Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tekkensennin
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:01 am
Hyung Horangi
@hiroshima jackson: eventhough vale tudo means "anything goes" doesn't necessarily mean that you can do awkward movements... the :anything goes" means that you can do which is practical though some moves may be branded as "dirty tactics"... what's more.. vale tudo is used mostly in mixed martial arts tournaments... try to look for marco ruas to have a better understanding of vale tudo. biggrin
Yeah, the "anything goes" is more like... "do what's necessary"  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:58 am
Wurd, I was just going off what was said in the interview. I can't think of the name right now, but it was someone responsible for the game.  

Hiroshima Jackson

Kazuya Oni Mishima

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:23 pm
I think I am overwhelmed with the amount of intellegence concerning Martail arts in this thread. You people truly know what you are talking about, at last my search is over xp I have taken many martial arts in my years, and my favorite would have to be my present one : Capoeira. Just cause it's so fun to jump around and "play" with a friend.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:42 pm
I tried practicing kung-fu but kept hurting myself. (Jumping off of things mostly) sweatdrop  

Half Man-half otaku

Goddess Kazama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:45 pm
MoonSoo
Real Styles of Martial Arts depicted in Tekken
Jeet Kune Do - Lee Chaolan

Jeet Kune Do isn't a martial arts style by itself, just a philosophy. Lee uses a personalized style of Jeet Kune Do with elements of a few different styles like Savate and Tae Kwon Do, so really this should go in styles with variations.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:31 am
MoonSoo
Indigo_Blue
this is from Wilipedia, right?
For the last time, no it's not.

Well, geez. My fault...  

BlueHeartShinigami

2,150 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Member 100
  • Consumer 100

Kazuya Oni Mishima

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:29 pm
Goddess Kazama
MoonSoo

Jeet Kune Do isn't a martial arts style by itself, just a philosophy. Lee uses a personalized style of Jeet Kune Do with elements of a few different styles like Savate and Tae Kwon Do, so really this should go in styles with variations.

Yes I must agree, JKD is just a philosophy that was personalized by Bruce Lee. However in this video game and many others, the JKD charatcer is always some chinese guy who looks like Lee, screams like Lee, and moves like Lee. Therefore we can notice the trend that the JKD of the video game world is a exact copy of how Bruce Lee went about using his own methods. What JKD really is, is up to you and how you come out in the end of your journy so you wish to embark on the quest that Bruce Lee set down so many years ago. As for video games, that random JKD guy will always be an exact copy of Bruce Lee, just so people can reconize it. If you had to lable it ANYTHING, JKD would be it. Thats just my view.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:46 am
i agree with kazuya oni.. jkd practitioners have been stereotyped as bruce lee imitators hehehe... it's true that jkd was supposed to be developed to your own style... meaning, you pick the moves which you feel comfortable with and at the same time, should be effective.. right? kudos to you for pointing this out. ninja  

Hyung Horangi

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Goddess Kazama
MoonSoo

I actually noticed that awhile back and I meant to change it, but I never had the chance. I will right now. Thanks for the reminder.

I mean, if Marduk gets put in variations, so should Lee and the Laws.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:44 am
MoonSoo, wouldn't Combat Sambo be more of a varied martial art instead? The fighting style started in the middle east and is basically comprised of almost 200 different styles.  

Stormshadow243

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:34 pm
Strider Karasu
MoonSoo, wouldn't Combat Sambo be more of a varied martial art instead? The fighting style started in the middle east and is basically comprised of almost 200 different styles.
In a way yes, but if I did that, then that would mean that I would have to put other styles such as Jin's Kyokushin Karate or Hwoarang's Olympic Tae Kwon Do style into varied as well, since those two styles are evolved from older martial arts as well (Kyokushin Karate evolved from Goju-Ryu Karate, which just like the other three traditional Karate styles, originated from Ancient Chinese Kung Fu which dates back up to 4,000 years ago I believe. I'm pretty sure Kyokushin also combines Chinese Kenpo and Judo.
Olympic Tae Kwon Do originated from Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do (which Baek practices) as well as the other eight schools of Korean martial arts soon after WWII which also combined various Chinese and Japanese martial arts before then. And before that, there was Taekyon, which developed from Subak (although this info may be debatable)).
So while you are correct that Sambo is a variated martial art, so are most of the other martial arts. When I meant actual styles not varied, I mean styles that don't have anything added to them or changed about them.

But since we're on the topic of discussion, does anyone know if Military Combat Sambo uses any actual strikes? I know next to nothing about Sambo unfortunately =(  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 am
Yeah, Leon and Bayman from DOA use Combat Sambo. It's usually comprised of strong fists to the gut, chest and face. Spinning back hands, and headbutts, as well as elbow strikes are all part of it, along with kicks to mostly the backs of the legs and inside of the knees.  

Stormshadow243

Blak Majic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:33 am
Hold Up Lee dont use JKD he uses the Mishima Style  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:48 am
Blak Majic
xd That cracked me up so bad!  

Tekkensennin
Crew

MoonSoo
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:46 pm
Blak Majic
... I'm going to assume that you were only joking when you said that and move on with my life.  
The Tekken Force

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff