Jesus is Lord!
  Amen!
View Results

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:11 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

Dear Shadows-shine,

Drinking alcohol is not wrong unless you are taking a Nazirite vow (Numbers 6:1-4). It is drunkenness that is a sin. The reason is that drunkenness leads to brawling, boasting, and more. To have say, a glass of wine with dinner, is not a sin.

Drinking alcohol leads to drunkenness. It's all bad. Because from the very first drink, the ability to think and reason becomes impared. So then the person starts to rationalize thinking they are okay, then they drink more and more then become drunk. Both are bad and sinful. Think about it, if God says drunkennes is wrong then that would also mean drinking alchol is wrong.
Quote:
It's similar to sex. The act itself is not evil if you are married and it is with your spouse. However, adultery and pre-marital sex are both wrong.
No, having sex and drinking alcohol are different. Sex is an act of love between the husband and wife. You can't compare drinking with sex, because to me it says some thing like, "well it's okay to drink if you're of proper age, but underage it's bad." You just can't use the two in a scenario together when talking about wrong or right ways for handling them.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Drinking leads to drunkenness. True. And eating food can lead to overeating or gluttony. Does that make eating a sin?

No. And drinking alcohol isn't a sin, either.

It's about practicing self-control (one of the fruit of the spirit) and moderation. The glass of wine example from earlier is actually good for you. And do not forget that Jesus Himself made wine through one of his miracles, and drank it often.

But He was never drunk. And that's the key.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:19 pm
Shanna66
i just finished reading the parts about noah today. so yes im still at the begining ( i had alot of chores to do this week and not much time for reading)

why did god make everyone live for so long then decide we should lot live past 120?

also why was adam so quick to blame eve? he took no blame on himself for eating the fruit. as soon as god accused him of eating it he just pointed his fingers at his wife like she had put a gun to his head. though maybe im just looking too much inmto it and the writer forgot to add the rest of the conversation.

and what happened to cain's decnedents after the flood? did they survive?

Some scientists speculate that something happened when God made rain fall from the sky that changed how long people lived. Before the great flood, the world had never had rain before. Water sprang up from the ground.

If I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, God decided that humans wouldn't live past a certain age because of all the sin that was going on. This was something He decided shortly before flooding the world.

It wasn't just Adam. When Adam blamed Eve, she blamed the snake. Lol. It's in our nature (sin nature) to put blame on others. That's why Adam blamed Eve and then Eve blamed the snake. As soon as they ate the fruit, they were cursed with sin nature. That was their first sin.

Only Noah and his descendents survived the flood, along with the animals God chose. Everything else was washed away in the flood. I believe the flood is what killed the dinosaurs, along with other creatures that may have been around before then like the giants and nephilim. The dinosaur thing is more speculation on my part. It's not directly in the Bible.

As for reading the Bible, I actually wouldn't suggest starting in Genesis, though that isn't a bad place to start. I would start by reading the Gospels. Now which gospel you read first depends on what interests you most. If you're looking for solid, hard facts, read Luke. If you're looking for a bunch of miracles, read Mark. If you're looking for a good, overall look at Jesus' life, read Matthew. And if you want a gospel with more imagery and symbolism, read John. All four books are fantastic and, when combined together, work in perfect harmony.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:56 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
Shanna66
i just finished reading the parts about noah today. so yes im still at the begining ( i had alot of chores to do this week and not much time for reading)

why did god make everyone live for so long then decide we should lot live past 120?

also why was adam so quick to blame eve? he took no blame on himself for eating the fruit. as soon as god accused him of eating it he just pointed his fingers at his wife like she had put a gun to his head. though maybe im just looking too much inmto it and the writer forgot to add the rest of the conversation.

and what happened to cain's decnedents after the flood? did they survive?

Some scientists speculate that something happened when God made rain fall from the sky that changed how long people lived. Before the great flood, the world had never had rain before. Water sprang up from the ground.

If I remember correctly, and I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, God decided that humans wouldn't live past a certain age because of all the sin that was going on. This was something He decided shortly before flooding the world.

It wasn't just Adam. When Adam blamed Eve, she blamed the snake. Lol. It's in our nature (sin nature) to put blame on others. That's why Adam blamed Eve and then Eve blamed the snake. As soon as they ate the fruit, they were cursed with sin nature. That was their first sin.

Only Noah and his descendents survived the flood, along with the animals God chose. Everything else was washed away in the flood. I believe the flood is what killed the dinosaurs, along with other creatures that may have been around before then like the giants and nephilim. The dinosaur thing is more speculation on my part. It's not directly in the Bible.

As for reading the Bible, I actually wouldn't suggest starting in Genesis, though that isn't a bad place to start. I would start by reading the Gospels. Now which gospel you read first depends on what interests you most. If you're looking for solid, hard facts, read Luke. If you're looking for a bunch of miracles, read Mark. If you're looking for a good, overall look at Jesus' life, read Matthew. And if you want a gospel with more imagery and symbolism, read John. All four books are fantastic and, when combined together, work in perfect harmony.

ok, i think ill start reading luke tonight. thankds for telling me that  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

Drinking leads to drunkenness. True. And eating food can lead to overeating or gluttony. Does that make eating a sin?

It's about practicing self-control (one of the fruit of the spirit) and moderation. The glass of wine example from earlier is actually good for you. And do not forget that Jesus Himself made wine through one of his miracles, and drank it often.

The only reason why Jesus drank wine is because it was cleaner than the water back in His time. The water back in His time was not treated for bacteria and diseases like our water is today. Also the wine that was used in biblical times didn't have near the alcohol content that wine today has. It was actually closer to grape juice.

And there are conflicting studies about whether a glass of wine a day is good for you. So I'm gonig with my conscience on the matter.

Eating food doesn't impare ones senses no matter how much you eat. While no matter how much alcohol some one drinks their senses are impared.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:48 pm
In Genesis it states that on the second day God created an expanse between the waters, but land wasn't created until the third day right? In a few versions of the Bible it states that it was sky between the waters, but clouds are...under the sky right? or part of it? some people i have asked think that it was entirely above the sky, clouds and all, some think that what Gen. 1:6 meant was that instead of being all water that God created the sky, and that the water above it is clouds.

surprisingly there is a bit of scientific evidence of this that matches up with the first seven days, but does this count as christian science or as evidence that it was indeed divine creation and not chance?

X

help a confused sister?  

DoubleHTripleZ

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 pm

The sky parts two bodies of water.
One body of water is the ground water (oceans, seas, lakes, rivers).
The other body of water is the air water (in the clouds, the condensation).

After reading the little article you posted, I think we can probably gather that it's both Christian science and evidence that all life was created by divine power.

We must, however, be careful not to make the Bible fit science. Science must fit the Bible, and it can and will if people use it correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:53 pm

ARGH FALOOGLE!

I made a mistake! stressed

Let me fix what I told you.

Okay, the sky parts two bodies of water in Genesis.

Genesis 1:6-8

Then God said, "Let there be a space between the waters, to separate the waters of the heavens from the waters of the earth." And that is what happened. God made this space to separate the waters of the earth from the waters of the heavens. God called the space "sky".

This suggests a sandwich, with the sky being in the center of two bodies of water. It's interesting that clouds are "under the sky", along with lakes, rivers, and other bodies of water.

So, what do we do?

Sometimes in the Bible, the sky is referred to as the heavens. Other times, the Kingdom of Heaven is known as the heavens. In this case, God refers to the sky as the sky, meaning that the heavens and the sky are separate. The water he refers to that is above the sky is the water of the heavens.

There is land and water in heaven. God is referring to the sky separating the water here on earth from the water in heaven.

This means that the water under the sky includes clouds, lakes, rivers, and all other forms of water here on earth. Then you have the sky. After the sky, you have the waters of the heavens.

Now of course, heaven is a spiritual place and not a physical place. Otherwise we'd be able to get to it with space ships and such. So we don't see the water above the sky. razz

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:15 pm
Shadows-shine
Scarlet_Teardrops

The only reason why Jesus drank wine is because it was cleaner than the water back in His time. The water back in His time was not treated for bacteria and diseases like our water is today. Also the wine that was used in biblical times didn't have near the alcohol content that wine today has. It was actually closer to grape juice.

And there are conflicting studies about whether a glass of wine a day is good for you. So I'm gonig with my conscience on the matter.

Eating food doesn't impare ones senses no matter how much you eat. While no matter how much alcohol some one drinks their senses are impared.

Mark 7:15

"It's not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart."

Drinking alcohol is not a sin, nor does it defile you.

We could keep going back and forth forever, so I think we'll just have to disagree with each other on this. You made some good points, I'll have you know. God bless. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 am
Ok I have a couple questions.

1. Is the Catholic religion wrong for baptizing young children when they don't understand why they're being baptized, loving the pope, praising statues of Mary and such, and doing what they want as long as you say a few hail Mary's? ( I seriously don't mean to offend anyone I just want to know)

2. What does the Bible say about church? I had a girl tell me that as long as your good you don't have to go to church. She also thinks that you can drink, dance, listen to whatever, curse like a sailor, and pierce what you want as long as you repent.

And is roleplaying wrong? I don't roleplay as a homosexual or with magic or anything. ( Again I don't mean to offend anyone.)  

FillerBunny093

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:26 am
FillerBunny093
Ok I have a couple questions.

1. Is the Catholic religion wrong for baptizing young children when they don't understand why they're being baptized, loving the pope, praising statues of Mary and such, and doing what they want as long as you say a few hail Mary's? ( I seriously don't mean to offend anyone I just want to know)

I personally believe infant baptism is wrong. I believe in the age of accountability (age cool . The person being baptized has every right and privilage to choose whether or not they want to do that, an infant does not understand that concept, nor have they committed any sins to repent of. I believe that humans are born sinless and innocent, so what point and purpose would there be to the baptism if the infant had commited no sins and doesn't understand the point of the baptism?

And about the Catholic church doing the hail Mary's, I think that's wrong, and I also consider it to be a form of idolotry, because technically they are praying to Mary instead of Heavenly Father.
Quote:
2. What does the Bible say about church? I had a girl tell me that as long as your good you don't have to go to church. She also thinks that you can drink, dance, listen to whatever, curse like a sailor, and pierce what you want as long as you repent.

The Bible isn't specific about Church. It does encourage fellowship though. I believe going to Church on a regular basis helps a person out. And the girl you know is misinformed. Repentance has to come from the heart. You can't just go out drinking and partying, come home, repent because you feel a little guilty, then go back out and do the same thing over and over again. That's not true repentance.

Quote:
And is roleplaying wrong? I don't roleplay as a homosexual or with magic or anything. ( Again I don't mean to offend anyone.)
I dont really have an answer for this one. You just need to act according to what your conscience tells you to do. Ask Heavenly Father what He thinks, then decide what you should do about role playing.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:18 am
What does the Bible say in respects to the End Days, specifically HOW it will begin to come about?

I want to do some research on this subject, with my own bibles I have at home. Feel free to list the scriptures. I want to know how the translations may or may not have differed or perhaps how certain terms were worded. And, I also wish to prepare for this time, because I sense that if it were going to happen, now seems like a very likely time, because of the NWO plans that the Worlds' Governments are talking about...  

Nero-Sama

7,650 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200

Skibblez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:50 pm
reuben alexander
Proverbs 13:24
"He who spares his rod hates his
son,
But he who loves him
disciplines him promptly."

My father isn't around to discipline me or any of his other children.
So, he hates me, no?
He occasionally tells us he loves us. But I disagree.
Because he doesn't show it in action.
So is this scripture meant to be taken literally?
I personally think it's meant to be taken literally,
but I could be mistaken.

Granted I have a Father. And He loves me dearly.
I know this.
Proverbs 3:11-12
"My son, do not despise the
chastening of the Lord,
Nor detest His correction;
For whom the Lord loves He
corrects,
Just as a father the son in
whom he delights."

the word hate is in different ways throughout the bible. there is even one verse where it says we must hate ourselves. obviously God's not telling us to depise who we are and have a low self esteem, he's simply saying we need to look past our own wants and desires and do what's best for the kingdom of God. in the passage you speak of the context of hate means that the un-attentive father simply doesn't care about what is best for his child. not necesarily the he despises you and wants you to die. smile i hope that helps  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:06 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

Okay, so I've noticed several Christians these days coming out and saying "Evolution doesn't go against the Bible". I don't understand if they're trying to win over people who are Atheists and such or what. All I know is that I have to disagree. Reason:

"Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground." Genesis 2:7

Bang. There are no monkeys or anything like that. In fact, Adam wasn't even child. He was a man, a grown adult.

Also, how He created Eve:

"While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man's ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man." Genesis 2:21-22

The Big Bang theory doesn't work for the Bible either, because God had first created the earth and had put vegetation on it when He decided that the sun and moon would be created.

If anyone can tell me how these do not contradict Evolution and the "Accident", please do.

actually not only does the bible contradict evolution, but so does genetic science. as a human we have 46 chromosomes correct? well you'll find as speciecs get smaller they have a greater number of chromosomes. i believe a dog has close to 90 if i remember correctly. anyway darwin didn't study genetics. in genetics, if a human, or any species, is born with a missing, or extra, chromosome it results in either severely handicapping disorders or death. with that said, it would be impossible for one species, say a fish, to evolve into a land animal, or further down the road to monkeys and birds and humans. to evolve the creature would have to lose numberous amounts of chromosomes, resulting in death of any product of evolution. so evolution is scientifically impossible... but you won't see that taught in schools anytime soon.
on the big bang theory.. scientists and mathmaticians have confirmed that the stars and galaxies are all moving outward from a singular point. although i like to think that is simply where God spoke smile  

Skibblez

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:10 pm
Skibblez
Scarlet_Teardrops

Okay, so I've noticed several Christians these days coming out and saying "Evolution doesn't go against the Bible". I don't understand if they're trying to win over people who are Atheists and such or what. All I know is that I have to disagree. Reason:

"Then the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground." Genesis 2:7

Bang. There are no monkeys or anything like that. In fact, Adam wasn't even child. He was a man, a grown adult.

Also, how He created Eve:

"While the man slept, the Lord God took out one of the man's ribs and closed up the opening. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man." Genesis 2:21-22

The Big Bang theory doesn't work for the Bible either, because God had first created the earth and had put vegetation on it when He decided that the sun and moon would be created.

If anyone can tell me how these do not contradict Evolution and the "Accident", please do.

actually not only does the bible contradict evolution, but so does genetic science. as a human we have 46 chromosomes correct? well you'll find as speciecs get smaller they have a greater number of chromosomes. i believe a dog has close to 90 if i remember correctly. anyway darwin didn't study genetics. in genetics, if a human, or any species, is born with a missing, or extra, chromosome it results in either severely handicapping disorders or death. with that said, it would be impossible for one species, say a fish, to evolve into a land animal, or further down the road to monkeys and birds and humans. to evolve the creature would have to lose numberous amounts of chromosomes, resulting in death of any product of evolution. so evolution is scientifically impossible... but you won't see that taught in schools anytime soon.
on the big bang theory.. scientists and mathmaticians have confirmed that the stars and galaxies are all moving outward from a singular point. although i like to think that is simply where God spoke smile

i 100% believe in the big bang theory. i see no reason not to as it basicly proves that there is a god. something cant just happen from nothing with no reason. i believe god was a bit bored and decided to begin his pet project known as the universe ^.^  
Bible Questions and Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff