Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Simplified or Traditional? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which do you prefer?
Simplified Chinese
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
Traditional Chinese
52%
 52%  [ 25 ]
Both
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Neither
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 48

Nyanfood

Sparkly Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:28 pm
I can read and write simplified, the read a bit of traditional.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:05 pm
I can't read or write either types - so I'm a bit boned when it comes to chinese literature. Maybe I should have actually worked at chinese school instead of screwing around. Nah, screwin' around was much better! xp  

Tokioka

Yozoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:34 pm
I guess it's better to learn traditional, since it's what they use in the newspaper, magazines and the news and dialogs. I think I watch too many chinese soap operas.... xd

@ tamandrew: Also... I very much agree with what you said about the chinese culture seeming very complex. We don't want to give the impression that we have a simple culture! Even if the culture itself is slowly diminishing and people are starting to mispronounce everything.. *cough cough*  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:26 pm
Not all Chinese newspapers, magazines, and other media use traditional. For example, the PRC uses simplified characters in everything. There are many sites out there that use simplified. I'm just glad Hong Kong maintained the traditional writing. 3nodding  

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Yozoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:39 pm
wiim
Not all Chinese newspapers, magazines, and other media use traditional. For example, the PRC uses simplified characters in everything. There are many sites out there that use simplified. I'm just glad Hong Kong maintained the traditional writing. 3nodding
..... Maybe it's because all I read about and all I see on tv has something related to Hong Kong. .... tvb sweatdrop

Oh yea! I remember seeing an episode of something in Mandarin.. it Did use simplified.
I have a feeling that wiim is feeling that he is somewhat being followed.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:46 pm
Hara Tsubasa

No, not at all. Why would you think that? smile  

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100

Yozoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:48 pm
wiim
Hara Tsubasa

No, not at all. Why would you think that? smile
Oh.. nothing. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:00 pm
I can read and write in both simplified and traditional... though I'm pretty rusty in writing traditional characters.... do you know that some of the simplified version of the Chinese characters were originally from a type of caligraphy? That's right, they're from 草书,the characters like 龙 (dragon) were written that way long before the 1970's. Learned something there, didn't ya? xd  

Cat-Whiskers

Yozoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:04 pm
Cat-Whiskers
I can read and write in both simplified and traditional... though I'm pretty rusty in writing traditional characters.... do you know that some of the simplified version of the Chinese characters were originally from a type of caligraphy? That's right, they're from 草书,the characters like 龙 (dragon) were written that way long before the 1970's. Learned something there, didn't ya? xd
Indeed I've never known that. Some of the simplified characters are quite different from the traditional ones.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:12 am
Traditional pwns. <3
Okay, I like simplified, too.

I like traditional better because that's what I learnt. And I can only read simplified. >.o Can't type it out though.

I can write traditional, but I can never write simplified. They're...hard. :/ For me. I know. I'm weird. xp

Teh Vampy

wiim
Crew

Invisible Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:54 am
Teh Vampy
Traditional pwns. <3

I like traditional better because that's what I learnt. And I can only read simplified. >.o Can't type it out though.

I can write traditional, but I can never write simplified. They're...hard. :/ For me. I know. I'm weird. xp
Not weird. I don't know whether your case is the same as mine because I was taught and was surrounded by traditional styles all my life. I can't read or write simplified either; some of their characters look like they're from a foreign language to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:09 pm
wiim
Teh Vampy
Traditional pwns. <3

Not weird. I don't know whether your case is the same as mine because I was taught and was surrounded by traditional styles all my life. I can't read or write simplified either; some of their characters look like they're from a foreign language to me.
some of the simplified characters are hard to write, others are just hard to reconize, and the rest are alright. And for the typing... Isn't it just as easy as changing the output format?  

Yozoh

jennnnx3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:25 pm
i cant read any of them... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:33 pm
我还是觉得简体字容易一些...  

Niphredil Ithilmir

yalie5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:10 am
i tried to get my parents to teach me but they kept fighting over how to teach me so i'm thinking i should give up and become a bonafide twinkie.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff