Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
.::Introduce Yourself (or face a life of lurking...)::. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:43 pm
alteregoivy
Dathu
alteregoivy
Hajimemashite! I'm Ivy, and aspiring translator (for Japanese). I'm 24 and live in the US.

I was Christian through my teens until I turned 15 and I fell in love... with another girl. Yeah, Southern Baptists aren't too keen on homosexuality. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the Church always said "if every word of the Bible isn't verbatim truth, none of it is." I couldn't figure out why God would condemn any kind of love, and that was sort of the crack in the armor. From that point I started thinking a little more logically, and although I've tried on a lot of different religious hats, I've always stuck with a "secular humanist" attitude. I took a staunch position of agnosticism... until I read The God Delusion. Now I consider myself an Atheist in the "absence of belief" sense. Not that I'm 100% sure there is not a higher power, but I think it's pretty darn unlikely and live my life on that assumption.

嘘!俺も。大学で勉強するか?

いいえ、もう卒業しましたよ。自分で日本語能力試験のために勉強しています。合格したら、大学院に行くつもりです。

ところで、私のギルドに見に来ませんか? xd

xd And this is where I switch back to English: I was in that guild for a while (a few years back), but I left because at the time, I was still in my Japanese classes, and it felt like doing work when I wanted to play.

For some one who studied on their own, you seem pretty comfortable with the language. I have four years under my belt, and it still took me several reads and a little kantango to full translate your sentences (kanji >_<).

Since my full time job has nothing to do with my major (hurray for the economy) I'm horribly out of practice.

Who knows, if I get back into it, I may stop by, and if you want, feel free to start a Jap-Chat thread. I'll try to post every once in a while, or when I feel I can accurately understand what's been posted. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:17 pm
Dathu
alteregoivy
Dathu
alteregoivy
Hajimemashite! I'm Ivy, and aspiring translator (for Japanese). I'm 24 and live in the US.

I was Christian through my teens until I turned 15 and I fell in love... with another girl. Yeah, Southern Baptists aren't too keen on homosexuality. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) the Church always said "if every word of the Bible isn't verbatim truth, none of it is." I couldn't figure out why God would condemn any kind of love, and that was sort of the crack in the armor. From that point I started thinking a little more logically, and although I've tried on a lot of different religious hats, I've always stuck with a "secular humanist" attitude. I took a staunch position of agnosticism... until I read The God Delusion. Now I consider myself an Atheist in the "absence of belief" sense. Not that I'm 100% sure there is not a higher power, but I think it's pretty darn unlikely and live my life on that assumption.

嘘!俺も。大学で勉強するか?

いいえ、もう卒業しましたよ。自分で日本語能力試験のために勉強しています。合格したら、大学院に行くつもりです。

ところで、私のギルドに見に来ませんか? xd

xd And this is where I switch back to English: I was in that guild for a while (a few years back), but I left because at the time, I was still in my Japanese classes, and it felt like doing work when I wanted to play.

For some one who studied on their own, you seem pretty comfortable with the language. I have four years under my belt, and it still took me several reads and a little kantango to full translate your sentences (kanji >_<).

Since my full time job has nothing to do with my major (hurray for the economy) I'm horribly out of practice.

Who knows, if I get back into it, I may stop by, and if you want, feel free to start a Jap-Chat thread. I'll try to post every once in a while, or when I feel I can accurately understand what's been posted. sweatdrop

Haha, I doubt you were in my guild a few years back; I just created it! rofl In our guild, I will nearly always put the English translation of what I'm saying.

I think I may have misled you; I haven't been studying by myself all along. I started out studying in college, but now I'm out of college, I'm trying to continue studying, because I really didn't get the language skills to back up my degree. I need to be truly fluent to get into the Masters program I want to, and I'm not *quite* there yet.

Anyway, hope to see you around. ^_^  

alteregoivy

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:30 pm
User Image
Now I have no idea what guild I was in. Right after reading that, I looked to see if I could find it... Since when were there so many Japanese guilds? User Image

Oh well, anyway, in our department we had a saying "You're not fluent 'til you've worked there for a year." Needless to say, I never got to study abroad. crying

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 am
Dathu
User Image
Now I have no idea what guild I was in. Right after reading that, I looked to see if I could find it... Since when were there so many Japanese guilds? User Image

Oh well, anyway, in our department we had a saying "You're not fluent 'til you've worked there for a year." Needless to say, I never got to study abroad. crying

I did live there for 3 months, but.... And unfortunately, I won't be able to go back at least until after I have my degree. So I have to do it the hard way. crying  

alteregoivy

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:20 pm
Divided and conquered. Gripped by fear.
Wishful thinking that it can't happen hear..

User Image

I've been here for a wile, but haven't been very active.
Name's Yuri.
<3

User Image

It's well underway but nobody knows.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:25 pm
Hello~ My name is Devyn and I've been an Atheist since I was about 14. My dad used to take me to these Evangelist meetings [when I was 10] and they'd scare me to death. I remember one where they said the apocalypse was coming and that at the sound of these loud trumpets, Jesus would come out of the sky. Every time I heard a train or a loud noise, I'd have a panic attack and be thrown into a fit of phobic fear. Damn you Christians!

After 3 more years of living in fear that I'd go to hell (I used to watch tv shows and they'd say Goddammit or other curse words and be scared if I even thought of the word), I decided enough was enough and that there was really no proof to what most of these nuts were saying. I had read the bible back to back for my bible study classes and thought it was a bunch of bullshit.

I finally admitted to myself that there wasn't enough proof in my eyes to know there was a God. And after humanity has lived through many Apocalypses, I became more happier and less frightened. I ended up being diagnosed with PTSD from all those scary meetings and church goings but has since faded away.

I recently wrote an essay on why I reject religion which I'd like to share sometime here.

it's great to be here! :3  

BONK Atomic Punch

EATSMEATS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:44 pm
Name: EATSMEATS or Kary

If you must know:
I like video games and food. I'm joining the Air Force soon and can't wait! I'm a proud Atheist since 2004 (thats when I started to give a crap about that sort of thing) I like geeky things like electronics, gadgets, gizmos, K'NEX, Legos, Computers, and just about anything else that has an electrical current or has something to do with it (like sci-fi movies/books) A big fan of Batman. And I dislike closed-minded, pushy assholes. I'm engaged to a beautiful blonde who is almost as geeky as me. =)

Anything else you would like to know you can PM me

And if you want to know about the Air Force or military you can ask me. I will answer as many questions as possible and find out the ones I don't know. Or help you find a nearby a recruiter.

I'm looking forward to talking with you all! =)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 pm
Hello all! It's great to be here.
You can call me Ness (like the lake monster) or, if you want, you can just say Heaven.
I became an atheist about a year ago - that is, that's when I started thinking that religion didn't make a huge amount of sense. Being a logical person and liking to know why I should believe in things, I thought of reasons why a god would exist, and I really couldn't come up with anything he would do that would affect the world and cause it to behave differently, so...
I talked it over with one of my Catholic friends and she was very concerned. She thought it was an issue of trust or lack of love, and she spent most of the year trying to change my mind. But I kept writing, and I realized there really wasn't a god.
I don't suppose any kind of "evidence" could convince me now of the presence of a deity. For a character based on faith... of which I have none, it would be difficult.
So I'm a solid atheist.
Unfortunately, I haven't told my family because my dad is a fanatic Catholic and my mom converted when she married my dad. Everyone else is also religious, except for my brother who got the strength to tell my father he was atheist.
I hope I haven't been too long-winded.  

Eccentric Detective

EATSMEATS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:05 pm
tearingXheavenXdown
You can call me Ness (like the lake monster) or, if you want, you can just say Heaven.
I became an atheist about a year ago - that is, that's when I started thinking that religion didn't make a huge amount of sense. Being a logical person and liking to know why I should believe in things, I thought of reasons why a god would exist, and I really couldn't come up with anything he would do that would affect the world and cause it to behave differently, so...
I talked it over with one of my Catholic friends and she was very concerned. She thought it was an issue of trust or lack of love, and she spent most of the year trying to change my mind. But I kept writing, and I realized there really wasn't a god.
I don't suppose any kind of "evidence" could convince me now of the presence of a deity. For a character based on faith... of which I have none, it would be difficult.
So I'm a solid atheist.
Unfortunately, I haven't told my family because my dad is a fanatic Catholic and my mom converted when she married my dad. Everyone else is also religious, except for my brother who got the strength to tell my father he was atheist.

welcome! I like your siggy. And why would you like to be called Ness if you don't mind my asking. Anyway I hope you enjoy your time here ^.^

and maybe we can help you tell your dad eventually.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:08 pm
EATSMEATS
tearingXheavenXdown
So I'm a solid atheist.

welcome! I like your siggy. And why would you like to be called Ness if you don't mind my asking. Anyway I hope you enjoy your time here ^.^

and maybe we can help you tell your dad eventually.

smile Thanks.
Ness is actually part of my name, but I'm not supposed to give out too much personal information online, just in case one of you gets all scary and starts stalking me. (Dunno why that would happen, but... Whatever ^.^) So you just get my nickname.

I like these forums, and I wish people would post more. I love debating pirate

I hope someday I can tell him - right now it would be kinda awkward, since he's super-religious and he practically shunned my brother for saying he was atheist.  

Eccentric Detective

DarkHyacinth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:40 pm
Hm but lurking is so much fun....
Ah well I'm DarkHyacinth agnostic!
Anyways I'm raised Christian, and now forced Christian, my parents say as long as I live with them I have to go.
It all started when someone asked me what I believed, I happily replied I was a Christian. I was happily coasting not really thinking about my beliefs just blindly accepting without really thinking about it. Then they asked me why and I thought to myself "I guess I've just been raised" the answer really made me sad to think about. That I'd been letting others think for me all these years. I'm a part of my church youth group and they're all very kind and warm hearted people, but my friends are so grounded in their faith and talk down about non believing friends. Anyways I just don't feel like I pray or attend church other than I feel obligated, I know I'm supposed to talk to the sky and somehow a magic man up there who doesn't really seem to care is listening? I know I'm supposed to practice cannibalism, by eating the blood and body of some guy who died on the cross. But I realized it was just a mindless routine that didn't mean anything to me.
So yep
sorry that's long  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:43 pm
Hi all! I'm Subliminal Techno and I'm a freshman in high school (don't hate, I'm pretty far ahead of my age group). I was raised blindly evangelical and heavily conservative and refused to listen to any opposing side. As far as I was concerned, you loved God or you burned in hell. Then as I went through this not-so-beautiful process called puberty, I began to realize what an ignorant idiot I was being. So I became an atheist with my own beliefs. My mom accepts that and is perfectly fine with it, but my dad was and still is outraged by it. I can't tell my grandparents, and as far as they're concerned I'm a God-fearing child. The end!  

Subliminal Techno

Eccentric Detective

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:37 pm
Hiya DarkHyacinth and Subliminal Techno!
Glad to have you with us.
And don't worry about being too young, Techno, I'm only a sophomore myself ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 pm
Hi All

I'm MyBrotherJake.

I'm 43, a software developer and too old to be a rock guitarist. Never really got the 'god thing' so never really had a 'conversion'. I like to read pop science and comedy, play guitar and have a laugh.  

MyBrotherJake

Erlea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:08 pm
Hello all! Erlea here. Just found this whole Gaia Online thing yesterday and one of the first things I did was to poke around for any atheist guilds. Nice to see there are some. smile

I was raised in a pretty conservative Christian sect (the CRC) and went to an even more conservative church when I was in my teens. The behavior of folks who attended the church led me to questioning a lot of that behavior, then the CRC itself, then Christianity, then religion in general. And here I am, oddly enough (or maybe not) a much happier human being. I'm sort of jealous of people who weren't raised religious and don't have all that baggage to unload.

Anyway, hope to see some of you around!  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces