Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*Ria High School*~

Back to Guilds

Good ol' fashion Magical High school RPing. 

Tags: High School, Magic, Ria RP, Role Playing, Semi-lit 

Reply ~*Ria High School*~
[OOC] General Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6879 6880 6881 6882 6883 6884 ... 8166 8167 8168 8169 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How much is your love for Ria High?
  Forev-ev-ev-evr
  I like it so much I would put a ring on it.
  its the place I know where the grass is greener. warm, wet. and wild.
  I DO AWESOME RPS AND FOLLOW THE RUUURRUUSS.
  Wait, this is from Jan. 30th 2011. THAT MEANS KURAI IS ALIVE. THE KURAI IS ALIVE AND HE IS TRAPPED IN 2011! TO THE DELOREAN!
View Results

Jhaay-r

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:48 pm
Erm, and yes sweatdrop sorry about that incident Marcus... I was like drunk or something when I typed that.

And my signature is a secret, hehehe it's hillarious, buy you need to understand chineese to understand why it's hillariious

if u really wanna know what it is, use google and search for chineese translator, then translate this into english "白人看不懂" or "白人民不可能了解此"

i suggest using this site http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

please dont tell anyone what it means, and dont take offense to it xd  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:50 pm
Can you tell me what it says? Pwetty pwease! *clinghugglesnuggle*  

Banana-flavored Lollipop

Shinygami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:01 am
Guess who's back.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:02 am
Yush! Now go read meh post!  

Banana-flavored Lollipop

Shinygami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:03 am
O em Gee...  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:04 am
Is that not hilarious?

I'm shaking...

Banana-flavored Lollipop

Banana-flavored Lollipop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:08 am
-tries to patiently wait for Marcus to reply* Kota is alot like me. XD  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:08 am
Remember when we imitated the twins?  

Shinygami

Banana-flavored Lollipop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:12 am
-nod nod- Good times, good times... *continues to shake*  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:16 am
*Huggles her to keep her warm*  

Shinygami

Banana-flavored Lollipop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:18 am
*snugglecuddles* You're turning into my new Tigger-kun! I miss him so much, though... But anyways... I posted! Kota keeps ignoring Rai and calling him Miss. Man, she my favorite charrie yet!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:27 am
Notes:
Healing

Healing in an RP sense deserves some clarification. Obviously, it would be both unrealistic and unfair to say that anyone can stand back up from the brink of death in full fighting condition just because a priest tossed a few Heal spells his way. As such, it has become necessary to define what exactly a priest (or otherwise characters possessing the ability to cast healing spells) can do.

At its most basic level, restorative spells such as Heal possess the capability to close up minor wounds, such as a gash or stab in a non-critical region of the body, sealing up the cut and mending whatever torn ligaments are there back together. In general, such spells rapidly accelerate the natural healing process but do not, by themselves, cure the problem; for example, they can't regenerate missing limbs instantly, or (obviously) bring someone back from the dead (more details on -that- in the following section). As such, grievious wounds that would normally take some time to recuperate from similarly demand such an extension on the effects of healing spells. Although they may reduce the amount of time required from months to days, it is not an instant "add water" solution in the heat of battle. Additionally, there is only so much that healing spells can do; any given physical form can only accept so much positive energy before further amounts become redundant or ineffective. What such spells are effective at is speeding up natural processes in the body, as stated before, including traits such as adrenaline, mental capacity and awareness. This often has the effect of restoring vigor to an otherwise incapitated person, allowing them to continue fighting despite wounds that would greatly hinder them otherwise. (It should be of note that this course of action is never wise, and can quite possibly injure the person beyond recoverable means.) Again, though, such effects have their limits. There are instances of "miracles" where a priest has summoned the most inner reserves of his or her power to completely replenish a person to full capacity, but such instances are the rarest of events.

Magic
Magic is a loose catchall phrase referring to the supernatural powers that are utilized by many of the more mystical classes.

Magic is extraordinary in that it offers so much more versatality - and sometimes power - than other mundane methods at hand. However, it is not without its drawbacks, and there are three main things to keep into consideration when utilizing magic.

1. Concentration. Nearly all forms of spellcasting, especially that of arcane magic, requires an intense amount of willpower to achieve and concentration to see it through - concentration that can easily be disrupted by things as simple as a shove or push, let alone direct enemy attacks. No (normal) wizard can cast spells at the speed of light, and certainly not while being pinned and grappled by a warrior twice his size. Obviously, the greater power of the spell in question, the more concentration it demands and the less leeway it allows for distractions.
2. Constitution. Magic is extremely draining on the mind, just like melee combat can be training on a fighter's strength. Casting a spell may be akin to someone swinging a blade, but having barriers up while simultaneously using telekinesis to manipulate objects and casting offensive spells is like a knight trying to perform a swords dance using the Empire State building as a weapon. In general, a spellcaster's resources become that more strained while multitasking, and the degree of power on his or her various spell effects are taxed appropriately. Having defensive barriers up at all times may SOUND reasonable for a mage in theory, but that would in practice leave said mage with little ability to do anything else and with tremendous mental exhaustion by the end of the day.
3. Ability. This seems the most obvious of them all, but not every mage can channel enough spell energy to annihilate a building, or erect nigh-invincible barriers. If your spells are producing grander effects than mundane things in fantasy, you most likely warrant errata. Keep in mind that some classes are better at certain things than others - no one would argue a warrior being the better spellslinger
than the wizard, for example - and that you don't know every spell library in the world.

Mana

So what exactly powers magic?

All magic derives from an unseen source of energy, commonly called mana.

Magic, in its most basic definition, is nothing more than a conversion of energies. Many terms have been coined for the source it draws upon - as we have said, most modern scholars refer to it as mana, and older tomes have called it quintessence - but all roughly speak of the same thing. Mana is a natural energy - much like the light from the sun or electricity from a storm cloud - that exists within many things: living beings, not-so-living beings (ghosts and spirits, anyone?), and even inanimate objects like golems and artifacts.

In any case, to question why mana exists where it does - for instance, as stated before, in all living beings - is as futile as questioning why the sun gives off heat or why electricity emits from a lightning bolt.

The Types of Magic

Three "schools" of magic are well-known in the world: ki, arcane, and divine. Although there are other types of magic, ki, arcane and divine are the most comonly used.

Ki

Ki is the mystical power of enlightenment.

Ki is most commonly described as a form of energy of which monks, in particular, have studied and learned to control through long periods of training and meditation. Awareness and mastery over ki comes with a heightened sense and understanding of one's surroundings, the every flow of movement or breath of life that whispers in this world; and most importantly, an understanding of one's self, of one's own mind, body and soul.

The supernatural effects produced by ki are subtle, not at all flashy or glaringly noticeable - they generally take what is already there, and enhance it further. A monk's ability to concentrate force to the point where his fists are able to shatter rock, or his ability to recuperate at amazing rates, or the awe-inspiring acrobatics stereotyped to him... these are the results of ki at work. By understanding one's own form, how it works, and consequently the forms around him, the person is able to harness ki and let these elements flow together to a maximum effect, at his liking. As such, those who utilize the energy of ki are virtually never at risk from mistakes or misuse, as the very nature of it requires them to fully comprehend their actions and subsequent consequences: a limitation in the application of ki itself, as there is only so much one can do.

Arcane Magic

Arcane magic is the mystical power of imagination.

The sorcery that wizardly types practice, arcane magic is most likely the catch-all category that people refer to when they use the term "magic". The arcane is both a scholarly and an intuitive art, as while knowledge and theory assembled over time may lead to a greater understanding of something as a whole, it requires a spark of imagination - the innate talent to wield the arcane - to believe, to draw upon whatever power may be and will it to existence which defines arcane magic.

As such, arcane magic is often spectacular in its debacles, and appears to have no real limits as to what it can do - anything from fireworks to the creation of base objects to armageddon-esque battle spells all bear the trait of the arcane. The limiting factors are one's own ability to channel such power, and one's ability to apply it by willing it so: the trademark talent of a wizard. With this boundless possibility comes a price, though, as arcane magic is easily the most volatile of all known magic in general; backfires occur frequently with spellcasting, even amongst experienced archmages, when distractions or otherwise unfavorable circumstances enter the mix - an unfamiliarity with a certain spell or effect can spell disaster, and mastery over such errors take years of practice.

Arcane magic commonly utilizes elements that mimic phenomenoms in nature - fire and water, for example.

Divine Magic

Divine magic is the mystical power of faith.

Belief is a powerful thing. Those with enough strength of will to dedicate their entire lives advocating a particular deity, power, or cause are possessed of startling potential. Whether the process that occurs actually involves the intervention of higher powers is another question - one that can not be answered by mortal minds - but divine magic has proven to be real enough. With one's mind inclined so strongly, the ability to wield magic becomes possible, and such is the power of those in the subsequent vocations.

With common references to entities such as the heavens and mystical creatures such as angels or demons, divine magic proves adept at producing effects which reflect these facets of good and evil, light and darkness; healing spells, divine blessings, and even more sinister magicks such as necromancy and dark rituals are all in the realm of the divine. Consequently, they are less effective at producing the primal effects of arcane magic with less focus on the elements, although the secular cult of druids have been known to practice a form of divine magic in tandem with their beliefs in nature.

Divine magic often draws upon wellsprings of positive and/or negative energy, and is generally far more successful at doing so than any other type of magic.

Jhaay-r

~Your Dreams Afterglow~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:43 am
-streatch streatch-

Morning ^-^

-goes off to see what his siggy means and watch host club-

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 am
Jhaay-r
Erm, and yes sweatdrop sorry about that incident Marcus... I was like drunk or something when I typed that.

And my signature is a secret, hehehe it's hillarious, buy you need to understand chineese to understand why it's hillariious

if u really wanna know what it is, use google and search for chineese translator, then translate this into english "白人看不懂" or "白人民不可能了解此"

i suggest using this site http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

please dont tell anyone what it means, and dont take offense to it xd

I think that short WongFu Production film "Yellow Fever"  

LadyLight
Crew

Wendehbird

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:34 am
--Sigh sigh sigh-- I'm here.  
~*Ria High School*~

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 6879 6880 6881 6882 6883 6884 ... 8166 8167 8168 8169 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games