Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 637 638 639 640 641 642 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 pm
Innovation can be overrated. RE4 pretty much killed Survival Horror as a genre. That's not a good thing.
FFVII, on the other hand, took the JRPG genre into then ext dimension. In fact... FFVII is to RPGs what Mario 64 is to platformers.

I play RE2 on the GameCube regularly. The FMV quality really isn't that bad. And the PS1 version didn't have the best quality FMVs either. I'm not saying that the GameCube version is the best port, but it's still better than the PS1 version. I didn't even notice Leon's knees... Flicker, as you say... For me, it plays just like the PS2 version except with better in-game resolution.
Maybe the DreamCast version is the best, but s**t, how many people you know that still own a Dreamcast? Cause I know zero.

And yes, the quality of the RE3 FMVs did suffer. The PS1 version had perfect picture, with no artifacts or anything. Like I said, it was simply half frame rate. (15fps I guess?)
While the GameCube version took it to full frame rate, the colors weren't as vivid and it had quite a bit of artifacts.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm
RE4 did not kill Survival Horror. It just killed RE.
Well, I guess I can't argue with you there. But it's the rabid fanboyism for it (something which ain't that great, and this case, doesn't have an original bone in its entire body, er, code) that has turned me off even more to it. I'm not going to say it wasn't a good game, but damn, it really isn't that great, and it doesn't deserve all the attention and recognition it gets. I'll take Chrono Trigger or Skies of Arcadia, or Phantasy Star 2.

It may be better than the PSX version, but not in all areas. Having played the Dreamcast port first, the Gamecube port really put me off with its overall laziness and sloppiness in quality... for a bigger price tag no less.

And I still own my Dreamcast. So does Angela. So there's two. And what does that matter anyway? Frankly, I don't know many people who still own a Gamecube.

I have no clue what artifacts are, but I have compared all the RE3 versions side by side, and I thought they looked best on Gamecube. The colors are a lot more vibrant on Dreamcast, but they don't run as smooth as Gamecube's, and the in-game graphics are better than the Dreamcast's. At least the cut sequences aren't all horribly discolored and pixelated, like the RE2 GC port.  

Thee Stranger

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:12 pm
I own a GC and Dreamcast... >_>;  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Me too.  

Thee Stranger

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 pm
Thee Stranger
RE4 did not kill Survival Horror. It just killed RE.
Well, I guess I can't argue with you there. But it's the rabid fanboyism for it (something which ain't that great, and this case, doesn't have an original bone in its entire body, er, code) that has turned me off even more to it. I'm not going to say it wasn't a good game, but damn, it really isn't that great, and it doesn't deserve the attention it gets. I'll take Chrono Trigger or Skies of Arcadia, or Phantasy Star 2.

It may be better than the PSX version, but not in all areas. Having played the Dreamcast port first, the Gamecube port really put me off with it's laziness and sloppiness in quality... for a bigger price tag.

And I still own my Dreamcast. So does Angela. So there's two. And what does that matter anyway? Frankly, I don't know many people who still own a Gamecube.

I have no clue what artifacts are. But I have compared all the ports side by side, and I thought they looked best on Gamecube. The colors are a lot more vibrant on Dreamcast, but they don't run as smooth, and the in-game graphics are better than the Dreamcast's.

No, it killed Survival Horror, because after it came out, every Survival Horror game said, "Let's be like RE4," and so you have Silent Hill Homecoming, Dead Space, Alone in the Dark, none of which are scary... And the rest so called horror games are mostly FPS now. The genre is dead. Hopefully this new Silent Hill will be able to revive it, but as of right now, the genre is dead.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I don't even think Square is the best RPG publisher out there. Especially lately, Atlus has given me more good RPGs than Square ever did. Shin Megami Tensei has become my favorite RPG subdivision, and that's saying something, considering it overlaps any nostalgia I have for Final Fantasy.
But the worst thing about FFVII by far is the fanbase. Which is no fault of its developers.

Yeah, well, I mean, I don't know any Dreamcast owners in person. So unless you wanna bring your Dreamcast over here and let me play RE2 on it...
And those people who don't still own a GameCube, most of them simply own a Wii, which is backwards compatible anyway. I'd get rid of my GameCube, but I got 2 big reasons to keep it around.

Artifacts... Hmm... I'm not sure if it's quite the right term. Anyway, what I'm talking about is the compression residue that's left when a video is compressed.
Here, I made a mockup. The top screenshot is from Wesker's Report, good quality stuff. The bottom is what it would look like if the video was compressed. The GameCube in general had horrible video compression. The fact that REmake FMVs looked as great as they did is nothing short of a miracle.

In any case, imagine the source material being the top image... And the bottom is the way it turns out on GameCube:
User Image

Now, on the PS1 the image was perfect like at the top, only twice as small, since most PS1 games ran at 320 x 240 resolution.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:38 am
@Thee Stranger: It's just a joke...Let Angela keep on toying you with it...Wouldn't that be hilarious if you didn't get it? Then you WOULD be like Kanye West ha ha.

*Dies a little when you say the first is the worst"

But opinions are opinions. I'll take scary Freddy, yes, SCARY FREDDY over cheesy Freddy any day. But that's just because I'm a horror fan. If I'm looking for comedy, then I'll watch IV, V, VI and FvJ (Cause I think he still acted scary in the first three...Maybe it was III when he switched over to the goofy side...). Goofy Freddy is awesome, but a return to scary Freddy wouldn't be bad. And the remake's premise at least boast's some originality.

Dude, I'm tired of remakes too, but I'm frightened at the fact of never being able to see Freddy anymore in new iterations. Freddy shouldn't die! Nor should Jason, or Mikey! That's what makes em great! They never die! They just keep coming back! But remake Evil Dead, and I will go bat s**t crazy on whoever decides to do that...

And I'm looking forward to seeing Jackie's take on Freddy.

I agree with Bio. FFVII isn't over rated. Annoying fan boys have just made it seem so.

FFXII is...Aieet. The story hasn't gripped me right away like VII and VIII did, but I believe I'm just about to get to the good part...And the new combat system leaves out some of the strategy that the turn based battles had, but at least it's more active, with you having to be on your toes to survive.

And I am very looking forward to FFX. Heard many good things.

Lastly, FFXIII looks sweet. I love futuristic settings, and the combat system seems to be a way more advanced and epic scheme than that of XII's.  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 pm
Yeah, but even scary Freddy had his punch lines. "I'm your boyfriend now," "No running in the halls," etc.
Freddy's always been about punchlines. And not only that, but Robert Englund, having come from a theater background, made Freddy very animated. Very physical. This is what Freddy is.
Jackie does look like he can make a scary freddy, but I highly doubt he'll be able to bring the same kind of energy that Englund brought. And without that energy, Freddy isn't Freddy. It's different for Jason, because Jason's always been pretty one dimensional. Freddy is a CHARACTER.

Well, strictly speaking, the fact that fans overglorify FFVII is the definition of overrated. That's the problem though. When something becomes that overrated, it's difficult to see it for what it is. And that's still a great RPG. It's like, because people overglorify it, those who don't automatically shut it down. They say, "It's overrated, so it sucks." It doesn't suck, it's just not AS awesome as the fanboys/fangirls say it is. And I'm talking about the same Fanboys/Fangirls that will accept anything, even accept Dirge of Cerberus and the fact that.... *gag* I'm sorry... That GACKT is in it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Yeah, but even scary Freddy had his punch lines. "I'm your boyfriend now," "No running in the halls," etc.
Freddy's always been about punchlines. And not only that, but Robert Englund, having come from a theater background, made Freddy very animated. Very physical. This is what Freddy is.
Jackie does look like he can make a scary freddy, but I highly doubt he'll be able to bring the same kind of energy that Englund brought. And without that energy, Freddy isn't Freddy. It's different for Jason, because Jason's always been pretty one dimensional. Freddy is a CHARACTER.

True, but when he delivered those, er, "punch" lines, they were a lot more demented in nature, instead of him saying something to evoke laughs, like "great graphics". We can't really judge yet how Jackie will work with the character of Freddy, but as an Oscar nominee, I think he can handle himself. I think he'll be able to bring the physicality and mentality to the character. Also, of course he won't be able to bring Englund's energy, his vibe, to the character, cause only Englund can do Englund Freddy. But given the benefit of the doubt, you might come to like Jackie's different take. The best thing about the situation is that I believe they have found probably one of the best possible replacements.

Well, strictly speaking, the fact that fans overglorify FFVII is the definition of overrated.

Yeah, true.

That's the problem though. When something becomes that overrated, it's difficult to see it for what it is. And that's still a great RPG. It's like, because people overglorify it, those who don't automatically shut it down. They say, "It's overrated, so it sucks." It doesn't suck, it's just not AS awesome as the fanboys/fangirls say it is. And I'm talking about the same Fanboys/Fangirls that will accept anything, even accept Dirge of Cerberus and the fact that.... *gag* I'm sorry... That GACKT is in it.

GACKT?

EDIT: Ee, gads!  

King of Paradise

Revy_TwoGun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:05 pm
How is everyone?
I've been studing up on Resident Evil 5 and it looks like its a great game.^^ heart  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:03 pm
The Not So Evil Deadite
Biohazard EXTREME

True, but when he delivered those, er, "punch" lines, they were a lot more demented in nature, instead of him saying something to evoke laughs, like "great graphics". We can't really judge yet how Jackie will work with the character of Freddy, but as an Oscar nominee, I think he can handle himself. I think he'll be able to bring the physicality and mentality to the character. Also, of course he won't be able to bring Englund's energy, his vibe, to the character, cause only Englund can do Englund Freddy. But given the benefit of the doubt, you might come to like Jackie's different take. The best thing about the situation is that I believe they have found probably one of the best possible replacements.

Well, strictly speaking, the fact that fans overglorify FFVII is the definition of overrated.

Yeah, true.

That's the problem though. When something becomes that overrated, it's difficult to see it for what it is. And that's still a great RPG. It's like, because people overglorify it, those who don't automatically shut it down. They say, "It's overrated, so it sucks." It doesn't suck, it's just not AS awesome as the fanboys/fangirls say it is. And I'm talking about the same Fanboys/Fangirls that will accept anything, even accept Dirge of Cerberus and the fact that.... *gag* I'm sorry... That GACKT is in it.

GACKT?

Well, there's two mistakes that he can make:
1. He can do a crappy job, and be a boring old evil slasher with no personality.
or
2. He can try to copy Englund exactly, which would be immitating, and he could never live up to something like that.

But the thing is... If they make Freddy exactly like Freddy in appearance, then it'll be bad either way. Because even if Jackie does something different, if he looks exactly the same people will expect Englund Freddy, which he won't be.
Do we know what this remake Freddy is gonna look like? Because I'm hoping the director will have the sense to make him different.
Like, different clothing and everything. Even the glove should be different. Still the 4 knives, but different aesthetic design.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:55 pm
@Thee Stranger: Fishsticks. Say it. Think about it.

@Bio: Take those goddamn pictures down. Leon is seriously scaring the s**t out of me with that face. He looks like a retarded Ken doll.

@Deadite: I wouldn't have cared if Gackt was just doing a voiceover, but the fact that they stuck his face on a major character that is considered canon?! Seriously, Nomura is gay for Gackt. Squall resembled Gackt (check out Gackt's Cyberland outfit from his Malice Mizer days if you don't believe me), Tidus did, and then there's Genesis who IS Gackt.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm
Ironic, isn't it? In RE2, Leon looked like a retarded Ken doll, and in RE4, he ACTS like a retarded Ken doll. And probably has the package of one, too.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:18 pm
In all the RE2 promo art, Leon looks fine, but in the FMVs he looked awful ******** everyone looked horrible. Why did they skimp on the quality?

He looks like a damn manequin in 4. Completely emotionless.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
The Not So Evil Deadite
Biohazard EXTREME

Yeah, true.

GACKT?

1. He can do a crappy job, and be a boring old evil slasher with no personality.

Bah, I highly doubt that.

or

2. He can try to copy Englund exactly, which would be immitating, and he could never live up to something like that.

Definitely not. So let's hope for an original performance.

But the thing is... If they make Freddy exactly like Freddy in appearance, then it'll be bad either way. Because even if Jackie does something different, if he looks exactly the same people will expect Englund Freddy, which he won't be.

Good point here. To play it safe or to take a bold, risky move? For some reason, I have a feeling the studio is going to play it safe...But, ya never know.

Do we know what this remake Freddy is gonna look like? Because I'm hoping the director will have the sense to make him different.
Like, different clothing and everything. Even the glove should be different. Still the 4 knives, but different aesthetic design.

You know, I'm going to have to agree with you. A new look for a new Freddy. But if they don't change the look, I hope people can see beyond physical appearances and give the actor behind the new Freddy a chance. A music video director is helming this movie, so I have high hopes. It was such a type of director that did the respectable Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th remakes.

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:42 pm
The Not So Evil Deadite
Biohazard EXTREME
[

Bah, I highly doubt that.

or

Definitely not. So let's hope for an original performance.

Good point here. To play it safe or to take a bold, risky move? For some reason, I have a feeling the studio is going to play it safe...But, ya never know.

You know, I'm going to have to agree with you. A new look for a new Freddy. But if they don't change the look, I hope people can see beyond physical appearances and give the actor behind the new Freddy a chance. A music video director is helming this movie, so I have high hopes. It was such a type of director that did the respectable Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th remakes.

Well, even if people can see past the same old look. I just think if you're gonna do a complete remake, don't copy everything the guy before you did. I mean, Wes Craven created the Freddy Look for some very specific reasons. If someone's gonna say, "I'm gonna redo what he did," then he should redo everything, including re-conceptualize Freddy himself.

AngelaAshford
In all the RE2 promo art, Leon looks fine, but in the FMVs he looked awful ******** everyone looked horrible. Why did they skimp on the quality?

He looks like a damn manequin in 4. Completely emotionless.

I dunno, Claire looked fine in the FMVs. But mostly I think they didn't look that good because back then that's as good as Capcom were capable of. I mean, with the low poly models, the in-game models, the eyes, the mouths, they were just drawn onto the texture. But with the FMVs, they had to model the mouths and the eyes, so that's probably as good as they could.

Leon's not emotionless, he just had a face lift, that's all. How else is a 29 year old guy supposed to look like he's 20?  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 637 638 639 640 641 642 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games