Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Silmarillion: A Group Reading [update 4.12.05] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:21 pm
211 solar years, to be exact. 3nodding

And, of course, when I say 'exact', I mean give or take a few.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:00 pm
Those of you on my friendlist should have access to my journal. This is relevant because I have posted a quick summary of the Annals of Aman in there. It gets up to the Kinslaying.

I figure it might be useful for those of us reading the Silmarillion.

If you aren't on my friendlist... well, that's your fault for not asking. wink

EDIT: I suppose I should mention that I converted Valian Years into solar years, because it's easier for us to work with solar years. Helps a lot, I find.  

Falathrim

Zurgi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:37 pm
Falathrim
Those of you on my friendlist should have access to my journal. This is relevant because I have posted a quick summary of the Annals of Aman in there. It gets up to the Kinslaying.

Oooh, ooh, I'll go check it out.

I've already read that. Damn. And I was excited about it too -__-  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:40 pm
Actually, you've probably only read the first half. A lot of it is just stuff I edited in 15 minutes ago.  

Falathrim

Zurgi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:39 am
Ah, okay. I'll check that out again then.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:06 am
You know what? I haven't read the reading yet, but I figure it's about time I shared one of my favorite Morgy quotes.

Melkor the Morgoth
Still in the dark depths Melkor stood, gnawing his mind, between evil hope and doubt; but when he had stood, revolving his chances, as long as his urgency allowed, he turned away and went down to the shore. There, he cursed the Sea, saying: 'Slime of Ulmo! I will conquer thee yet, shrivel thee to a stinking ooze. Yea, ere long Ulmo and Osse shall wither, and Uinen crawl as a mud-worm at my feet!' With that suddenly he passed from Avathar and went to do his will.

Of course, much better when read alongside the actual reading.  

Falathrim

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:28 pm
That is an awesome quote. Morgoth is so angry. I bet he went home and wrote really scathing journal entries in verse all the time.

Yeah, well, it was funny when I thought it up.

I haven't read the readings yet either. Very very bad. Since I have schoolwork to do first, I will probably end up posting on Thursday. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:52 pm
Nimbrethil
That is an awesome quote. Morgoth is so angry. I bet he went home and wrote really scathing journal entries in verse all the time.

Yeah, well, it was funny when I thought it up.

I haven't read the readings yet either. Very very bad. Since I have schoolwork to do first, I will probably end up posting on Thursday. sweatdrop

I read them at school yesterday.
I really liked reading and understanding how Melkor went and destroyed the trees. I was so in to it almost gasped in the middle of class ><" It is so sad for me when trees are harmed. sad  

Imyavie

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:46 am
Nimbrethil is Never Late; She Posts Exactly When She Means To
I wanted to read the corresponding stuff from Morgy's Ring to go along with this, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Stupid school. Anywho...

Of Feanor and t he Unchaining of Melkor
I guess the most interesting part of this chapter for me was the bit about Finwe's remarriage and its causes and consequences. Did I read somewhere that Indis changed her name to show solidarity with the Noldor (or something) when she married Finwe? Something about the 's' versus 'th' sound? And there was something with how Feanor versus everyone else wanted to pronounce 'Serinde'? Is that something that happened or am I crazy?

Anyway, as much as it's disappointing (in a way) that Melkor was set free so easily, I don't see how it could have happened any other way. It's hard to think about Manwe not being able to comprehend evil. It's interesting, but strange. Seems they should ask Mandos for an opinion more often before they do things, though. Not that he'd give a clear answer.

Of the Silmarils
I always liked this chapter. It's exciting how volatile Feanor is. And it's inspiring how noble Fingolfin is. That scene with the sword drawing is kind of Shakespearean, if you know what I mean. I like it. And that's about all I have to say about that.

Of the Darkening of Valinor
Ungoliant is the coolest name ever. Actually, the whole concept of Ungoliant is just cool. Just had to get that out of the way.
A Really Great Quote
There was silence in Valinor, and no sound could be heard, save only from afar there came on the wind through the pass of the mountains the wailing of the Teleri like the cold cry of gulls. For it blew chill from the East in that hour, and the vast shadows of the sea were rolled against the walls of the shore.

