Welcome to Gaia! ::

Angel Eclipse

Back to Guilds

A unique role playing community! 

Tags: Roleplaying, Fantasy, Adventure, Angel, Eclipse 

Reply Role Playing [Verspya]
Talking while you role play Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 521 522 523 524 525 526 ... 1662 1663 1664 1665 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KelpMonger
Crew

Friendly Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm

User ImageLucky, Durithill!

I only learned about it cuz I was hunting new anime to watch on FUNimation's youtube channel
User Image
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:27 pm

Well there's your mistake right there; Going to Funimation.
Try this site: http://www.fansub.tv/
All the unlicenced anime you can download.

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

Durithill the Black Blade

Dapper Gekko

14,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Battle: Rogue 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:29 pm

English voice acting is far from terrible. At least nowadays.
English voice acting in some older animes was pretty bad, but now they've got some real talent. In some cases, the Enlgish voice acting is definately better than the Japanese, like Samurai Deeper Kyo. In the Japanese SDK, Sasuke (who's a 15-year-old kid) has the voice of a 30-year-old man, Yukimura Sanada (who's a man) has the voice of a woman (and I mean obviously female, not a feminine male), and Hotaru has this deep voice that does not match his character at all.
The only reaon reasons to ever watch subs over dubs is if there isn't an English version (as is the case with .hack//Trilogy), or it's a live action movie.

@Estu: I scanned their website for things I think will look interesting, lol. There's a few that look good, but I just have too much to do, lol.
I learned about Darker Than Black 2 accidently as I was skimming random sites, lol.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:36 pm

*Bursts out laughing* Durithill, you have been SO misled it's sad. English dubs were completely horrible way back when the Americans thought it would be wonderful to put their own voices in(I still brain freeze at one old Astroboy episode. And I'm not even going to begin with the mistake that was English Speed Racer). But trust me on this one, it's not much better now. It went BACK in some respects. Like honorifics. Don't use them if you can't pronounce them! This is a brain fart from the 90's; STOP CHANGING THEIR NAMES!!! Stupid English dubs...I can honestly go on for paragraphs on this subject, having seen a lot of anime in my short life. The recording practice in NA is not even on par. There was one movie I saw that-I swear-had a vaccum running in the background which was definitely not in the Japanese version.

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

KelpMonger
Crew

Friendly Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:43 pm

User Image*Shrugs* I dun notice anything wrong with dubs.
Perhaps its a 'don't know what I'm missing', but still
And I dun hear the voices in the subs cuz I'M TOO BUSY READING THEM.User Image
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:46 pm

*strips panda and durit* XD

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:49 pm

You know, one time I decided to see if there really was a difference between the voice quality, so I watched two versions of the same episode. It was a particular episode of Death Note with Misa screaming. Yes, I can say it was badly done in English. The Japanese version sent shivers down my spine. I didn't even read the subtitles. Her screaming was enough to send the message across.
Another example of Anime done wrong, the last episode of AiR(and all the other episodes too but the last episode was worse at such an important time-the climax). Misuzu's auntie was obviously not into it at the final scene in the dub.
Something that happens all the time happened in the Tsukihime anime. "Master Shiki" instead of "Shiki-sama" never cuts it for me. Sorry. And giving Hisui an emotional voice when she doesn't have one in Japanese was an instant fail to me too.
These just came to mind at the top of my head. Which means there are many more out there.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:54 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*Sighs*
This another case of personal preference.
I personally can't stand reading what I'm supposed to be watching, especially since I'm a slow reader, and i sometimes have to stop the anime to read all of it.
That's me.
You prefer it, because you feel they have failed to appropriately dub things for some of your anime.
Durithill's view are similar to mine.
But none of us are going to change anyone's minds, so we might as well just not discuss it anymore.
/debate

In response to Puppet, my ostriches protect me.

KelpMonger
Crew

Friendly Friend

Dapper Gekko

14,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:56 pm

@Estu: You're not missing anything, lol.

@Ukyo: I already acknowledged that old anime dubs were bad. Speed Racer is deifnately a good example, lol.
And they're definately a lot better now. The reason that particular movie was bad was probably because it was picked up by some small name company with a low-tech sound studio as opposed to a major company like Bandai or Funimation.
Obviously if you switch languages there's going to be differences. That should go without saying. You can't exactly get a voice actor that doesn't know English to dub something: it would just sound completely horrible. Try watching something in English first for once, and you'll think the Japanese voices are wierd. It's all a matter of perception.

Edit: /debate, as declared by Estu.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 pm

I LUFF DEATH NOTE

*fangirl scream* heart L Lawliet heart

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

UkyoKuonji2004
Vice Captain

Feral Kitten

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:07 pm

You know...it's funny that I mentioned anime that has been licenced and released over here and I think you guys might have heard only Death Note and MAYBE Tsukihime(but only because of me). That's pretty sad...
I can't wait until the Kara no Kyoukai DVD's come out. I think it would be better to read than listen in English for sure, especially when Tohko starts talking about some pretty interesting but still morbid s**t. I really did have to pause those movies a few times to make sure I understand before they give me a WTF moment xd . Knowing my luck they'll make all the gory scenes have radioactive green blood or something...Another reason to hate Americanized anime...

And Durithill, that EPISODE I said I watched of Death Note? I DID watch the English first. I watched it and I was actually confused. The first thing that came in my mind after that scene was 'Are they abusing her? She sounds like she's enjoying torture... o_O ' so I watched the Japanese. Then it all became clear. So yes there is a difference. But since I can bet none of you have ever seen a subtitled anime without watching a dubbed version before/during/after, I guess you're right. I'm preaching to a choir. Or like what Dad says 'talking to the wall'. And Durithill likes the crap that comes on TV over here so yeah I guess there's not much to say. Estu's probably the same. I know that once 'anime' fans start liking that stuff that there's no way to change it. I managed to convert one person in my lifetime. I think that's an accomplishment.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:12 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.All Hail the Reign of the Ostriches!User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Let it hereby be announced that:
Wow. Itry to end this in a mature fashion, and you just come out as insulting.
Oh well, I tried my best.... ^_^;

Death Note was pretty awesome. Prefer things like FMA and DtB, though.

...that is all

KelpMonger
Crew

Friendly Friend

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:13 pm

ucchan i like both forms...

it really doesnt bother me unless the voice dub is really bad or i cant read the subs

and my friend kinda took offense to what you said sweatdrop
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 pm

estu what episode was it that ed is faced with the chance that al might only be a memory imprinted on the armour?

CactiAndCanaries

Quotable Elocutionist

10,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Dapper Gekko

14,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:16 pm

"Preaching to the choir" is a phrase that means to preach your viewpoints to someone who already understands and agrees with them. It is not synonomous with the phrase "talking to the wall", which means to try and talk to someone who won't even listen to what you're saying. And neither apply in this case.

Oi, and when did I say that? I think I mentioned watching Naruto a year ago, at which time I also said I watched it for something to watch rather than something I actively sought out to watch because I enjoyed it.
And I definately know I said I wasn't a fan of DBZ.
Role Playing [Verspya]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 521 522 523 524 525 526 ... 1662 1663 1664 1665 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games