Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 615 616 617 618 619 620 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vankala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:30 pm
He might be able to pull off Freddy, but to be honest, I haven't seen enough of his work to be able to judge. The only movie I've seen with him in it is Watchmen and he was actually my favorite character in that movie. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:54 pm
The Not So Evil Deadite
I would like to join this argument, but I wont...Too lazeh.

Anyways, the reason I came here was to announce who is going to play the new Freddy Kruger. Don't give me that Robert Englund is the only one bullshit, cause many people can make Freddy their own, just as he did. I mean, if he came second people would complain that the first person who played Freddy was the only one, so...Just enjoy the fact that there's going to be another movie. Anyways, ha ha, the new Freddy Kruger will be played by: Jackie Earle Haley, a.k.a. Rorschach, a.k.a. That foul mouthed biker kid from the Bad News Bears movies, a.k.a. RONNIE FROM LITTLE CHILDREN. If you're wondering why I capitalized that last part, it's because that's the role/movie that makes me happy that he is going to be the new Freddy. Here's to hoping that he can blow the s**t out of Robbie's Freddy! Cause damn am I'm tired of hearing that Robert is the only one...I want to be Freddy one day! gonk

Fine. if you're gonna be like that. Fine. Robert Englund isn't the only Freddy.... And Bruce Campbell isn't the only Ash. I wanna be Ash one day!  

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:36 am
Elliot Salem
Nintendo, is all honesty, and from a personal opinion, seems to focus more on Gameplay.

That's the most important element to a video game, wouldn't you say?

Elliot Salem
Before I continue, ******** you Stranger (j/k). Syphon Filter was actually a fun game with an alright storyline. Kinda disappointed they switched to PSP. Anyway, that's besides the point.

Hah. I liked the first Syphon Filter. But at the end of the day, it was just a good game. Not a great game, and nothing I would consider a killer app that I'd list alongside Sony's assets, that I'd just have to own a PSP for.

Elliot Salem
Sony, their games focus on Graphics and storyline. There's nothing I can really add.

By what standard? What games are these that you speak of? I want to see examples of all these great storyline/graphics-driven Sony games that Sony developed themselves. And I'm talking Sony here, not development teams/studios that Sony came along and acquired through their deep pockets. No subsidiaries.

Elliot Salem
Except, I don't rightly know who the true Mascot for Sony is. As they don't focus one one of few game series, unlike Nintendo, which has had the same 3 Mascots for years, Mario, Zelda and Metroid.
Anyway, before I go off on my ramblings, no matter what, they both beat the Xbox's mascot. ******** Master Chief. Worst. Mascot. EVER!

Sony has no mascot, because they don't make any damn games. And I agree wholeheartedly on Master Queef.
See, this is why I have more respect for Nintendo. Nintendo sells themselves with their own franchises and their own innovations. Sony has to rely solely on 3rd party developers to sell their hardware. With deep enough pockets, anybody can give you the same damn games that Sony does, as Microsoft is proving right now, resulting in many butt-hurt Sony fanboys. See, unless Nintendo goes 3rd party, you'll never have to worry about that kind of s**t with Mario, Zelda, etc.

Elliot Salem
Quite frankly, neither game system is better. The DS is good in it's way, as is the PSP. To put it simply, arguing about which one is better, is pretty stupid, to me, at least. As you two are focusing more on gameplay, and games, when you should be focusing on the technological aspects to truly determine, which one is better.

You have a point. In the end, it all comes down to taste. That also applies to the technological aspects. And graphics are secondary. I like good graphics too, but I can play an ugly game as long as it plays good. If the prettiest game ever produced plays like total s**t, all it is is a beautiful piece of s**t, and I'm not going to play it very long.

Biohazard EXTREME
Metroid's a fine game. But it's pretty much just another first person shooter now. The only thing Metroid has that other FPS games don't is the ability to curl into a ball and roll around.

It's still Metroid. They play pretty much exactly the same as the oldschool side-scroller Metroids, except they're 3D. Admittedly, I like the oldschool ones better.

Biohazard EXTREME
Don't lecture me on history. I took gaming history in school. I know it, I respect it. But I have my opinion, and frankly, I think there are better platformers out there than Mario games, on other consoles. Ratchet and Clank is my favorite platformer right now. It's got great mechanics, great graphics, hilarious dialogue and a continuity. Mario games lack the latter two.

I wasn't lecturing you. Well, again, that's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

Biohazard EXTREME
Fair game. But Syphon Filter is an awesome series. Have you played through it? Or have you even beaten a single SF game at all?

Yes, I beat the first one. It was a good game. I liked it a lot. The second one, not so much. And then I pretty much tuned out.

