Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Dumb Things You've Heard Said About LotR Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cattirun

8,100 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:31 pm
oh.. i have several... i was in the bus with some friends and one of them took out The Two Towers book.. and I said "wow, i didn't know you liked lotr..." and started talking about some parts of of the first book and she looked at me like wtf i don't get anything.. and i noticed it and said "haven't you read the fellowship of the ring?" and she just said "no because i saw the movie" *sigh*

then, as much as i love and respect tolkien's work my clown-fangirl alter ego just posses me and haha.. made some stupid stuff myself...
talking with my best friend
me: aww new zealand IS middle earth
friend: yes, it's so cool, but it's also new zealand and narnia and new york (movies movies.. we are movie freaks)
me: you know, we should move to new zealand and make a sort of hippy commune where we live in hobbit holes and praise the varda and have my future lotr wedding with who-knows-who.. hahaha.. you will be the best man and i will dress as eowyn
friend: yes, and i will be aragorn and gandalf will marry you and ....

hahaha.. that was stupid yet fun, planning a lotr wedding, and later we planned his star wars wedding.. rofl... that's what sometimes boredom forces you to do. razz redface biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:47 am
cattirun
oh.. i have several... i was in the bus with some friends and one of them took out The Two Towers book.. and I said "wow, i didn't know you liked lotr..." and started talking about some parts of of the first book and she looked at me like wtf i don't get anything.. and i noticed it and said "haven't you read the fellowship of the ring?" and she just said "no because i saw the movie" *sigh*

then, as much as i love and respect tolkien's work my clown-fangirl alter ego just posses me and haha.. made some stupid stuff myself...
friend: yes, it's so cool, but it's also new zealand and narnia and new york (movies movies.. we are movie freaks)
me: you know, we should move to new zealand and make a sort of hippy commune where we live in hobbit holes and praise the varda and have my future lotr wedding with who-knows-who.. hahaha.. you will be the best man and i will dress as eowyn

hahaha.. that was stupid yet fun, planning a lotr wedding, and later we planned his star wars wedding.. rofl... that's what sometimes boredom forces you to do. razz redface biggrin
I've dreamed of that, too xd I still plan to name my kids Morgoth, Sauron and Curunir.  

Eruresto

Tirno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:03 pm
Eruresto
cattirun

I've dreamed of that, too xd I still plan to name my kids Morgoth, Sauron and Curunir.

Well, let's hope no one recognizes the allusion in their names, or discovers the meanings of the first two ("Black Foe" and "the Abhorrent/Foul"); it might lead to some...trauma.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:26 pm
Eruresto
cattirun

Haha nice names for your kids. I think it'd be awesome to name my kid Elladan or Elrohir. It'd be even awesome-er if they were twins.  

Sirius the Moony Lover

Born On The FM Waves

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:16 am
People talking about what ifs.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:12 pm
PearlZenith
Oh, wow. Those already mentioned are just...priceless.

Okay, so I was standing ouside the library, waiting for a bus and trying to memorize the Sarati, when I heard two girls loudly talking. I only heard some of what they were saying, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about the LOTR movies. Then one of the girls says to her friend (about the book the Hobbit) "I know it's not supposed to be his [Tolkien's] best writing, but it just turned me off from it all, and I couldn't finish it."
stressed

Oh, another: I was in the school library, looking for some Chinese Philosophy, and then decided to take a look at literary criticism. I knew that with school, I would be unlikely to read any of the books all the way through, so I picked one up, and looked for the most interesting/ controversial title. And it just so happened to be about Tolkien and his mistreatment of women in his writing and real life, and how perhaps he and C.S. Lewis were gay. scream Idiots should not write criticisms. The author had obviously only skimmed LOTR, and not even read the Silmarillion where there are some more VERY powerful women. She just drew her conclusions from her biased veiw of the world and men, and contradicted the texts she used as evidence.
And, who cares if Tolkien was gay. I mean, what does it matter to his writing? Seriously.

If Tolkien's gay, then why was he married and had a son? (I don't know of how many kids he has, just the one.)  

Thak

Dapper Duck

SYFFER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:34 am
Thak
PearlZenith

Okay, so I was standing ouside the library, waiting for a bus and trying to memorize the Sarati, when I heard two girls loudly talking. I only heard some of what they were saying, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about the LOTR movies. Then one of the girls says to her friend (about the book the Hobbit) "I know it's not supposed to be his [Tolkien's] best writing, but it just turned me off from it all, and I couldn't finish it."
stressed

Oh, another: I was in the school library, looking for some Chinese Philosophy, and then decided to take a look at literary criticism. I knew that with school, I would be unlikely to read any of the books all the way through, so I picked one up, and looked for the most interesting/ controversial title. And it just so happened to be about Tolkien and his mistreatment of women in his writing and real life, and how perhaps he and C.S. Lewis were gay. scream Idiots should not write criticisms. The author had obviously only skimmed LOTR, and not even read the Silmarillion where there are some more VERY powerful women. She just drew her conclusions from her biased veiw of the world and men, and contradicted the texts she used as evidence.
And, who cares if Tolkien was gay. I mean, what does it matter to his writing? Seriously.

If Tolkien's gay, then why was he married and had a son? (I don't know of how many kids he has, just the one.)
PeralZenith wasn't saying Tolkien's gay.

Tokien had many children: Jonathan Francis, Michael Hilary Reul, Christopher Reul, and Priscilla.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:34 pm
SYFFER
Thak
PearlZenith

stressed

PeralZenith wasn't saying Tolkien's gay.

Tokien had many children: Jonathan Francis, Michael Hilary Reul, Christopher Reul, and Priscilla.

Oh, I was commenting on what she was saying about what some lady wrote calling him gay. Thanks for telling me how many kids he had and their names.^^  

Thak

Dapper Duck

Thak

Dapper Duck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:40 pm
"The Hobbit...isn't that the one where the old guy dies at the end?"

That's something that I myself said about The Hobbit. I hadn't read the book at the time and it had been a long time since I saw the movie, so I got it confused with The Dark Crystal somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:55 pm
Well, getting married to a woman when you're a man doesn't necessarily define your sexual orientation, but I'm pretty sure Tolkien was very much in love with his wife. To get their headstones engraved with the names of Beren and Luthien indicates that their relationship meant a lot to Tolkien.
What irritated me about the criticism of Tolkien's writing was not that the lady thought he was gay, but that she thought his "gay-ness" made his work abusive towards women.  

PearlZenith

WenBlack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:20 pm
A bunch of people that I have talked to think lotr is "boring", And that the black riders where taken from Harry Potter.
lol  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:05 pm
Yeah that makes sense... especially since LOTR came about 50 years BEFORE Harry Potter rolleyes . Ugh ppl is stupid! rofl  

churrlo

WenBlack

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:15 pm
No wonder so many people hate history (they get messed up w/ the time line). A few people think 'Lord Of The Rings' is too long to finish but then they read 'Harry Potter' and finish it in days (or hours)... tell me how that makes sense?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:34 pm
I personally like LOTR better because it's more complex and deeper. Not sayin I don't like Harry Potter, just saying I like LOTR better. 3nodding  

churrlo

WenBlack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:43 pm
I do too...... I have read HP, It's just not the same....... Plus elves are just awesome.  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff