid would need to be a ******** idiot to not realize that d@#n = damn. :/  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:03 pm
O.o I suppose I didn't post this after all...

My mother read LOTR about thirty years ago, so for the most part, I can forgive her being forgetful of, well... everything. However, right before the third movie came out (mind you, she had seen the other two), we were discussing it. I don't remember much of the conversation, except that she somehow had decided that "Rohan" was the name of a girl! whee It was quite entertaining, and I still haven't let her live it down...  

Rhaella

Sirius the Moony Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:52 am
My mom: "Hey is the strider guy wearing a crown?".. it was funny, because throughout the movie, it was stated that Aragorn was heir to the throne of gondor.. haha..  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:32 am
We were reading Oedipus in english class and I foudn a quote from Lord of the Rings that worked all too perfectly.
Quote:
It's a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don;t keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off too.

Alex (a guy in my english class): Where did that come from?
Me: The Lord of the Rings
Alex: You quoted a movie?
Me: No, the book
Alex: It's a book? I didn't know they made one already!
Me: It was written over 40 years before the movies.... stare

The other one was, I have a habit of talking about Tolkien alot. So I was talking to my friend Rachel while walking down the hall.
Me: Well, Laura gave me the idea to start a Tolkien fangirl type club next year but we need a teacher to sponsor it. Do you know of any teacher who has read and likes his works?
Rachel: Who is Tolkien?
Me: stare The author of The Lord of the Rings

Oh, and last night I went to the bookstore to buy my friend her gift for her 16th birthday (I was buying her the 50th Anniversary Edition of Lord of the Rings)
Me: Do you, by any chance, have the 50th Anniversary Edition of The Lord of the Rings?
Lady: Let me check. Hmmm The Lord of the Rings. Nothing seems to be coming up....oh! Here's the problem, it is only one ring! The Lord of the Ring.
Me: *silently to self* Oh, my!  

ChewySkywalker

PearlZenith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:51 am
Oh, wow. Those already mentioned are just...priceless.

Okay, so I was standing ouside the library, waiting for a bus and trying to memorize the Sarati, when I heard two girls loudly talking. I only heard some of what they were saying, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about the LOTR movies. Then one of the girls says to her friend (about the book the Hobbit) "I know it's not supposed to be his [Tolkien's] best writing, but it just turned me off from it all, and I couldn't finish it."
stressed

Oh, another: I was in the school library, looking for some Chinese Philosophy, and then decided to take a look at literary criticism. I knew that with school, I would be unlikely to read any of the books all the way through, so I picked one up, and looked for the most interesting/ controversial title. And it just so happened to be about Tolkien and his mistreatment of women in his writing and real life, and how perhaps he and C.S. Lewis were gay. scream Idiots should not write criticisms. The author had obviously only skimmed LOTR, and not even read the Silmarillion where there are some more VERY powerful women. She just drew her conclusions from her biased veiw of the world and men, and contradicted the texts she used as evidence.
And, who cares if Tolkien was gay. I mean, what does it matter to his writing? Seriously.  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:02 am
My friend and I were watching RotK last weekend.

Friend: "Legolas is so hot!"

Me: "No, Ringwraith # 7 is the hottest!"

Friend: "But you can't even see him!"

Me: "He has mysterious handsomeness.."

Friend: "Noelle, can't you be normal?"

I guess I can't be normal, no matter how much i try.. but really I'm not just making fun of fangirls, something about ringwraiths is hot..

That reminds me of..

HOT MORGOTH SEX  

Sirius the Moony Lover

Bluering Bearer

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:11 pm
One of my friend, after having seen the film, said me : "There was a moment I was really scared, when the nasty queen trys to take the ring from frodo..."
Me : nasty queen ?
Friend : You know ! The nasty blond one !
Me : Galadriel ?
Friend : YES !!!
Me : sweatdrop read the book...  
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:31 am
"Tolkien ? Isn't he that man who wrote Harry Potter ?"

Yes, it's a real one... gonk  

Bluering Bearer

Zurgi

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:59 am
Owch...that's just sad -___-  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:13 am
Bluering Bearer

Damn, that one is sad. xd gonk  

Melian

Bluering Bearer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:43 am
Melian
Bluering Bearer

I agree.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:13 pm
Bluering Bearer
Melian
Bluering Bearer

I agree.
Ditto.  

SYFFER

ChewySkywalker

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:00 am
SYFFER
Bluering Bearer
Melian
Bluering Bearer

I agree.
Ditto.

umhm, I had something sort of like that. I have a shirt that has the little theme thing from LFGG "I didn't just see the movies, I read the books"
Well our choreographer was walking behind me in the hallway (he teaches sign language at school)
Michael: You read books?
Me: DUH! Of course I read!
Michael: I thought you only saw the movies XD
Wow, ok so he was kidding but it was pretty ammusing at the time since I always sit in the Auditorium reading.

Oh and the revival of Bob::
Laura: who is that guy from the book?
Me: what guy?!
Laura: the guy with the raincoat and name tag that says "Hi, my name is Bob"
Me: Beorn?
Laura: No!

Sister: Gimli is so cute and funny
Me: But he hardly ever talks!
Sister: He talks all the time in the movie
Me: Another illiterate captive taken by Jackson  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]