Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 620 621 622 623 624 625 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:04 pm

The Persona thing is kinda confusing... But alrighty. Atlus is good. 3nodding

Oh my, look at all these. Silent Hill, Jak and Daxter, Guilty Gear, and JRPGs to get into.

Monster Hunter. Monster Hunter! I was a slave to that game on the PS2. If there is multi-player on the PSP somehow I'm ******** sold.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:10 pm

There most likely will be. And probably online too.

Umm... But even before this, I think the PSP already had 2 Monster Hunter games back in 05 and 06.

Now, I'm not saying that all those games will turn out to be winners. But then if they were, I probably wouldn't be able to afford them all anyway.

Oh, and by the way, if you're into Guilty Gear, forget the one I just listed. There was another Guilty Gear for PSP, Guilty Gear Judgement, that came out a while back, that doubled as a Fighting game AND a Beat-Em-Up Streets of Rage style. And now it's available for download for like $5.99.

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:16 pm

Nice. Eh, weren't those like Japanese releases only? I remember being stoked for MH2 and that s**t never got a North America release. MH kinda died there for me.

Oh yeah. Just games you'll be keeping an eye on.
So was it a fighting game that had a beat-em up mode or what? Either way, I like Guilty Gear.

Rock Band on the PSP?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:22 pm

I dunno... I never really got too into Monster Hunter. But I remember that it was a #1 most viewed FAQ on Gamefaqs for a long, long time. So I think there was a NA release at some point.

Well, it was like, you star up the game, and it automatically makes you pick one of 2 modes, Guilty Gear Judgement, which is the beat em up, and Guilty Gear X2: The Midnight Carnival #Reload (what a mouthful), which is the fighting game.

Yeah, I don't know how that rockband is gonna work either. But it'll probably just be a rhythm based game where you push the buttons DDR style, only your input will be responsible for a specific instrument.

And who knows, maybe it'll also incorporate PSP's microphone capabilities.

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:25 pm

Well, didn't have a PSP back then so... Picking up on the newer release sounds good. Three of them on the PSP though? Like damn.

Ah.
And doesn't sound like Rock Band is gonna be my thing, but hey.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:25 pm

The 2 MH on the PSP were both released in NA. The actual names were Monster Hunter Freedom and well, MH Freedom 2; maybe there was a subtitle there, but I don't remember.

The first one was pretty entertaining, never got around to the second one though.

Elliot Salem

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Too bad most third party handheld games don't get distributed for very long. So you'll probably have a hard time finding older PSP games like Metal Gear Solid Portalbe Ops, and said Monster Hunter games.
I'm glad that many of the older games are being released as downloadables.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 pm

Freedom, those were the ones. Since I didn't have a PSP I guess I didn't follow the news.

Is Portable Ops that old already? Downloadable games sound pretty sweet then. Get a game for 6 bucks? Awesome.

Mr. Kennedy

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:40 pm

PO came out in December 2006. So it's been 2 years.
Although it's possible that EB games near me has a crappy selection, and that's why they don't have it.
Portable Ops DID reach Greatest Hits.
Hmm... You know, I wouldn't be too surprised if after a while, that one's gonna be available for download as well.

Most downloadable games go around $15 - $20. Guilty Gear was definitely a steal.

The most expensive downloadable is Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, which is $24.99. Although worth every penny, I think.
But most of them are around 15, and they do go down in price after a while.

EDIT:

So here's something interesting... Microsoft got the name for their console from Sony.
Look:

User Image
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:07 am

O_o

Whoosh, where to start?

@ Angela: Yeah, I pretty much agree with you. RE5 was closure. It wasn't the most satisfying closure I could have imagined, but it answered most of everything. And I actually thought some of the answers were decent, some not. Well, it's not perfect. But now it's just getting ridiculous with this s**t with Leon.

@ Bio: All I'm going to say to your wall (in the interest of time), is that I never claimed that Mario was any more or better of a game because it lacked violence. And what Deadite said about the whole research deal is totally true. You're going to research anything you're interested in or excited about. I think very few people just blindly buy games they have an interest in without looking into them first. Trailers/previews/screenshots usually give you a general idea of what the game is going to be like. And with these new systems, you can download demos of half of the s**t now. So that definitely helps. Now you really know what you're paying for.

@ Xeno: But... I'm right. Everyone should agree with me. Because I'm right. wink But seriously, offended you as a gamer? This isn't really... that serious. I often debate with Bio, and I often debate with Deadite.
I actually enjoy debating with them, or anyone for that matter, so...
And yeah, it was getting a little heated, but it's not like it was even close to turning into a flamewar or something. But I'm sorry it's annoying anyone else.

As far as the whole adaptation debate, I'm mostly siding with Deadite on this one. My feeling is, when they put out an adaptation of something... say, a sucky adaptation that isn't anything like its source material, it damages the integrity of its source material. Afterall, this is a byproduct of the source material. Anyone going into that movie with no prior knowledge of the source material is only going to have what the movie shows them to go on. And if the movie is a total horrid piece of s**t, the uninitiated are going to be walking out of the theater thinking that anyone who is a fan of that material in the first place is a friggin' moron. Furthermore, fans are going to be pissed because it contains nothing they loved about the source material, and it's not a good representation of what they're a fan of. It's like a blemish on its reputation. It hurts its integrity.

But I agree with Bio on a few points too. That being that there are some things that just can't be translated well to film. Watchmen was probably the most faithful movie adaptation of a book ever, but something was still lost in translation. Something like Dragon Ball... there's just no way in hell they could do a proper 2 hour adaptation of that s**t. At least I don't think so. And no Vageta? Blasphemy. And the long fights in DBZ always annoyed the hell out of me. It'd be, like, 5 straight episodes of two dudes charging up some friggin' super-duper move. Just floating there in the air screaming and straining like they're trying to pass a frikkin' kidney stone. And every new enemy was THE MOST POWERFUL MOFO, EVAR!

On that note, you have to watch this. It's pretty much a DBZ spoof and it's ******** hilarious.

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:51 am

And that's IF the movie was 2 hours. But like I said, the run time is 84 minutes. It's not that long of a movie. And like you said, fans are going to be pissed off if it contains nothing they loved about the source material. But that's where personal opinion is an issue.
Why do I like dragonball? I like it for its hyper unrealistic, fast paced, intense fights. I like it for the cast of weird and quirky characters, and although we're not getting people like Oolong and Launch in the movie, which I'd personally love to see... The only way they could screw it up for me is if the characters are OVERLY serious. Like Master Roshi... If he's not a pervert, I'll be disappointed. And if Goku is super bright and not dense glutton like his cartoon counterpart, then it won't feel like Goku. And yes, f that IS the case, that's something to be disappointed about.
But all in all, this is Dragonball. I want flashy and intense fight scenes. I wans Kamehameha. I want funny, quirky, and yes cheesy characters. I want the Eternal Dragon, whose voice has been cast as Chris Sabat, so that's a treat to the fans of the series in itself. And it confirms that he's in it. The mythology of dragonball, etc. etc.

And you know what? I WANT it to be simplified. Why? Because someone might see it, not like it and say, "Fans of this franchise are idiots."
But what about the other people? The people who never looked into Dragonball before, got dragged by their friends to see it and will say, "Hey, this is actually kinda cool. Maybe I'll give the show a chance afterall."
And although I think I'm gonna enjoy this movie, obviously it won't be as much as the show. Meaning people who are going into it fresh, if they like it, there's all the more chance they'll enjoy the show.

That's the thing about movie adaptations too, the fact that directors generally try to have a sufficient amount of source material, while making it understandable to general audience is a good idea I think. That's why movies like Advent Children and RE Degeneration can never run in North American theatres, because you need to be familiar with the source material. And as popular as FF7, RE or Dragonball are, there's a ton of people out there who never had the exposure, like I've never had the exposure to Tomb Raider before seeing the movie.
And it's very difficult to make something that would appeal to general public AND to the hardcore fanbase at the same time. The most successful examples I've seen are Tomb Raider and Silent Hill movies. And even then, Silent Hill fans nitpick on certain parts of the movie, even though overall it was one kick a** experience. And a visual kick in the nuts, in the best way possible.

My point is, to cater purely to the already existing fanbase is less profitable. And it really doesn't matter what you say, no matter how much a writer/director loves the franchise, once they pick up the project it's their job. And the purpose of a job is to make money. That's capitalism, guys. That's what you were fighting so hard for against us damn commies back in the 60s and 70s.
Movies like Degeneration and Advent Children might cater purely to the fanbase, but obviously movies like that never see the light of a big screen. At least not in North America, I'm not sure about how Japanese film industry works. But the Dragonball movie is not being made in Japan anyway. So yes, it is trying to do the very difficult job of appealing to both: The fans and the newcomers.

And you honestly can't do much in cases like that. The writers make a script, the director makes it happen. And after that, they just have to cross their fingers and hope that they'll push all the right buttons with the public. And oftentimes they don't, but does that mean they shouldn't try?
Like, Stranger, you obviously don't like RE movies. But forget about Anderson... Anyone could've picked up the RE franchise and made a movie out of it. What makes you think you would've liked it anymore than you do now? Maybe it would've. Maybe some guy would've come by, made the movie and it struck a chord with you and you were a fan of it... But for whatever reason, I ended up hating it.

When you make an adaptation of a much beloved franchise, more likely than not, there's gonna be a LOT of people who don't like it. No matter how it's made. That's just how it is.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:18 am

@Mr. Kennedy and Bio: I have Monster Hunter Freedom 2 for the PSP. Fun stuff. It reminds me of PSO a lot, and I love that game.

I have a hard time finding older PSP games as well. A couple weeks before I got my PSP, I noticed my local walmart was selling one copy of Parappa the Rapper for $10. Then, a few days before I got my PSP, it was gone. I've only seen it at a couple places since then used for $20. It's the PSP game that I want the most right now. I want to believe dammit! gonk

I love how many PSP games are very affordable, but it's just hard to find the good ones.

MadamTarantula

Alkaizer87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:24 am

Yah! I found somethign to put in the demotivational poster contest....though maybe it won't win. OH well I'll jsut have to find out.
Edit: I found this picture while looking about Alfred AShford so I can do a photoshop. Dang this artist makes Alexia look better than she really does in the game.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 am

Sorry, I may have been overly exerting. Let me calm down. Don't need a flame war. ha ha.

Biohazard EXTREME
I'm not saying RE5 is a bad game. I'm just saying that I hate it as a purist RE fan. I understand if you're a purist DB fan. But RE5 and DB are two completely different things. See, if we were talking about like... Dragonball GT, and you didn't like it because of how it reflects on the story that came before it, that'd be different, because it follows the same canon as DB and DBZ as we know them.
That's why I don't like RE5, UC, etc.
But the movie is obviously not trying to replace the show, or the manga. It's not trying to be a prequel to Dragonball Z the TV show. It's just a stand alone movie with the same concepts. The same way that RE movies are. And if I hated RE movies, I'd ignore them, and it wouldn't affect the games in the least.

I did. I did stop watching and reading up on RE5. I saw all of 3 trailers for it out of the.. What? 7 that came out? I don't know. And 2 of those trailers I watched just to prove this guy wrong, who basically said, "Watch these trailers and they'll completely turn around the way you think of RE5." Obviously they didn't. And no, I can't ignore stuff that people say in like... Emails to me, or whatever. I can't just anticipate when my friend messages me with, "Hey, wasn't it crazy when this and this happened!?" All I could say was, "Dude, I didn't bother with that game."

It's not THAT hard to ignore shiot like that. Just read up to the point when you know it pertains to RE5 and stop. That simple. And obviously you didn't allow yourself to stop, cause how else did you tell us about the whole Wesker's clone theory?

Sure, feel free to complain about what you know. But you don't know whether the 5 minute battle at the end was good or not. Maybe it's one of the most intense fights you've ever seen and those 5 minutes are so packed that it doesn't need more. You don't like the way Goku's actor looks, but maybe he did a great performance. You didn't see it.

If that were the case, then why didn't the review have anything good to say about the 5 minute end fight? Or Justin's performance for that matter?

Right... So you could be spending money on this, this, this, and that... So if you don't like it so much, DON'T BUY IT. Don't invest in it. SAVE some money. What's so bad about that? I know the Dragonball Z is a great show, and I wouldn't have bought the DVDs if it wasn't. You think Dragonball Evolution sucks, so don't invest in it. It's that simple.

But I WANT to spend money on a movie adaption. I want the movie to be good for me to want to buy it! Look at it this way, Bio. You say the movie adaption isn't important, but it is for the fact that there will only be ONE (At the time of it's release). There are tons of video game adaptions for me to choose from, but only ONE movie. So don't you sort of wish that that movie would be good, since it's the only one you can experience of DB?

You're still missing my point. I'm saying there can be a whole lot more things I could bring up to complain about RE5. I can go rent it right now, play it, and write down every single crappy thing that's wrong with it. But I'm not gonna. That's what I'm sparing people. But I'm not just gonna censor my outrage for what I already happen to know.

But Bio, I've already explained that nothing else could possibly piss me off about the movie since I have such low expectations. That being said, it basically means that I WONT bother you with other s**t that will irritate me, for it will be part of the whole experience. So you don't have to worry about me nitpicking. And you're missing my point. The fact of the matter is, I know you're aren't going to force yourself to play a game you don't want to, and only argue with points you do know. But, you argue those points over and over and over again, leaving no relief. After this (For DB), I won't want to be arguing over it, cause I will already have said what I wanted to. But you just keep bringing those points back up (For RE5). Do ya feel me now?

Besides... You haven't answered my question... Are you actually gonna go see Dragonball despite how much you already hate it?

Yes, like I said, I'm hoping to squeeze something good out of it. Can't a person go for that reason alone? Plus, I'm not going right away. Waiting 'til it hits the 3 dollar cheap seats.

Also, Bio, I know they do what they do to try to make money (All hail capitalist McDonalds!), but on that note, you should be PISSED at what they do with the movie because of that. To appeal to the mass unaware, they are going to change that which you hold near and dear on you. If that doesn't even make you slightly angry, then I don't know what will...

King of Paradise

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 am

Yes, Bio. That's pretty much exactly how I feel. If it can't be done right, don't do it at all.

And I liked Monster Rancher. That game was the s**t back in the day.
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 620 621 622 623 624 625 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games