Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 537 538 539 540 541 542 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:14 pm
Well, I expect there are several Nobel winners who have come from Cambridge. But there is currently at least Stephen Hawking. Y'know, the guy in the wheelchair. My friend saw him in M&S Food... D:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:45 pm
mymiridon
@jenniiexpho: lol. je vois. Quel est le probleme?

there are many.. or maybe it's the fact that i never finish my homework. hmm  

jenniiexpho

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:48 pm
Niphz
I have SUCH a British accent. xD

On the continent university is free. In Britain you have to pay 'tuition fees' but they're not payable until after you complete your course, ie until you have money to pay for them yourself. Living costs and things are expensive but it's perfectly possible to get a student loan which covers it (on which you pay no interest). (:

So actually, if I go to France it will actually be CHEAPER than England because prices over there are slightly cheaper anyway AND I won't pay any tuition fees. ;D Good deal all round, really.

It's really annoying how Oxbridge don't let you have a job during term-time. But then again, the terms are extremely short (8 weeks each) so you could easily get a job in the holidays and earn a fair amount. 3nodding

@yalie - The cello teacher at my school, Hugh Grant is her first cousin.. xD

YES. TAXES ARE HIGH. INCOME TAX IS AROUND 40%. D: AND PETROL (YOU AMERICANS CALL IT GAS, OR SOMETHING) IS SOOOOO EXPENSIVE. AROUND £1 A LITRE. THAT'S 2 DOLLARS A LITRE. THAT'S MORE THAN 7 DOLLARS PER US GALLON. That's why we find it so ridiculous when Americans complain about their petrol (or gas, or whatever) prices... -___-"

Oh, in Britain you have government funded courses as well, where you education is subsidised and you only have to pay the government back once you've earned enough income. Are the terms half-yearly terms or quarter-yearly terms? 32 weeks of study a year isn't considered short by my standards. Here in Australia, we have 12 week Semesters. meaning only 24 weeks overall. Hence I have more than half a year of free time to work full time/part time. mrgreen And OMG, your cello teacher is related to Hugh Grant?!! eek

Sin: Meh, fine by me. Practically all international flights out of Australia have to go through Sydney Airporty anyway. As long as you don't make me actually exit the airport before we meet I'm fine with that. But on the other hand, once we come back from Britain, you have to follow me to Melbourne before you can return to Sydney. pirate  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:39 pm
Well, I don't actually play the cello, but I know her through orchestra and stuff. She's a really horrible person though.. -___-"

We have three terms // year. (: Most unis have 10-week terms, our school has 10-12 weeks and most normal schools have 11-14 weeks, I'd say. The terms vary, it all depends on where Easter falls and stuff..

Semesters are for people who forgot how it worked back in England and made up a new word. P;

// just realised //

I'm SO elitist about language... XD

Niphz
Crew

mymiridon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:33 pm
lol, in that case my uni has 4 month semesters for fall and spring, and we have a 2 month summer term for those who want extra studying of course that's prolly harder and more costly. The way my uni charges for tuition and stuff is prolly different from other schools since it's private, but there's a lot of pros and cons to it. pros i'm getting a fabulous education, cons i hate my current roommate and I'm not doing so well in my research and argumentation class because I'm stupid stare
anyways they charge the same amount for 9 or more credit hours so right now i was assigned 14 and next semester I'm going to add on more. I mean if it's going to be the same might as well take as many as i can keep up with and get out of here asap (I do like my school though... just can say much for some of the people stare )  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:43 am
*is too tired to write a proper reply plus I have nothing of interest to say*

mrgreen

*yawn*  

Chibito7

Princess Rhode
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:00 am

mini;;
depends on whether i decide to leave the same time as you do. o:

niph;;
i le'ove your british accent. o: <3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:03 am
gyah!! the weekend's passing soo fast gonk  

mymiridon

` T a p i o c a `

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:56 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Niph - I meant there was actually a Nobel Prize winner walking around in the Uni...dunno if he's a teacher/proffeser there or not...
M&S? o.O
You mean Marks and Spencer?
My cousin saw Hawking twitching or spazzing out in a bed ._____.

yalie - I agree TT^TT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:39 am
ninja  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Chibito7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:28 pm
*sighs with relief* The party went well.

Niph, if you see this, don't bother talking to me on msn. I'm not on. Too tired. whee Must. Sleep.

After this of course. xd ninja  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:44 pm
@789 - Yeah, Marks and Spencer. I just assumed everyone called it M&S Food.. xD

@sin - <3 haven't heard your voice! So unfair. D:

@yalie - Hmm, it's strange, 'cause.. over here, the private schools are generally much better than the comp ones but the universities [NOT "colleges" Px] are the other way round.. in fact I'm not even sure there are any private unis although I suspect there are a v. small number of them. And the thing about liking the school but not the people applies to everywhere. P:

Niphz
Crew

Minielf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:01 pm
Niphz
Well, I don't actually play the cello, but I know her through orchestra and stuff. She's a really horrible person though.. -___-"

We have three terms // year. (: Most unis have 10-week terms, our school has 10-12 weeks and most normal schools have 11-14 weeks, I'd say. The terms vary, it all depends on where Easter falls and stuff..

Semesters are for people who forgot how it worked back in England and made up a new word. P;

// just realised //

I'm SO elitist about language... XD

Semesters sound cooler than terms. xp And 3 10-12 week terms still add up to 30-36 weeks of tuitition a year, which is still longer than universities in Australia. My university runs on a similar plan to Yalie's, with 4 month semesters of 12 weeks each for Autumn and Spring. There's a 2 month Summer term for people who want to do extra courses, as well as a 1 month Winter recess.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:42 pm
Chibito7
Xu-san, you have such a long name. eek

ninja

Yeah, I meant it to be my password, but... anyway. neutral

@Niphz I am doing fine, thank you. I transferred to a new college, moved to a new apartment, got a new roommate. A lot of school work. But almost everything that happened to me past few weeks is new.

How about you people?

P.S. My new roommate is from Korea.^^  

Etaf Evael

xoCrow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:44 pm
I'm still in high school, but I plan to study in Japan for a semester. I wanna do international business, and major in Japanese as well. P: Blah me for being one of the few people here in America.

User Image

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 537 538 539 540 541 542 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games