Biohazard EXTREME
I didn't buy MGS4 because of just the title. I was following the title sing MGS1, what I wanted out of MGS4 more than anything is the storyline. One of MGS's biggest features is it's deeply woven storyline. And that's what I wanted out of MGS4, because I already know the characters, what happened to them, and I wanted to know how it would all conclude.
You beat a Zelda game, or a Mario game, that's pretty much it. It's not like you're playing a Mario game, and it leaves you on a big cliffhanger, and you say, "Man, I can't wait for the next one."
Sure it's fun. But my point is, MGS4 I bought because it has a storyline I was following.
Look at Final Fantasy for example. Each one is separate. All of them are quality games. But frankly, I haven't liked a Final Fantasy game since IX. I wasn't that impressed with X, X-2, XI is an MMO, XII kinda sucked, etc. etc. But it doesn't matter because they're all set in practically different universes.
I might get FFXIII, I might not. But I'm not gonna buy it just because of the title.

Okay. Let's say Hideo Kojima was going to make another action game that was a spin-off of Metal Gear or something. You wouldn't be on board? Don't lie to yourself.

I tuned out on FF after FFX, the worst FF game ever. And of course, that's the one they make the sequel to. A bunch of J-Pop bullshit. Now it's all online. I may as well play Warcraft. ******** Final Fantasy now.

Biohazard EXTREME
I've played a few. And honestly, even games like New Super Mario Bros., yes it was fun for like, half an hour. After that, I was like, "Okay, I'm over it."
And if that's something you want our of your handheld game, that's fine.
I prefer something a bit more serious, and sure, DS has its share. But frankly, I'm not hearing too many good things about them. Like Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles, I heard was pretty crappy.
The only thing the DS has going for it is many good JRPGs, but then the PSP isn't lacking in those either. Then you add things like God of War, Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, Ratchet and Clank, Dracula X Chornicles, Dead Hear Fred... There's a LOT of great PSP games, that people overlook, and I don't understand why.

Okay. So you obviously haven't played hardly any DS games. Something more serious? That sounds like something a Sony executive would say. You're already casting it out as a kiddie system or something. Just JRPGs? Well, let's see. We got Contra 4, Castlevania, Resident Evil, Dementium (another good Survival Horror game for DS), Touch of the Dead, GTA: China Town, etc. I'm just listing the serious games here. I'll spare you the long list of other good-a** DS games that don't feature serious enough themes for you. I never said PSP didn't have good games. There's a reason I own one. But if I had to pick, I'd stick with DS, because it has a lot more to offer me. I wasn't a huge fan of Portable Ops, though. It was quite tedious at times. I actually liked the Ac!d games better. ^_^;

Biohazard EXTREME
Sure, gameplay is the most important part of a game. But if I could choose between two games one being a Mario game which has good gameplay and graphics, and another like Jak & Daxter, which ALSO has great graphics and gameplay, but also has a good storyline to boot. Why shouldn't I pick the one with the good storyline?

I don't know, why should you?
So just play Jak & Daxter. I'll play 'em both.

Biohazard EXTREME
You just proved my point right there!
With games like Alone in the Dark, it revolutionized... Practically CREATED the Survival Horror genre, but people remember RE, because it looked better, and was simply a better game.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. There's a very good reason that people remember RE and don't remember AitD. Unless you were a big PC gamer or owned a 3DO (which I did growing up) back in the early 90s, you never even played Alone in the Dark, so how could you remember it? The original AitD was very popular when it came out, and it was one of the first games to use 3D polygons, but 3D gaming wasn't so mainstream and household back in 1992. RE, however, hit with the Playstation. Need I say more? Resident Evil was the majority's first taste of "survival horror". Well, I played Alone in the Dark, and I remember it. It was a good game. I played all three.

So, seeing that AitD didn't even come out on the Playstation, and was one of the first games to use 3D graphics ever, I'd cut it a little slack on the graphics department. The original RE hasn't aged so well either, and ALL of RE's core elements (right down to the very control scheme, choice between a man or woman protagonist, mansion setting, loud thumps every time your character takes a step, zombies popping out of closets on unsuspecting players, puzzles featuring boxes, puzzles featuring cranks, 3D characters against static backgrounds, jarring camera angles to heighten tension, document collecting) were taken directly from Alone in the Dark. RE simply streamlined the template that AitD, a 1992 PC game, created.

The majority of people aren't aware of this, or they simply refuse to acknowledge it. RE usually gets all the credit. Unjustifiably. And I don't even want to hear that Sweet Home bullshit.

Sorry, I guess I lectured you here. sweatdrop

Biohazard EXTREME
So why is it, that Mario 64 gets so much praise for revolutionizing the 3D platformer, as opposed to games like Banjo Kazooie, which came later, but was better?

Because, again, Mario pioneered it. Banjo Kazooie simply followed suit. Are we supposed praise Banjo over Mario for simply following the trend, and throw Mario in the trash? Again, it came after. It should be a better game. It should build upon the foundation, just as the subsequent Mario games have. Now, in the case of AitD, its sequels were all lackluster compared to the original. That's because the creator left. RE didn't have this problem; it only got better.

Biohazard EXTREME
Frankly, if someone said, "What's the ONE platformer on the N64 that everyone MUST own?" I'd say Banjo Kazooie. With Conker's Bad Fur Day as the second. And if you're interested in sequels, I'd even say Banjo Tooie before I'd say Mario 64.

Well, that's all well and good. Personally, I'd pick Conker over Banjo, simply for the amazing multiplayer modes that game had. And they did not return in the shitty XBOX remake. Another testiment to the fact that graphics don't make the game.

The Not So Evil Deadite
I would like to join this argument, but I wont...Too lazeh.

Anyways, the reason I came here was to announce who is going to play the new Freddy Kruger. Don't give me that Robert Englund is the only one bullshit, cause many people can make Freddy their own, just as he did. I mean, if he came second people would complain that the first person who played Freddy was the only one, so...Just enjoy the fact that there's going to be another movie. Anyways, ha ha, the new Freddy Kruger will be played by: Jackie Earle Haley, a.k.a. Rorschach, a.k.a. That foul mouthed biker kid from the Bad News Bears movies, a.k.a. RONNIE FROM LITTLE CHILDREN. If you're wondering why I capitalized that last part, it's because that's the role/movie that makes me happy that he is going to be the new Freddy. Here's to hoping that he can blow the s**t out of Robbie's Freddy! Cause damn am I'm tired of hearing that Robert is the only one...I want to be Freddy one day! gonk

Robert Englund is the only one who can play Freddy. neutral

Vankala
He might be able to pull off Freddy, but to be honest, I haven't seen enough of his work to be able to judge. The only movie I've seen with him in it is Watchmen and he was actually my favorite character in that movie. biggrin

Read the book. Movie sucked compared to the comic. The comic is great, and the movie was just "meh" to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:59 am
I retract my statement about the graphics and storyline on the grounds of idiocy. But, the one game that I can remember, that had great graphics and storyline, was Legend of Dragoon.  

Elliot Salem

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:05 am
I saw the latest Nintendo Power issues today and it had a two page article about Darkside Chronicles. I got a better look at Claire's costume (I couldn't look at it too well in the video.). Her shorts are blue now and she's wearing cowgirl boots. I was a little put off by it at first, but it actually goes with the outfit. It's not too drastic of a change and it suits her.

But, one thing kind of upset me. Leon has a bonus new storyline where he's in South America before the events of RE2. Seriously, what the ********' hell Capcom? >_>

Back to good news, there was a nice article about Silent Hill for the Wii (it's on the cover as well). I didn't get to read it because my husband rushed me. mad

Harry has glasses now. eek  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:26 am
Lol, I was wondering what they were going to do to put Leon in a pre-RE scenario... He must really like those Hispanic countries... Wonder if they'll do something with the Spanish flu..

But I think Stranger wins for the LONGEST EFFING POST EVER. Thank got it's all broken up, my eyes would have melted from the wall of text.. ;-;  

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:10 pm
Yeah, I'm not gonna bother quoting all that. But Stranger, I disagree with you on Syphon filter. In fact, I liked 2 better than 1, and I liked 3 even better than 2. And s**t, the ones for the PSP blew the predecessors out of the water. The only thing that pissed me off about Logan's Shadow was the ending. But it's alright as long as there's a sequel.

Oh, and that thing about Hideo Kojima.. If he were to release another action game, spinoff MGS, or something else, I'd definitely take interest and look into it. But I wouldn't be a fanboy and blindly buy it without even knowing what it was like, what it was all about.... Heck, I might not even get the next MGS, depending on where they're gonna steer the storyline. I had my closure with MGS4, and if they're gonna bring back any of the currently existing characters, like, make it a sequel or something, I don't think I'll bother checking it out. Because that's just milking a cow that should have been made into steak.

But I digress. My point is, people buy Mario games and Zelda games without even thinking twice. I mean, look at all these Mario ports of the GameCube games that have adapted Wii controls, like Mario Tennis, and stuff. From what I heard, the new Mario Tennis kinda sucks compared to the Cube version, because they messed up on the controls, but people are still gonna buy it. And yes, those people are mostly little kids... But that's exactly the point. Why is Mario a best selling game? Because it's family friendly.
God of War being M rated is something that isolates many potential buyers, but is that a bad thing? Would I rather have a more popular, more widely distributed God of War, if it was watered down and kid friendly? Hell no.
Even games like Ratchet and Clank, most of them are rated T, and honestly, I work at a game retailer. You wouldn't believe how many parents are like, "It's rated T, it says cartoon violence, I don't want to buy it if there's violence." It's stupid, but it's true. And that's why many of these games don't get as wide of a popularity as they deserve. That and Mario has a good 15 to 20 years on them.

