Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

` T a p i o c a `

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Aishhh.
I hate it when things that you did study aren't on exams D"=

Hope you did well t0sh ^________^)b

Ewh. Reminds me that I have a Maths Exam on March 3rd x______X

Ahh, congrats to t0sh for getting the scarf =O
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:54 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

@Elf: Gee, You're so supportive. = A=;;
It doesn't count?! Eh? Well, it never hurts to do good in school... xD

@Sapphire: 8D Sankyuu.
O: G'luck on your exam~

t0shi0
Crew

Receiver

Chibito7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 am

Tosh's avie looks so pwetty. 4laugh

@Mini: Well, Niph applied for Law... which, yes, is awfully hard to get into. I want to do English, which isn't meant to be quite as hard, but this is Oxford we're talking about here... xd Anyway, doesn't mean I'm not gonna give it my best shot. 3nodding

Goodness knows what I'll become afterwards though. confused
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:31 pm

I'm sure you'll get into English at Oxford. It's not that sought after is it? And I bet the entry requirements are much lower than say Law and Medicine. I'm studying at the second best university in Australia, Melbourne University, which compared to other universities is considered to be elitist. I only go in because I had Arts as a second backup plan; my initial preference was to do Commerce and Arts as a double degree.

Tosh: Sorry if it sounded like I was dissing you. Of course it's important to do well in school. But one bad exam shouldn't get you down, since you're not sitting for the college entrance exams yet. There's always room for improvement. At least you're not in the situation like Niph is where a slightly lower score in one exam jeapardized her chances of getting into Cambridge.

Minielf

Chibito7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Actually... Oxford is um... well. Ever heard of the Oxford English Dictionary?

xd

Basically, Cambridge has always been 'better' for sciences, and Oxford, the arts, such as English. All the politicians here, e.g. Tony Blair, basically graduated from Oxford. It's meant to be the harder one to get into for English, and apparently it's very competitive. It is Oxbridge after all. So... actually, my friend's friend, who is an utter genius, got rejected from Cambridge for English, so... my chances of getting in? Phff. xd Still gonna try though. 3nodding
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 am

all the smarties here... give me some of ur brain cells!

i think i can go to the best uni in singapore.. but going to oxford, yale, cambridge, etc will probably give me some brain damage due to stress XD

kisa watched some debate on channel news asia..
it was between yale and oxford, and also from other schools around the world.. they debated in chinese..

and omg.. i think my chinese wasnt up to their level either... v_v
except for pronounciation wise.. some of them had an english accent to it.. but other than that i think im such an embarrassment compare to them.. T^T

*secretly touches tosh's angelic scarf* oo.. so such expensive material i can only dream of having one...

soumakisa

Chibito7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:02 am

*glomps kisa*

*eyes kisa's avie* But Kisa-chan, can you not just sell all that wonderful shiny and expensive looking stuff for a scarf? xd
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:01 am

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. t0sh - Thanks >_______<
I need it.

B&B - I don't think Kisa would still have enough for scarf after selling her avi's outfit .______.
I think Kisa needs to sell her entire invo xDD

` T a p i o c a `

mymiridon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:49 am

I've actually got it planned out. Since I couldn't get into yale for undergrad I'm going to try again for graduate school and this time I'll nail the exam and probably the interview if they require one. Other wise I'll run away to England and take a gap year if I can't get into Oxford T.T
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Chibito7
Actually... Oxford is um... well. Ever heard of the Oxford English Dictionary?

xd

Basically, Cambridge has always been 'better' for sciences, and Oxford, the arts, such as English. All the politicians here, e.g. Tony Blair, basically graduated from Oxford. It's meant to be the harder one to get into for English, and apparently it's very competitive. It is Oxbridge after all. So... actually, my friend's friend, who is an utter genius, got rejected from Cambridge for English, so... my chances of getting in? Phff. xd Still gonna try though. 3nodding

Oh yeah Oxford Dictionary. xd Even so, that shouldn't discourage you from giving up hope. The situation here in Australia is roughly the same. The university I'm studying in, Melbourne University, is by far the number one 'Arts' university in the country. But in terms of sciences it's not as good as Australia National University in Canberra.

