Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Post your picture/ random pictures/dream avatars Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 511 512 513 514 515 516 ... 522 523 524 525 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:08 pm
User Image

Words like 'conversion' are what feel odd about religion.. if you believe, you believe; why this need to CHANGE yourself? I mean~ it's not really real for you if it's not part of you, is it?

..not sure I'm making sense~

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:23 pm
@CBC: Well it's not meant to be a perfect comparison, just a metaphor really.

Hmm, but how can you say religion is escapism if you don't know whether it's actually true or not? In the christians' eyes, we're the ones who are ignorant to the truth, not the other way round.

@Niph: Don't worry about the christians converting me with their bright lights and their crucifix shaped candy canes. Brainwashing probably works on children, but I'm a 20 year old man. I'm also a scientist, if you forgot - the most cynical of cynics. cool

I don't think you can really say, "if you believe, you believe."
Many people are brought up religious but they don't believe, they just go along with their family/culture. The true believers are those who haven't had religion forced on them, but have actually been touched by God and chose to follow him by themselves. This is what many of the christians at my church have experienced.

Why do I need to change myself? I'm not sure. Perhaps I've matured and realised that all this bible-bashing and pessimism, which is normal in our secular society, isn't the most healthy way of looking at things. Sure, it could all be a bunch of lies, but it could also be my ticket to salvation. Who knows? I think that's the question I'm trying to answer.  

Tokioka

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:12 pm
Tokioka
In the christians' eyes, we're the ones who are ignorant to the truth, not the other way round.

Touche.

We're just a bunch of humans who know nothing but that others are wrong. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:21 pm
I've finally changed my Avvie's appearance after god knows how long. Although it's only a slight change. I just had to try on the Rip-off Super Saiyan Aura that came with the latest MCs. xd  

Minielf

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:07 am
Sometimes, decorating avatars feels so pointless... neutral

And yet I must have all those items. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:35 am
I think I found someone in the CB with artwork by Tosh~
User Image  

cold_blooded_chick

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:55 am
User Image

You know what I hate? I hate it when people with really bad avatars buy really good art, it's such a waste~

@Tokes - No, I agree, I'm not trying to be like OMGCYNIC!Niph, I'm just naturally suspicious of it~ and I agree a 'true' believer should experience it for themselves, like you said - that's what I meant by 'if you believe, you believe' - because for them the belief is insurmountable. But it feels like the point of those camps and 'conversions' and things is to remove the need for people to experience it for themselves and just kind of.. make it seem attractive? Something like that~ I mean, I don't think religion should be something to be advertised - if you come to it, you should come to it of your own will, and not under the persuasion of others, really.

In all seriousness, though, Tokes, if you find that the Christian path suits you, I shall be supportive~ god knows I have enough friends of that persuasion xD

@CBC - It IS pointless, but hey, what's the point of being human if you don't do pointless things sometimes? xD But then.. I'm an ATer, and we don't quite see the world in the same way as everyone else... ninja burning_eyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:55 pm
@CBC: I'm with you on that one. My avi has never been fashionable, I kinda treated it as a puppet. It does in some ways give us more character as gaians and will be pretty important when ZOMG is released, but I doubt I'd mind too much if the avi system was removed.

@Niph: I think you're right to be suspicious. There are some pretty crazy extremists out there who're desperate to convert people to their religion, be it christianity, islam or whatever. Those people are the ones who give religion a bad name. They're not all fanatics who spout lies and then use sneaky methods to coax children and adults alike to join them. No. I think most believers are down to earth, civilised human beings. 3nodding

I agree with the advertising thing, it shouldn't really happen. However, I doubt that you'd experience so much advertisement, unless you were born into a christian family or went to a christian school. Otherwise you'd grow up pretty indifferent about religion, like most of england.

Well if I do fully convert then I'll definitely let you know. I mean, I'd let everyone know. It would have to have been an AMAZING vision... burning_eyes  

Tokioka

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:21 pm
User Image

I was in love with a Catholic, remember?

&& I'm glad we agree. (:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:37 pm
Haha yeh, how is she these days?

I presume she was still at Badminton for her A levels?  

Tokioka

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:55 pm
User Image

Let's just say that the situation likes to complicate and uncomplicate itself, seemingly randomly.

If you're ever on MSN I'll tell you, Tokes, I just don't really want to write a post about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 pm
Send me a PM. I probably won't be on msn much, cos we just got a tv today. And seeing as I haven't watched anything for a month and a half, I've got some serious catch up to do. whee

PS: Jonathan Ross were right funny. razz  

Tokioka

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:57 am
Something about the way Jonathan Ross speaks, it annoys me sometimes. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:00 am
cold_blooded_chick
Something about the way Jonathan Ross speaks, it annoys me sometimes. neutral
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Agreed.

@Tokes - I see I see. Maybe I will, then. Sometime.

Niphz
Crew

Tokioka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 am
^ You'd better not just be saying that... stare

@CBC: But he's such a loveable comedian! I can overlook his speech 'impediment' just because of his witty and often dirty quips. *chuckles*  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 511 512 513 514 515 516 ... 522 523 524 525 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games