Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
favorite quote Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nephthys Assyria

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:11 pm
(My first post. Yay!)
I've got a few.

~~~
"Yeah listen, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox, My father was Zaphod Beeblebrox the second, my grandfather was Zaphod Beeblebrox the third..."
"What?"
"There was an accident with a contraceptive and a time machine."
~~~
"The chances of getting picked up by another ship within those thirty seconds are 2 to the power of 276,709 to 1, against.

By a totally staggering coincidence, that is also the phone number of an Islington flat where Arthur once went to a very good party and met a very nice girl whom he totally failed to get off with- she went of with a gate-crasher.

Though the planet Earth, the Islington flat, and the telephone have all now been demolished, it is comforting to reflect that they are in some small way commemerated by the fact that 29 seconds later Ford and Arthur were rescued."
~~~
"...a major pair of shoes wasn't something you could replace by mucking about in multidimensional space-time."
~~~
"In a spirit of scientific inquiry he hurled himself out of the window again."
~~~
And my all time favorite, from the begining of mostly harmless.
~~~
"Anything that happens, happens.

Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, causes itself to happen again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

~~~
I've probably got more that I love to peices, but my fingers are begining to hate me. sweatdrop

EDIT: (As if it wasn't long enough already *goes into overkill*) I forgot to mention the beginings of The HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy and So Long and Thanks for All the Fish. I couldn't help having a complete fit when I realized the intro's were identical except for the bits where they say "This is not her story" and "This is her story." I can just imagine someone pointing to the books and saying 'no no, you want this book over here.' *snicker.*  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:13 pm
Spike_Theta
Anyone remember the thing from one of the Dirk Gently books where Dirk was telling someone (Kate or Richard?) about how he was hired for his services as a psychic to help some scientists with their Schroedinger's cat experiment, and the person he was talking to was trying to explain that first, Schroedinger's cat is a theoretical experiment, you don't actually do it, and two, psychicly determining whether the cat is dead or not still counts as observing it. Yeah.
Thank you for representing the other books. That is what Dirk said to Richard.  

Periathien

Noremak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:14 pm
"whats this fish doing in my ear?"  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:15 pm
Douglas Adams
Prak's eyes popped out of his head.
"No kidding?" He yelped. "You are Arthur Dent? The Arthur Dent?"
He staggered backward, clutching his stomach and convulsed with fresh paroxysms of laughter.
"Hey, just think of meeting you!" he gasped. "Boy," he shouted, "you are the most...wow, you just leave the frogs standing!"

I seriously just opened my Ultimate guide up and there the quote was just staring me in the face!  

Jupiter-X

Masterlike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:59 pm
I dunno, I really like the entire idea of the ship's computer commiting suicide because Marvin told it his ideas on the universe. I don't have a quote for you though. Sorry.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:59 am
Arthur - "So this is it... we're going to die..."

Ford - "Yeh... No! Whats this switch?!"

Arthur - "What? Where?!"

Ford - "No, I was only fooling. We're gonna die after all."  

Version 2.0

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:15 pm
Zaphod's whole exchange with the pink insect receptionist in The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe amuses me. "Count the heads." I wonder how that'll wind up in the movie, though..? Oh, and from Mostly Harmless, the line about NY in the summer, how the air smells like someone's been frying goats in it... xd And the bit about Random:
Arthur: Well, you have to get to know her.
Ford: What? She eases up, does she?
Arthur: No, but you get a better sense of when to duck.
Some naive part of me was a bit surprised by Ford's line on hearing that Arthur didn't really know when Random happened, about "now this is sounding more like familiar territory" or some such. 'Cos it made me wonder... might there actually be little Fords running around somewhere on some planet which is rather deficient in the birth-control area? The mind boggles...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:38 am
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."  

redskinnedeagle

4,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Akky the Terrible

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:34 pm
Saradiel
"But the plans were on display..."
"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
"That's the display department."
"With a flashlight."
"Ah, well, the lights had probably gone."
"So had the stairs."
"But look,you found the notice, didn't you?"
"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard.'"

That's one of my favorites! ::happy nod::

Another one:

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another which states that this has already happened."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:28 am
ford. your turning into a penguin, stop it.

and

Ford, theres an infinate number of monkys who want to show us the script for hamlet theve worked out!.  

fourtysecondscarf

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games