Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 502 503 504 505 506 507 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xiiao-ai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:04 am

We have 6 years of high school in Australia.
And everything starts counting in Grade 1o.

And since you have bad grammar&such Piggy,
I think that you'd be more likely to get in the 6o-7o region, rather than 8o.
:/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:50 am
@Mini: No problem. Actually, I didn't want to change my username; this is a completely brand new, spanking account. When I arrived back in Gaia Land again, I couldn't seem to access B&B's account, but after I made Chibito, my brother managed to do it. gonk *sigh* Anyway, B&B it is. 3nodding

And are we still talking about Babi's poor grammar? *sigh* ninja Dear oh dear.

And I've never really understood the Canadian/American education system, plainly because I'm so used to the British system. sweatdrop I think the Japanese follow a similar one to the Americans/Canadians? Over here, we don't have elementary school at all; we jump straight from primary school (Years 1 - 6, aged 5 - 11) to high school (Years 7 - 11, aged 11 - 16). Schooling after that (college/A Levels and uni) is not compulsory. A Levels/College is Year 12 and 13, in other words sixth form, and after that it's uni, if you can get in, for a specific amount of years depending on your course, of course. wink Most courses are three years (perhaps four), with medicine, dentistry and vet med usually taking five years (some unis require six, like Cambridge), and architecture seven long years. Our system is something like that. Oh, and before you go into Year 1 at the tender age of 5, you usually have things like Reception before that, and Nursery before that one. 3nodding You can technically start your schooling at the age of 3 over here, if parents want you to go, as I did. I spent nine years at my primary school. sweatdrop I'm not really sure what to make of it. xd

Hm... I could've sworn I've explained the British school system in detail before... *twiddles thumbs* But nevermind. Anything to drag away from Babi's awful grammar. xd  

Chibito7

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:49 am
mymiridon
[Bab! Co.]
Minielf
mewonthefreeway
[Bab! Co.]
Minielf

Babi: Orly? rolleyes Gonna brush up on your grammar only when you get to university? I think by then it'll be far too late for that. You still have 5 years of high school to go, and I don't think you can survive for that long with the standard of grammar you're displaying to us here. pirate

Fine, I'll brush up in grade 12. LOL. lol

5 years of high school?
I though it was always either 3 or 4...how is it 5?
I feel dumb...AGAIN emo

The system of high school is different in other countries. Some countries split high school into junior and upper high, whilst others split it into primary, middle and high school. Babi lives in Canada which should have a 6 year high school curriculum. He's in grade 8 now so he has at least 4 1/2 years to go.

B&B: Sorry I didn't know you were B&B. xd Unlike Sin or Sapphire I didn't see the post where you announced your new user name.

Babi: Year 12? Again that's a bit too late to brush up your grammar, as by then everything you do will count towards your university entrance score.
And if Canada has a British style GCSE exam system, even brushing them up by year 10 will be too late. pirate

Well, here everything counts mostly in grade 12. 3nodding all I need is average of 80% so easy here. lol But for Hong Kong University...you need straight A's from grade 8, I believe. whee
... if you don't learn proper english getting an 80% is going to be hard.

Nah...not 80% in English...80% average (as in adding all the subjjects) And our high school is from grade 8-12...but our 'graduation credits' starts in grade 10, BUT! all you need to do is average 80% in grade 12 and bammed you're in University, but of course try get higher and not just grade 12, so you can get into a University that you want and because getting 80% is pretty easy for alot of people, so the University chooses whee ...and so far I'm averaging above 90% Because I got straight A's in term 1, 2, and 3 except for English which I got B, C+, then C-... whee

@t0sh: I'm talking about the anime, which came out Oct. 2006...and You like it more? o_O Haha~it reminds of soul reapers stare Exorcists...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
It's still not new, Babi.

P:

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:02 am
t0shi0
It's still not new, Babi.

P:

Well, I was referring to the 'anime' and true 2006 is still not that new...but least it is newer than DN and PoT... 3nodding *Searches for any good anime in 2007*  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:19 pm
Ah...okay...I'm getting it now...

About the anime thing...I have to wait for subbing, and I'm too lazy to research the actual date of release I just check once in a while xp So I dunno when the anime "come out"  

mewonthefreeway

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:22 pm
[Bab! Co.]
mymiridon
[Bab! Co.]
Minielf
mewonthefreeway

5 years of high school?
I feel dumb...AGAIN emo

The system of high school is different in other countries. Some countries split high school into junior and upper high, whilst others split it into primary, middle and high school. Babi lives in Canada which should have a 6 year high school curriculum. He's in grade 8 now so he has at least 4 1/2 years to go.

B&B: Sorry I didn't know you were B&B. xd Unlike Sin or Sapphire I didn't see the post where you announced your new user name.

Babi: Year 12? Again that's a bit too late to brush up your grammar, as by then everything you do will count towards your university entrance score.
And if Canada has a British style GCSE exam system, even brushing them up by year 10 will be too late. pirate

Well, here everything counts mostly in grade 12. 3nodding all I need is average of 80% so easy here. lol But for Hong Kong University...you need straight A's from grade 8, I believe. whee

Nah...not 80% in English...80% average (as in adding all the subjjects) And our high school is from grade 8-12...but our 'graduation credits' starts in grade 10, BUT! all you need to do is average 80% in grade 12 and bammed you're in University, but of course try get higher and not just grade 12, so you can get into a University that you want and because getting 80% is pretty easy for alot of people, so the University chooses whee ...and so far I'm averaging above 90% Because I got straight A's in term 1, 2, and 3 except for English which I got B, C+, then C-... whee

@t0sh: I'm talking about the anime, which came out Oct. 2006...and You like it more? o_O Haha~it reminds of soul reapers stare Exorcists...

Uh, getting straight 90% at everything in Grade 8 and 9 isn't hard at all. When I was your age I was easily hitting 95+% at every single subject without even bothering to study, and that included two languages as well. But year 11 onwards is a different story. The curriculum is definitely going to be catered to university examination and the grades are no longer marked by how much you get right, but how well you do compared to your classmates. That's what happened to me when I was in Year 11 and 12, and I'm sure that your school system in Canada's the same. Getting 80% may be easy, but surely you're not going to be satisfied with just getting into a mediocre university? I bet the top unis in Canada require near perfect marks if you want to study medicone or law there.

B&B: Ah, so that's how it was. No wonder I didn't realize who you were. So your old account no longer works? That's a shame. And I know the British system pretty well now. Seems like the real crucial exams are in Year 10 with the GCSEs, and the final two years are only neccessary if you want to get into university.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:13 pm
Minielf
[Bab! Co.]
mymiridon
[Bab! Co.]
Minielf
mewonthefreeway

5 years of high school?
I feel dumb...AGAIN emo

Uh, getting straight 90% at everything in Grade 8 and 9 isn't hard at all. When I was your age I was easily hitting 95+% at every single subject without even bothering to study, and that included two languages as well. But year 11 onwards is a different story. The curriculum is definitely going to be catered to university examination and the grades are no longer marked by how much you get right, but how well you do compared to your classmates. That's what happened to me when I was in Year 11 and 12, and I'm sure that your school system in Canada's the same. Getting 80% may be easy, but surely you're not going to be satisfied with just getting into a mediocre university? I bet the top unis in Canada require near perfect marks if you want to study medicone or law there.

B&B: Ah, so that's how it was. No wonder I didn't realize who you were. So your old account no longer works? That's a shame. And I know the British system pretty well now. Seems like the real crucial exams are in Year 10 with the GCSEs, and the final two years are only neccessary if you want to get into university.

Yep, so I'm still trying...just not as much in English...too many projects... 3nodding  

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xoCrow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:18 pm
What's with all this talk?

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:58 am
@Crow: Um... because there;s nothing else to talk about? xd

@Mini: Yep. *sigh* Damned passwords, etc. But this is me, same as ever, pretty much. 3nodding Yes, I've just done the Year 10 GCSE exams - god knows how I did, the results aren't realised till August 23rd (why the heck is it so late?!), and then next year I'm doing my AS Levels. confused I'm rather apprehensive, but at least now my parents aren't making me do medicine. They've given up, and are allowing me to do the only things I can do. Originally I was planning on doing psychology at uni, but... Too many people take it and my parents weren't happy with the choice. Finally I chose English cause I'm doing two English subjects next year anyway, along with history and psychology... *sigh* I still wonder if I'm making an absolute hell of a choice here, but never mind. My future is in my hands.  

Chibito7

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:02 pm
Chibito7
@Crow: Um... because there;s nothing else to talk about? xd

@Mini: Yep. *sigh* Damned passwords, etc. But this is me, same as ever, pretty much. 3nodding Yes, I've just done the Year 10 GCSE exams - god knows how I did, the results aren't realised till August 23rd (why the heck is it so late?!), and then next year I'm doing my AS Levels. confused I'm rather apprehensive, but at least now my parents aren't making me do medicine. They've given up, and are allowing me to do the only things I can do. Originally I was planning on doing psychology at uni, but... Too many people take it and my parents weren't happy with the choice. Finally I chose English cause I'm doing two English subjects next year anyway, along with history and psychology... *sigh* I still wonder if I'm making an absolute hell of a choice here, but never mind. My future is in my hands.

You're planning to study English at uni? Well, unless you have plans on becoming a teacher I don't see any good job opportunities you could get if you just studied straight English. I'm doing an Arts course right now and I've chosen three majors, Politics, History and Creative Writing. Even with this diversification there's no guarantee I can get an easy job. My parents were the same as your parents; they didn't like me studying Arts because there weren't many career prospects that could come out of it If I studied it, but at the start of last year I had no choice. Of course, it's absolutely up to you if you want to study English, but I just wanted to let you know that finding a job once you graduate won't be as easy like it is in law or medicine; you're going to have to work much harder.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:21 pm
..I is too small for all this 'career talk'....
So..
I shall change the subject..
though I doubt it will work...

Why do fansubbers take soooo long?? stressed  

mewonthefreeway

xoCrow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:21 pm
Because it's not as easy as a job as you think it is.

So my aunt visited, she is SO good at putting people down it makes me sick. While I was talking to her husband about what I wanted to do as my major [which btw, is international business] she laughed at me that I was so dumb I couldn't even make it to community college. And although I admit that I'm not as smart as some of the other people I know, I'm sure as hell not a stupid person. Pisses me off, it's not like she knows anything about my life and the situation I've been in. :/

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:05 am
oh man your aunt is...
i want to be a lawyer.
biggrin
somehow...

kt_jingle

Chibito7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:17 am
Minielf
You're planning to study English at uni? Well, unless you have plans on becoming a teacher I don't see any good job opportunities you could get if you just studied straight English. I'm doing an Arts course right now and I've chosen three majors, Politics, History and Creative Writing. Even with this diversification there's no guarantee I can get an easy job. My parents were the same as your parents; they didn't like me studying Arts because there weren't many career prospects that could come out of it If I studied it, but at the start of last year I had no choice. Of course, it's absolutely up to you if you want to study English, but I just wanted to let you know that finding a job once you graduate won't be as easy like it is in law or medicine; you're going to have to work much harder.

Thanks for the advice... I do appreciate people telling me this kind of stuff, I'm not all for not taking advice. But... I've heard it all before (albeit in a slightly harsher tone, lol), and yes, English at uni is not going to provide me with anything easy, I know this all too well. I knew very well I was never going to do anything like Law and Medicine, I just knew it, and my parents found it difficult to accept. Now they've finally accepted my choice of English, but they've provided me with an ultimatum of sorts: Either I get into Cambridge or Oxford, or I go to Manchester uni, and stay at home for my uni years. Which, quite honestly, I don't think I could do, because I really can't live with my parents anymore. I'm extremely close to them, and love them to bits, don't get me wrong, and leaving my brother will also be hard, but my mum wants to live one way, and me the other, and all that happens at the end of the day is that we argue and shout and no one is happy. My mum is always saying if I'm not happy with the way we live, and I want to live my own way, then I could leave, but I can't, simply because I'm too young to be able to live by myself, and she knows that. I can't go against this ultimatum either, because I can't ask them to pay for more. If I stay at Manchester, that means I can live at home and won't have to pay accomadation fees, etc. My parents think, unless it's Cambridge or Oxford, there's no point splashing out on any other unis when Manchester is pretty good in itself.

The situation goes something like that... I've spoken to Toki about this, and he says I should go loan my own stuff, but it's more complicated than that. I've never been an independent person, and my parents won't let me just take out a loan, etc. It's hard to explain, but unless I get into Oxbridge, I have to stay at home. Not only do I have to worry about being able to find a job when I leave uni, I have to worry about being able to get away from home to get into uni in the first place. I have no problem with Oxbridge, but I'm wondering if a person of my personality should go there. I know I'm smart enough - I just don't work hard enough; and because of this, I wonder if I'll get the grades. Admittedly it'll help my job prospects if I get into Oxbridge, but it does depend on luck with these unis, and I don't know if I'll be able to do it...

Okay, now I'm just moaning and rambling, and should so have posted this in the rant thread. Never mind. I'm sorry for hurting your eyes. xd It just frustrates me, the future, and I don't need to think about it for now, so I'm not. 3nodding I'm sorry, I haven't explained myself very well, but thanks for your concern anyway. I'll just have to work extra hard now... Which I don't mind, because I love all the subjects I'm doing next year, I really do. biggrin I can't do subjects like science which I abhor completely...

What are you planning on doing anyway? I never did know... Probably never did ask you... Heh. sweatdrop  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 502 503 504 505 506 507 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games