Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Post your picture/ random pictures/dream avatars Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 510 511 512 513 514 515 ... 522 523 524 525 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:01 pm
mymiridon
Minielf
@Toki: Ah, Californication. Isn't that show all about non-stop sex? It was shown here in Australia some time ago but I don't know if was pulled off. Australians apparently can't handle as much sex and violence as our American counterparts.

And I think David Duchovny's case is an example of life imitating art; he's become addicted to sex because he's 'acted' in so many sex scenes. rofl

@mini: you australians should buck up rofl

It's not our fault. It's our bloody government's. They're too stuck-up and uptight. At least television and dvd movies don't have it as bad as Video Games. There's no R Rating here in Australia, so any games that would normally be violent or explicit enough to warrant an equivalent R or NC-17 rating in the US get banned from sale. Even worse, a lot of not very violent games get banned for stupid reasons, such as the use of drugs. I'm still furious that Fallout 3 got banned. stressed  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:48 pm
They banned one of the GTA games after a few weeks on the shelf, then re-released after some censoring. I learnt that at church camp. 3nodding  

cold_blooded_chick

mymiridon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 am
@mini: rofl. I'm glad I'm not australian.

@cbc: you? church? lol jkz. what do you learn in church camp?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:45 am
@Mini: Yeh, tis. Think Sex in the City, made for men. I watched it every week with my housemates when it was aired on british tv.
I was quite surprised that the aussie government is so strict on censorship. I would've expected their attitudes towards sex to be very much like the british. Basically, we're cool with it. xd

I'd heard about the aussie censorship of videogames a while back, when Manhunt was released worldwide. I guess that was understandable though, cos Manhunt is a pretty sick, but awesome, game.
Quite puzzling that they'd take their censorship so far as to ban Fallout 3 too... maybe you can get a chip or something? Or if you're rich, just buy a PAL console. :XP:

Haha, yeh I think you're right about that. Being the actor who played Moulder, I'll bet he gets his fare share of X-Files groupies.
Kinda reminds me of Michael Douglas. xD

@CBC: Ohhhh, sollyyy... *flees* ninja

*runs back*

You went to church camp? Is it fun? *flees again* ninja  

Tokioka

Minielf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:59 pm
cold_blooded_chick
They banned one of the GTA games after a few weeks on the shelf, then re-released after some censoring. I learnt that at church camp. 3nodding

Lol church camp!! rofl rofl It reminds me of the Band camp from American Pie. xd I didn't know people go to them here in Australia.

@Toki: Ah I think the problems with censorship over here has to do with the stupid configuration of our federal politics. Us East coasters are generally pretty relaxed about sex and violence; hell Big Brother was damn popular for many years mainly because we got to see tits and asses on live tv...but then it became complete garbage and got trashed. On the other hand, South and Western Australians are ultra conservative, and its those states that have held back on censorship and the R rating for games in particular.

Obtaining banned games overseas is a bit problematic as well. The PC's no problem, as anyone could easily download the entire game off Steam or something and burn it to a disc. Consoles on the other hand, have problems with region lock. Even if you get a chipped machine, imported games from the US will not be guaranteed to run smoothly.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm
That's why I said get a PAL console. razz

And even if you did download Fallout 3 from the net, wouldn't you need a seriously suped up computer to even play it?

Hmm, I really hate how censorship is applied to games yet films aren't given such a rigorous cross examination. It's so unfair.
At the end of the day, it's down to the retailers to ensure that R-rated films/games don't get into the hands of minors. Just cos a coupla kids are playing GTA 4, doesn't mean you can ban the game from a whole country and spoil it for the rest of the population.  

Tokioka

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:55 pm
Well duh all consoles in Australia are PAL consoles. However, imported games tend to come from the US, and I think they use NTSC, or at least are region-locked. And I don't think Fallout 3 would seriously tax an average $1500 computer these days, not with Quad core PCs becoming near ubiquitous. After all, it's nowhere near as graphically intense as Crysis, which I dare say has the best graphics ever.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 pm
User Image

Church camp?

I always think it's a kind of.. mental trick.. to make you associate religion with fun things.. sly, sly.

Niphz
Crew

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Less talking more pictures

<__<>__>

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:23 am
All that technical talk about videos and consoles makes my brain want to dribble out of my ears. xp

but yes, church camp, I did go. It was organised by a youth group thing, so just young kids and other young-ish adults as sort of care takers. And it was pure Asian, except for this one kid (who is totally rich and asked my friend out and she rejected him and now we always bag her out for it). And call it a trick if you want, but it was genuinely fun. We had this priest dude come and talk to her for about an hour in the morning about god and whatnot,t hen some Christian rock sing-along, and the rest of the day was spent just having fun - normal activities you'd do in a normal camp.

And I never went back.  

cold_blooded_chick

Tokioka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:55 am
^^ I don't like that rabbit's face. mad

Yeh the whole church camp is pretty much a form of brainwashing, albeit a very slight form. I've been asked many times by friends back home and really did want to go cos they sounded great. If they weren't religious then it would've been fine, just I was such a bible-basher that I wouldn't be able to sit through the services or bible discussion without feeling pissed off.

If one comes up now, I'll try it, and maybe go back if it's worth it. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:00 pm
Mn, I think I would be like that, Tokes. @CBC - I see I see~ I just always feel there's something slightly sinister about it.. maybe it's just my paranoid nature towards anything religious xD  

Niphz
Crew

mymiridon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:58 pm
i wonder why you don't just go to a regular camp. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:22 pm
We don't have regular camps, unless you're a scout or something. And I've been on plenty of camping trips with friends before, but you kinda just bum about the place and there isn't really a structured set of activities. Just chilling.

@Niph: Yeh, well to be honest, I wouldn't really care if I was brainwashed or whatever. Actually, I doubt I could be, unless it was some sorta intense course lasting a few months where they gradually broke down your defences, interrogation style.

Ryco asked me yesterday when I came back from this christian BBQ whether going to church was any good. I said it was alright. We don't do eff all on a sunday morning and listening to someone talk about ethics and certain things is kinda interesting. Plus you get to meet new people, and cos they're christians you expect them to be nice, good-hearted people. Which is the type of person I like to hang around.
Because I haven't converted yet, I'd say I'm akin to Edward Norton's character at the start of Fightclub. Like how he goes to all those therapy sessions and pretends to be one of the sufferers just to be around that type of people. Like a leech. I think I'm a leech. And it feels good. cool  

Tokioka

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:03 am
How can you compare Christians to terminally ill cancer patients? Besides, religion is about escapism, that film was a complete wake up call to the "real" world, however warped it is.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 510 511 512 513 514 515 ... 522 523 524 525 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games