Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 580 581 582 583 584 585 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm
Nope, no Dee Jay or Thunder Hawk. I wonder why they left them out...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:55 pm
Just a friendly FYI to anyone thinking about seeing the movie "Quarantine". Please make the smart decision and pass on it or you can to expect to tear out both of your ears and eat them. Saw an ad that it was being released tomorrow.

**carry on...  

MM-212 Beta
Captain

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
I was thinking of checking it out...Why should I skip it? What's wrong with it?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 pm
Thee Stranger
Yeah, and take out the whole Fatalities novelty, and what has Mortal Kombat got on Street Fighter? Nothin'. It's got nothin'. Hell, even with them, it's still got nothing. And MK doesn't get more points just because a frikkin' pint of blood flies out of the back of the characters heads every time you punch them in the face. I'm not knocking the Fatalities, but MK's main gimmick doesn't really have much to do with it's gameplay, which is no where near as good as Street Fighter's. Go back and play the original MK, and then go back and play the original Street Fighter II. Which plays better? Which one's gameplay has pretty much stayed the same for nearly 18 years now because it's so good?

Umm, well, to be completely honest with you, I'll play the original MK over SF2 any day. Yes, the original MK is more fun than Street Fighter 2. And MK3 is more fun than SF Alpha, or any other slightly sped up version of Street Fighter they released since then.
The violence is a major added bonus, but Mortal Kombat has always been plain fun. And I can't say the same for Street Fighter, I really can't. After 3 or 4 fights, it gets boring.

Thee Stranger

.... are you being serious right now? "More importantly"? That's not important at all. Actually, it's completely irrelevant. Umm... who gives a s**t? I sure don't. And since when have you become such an advocate for attractive male characters in gaming? And I'd say Vega was the real SF pretty boy, but here's Ken:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Looks pretty enough to me.

So let me type this out again, so I can get it straight in my head... Mortal Kombat is better than Street Fighter, because MK is bloodier and more importantly, SF's male characters aren't attractive? Do you have some idea how ridiculous this sounds?

Can we see some real criticism now, please?

I'm not talking about attractiveness, though in the in-game world that's what it would succumb to. I'm talking about art direction in general. The art, the way the male characters are drawn (and now modeled) is ugly. And yes, art direction, art style is very important to me. It's not all about gameplay. The other part of it is the characters, how they look. The levels, etc. If things like that didn't matter, a lot more people would have warmed up to the big head Link in Wind Waker. But many people still take that version of Link as a joke. Art style does matter.

Thee Stranger

Oh, King of Fighters. Yeah, that's a pretty good game. It's a lot like Street Fighter.

Hey, now that you mention it... isn't that a spin-off of the Fatal Fury & Art of Fighting series'? And now that I think real hard about it, wasn't Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury II, Art of Fighting, and pretty much every other fighting game SNK has done heavily inspired by Street Fighter II? And the gameplay and graphical styles are quite similar to SF as well, if I recall correctly. Matter of fact, I'd say that the games are nearly identical, and that KoF is a generic clone of SF. Isn't that the whole joke of the Dan character in the Street Fighter series? That he's a parody of all the generic clones of the Street Fighter characters that are predominant in all the SNK fighting games?

Well, who cares if KoF came AFTER Street Fighter. I'm not talking about originality here, even though I though the creators of KoF came up with much better character designs than Street Fighter ever did. I'm simply talking about mere execution. Sure, Street Fighter did it first, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that KoF did it BETTER.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MM-212 Beta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 pm
Stranger to Paradise
I was thinking of checking it out...Why should I skip it? What's wrong with it?
The movie starts off slow, anything good starts to happen about half way through, by that time the stupid b***h screams NON-STOP through the rest of the film. Well actually I left about 3/4 into the movie. Couldn't take it anymore. So really don't care how it ended. But if your an adventurer, then knock your socks off.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:41 pm
If you want a GOOD horror movie for a change, and not one that's revolved around a piece of technology, that's based on another movie from Japan, then check out The Unborn. I loved it. It was scary. The backstory was great. It was so refreshing.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MM-212 Beta
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:48 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
If you want a GOOD horror movie for a change, and not one that's revolved around a piece of technology, that's based on another movie from Japan, then check out The Unborn. I loved it. It was scary. The backstory was great. It was so refreshing.
Is that the new one in theaters? I'm not too fond of Japanese-style horror, but if its worth it, then...  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:03 pm
But... That was my point.. It's NOT based on something Japanese. It's the first scary Western Horror movie I've seen in a long while.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:26 pm
First scary Western Horror movie you've seen in a long time? Stop looking towards Hollywood for that...There's a bountiful amount of good s**t out there if you search in the right places, usually in the dark, shadowy spots...Hee hee.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:30 pm
Stranger to Paradise
First scary Western Horror movie you've seen in a long time? Stop looking towards Hollywood for that...There's a bountiful amount of good s**t out there if you search in the right places, usually in the dark, shadowy spots...Hee hee.

Yes, but that's like finding a good Wii game. There's a lot of gems out there, but they're buried in piles of fillers and failures. And the place that would have these gems, usually has a really large selection, so the failures are out there too. So other than finding some total horror movie nerd who's seen them all, I don't see how looking through the heap of underground movies improves my chances.

I mean, not all bad horror movies have obvious names like, "Vampire Nuns From Outer Space."

Either way, The Unborn is definitely worth seeing.

Scare factor wise, how was My Bloody Valentine 3D?  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:38 pm
Umm, I prefer to be called horror movie aficionado, thank you very much. And if you need to be scared, I can recommend some good under the radar flicks...And you don't need to search forever if you know exactly where you need to be searching.

My Bloody Valentine wasn't extremely scary, but it did make me jump a couple of times with the neat 3D tricks it employed.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:39 pm
But it wasn't boring or too long or anything?

Alright, let's hear some recommendations.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:58 pm
Try out monster movie flicks Splinter or Feast, they're both bloody brilliant! If you like Robert Englund, you'll love him as the head monster in Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer. It's not really scary, but it packs the thrills of old school monster mayhem flicks! Try out Dario Argento's finale to his Three Mothers trilogy, The Mother of Tears! Well that's not Western Horror, but still! It's Dario Argento! Hatchet is a an original Slasher flick that will give you the scares that you so seek (And laughs, as well)! Let me compile a major list later on so as to list the best I can recommended.

P.S. Sorry to hear you self-demotion. Now, where can I sign up? Just kidding, just kidding!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 pm
I'll definitely give those a look when I get my next paycheck.

Hey, man, it's cool. Like I said, this isn't my territory anymore. Now, I just gotta wait til Beta demotes me, since I can't seem to do it myself.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:58 am
Biohazard EXTREME
Umm, well, to be completely honest with you, I'll play the original MK over SF2 any day. Yes, the original MK is more fun than Street Fighter 2. And MK3 is more fun than SF Alpha, or any other slightly sped up version of Street Fighter they released since then. The violence is a major added bonus, but Mortal Kombat has always been plain fun. And I can't say the same for Street Fighter, I really can't. After 3 or 4 fights, it gets boring.

Well, okay. I personally think that Mortal Kombat has always been a mediocre fighting game with a cool novelty. If it wasn't for that novelty and the overall shock value and controversy it had back in the 90s, nobody would give a s**t, and it'd be long forgotten by now, along with all the other mediocre fighting games that came out around the same time, trying to capitalize on Street Fighter II's success. And the Fatalities novelty has pretty much worn off for me, so I don't really bother MK anymore. Gore is all over the place now. MK needs to step up it's gameplay. Admittedly, they've tried. They've changed the gameplay and brought the series into full-fledged 3D, but it's still mediocre. But, thank you for giving some real criticism.

Biohazard EXTREME
I'm not talking about attractiveness, though in the in-game world that's what it would succumb to. I'm talking about art direction in general. The art, the way the male characters are drawn (and now modeled) is ugly. And yes, art direction, art style is very important to me. It's not all about gameplay. The other part of it is the characters, how they look. The levels, etc. If things like that didn't matter, a lot more people would have warmed up to the big head Link in Wind Waker. But many people still take that version of Link as a joke. Art style does matter.

Well, I disagree. It's not ugly. SFIV looks (and plays) beautiful. Have you seen the levels in SFIV? If you want to talk about ugly, go back to all the oldschool MK games with it's digitized characters and its dull, washed-out backgrounds. The character model's movements are stiff and choppy, and it's pretty stupid looking when gallons of blood fly out the back of your head when you get punched in the face. And I don't see how you could say that you dislike Street Fighter's art style, but then have no complaints about KoF's, which borrows heavily from Street Fighter in its art style as well at its gameplay. And finally, the in-game sprites in the Street Fighter games never had 'tree stump' faces. Box art doesn't count.

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, who cares if KoF came AFTER Street Fighter. I'm not talking about originality here, even though I thought the creators of KoF came up with much better character designs than Street Fighter ever did. I'm simply talking about mere execution. Sure, Street Fighter did it first, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that KoF did it BETTER.

Doesn't matter? If it weren't for Street Fighter II, you wouldn't have KoF, and you wouldn't have Mortal Kombat either, for that matter. Street Fighter II created the fighting game genre as you know it today. Any standard fighting game that you play nowadays is using the same template that Street Fighter II created all those years ago. That goes for Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter; everything. And even if you think that KoF does it better (and it doesn't), give credit where credit is due. That still says nothing for KoF other than that it retreads old ground well. That'd be like saying Alone in the Dark doesn't matter. Well, it does. If there was no Alone in the Dark, there'd be no oldschool Resident Evil.  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 580 581 582 583 584 585 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games