Oh, and or the record, if Metroid was simply a 3D version of what it used to be, it would be a THIRD person shooter, and you'd see Samus on screen, instead of being in her point of view. And if that WAS the case, I would probably like Metroid a whole lot more. That and if Samus actually had some dialogue. A silent hero first person shooter has been done to death, and aside from the roller ball, the only thing that sells Metroid (aside from the lack of good FPS games on the Nintendo platforms) is its name, its history and its legacy. And once again, we're not talking about following a series, we're talking about buying a game with "that cool character from Super Smash Bros" or better yet, "That hot chick from Super Smash Bros", because I'm pretty sure that most of Metroid's current fan base never did play the classics.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:53 pm
@ Angela: Are you ******** serious? That's just retarded.
@ Notte: If you take out all the quotes, it's really not that long... I'm pretty positive I've posted longer walls here in the past.
@ Bio: I won't quote, I'll just go through in points:

Nobody blindly buys a Mario or Zelda game, because they have a general idea about it's going to be like, what it's going to be about, and most importantly, that it's going to be good. Because Nintendo takes their dear sweet time with their s**t and puts out quality games. And you think millions of people didn't buy their PS3's with the understanding that they were going to be able to play their new Final Fantasy games, etc.? The games sell the console. People may 'blindly' buy these games, but do they ever walk out disappointed?

I'll agree on the whole ports business. They should be making new games, not rehashing old ones with new controls. Especially since the Wii is backwards compatible with the 'Cube anyway. Ah, here we go with the kiddie thing again. Now I know why Mario sucks. Because he's 'kiddie'. Mario isn't a best selling game franchise because it's a great franchise, it's because he's watered down for the children. Hey, Spyro is family-friendly too, why is that not a best-selling franchise? Mario's gameplay is more often than not deeper, funner, and more challenging than many of these so-called 'mature' games. I'm sorry, but I do not need blood, guts, guns and tits to enjoy a video game. And if the kids can get in on it too, why is that a bad thing? It's something for everyone.

Right, God of War isn't a popular, widely distributed game at all. M-rated games don't have a large demographic at all. You're totally right on the money.

And lets blame Nintendo for all the stupid parents of the world.

And the Metroid thing... so you're basically telling me that if the new ones adopted an RE4 third-person view mechanic as opposed to the first-person one it presently uses, it would be more Metroid-like? Well, no, not really. It would still play the exact same way as it does now, except now you could see Samus from the back. Big deal. And you're right, the Metorids don't sell because they're actually good games, they just sell on its over-inflated reputation. rolleyes Oh, and also due Smash Brothers' popularity, another shitty kiddie Nintendo game. Gotcha.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:26 pm
Well, let's see... I ended up buying a Wii because of Umbrella Chronicles. I walked out HELL of disappointed. Then after I realized there's absolutely nothing else on the Wii that I could possibly want, aside from maybe No More Heroes, which was still far away from release, I got rid of it. Sold it off so I could buy some games for a system I actually enjoy. But I don't know what percentage of people FORCE themselves to like the game they were looking forward to. Afterall ,I pretty much forced myself to like RE4 for the first year or so when it came out.

I'm not saying I need blood. But I do benefit from mature themes. I mean, Ratchet and Clank wouldn't be the same without the odd subtle sex joke, or mildly crude satire.
But it's not as if blood and violence are always pointless. I mean, in the case of God of War, we're dealing with a man who's been through some s**t, he's big, he's generally bitter, and he's often angry. And if he just went around beating people up, it wouldn't nearly capture his rage, as it would now, when he's literally tearing his enemies apart.

I'm not saying M Rated games don't have a large demographic. I'm just saying, there's a LOT of kids out there who only play what their parents allow them. And their parents don't even allow them to play games that are rated E10+, but they'll buy Mario in a heartbeat.

Where did I say that Super Smash Bros was a kiddie title? I only mentioned SSB in my Metroid argument. But I honestly don't know why SSB is so popular. As you well know, I don't see what the big deal is.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:35 pm
@Stranger: I know! Are they going to make it to where he was a ******** agent before that?! I'm not happy about it at all, it's only more fodder for Leon fanboys. scream  

MadamTarantula

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:47 pm
Wait, yeah. That makes zero sense. I mean in RE2 he was a rookie...

What is he gonna be a badass in South America, hit his head and forget all of it, and become a cop in Raccoon City? confused  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:53 pm
I bet it's a boulder that hits him. mrgreen  

MadamTarantula

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:58 pm
Then it would make sense. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:02 pm
Maybe he fought G-Virus vampires like in that cheesy old RE comic. xd  

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:47 am
G-Virus...vampires? User Image  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 615 616 617 618 619 620 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games