Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mewonthefreeway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:05 am
Eh..I don't get it...
Mew's crazy perspective:
They tell you English is SOOOO important (which, it is...)
But then....English doesn't do you much good Later...LATER....
I mean...you put all this emphasis on English...
And then...
You can't USE it...not use it use it but USE it....

I assume this is one of the more serious chatterbox topics, eh?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 am
mewonthefreeway
..I is too small for all this 'career talk'....
So..
I shall change the subject..
though I doubt it will work...

Why do fansubbers take soooo long?? stressed

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Because somtimes things go wrong with the subbing.

Doremii explained why it took really long to sub Why Why Love episode 6~

Doremii
So people stop asking me I'll explain this. Episode 6 has taken a long time, NOT because we are trying to teach complainers a lesson or because we are subbing two episodes at once. The real reason is because it has had a lot of problems along the way. People went missing, the file got corrupted and a whole bunch of other little things that eventually add up to a significant amount of time have delayed it. The QC has a lot that she needs to fix and she has to do this all by herself. I'm sorry you all have to wait, but s**t does happen, I can't stop that.

Thank you to the people who are being patient and understanding. Your patience will be rewarded with a triple release ....... Unfortunately, the impatient jerks also get rewarded for being annoying.

` T a p i o c a `

mewonthefreeway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:56 pm
Oh....
Ah well...
They'll be up eventually..  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:52 pm
Chibito7
Minielf
You're planning to study English at uni? Well, unless you have plans on becoming a teacher I don't see any good job opportunities you could get if you just studied straight English. I'm doing an Arts course right now and I've chosen three majors, Politics, History and Creative Writing. Even with this diversification there's no guarantee I can get an easy job. My parents were the same as your parents; they didn't like me studying Arts because there weren't many career prospects that could come out of it If I studied it, but at the start of last year I had no choice. Of course, it's absolutely up to you if you want to study English, but I just wanted to let you know that finding a job once you graduate won't be as easy like it is in law or medicine; you're going to have to work much harder.

Thanks for the advice... I do appreciate people telling me this kind of stuff, I'm not all for not taking advice. But... I've heard it all before (albeit in a slightly harsher tone, lol), and yes, English at uni is not going to provide me with anything easy, I know this all too well. I knew very well I was never going to do anything like Law and Medicine, I just knew it, and my parents found it difficult to accept. Now they've finally accepted my choice of English, but they've provided me with an ultimatum of sorts: Either I get into Cambridge or Oxford, or I go to Manchester uni, and stay at home for my uni years. Which, quite honestly, I don't think I could do, because I really can't live with my parents anymore. I'm extremely close to them, and love them to bits, don't get me wrong, and leaving my brother will also be hard, but my mum wants to live one way, and me the other, and all that happens at the end of the day is that we argue and shout and no one is happy. My mum is always saying if I'm not happy with the way we live, and I want to live my own way, then I could leave, but I can't, simply because I'm too young to be able to live by myself, and she knows that. I can't go against this ultimatum either, because I can't ask them to pay for more. If I stay at Manchester, that means I can live at home and won't have to pay accomadation fees, etc. My parents think, unless it's Cambridge or Oxford, there's no point splashing out on any other unis when Manchester is pretty good in itself.

The situation goes something like that... I've spoken to Toki about this, and he says I should go loan my own stuff, but it's more complicated than that. I've never been an independent person, and my parents won't let me just take out a loan, etc. It's hard to explain, but unless I get into Oxbridge, I have to stay at home. Not only do I have to worry about being able to find a job when I leave uni, I have to worry about being able to get away from home to get into uni in the first place. I have no problem with Oxbridge, but I'm wondering if a person of my personality should go there. I know I'm smart enough - I just don't work hard enough; and because of this, I wonder if I'll get the grades. Admittedly it'll help my job prospects if I get into Oxbridge, but it does depend on luck with these unis, and I don't know if I'll be able to do it...

Okay, now I'm just moaning and rambling, and should so have posted this in the rant thread. Never mind. I'm sorry for hurting your eyes. xd It just frustrates me, the future, and I don't need to think about it for now, so I'm not. 3nodding I'm sorry, I haven't explained myself very well, but thanks for your concern anyway. I'll just have to work extra hard now... Which I don't mind, because I love all the subjects I'm doing next year, I really do. biggrin I can't do subjects like science which I abhor completely...

What are you planning on doing anyway? I never did know... Probably never did ask you... Heh. sweatdrop

I sympathize with your plight. I really do. I was in the same situation as you are in now, only I had a slightly easier time. The best university in Victoria is undoubtedly Melbourne University, so I had my hearts set on going to it regardless of what subject I got. Thus I threw away my chance to study a double degree at another university when the offers finally came. At the same time I personally considered about moving out of home, since like you I was starting to get bored of living at home. But unlike your parents my parents didn't want me to move out, so they pretty much forced me to stay. So right now I'm still living at home and working for my parents.
I guess your parents are different to mine. They don't see you as an extra pair of hands to help out with their business at little cost (I get paid slave wages of $7 an hour xd ) like my parents do, so your hands are kinda tied at the moment. You either live at home with them and cut down the costs of your education, or you get into Oxbridge and live on campus. It's harsh either way on you, and I honestly don't know the situation with the unis in Britain as I do here in Australia. All I can say is, believe in yourself and try to aim for the best. If you think moving out is better than by all means apply for Oxbridge and hope you get in. Even with a degree like English employers would still accept you if they learn you're an Oxbridge graduate.  

Minielf

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:46 pm
For I to become a teacher in like Hong Kong, do I need good English? Since they barely learn English until University...but I want become Math Teacher a little bit >_<...haha I'ma be a ***** once I'm a teacher. twisted Just kidding! lol Because I got 2 friends parent's that are Math teachers...(one from Korea and one from Shanghai) And their parents English isn't very good, but can be a university math teacher still here at UBC (University of BC). neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:00 am
@ mew: ? use it use it kind of use it?

@ a fairly old comment tosh made: i liked PoT and DN. X) Haven't tried to watch d gray man. D: まだまだだね。

kt_jingle

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:41 am
Not staying for long, just telling everyone: I don't have internet at home yet, am back in England now, will be online soon.

B&B - if you have Oxbridge questions, ask me, I'm such an expert now after doing so much research XD

-aiming for Emmanuel College, Cambridge- <3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:02 am
Meh. Long post. xd Apologies.

@Mini: Actually, my parents also want me to stay at home. sweatdrop I think they want to keep an eye on me, which is ridiculous, and they know it - they couldn't have a more obedient child in the sense that I don't do:
- Make up
- Abhor shopping and spending money
- Clubbing (god awful)
- Drugs
- Smoking
- Drink (I'm T-total)
- Get around a lot... *cough*
I'm such a goody goody (yet they still see the flaws, hahaha...) - quite simply put, I'm a bit of a freak, yet I still get on with most people. I'm not perfect, but in that sense, my parents know they needn't worry. Anyway, I suppose they also care a lot for me and would miss me, and I them too. But one needs to grow up sometime, ne? I've never been independent, and this is my chance to... become dependent. *shrug* Plus like I said, I can't stand the way my mum likes to live. I can't even decide my own shower time. I go when she tells me to go (in other words, she tells me to go, I don't for a half an hour, we scream at each other, then I go). My parents are ridiculously overprotective too... I can't go out much, which is fine, cause I don't like to, and I'm not allowed to sleepovers or anything like that. I'm not allowed a boyfriend... And god, that's another thing I don't know if I could continue if I stayed at home. The judgement they'd throw on me if they didn't like my boyfriend. I've only ever disobeyed that boyfriend rule once in my sixteen years, and that lasted very short due to several reasons, so... technically, I've never had one before. All this comes down to me wanting to tear my hair out, but yet still being glued to this... place I can't help but call home. xd *sigh* Ah, I blow myself up with frustration.

There was a point where my parents WERE forcing me to stay. And of course, I can't say no, because they're the ones paying thousands of pounds already for my education now, and will be the ones doing so for the uni. It's hard not to feel guilty, ne? gonk I can't ask my parents to pay more for me when they obviously don't want to, gah. Damnit, if only I were independent.

But yes. I will try my utter best with English. I do love the subject so much... which is odd for a Chinese girl who has English as a second language. xd I want to succeed. I'm not ambitious, hence why I'm not doing law or med, but I want to lead some sort of... okay life, lol. Thanks for the support. 4laugh

@Niph: Okies, I will do. 3nodding I wonder if you'll have time for Gaia once you go to Cambridge? *is said if the answer is no* But I know the interview for Oxbridge is very hard, and you have to get above 90% in your AS Level results, right? whee I suppose I'm not too worried about the interview if I get that far - I've always been good with people and chatting in general. But it's the grades that scare the crap outta me. xd

Emmanuel is quite big, ne? The one I've had the most contact with is one by the name of Peterhouse. It's the smallest and oldest college in Cambridge, and I like its cosiness, but I think it's probably too old for me. Perhaps something bigger, but not too big - there's so much to decide on, right? What made you pick Emmanuel anyway?

@Mew: It's true, I suppose. English is not a good degree to go for. I'm tempted to once having completed an English degree, go for a postgraduate psychology degree too, my original wish. 3nodding Maybe. It's never set in stone. *sigh* I think English only leaves you (as a job) with a teacher (and I could probably do that for a while, but not forever), writing (like that'd get me anyway, lol), and journalism, etc, things in media, which is probably what's I'd aim for once I get out of uni to gain some experience. Writing articles, etc. Then if need be, I'll have to teach. I teach Chinese kids right now, and I enjoy it, but I think I'd go ga-ga if I did it for all my life. xd  

Chibito7

mewonthefreeway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:28 pm
eek B&B understood what Mew said about use it use it use it?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:50 pm
[Bab! Co.]
For I to become a teacher in like Hong Kong, do I need good English? Since they barely learn English until University...but I want become Math Teacher a little bit >_<...haha I'ma be a ***** once I'm a teacher. twisted Just kidding! lol Because I got 2 friends parent's that are Math teachers...(one from Korea and one from Shanghai) And their parents English isn't very good, but can be a university math teacher still here at UBC (University of BC). neutral

Well I don't know how it works in Hong Kong as they speak mostly canto there. But I'm sure in BC you have to at least have university level English and a teaching degree in order to become a maths teacher, and then you have to decide on what level of maths you want to teach. At this stage, I bet you're not even capable of doing year 9+10 maths, so unless you can handle year 12 maths competently don't even think about becoming a maths teacher. razz

B&B: OMG your parents are even more doting and overprotective than mine are!! rofl blaugh I think they, and especially your mum, should at least allow you to decide when you should shower, let alone allow you the freedom to go out. Do you even go by yourself to high school, or do your parents still drive you? mrgreen You're 16 now right?. Your parents should understand that you're a fully grown adult and can take care of yourself. Even if they force you to stay at home, they shouldn't force you to live like they do. My parents used to be like yours, but after I turned 16 they began to loosen a lot of the restrictions on my freedom, and apart from being forced to work for them for 20 hours a week and sleeping at home, I have complete freedom over everything else. In fact, nowadays my mum wants to me to become more independent than I do. I still can't force myself to let go of the umbrella of protection that home provides. xd
Anyway enough rambling about myself. If you love English very much and it's the dream degree you always wanted, then by all means try your hardest to succeed in it. I think a person achieves better results in a degree they love.  

Minielf

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:25 pm
Minielf
[Bab! Co.]

Well I don't know how it works in Hong Kong as they speak mostly canto there. But I'm sure in BC you have to at least have university level English and a teaching degree in order to become a maths teacher, and then you have to decide on what level of maths you want to teach. At this stage, I bet you're not even capable of doing year 9+10 maths, so unless you can handle year 12 maths competently don't even think about becoming a maths teacher. razz

B&B: OMG your parents are even more doting and overprotective than mine are!! rofl blaugh I think they, and especially your mum, should at least allow you to decide when you should shower, let alone allow you the freedom to go out. Do you even go by yourself to high school, or do your parents still drive you? mrgreen You're 16 now right?. Your parents should understand that you're a fully grown adult and can take care of yourself. Even if they force you to stay at home, they shouldn't force you to live like they do. My parents used to be like yours, but after I turned 16 they began to loosen a lot of the restrictions on my freedom, and apart from being forced to work for them for 20 hours a week and sleeping at home, I have complete freedom over everything else. In fact, nowadays my mum wants to me to become more independent than I do. I still can't force myself to let go of the umbrella of protection that home provides. xd
Anyway enough rambling about myself. If you love English very much and it's the dream degree you always wanted, then by all means try your hardest to succeed in it. I think a person achieves better results in a degree they love.

Not yet that is...I'm going to finish math by grade 10 probably...because I'm going to skip 2 years of it...for an extra block...I don't mind being a TOS for grade 8s. blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 am
@Mini: Ooooh yeah. My parents are that bad. Having grown up in a white community with friends whose parents let them roam the streets freely, they find it surprising why I think they're not normal. xd When I was younger, they wouldn't let me out of the house and onto the streets without a parent, or go out with my friends without a responsible adult. The latter was too ridiculous, being a girl of fourteen and having to be looked after by a parent when your friends of course don't drag their parents out too. So I lied a lot about that. My mum also checks who I'm going out with... Just to make sure it's not some boy. She caught me with one guy once in a pack of girls, and was adamant on knowing who he was - he was just the boyfriend of one of my friends. Heh.

My mum's excuse for deciding my shower times is so the whole family unit revolves nicely. rolleyes Yep, my parents still drive me to school - have been to doing so every day of my school life since I was born. Sixteen years. 3nodding I don't complain about that too much, but if I had taken the bus, meeting guys would've been easier for a girl like me in an all girls' school. I prefer hanging out with guys generally. My brother wants to take the bus a lot though, has argued about it frequently. My parents relent more on him though since he's second and he's a boy... Safe and stuff, etc. They've sorta learnt through me they can't control everything. They are slacking a bit now, letting me walk on my own ONCE (ahaha), but generally, it's better... So as of yet, I can't complain. xd

@Mew: Um, yeah, I think I understood what you said. xd  

Chibito7

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:15 am
Eh?

All this talk is confusing. And troublesome to read.

= 3=;;

-changes topic-

<____<>____>

Since he hasn't been around lately.

And I put him onto my pixel ID, I shall bring him out. 8D

The person that posts under me will be chased by me and Mr.RuffTooth. ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 pm
biggrin smile redface crying stare scream gonk blaugh 3nodding xd stressed sweatdrop heart domokun xp eek surprised sad wink whee confused cool lol mad razz exclaim rolleyes twisted evil cry question idea arrow neutral mrgreen talk2hand pirate rofl 4laugh ninja burning_eyes cheese_whine dramallama wahmbulance emo

SORRY TOSH AND OTHER MEMBERS, IT WAS TOO TEMPTING! >=)  

[Bab! Co.]

7,250 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:13 pm
Wow Babi. You sure have lots of free time on your hands. xD

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 503 504 505 506 507 508 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games