Minielf

soumakisa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:14 pm

*glomps b&b*

haha.. i think even if i sell my whole inventory it wont be enough..

Singapore's Uni (NUS) used to rank top 20 in the whole world.. but now it dropped.. crying

the top 20 currently are..

1 MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
2 STANFORD UNIVERSITY
3 HARVARD UNIVERSITY
4 PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY
5 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BERKELEY
6 UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
7 UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MADISON
8 UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA
9 UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS URBANA CHAMPAIGN
10 CORNELL UNIVERSITY
11 UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AUSTIN
12 UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
13 UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
14 COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY NEW YORK
15 UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO
16 TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY F
17 UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA LOS ANGELES
18 UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
19 UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
20 PURDUE UNIVERSITY

UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE - 27
PRINCETON - 36
OXFORD - 37
YALE - 41
AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY - 47
UNIVERSITY OF TOKYO - 61
UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE - 128
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:27 am

May I just point out to 'elfy that even science at Oxford and arts at Cambridge are, like, a million times more difficult than other British unis. And souma, where ARE those rankings from? On here it is a very different picture.. >>;;

And before you ask, I'm at school and terribly bored.

Niphz
Crew

Chibito7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:55 am

*glomps Niph and kisa*

*laughs at kisa's rankings* Those... are odd rankings. I mean, for me, I always envisaged Hardvard to be no. 1, with Oxbridge following in second and third place. Yale I supposed was fourth, but yeah, I agree with Niph's table. 3nodding I didn't know Imperial was so high up there though! I guess Princeton isn't a surprise though. UCL is pretty up there too... Thank goodness I don't think I'm applying to either Imperial or UCL, though so many people will be in my year, and all the other girls at my school.

*raises eyebrow* Is that Angelic Scarf really that expensive...? sweatdrop My my. The things people do for materialistic objects. xd But well done again, Tosh. *looks at the... piece of white pixels in awe at how much it is 'worth'*

@Mini: Nah, I haven't given up hope yet. I'm the type that can't help but hope until everything is well and truly over. sweatdrop But on the other hand, I'm honestly not that confident. I guess, intellect-wise I have the potential; I just don't have the motivation and ambition for a place like that. *muses* Everyone there is honestly so... driven. I wonder how I would fit in if I did get in. confused

*laughs at yalie* I like the sound of that plan. blaugh
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:09 pm

Niphz
May I just point out to 'elfy that even science at Oxford and arts at Cambridge are, like, a million times more difficult than other British unis. And souma, where ARE those rankings from? On here it is a very different picture.. >>;;

And before you ask, I'm at school and terribly bored.

Well that's what would you expect from a world class university. Of course every degree is going to be difficult to enter at Cambridge or Oxford.That's why those who do get in are inevitably the most hardworking students in the nation. It wasn't easy getting into Melbourne University either; it's the second best university in Australia after all. I got into Arts by only half a percent. Any less and I'd have missed out altogether.

Kisa: Those rankings are completely skewed. There's no way that the top 20 universities in the world ALL come from the United States. Surely Cambridge and Oxford rank in the top 4. And how come Yale's ranked so low? It's almost as good as Harvard.

B&B: Don't worry about not fitting in with the other uni students. Just worry about trying to get in in the first place. wink Before I got into uni, I too was worried that I wouldn't keep up with other people, especially at such a prostigious universities. But you'll find that university is a lot more relaxing than high school. At high school the competitive atmosphere is so intense that even gifted students may find themselves left behind, as I was. But at university it's more of a race against yourself than aganst other people.

Minielf

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 577 578 579 580 581 582 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games