As sad as this chapter is, it's very exciting as well. I like it a lot. There's enough description that you can imagine the feeling of stunned anger and helplessness and grief. Great stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:48 pm
In HoME XII, there's a mention of everyone wanting to say it like 'Serinde', but Feanor wants to keep it as '(Wierd P-like thing)erinde', as it had up until that point been said. Feanor had the right idea, but he was such an a** about it (he caused civil strife amongst the Noldor) that they went with Serinde anyway.

Of course, it's not just Serinde that the change affected; that's just the reason Feanor stuck up for the wierd P-like thing.

Stupid Gaia not accepting special characters...  

Falathrim

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:20 pm
By 'weird p-like thing' do you mean the thorn character (which is 'th' like in 'the')? I'm pretty sure it's thorn and not eth. Eth is that weird 'd' with the bent and crossed stem.

Anyway, why the sound change? People just decided to speak differently one day?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:22 pm
Even the languages of the Elves change over time. Quendi, Sindarin, Telerin... all were derived from the same tongue. Feanor opposed this slow evolution is some manners. And WOW was he an a** about it.

I'll TRY and get the reading done tonight. If not, I'll just comment on Morgy's Ring's version.

Read the Athrabeth!  

Falathrim

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:42 pm
I'm gonna post in two or three parts because I don't really have time to read all three chapters all at once. Kay?

OF FEANOR AND THE UNCHAINING OF MELKOR

Lots to say on this chapter.

First of all, it makes me grin, realizing that Chris chose to completely ignore the Statute of Finwe and Miriel in the published Silmarillion. No mention at all of the great debates between the Valar concerning remarriage. No mention at all of Justice in an Arda Marred, and Hope that the Marring may be undone. The final fate of Miriel is ignored completely. Hardly is Finwe's depression acknowledged.

Geez.

And we don't even get to hear about what happens to Finwe and Miriel after the Darkening of Valinor, which is a pity, because I thought it was one of the best parts of the story. Oh well.

As for the Statute itself, it should be noted that in this place is the one time I find Manwe to say anything likable. My respect for him actually somewhat rose with this declaration!

Only for it to collapse utterly when he releases Melkor. Idiot.

OF FEANOR
But Ulmo was not decieved, and Tulkas clenched his hands whenever he saw Melkor his foe go by; for if Tulkas is slow to wrath he is also slow to forget. But they obeyed the judgement of Manwe; for those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel.

For the love of... when your Glorious Leader ******** up, you say something! I don't care if he's King of the World, it's not a ******** rebellion if you say "Err... Manwe, I don't think you made the right decision..." Good lord. A bunch of idiots, they are...  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:48 pm
Ok I finished reading the last chapters. Better late then never!

I really despise Morgoth. And if it wasn't for that, I would probably not like Manwe right now. I read something that Manwe did that I really didn't like and actually got me thinking "You know, Manwe's not all that great..." but then the next paragraph had Morgoth doing his evil thing and I intentionally forgot what it was that I didn't like that Manwe did and then all was normal again.

I do agree with Falathrim. Just because some one is your leader, doesn't mean they can't be wrong. I personally would have said something to Manwe. And if not directly to, seeing as I'm a bit of a coward, I would have whispered it loudly in his hearing range.

And on a final note, I don't get why no one noticed that Ungoliant was near the trees. Especially if Valinor was being gaurded. You'd think at least one person would have noticed.  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Imyavie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:32 pm
Falathrim

For the love of... when your Glorious Leader ******** up, you say something! I don't care if he's King of the World, it's not a ******** rebellion if you say "Err... Manwe, I don't think you made the right decision..." Good lord. A bunch of idiots, they are...

Seriously! I mean, Manwe was rather retarded to let Morgoth out just like that. Aren't Tulkas and Ulmo Valar too? Pfft....

Kinda ahead here, but I loved reading about how Morgoth's hands burnt from the Slmarils. I like how from then on, anyone who would call out would here echos of someone yelling out in anguish....that'd be cool to try. For me, at least.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff