Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Characterization most butchered Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Londo Mollari

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:02 am
In the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen it says:

"For a moment Aragorn gazed in silence, but fearing that she would bass away and never be seen again, he called to her crying, Tinuviel, Tinuviel! even as Beren had done in the Elder Days long ago.

Then the maiden turned to him and smiled, and she said: 'Who are you? And why do you call me by that name?'

And he answered: 'Because I believed you to be indeed Luthien Tinuviel, of whom I was singing. But if you are not she, then you walk in her likeness.'

'So many have said,' she answered gravely. 'Yet her name is not mine. Though maybe my doom will be not unlike hers. But who are you?'"

So, if Luthien was the most beautiful of all the Children of Illuvatar, and Arwen is her likeness, then it follows that Arwen is the most beautiful of the Children still living in the third age.

Galadriel is said to be the greatest of the Eldar still living in Middle Earth, being the daughter of Finarfin, son of Finwe, the first King of the Noldor. In the Silmarillion she is said to be most beautiful of all the house of Finwe - "her hair was lit with gold as though it had caught in a mesh the radiance of Laurelin." Therefore, she was quite beautiful, but it does not say ever that her beauty exceeded that of Luthien.

Consider also the words between Eomer and Gimli in Book VI, Chapter VI (Many Partings).

"...'You shall judge,' said Eomer. 'For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady of the Golden Wood that lie still between us. And now I have seen her with my eyes.'

'Well, lord', said Gimli, 'and what say you now?'

'Alas!' said Eomer. 'I will not say that she is the fairest lady that lives.'

'Then I must go for my axe,' said Gimli.

'But first I will plead this excuse,' said Eomer. 'Had I seen her in other company, I would have said all that you could wish. But now I will put Queen Arwen Evenstar first, and I am ready to do battle on my own part with any who deny me. Shall I call for my sword?'

Then Gimli bowed low. 'Nay, you are excused for my part, lord,' he said. 'You have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning. And my heart forebodes that soon it will pass away for ever.'"

So....I lost my train of though. Oh yes.

Based on these examples from the text, I have to say that I do not think that Galadriel and Arwen were miscast, as both were exceptionally beautiful actresses. And, incidentally, I will have to agree with Gimli on this issue, I happen to find Cate Blanchett more attractive than Liv Tyler.

Which is a windbaggy way of saying that I don't think that her characterization was butchered. Whew.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:06 am
This is embarassing, it seems I just basically rehashed my own post from several months back. Oh well.  

Londo Mollari

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:24 pm
Very good points made, and good references ^^ I would still disagree on the actresses though o.o; But that's just my personal preference razz  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:38 am
I like that! Although I don't remember reading some of that...ah well only halfway through rereading Two Towers....

Did anyone say Galadriel's character was butchered?

Anyway at least our previous argument of 'who was fairest' between Arwen and Galadriel can be left to personal preference then, such as the beauty of morning and evening.  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:21 pm
Well we had the "who was fairest" thing, and I thought Galadriel was in the books and I thought her actor wasn't as pretty as Arwens and that stuff razz  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:19 pm
How can you compare two godess? I don't know who is the best, 'cause I love both of them!  

Eudor16

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:51 am
xd cute!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:16 am
Lol, your female companions in your life must absolutely adore you!  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:55 pm
It's cute blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:31 am
I was actually referring to Eudor16 comment.....but you are just as cute as well.

This is sooooo off topic.....  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 pm
Hmmm let's see. Any more complaints? razz  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:47 am
Complaints? Not from here... smile

I think the characterization that I was most disappointed with was Faramir's; I was chilled to see how ruthless he had become on the big screen, though I think I understand why it was done so.

And on a side note: the storyline alteration that I was most disappointed with was Eomer's; I had really wanted to see him at Helm's Deep, fighting his way out with Gimli and Gamling and the others who were cut off from the main battle. And to see him lay his sword at Theoden's feet once released from where Grima had locked him away...  

Nerienda

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:46 am
I agree!! I really wanted to see the cave fight from the book crying It's rather sad gonk  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:44 am
I agree with you Nerienda, Faramir was so much better in the book. His character in the movie was so weak, and although it did show Denethor's expectations and how it conflicted with Faramir's strengths and weaknesses.

He was v. cool at Osgilliath though.

I was annoyed at how Boromir was portrayed though. He was alot "hotter" and more intelligent in the book. Well at least I thought so....

Actually in the book the chracter's were more intellegent in genral...perhaps the movie producers had to dumb it down for the general audience or perhaps it was to save time...either way it killed some of the characters.  

Rudhe
Captain

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:00 pm
I completely agree. By reading the books you get a completely different view of the characters, you learn who they actually are. You learn to respect them, how they all have dignity, and how they are all truly amazing people. The movies I think had to cut a lot of background out to save time, they mainly focused on Aragorn and Arwen of course, it's to be expected. I definitely liked Boromir and Faramir more in the books though!  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff