Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply o.O A forum!! | !!murof A O.o
WHY HAS NO ONE YET DISCOVERED HOW TO BUILD A ROBOT!?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Free MONEY
  GIMME GOLD GIMME GOLD GIMME GOLD
View Results

Tenshi the Lost

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:13 pm
shampoos_sis
I do believe in allot of things that most people will dismiss as being crazy, I am not legally mentally ill in any way, I was brought up to be very respectful to my elders, and obey orders, (you could say I am a human android) if I seam angry at any time in my words I am really just trying to, be clear so there are no misunderstandings.
No worries at all. This is a discussion, and many opinions may seem harsh, but they are probably just wordy, or very direct. If you where to type an entire sentence or paragraph in caps, that's different  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:59 pm
Yoichiro Tsukasa
shampoos_sis
I do believe in allot of things that most people will dismiss as being crazy, I am not legally mentally ill in any way, I was brought up to be very respectful to my elders, and obey orders, (you could say I am a human android) if I seam angry at any time in my words I am really just trying to, be clear so there are no misunderstandings.
No worries at all. This is a discussion, and many opinions may seem harsh, but they are probably just wordy, or very direct. If you where to type an entire sentence or paragraph in caps, that's different
i try not to use caps, ther to time consuming...  

Fiare La Amato

Fiare La Amato

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:19 pm
Yoichiro Tsukasa
you_die!!!
shampoos_sis
Yoichiro Tsukasa
Hopefully so, but if they where, and the AI grows to consious levels, wouldn't that go against the fact of it having rights a bit? Constriction of free will? Then, as I mentioned earlier, the problems might start, albeit in a few at first.
people are you could say naturaly racist, they will not give a robot any rights untill you can prove its humanity.(i am no speaking for my self just my understanding of humans)

thers a nother safty device for things like that, a three year life span, its garented to "die" in three years.

I would have to quite agree with you because of what I have had to suffer in school because of my ideas.

I would have to disagree with you because I do not plan on adding an AI, unless I would be able to program it to only learn functions, and nothing more, for example, it would learn how to, say, bake bread, instead of how the bread is truely made and how all the ingreadiants are processed. NOTHING WOULD BE LEARNED THAT WOULD ALLOW IT TO, IN THEORY, CREATE A MIND OF ITS OWN AND REALIZE THAT IT HAS TOTAL FREE WILL. All that I am saying is that if an AI WERE installed, I would only let if function under the fact that it would be able to teach the robot to learn how to do different functions. Nothing would be put on the robot that could harm a human, such as a knife or firearm, except the fact that it would probably have the strenght of about 4 full grown men.

You mention that it would "die" in three years, please elaborate more on that because what I see is people just dismanteling a robot because it didn't do something that was against its programing.
So you don't want a true robot at all? Just a slave, or mechanical "do it for me" mechanism? Isn't the true dream of all who study robotics to make a more lifelike, self opperating mechanical being?
it is but that is somthing that i exspect not to be in the near future, what he want's to make is much simpler and more likely to happen in my life time.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:26 pm
blak flame
have you seen the matrix? or terminater? its probably because we know if we do we'll all die

Yes. (Amazing movies by the by.) But if this was to occure. Especially if we had a warning. Couldnt we try to make ourselves....robots also. In the process?  

ChestyMorgan

my dog ate my sanity
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:12 am
shampoos_sis
Yoichiro Tsukasa
you_die!!!
shampoos_sis
Yoichiro Tsukasa
Hopefully so, but if they where, and the AI grows to consious levels, wouldn't that go against the fact of it having rights a bit? Constriction of free will? Then, as I mentioned earlier, the problems might start, albeit in a few at first.
people are you could say naturaly racist, they will not give a robot any rights untill you can prove its humanity.(i am no speaking for my self just my understanding of humans)

thers a nother safty device for things like that, a three year life span, its garented to "die" in three years.

I would have to quite agree with you because of what I have had to suffer in school because of my ideas.

I would have to disagree with you because I do not plan on adding an AI, unless I would be able to program it to only learn functions, and nothing more, for example, it would learn how to, say, bake bread, instead of how the bread is truely made and how all the ingreadiants are processed. NOTHING WOULD BE LEARNED THAT WOULD ALLOW IT TO, IN THEORY, CREATE A MIND OF ITS OWN AND REALIZE THAT IT HAS TOTAL FREE WILL. All that I am saying is that if an AI WERE installed, I would only let if function under the fact that it would be able to teach the robot to learn how to do different functions. Nothing would be put on the robot that could harm a human, such as a knife or firearm, except the fact that it would probably have the strenght of about 4 full grown men.

You mention that it would "die" in three years, please elaborate more on that because what I see is people just dismanteling a robot because it didn't do something that was against its programing.
So you don't want a true robot at all? Just a slave, or mechanical "do it for me" mechanism? Isn't the true dream of all who study robotics to make a more lifelike, self opperating mechanical being?

Not necessarily. Not all people's dreams are the same. Where one person looks at the concept of robots and thinks hm, now here is something that, if build properly could serve us without any hassle, another could think This is a chance to make a completely man-made man in a technical sense instead of a physical one
It's all a matter of what you want from the product.
I think the real draw is to be able to say "It is a self-sustaining, humanity helping robot," (even if the way it helps humanity is just by making the little things in life easier) "and I made it".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:34 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Fiare La Amato

Atarashii Luna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:23 pm
Yeah, now aculy do it and you'll see how hard it is. stare

(IQ=161) mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:27 am
... I don't know what my IQ is ...  

my dog ate my sanity
Crew

Super_Chihuahua
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:25 pm
They're working on it, but trust meh, it's a LOT harder then it looks. I mean, they've only JUST made a working Prosthetic limb...

Actually, that thing was cool (but kinda ugly. Scratch that. REALLY UGLY). They managed to cut open some guy who lost both his arms, pull out a few key arm nerves (I'd hate to be THAT plastic surgeon...) attached them to wires in the arm (which took them forever to build on it's own) and now the guy can pick up a glass! But he has to wear a bunch of weird equipment (a big plastic chest-and-back plate to keep the arm on) and it looks really hard to pick up the glass using the arm.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:18 pm
my dog ate my sanity
shampoos_sis
Yoichiro Tsukasa
you_die!!!
shampoos_sis
Yoichiro Tsukasa

Not necessarily. Not all people's dreams are the same. Where one person looks at the concept of robots and thinks hm, now here is something that, if build properly could serve us without any hassle, another could think This is a chance to make a completely man-made man in a technical sense instead of a physical one
It's all a matter of what you want from the product.
I think the real draw is to be able to say "It is a self-sustaining, humanity helping robot," (even if the way it helps humanity is just by making the little things in life easier) "and I made it".

I rather agree on this. I am the one who designed it. I would rather have it function to the prupose of a simple job, for example, a baker. It would be programed to make any bread, treat, and edible that used flower or of the pastry nature. Another robot could be programed to function as a lawyer (or however you spell that) and help to determine the true culprit. It would be best because of no natural racism or pregeduce that humans have, and the punishment could be easily decided by factoring in how many people the crime effected (groups of people, not seperate people) and give a fair punishment.

My main design was to employ the creation of robots to serve every function. Now after considering that this would take up about trillions of gigabites of memory, one group of functions if enough.

you_die!!!

you_die!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:25 pm
Atarashii Luna
Yeah, now aculy do it and you'll see how hard it is. stare

(IQ=161) mrgreen

I already know how hard it is to build someting as complex as a robot. I can design, I never said that I would build the thing. I only said that I have DESIGNES for a robot. I cannot program anything, or build anything on this scale! I never said that I would!!! And I find it really annoying that people put words in my mouth saying that I would BUILD the robot. Quote, "I have designes for a robot" close quote. I said these words. read the first page. The designing simple requires the processor to allow motors to funtion upon a certain reaction to the enviornment around it in accordance to verbal commands by a human! The main processor would determine what was said, analyz the statement, and follow it's programing in accordance to the statement, in theory, and allowing it to move its limbs in accordance to what it sees and what is required in order to fully compleat the function.

I am sorry if it sounds like I am flaming you, I am not, but it really just ticks me off when someone says something I didn't say and act like I had or was going to.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:34 pm
Super_Chihuahua
They're working on it, but trust meh, it's a LOT harder then it looks. I mean, they've only JUST made a working Prosthetic limb...

Actually, that thing was cool (but kinda ugly. Scratch that. REALLY UGLY). They managed to cut open some guy who lost both his arms, pull out a few key arm nerves (I'd hate to be THAT plastic surgeon...) attached them to wires in the arm (which took them forever to build on it's own) and now the guy can pick up a glass! But he has to wear a bunch of weird equipment (a big plastic chest-and-back plate to keep the arm on) and it looks really hard to pick up the glass using the arm.

In order for a prosthetic limb to function properly, it must be fused to all nerve cords, and be light enough to be fused with the bone and skin. A simple titanium exoskeleton could allow enough support to hold the limb to the body of the patient. In addition to weight, a limb must be able to decifer a signal from a nerve sent from the brain, and have fast enough reflexes to compleate any action, such as catch a ball. This is simple solved by hydrolicly powered arms, and flexable fingers that are bent using a cable and motor. Accoding to my estimates, this would probably allow for a faster movement, but the strength of the arm wouldn't be near what the arm is for the person who had the prothetic arm attached to himself is. It would, in my theory, allow for faster movement and allow you to lift about, say, 100lb, but after that, it would break. A simple way to fix this is to create a metal bone that fuses with the existing bone, fuse the nerves to wires that are hooked up to a processor that decifers the signals, and having about 1/16 of an inch thick titanium fuse with about 6"-1' of skin, allowing for a sutable attachment, but the effects of over exerting it are rather risky. If you lift too much, your arm, and however much skin you attached the arm to, along with the bone, are compleatly ripped out of their places, causeing the process to be compleatly repeated again.  

you_die!!!

you_die!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:39 pm
ChestyMorgan
blak flame
have you seen the matrix? or terminater? its probably because we know if we do we'll all die

Yes. (Amazing movies by the by.) But if this was to occure. Especially if we had a warning. Couldnt we try to make ourselves....robots also. In the process?

If we were to try to make ourselves robots, it would invole us "dumping" our entire memory onto a hardrive and puting that hardrive into a robotic android. Enevetably, if we did this, we would lose our human bodies in the process because our minds were put onto a piece of silicone. If we were to do this, it would be possible if the robot is designed for this kind of a surgery, but the process is irreversable! There would be no way to turn back into a human. At least accoding to my theory there wouldn't.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:15 pm
you_die!!!
Super_Chihuahua

In order for a prosthetic limb to function properly, it must be fused to all nerve cords, and be light enough to be fused with the bone and skin. A simple titanium exoskeleton could allow enough support to hold the limb to the body of the patient. In addition to weight, a limb must be able to decifer a signal from a nerve sent from the brain, and have fast enough reflexes to compleate any action, such as catch a ball. This is simple solved by hydrolicly powered arms, and flexable fingers that are bent using a cable and motor. Accoding to my estimates, this would probably allow for a faster movement, but the strength of the arm wouldn't be near what the arm is for the person who had the prothetic arm attached to himself is. It would, in my theory, allow for faster movement and allow you to lift about, say, 100lb, but after that, it would break. A simple way to fix this is to create a metal bone that fuses with the existing bone, fuse the nerves to wires that are hooked up to a processor that decifers the signals, and having about 1/16 of an inch thick titanium fuse with about 6"-1' of skin, allowing for a sutable attachment, but the effects of over exerting it are rather risky. If you lift too much, your arm, and however much skin you attached the arm to, along with the bone, are compleatly ripped out of their places, causeing the process to be compleatly repeated again.

Alrighty then.

Why don't YOU make the bloody robot if you know so much about it?

Yes, I see your logic, but the fact that they made a working prosthetic limb puts you too far ahead. You need to slow down and look at CURRENT scientific discoveries, and put your assumptions to use. I mean, I'm only thirteen. Tell all this to a scientist, for cryin' out loud!  

Super_Chihuahua
Crew

you_die!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:17 pm
Super_Chihuahua
you_die!!!
Super_Chihuahua

Alrighty then.

Why don't YOU make the bloody robot if you know so much about it?

Yes, I see your logic, but the fact that they made a working prosthetic limb puts you too far ahead. You need to slow down and look at CURRENT scientific discoveries, and put your assumptions to use. I mean, I'm only thirteen. Tell all this to a scientist, for cryin' out loud!

I'M ONLY 14!!! YOU THINK THAT A SCIENTIST WITH ABOUT 30 YEARS OF STUDYING IS GOING TO LISTEN TO MY THEORY THAT I CAME UP WITH IN A MATTER OF MINUTES WITH NO FORMAL EDUCATION ON THE MATTER!!

This is not a flame, repeat, this is not a flame.  
o.O A forum!! | !!murof A O.o

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff