Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 695 696 697 698 699 700 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:48 pm

Yeah, it's really difficult to understand exactly why I didn't like Dead Space...
At first I thought it was because it's a silent hero game. But then, Ghostbusters is a silent hero game, and it's just awesome. Same with Persona.
So it's difficult.
The best I could come up with is that it's a horror game. And horror largely depends on human emotions. Like, for example, in Dead Space, the main character's wife was supposed to live in that space station... But like, if the guy doesn't speak at all, and projects no personality whatsoever... Why the hell should we care if his wife died or not? It's like, there's no connection to the main character at all.
Sometimes they make the hero silent so that it's like you can project your own personality into them, and that works on several titles. Zelda, Ghostbusters, Persona, etc. But something they did, it just prevents you from feeling any kind of connection with the main character, and I can't figure out why.
But whatever the reason, it makes you emotionally detached from the story. So all you have left is the level design... Which is nice... But the countless backtracking is tedious... And following the shuiny blue line on the floor is the cheapest way to get around. It's like, without it, it's disorienting, but WITH it, it's boring, cause you're being guided by a leash...
Then there's the gamelay. Although the mechanics are solid, it's repetitive. And the monsters, although they look awesome and disgusting, just aren't scary. You see or hear them coming from a mile away, and have an arsenal of weapons that rival Ratchet and Clank's. And it's only fun watching the realistic monster dismemberment for like, 5 minutes.
All that's left are the pretty graphics and nice sound design. And that's really not enough...
The worst part is, they created this huge backstory, the animated comic, the feature length animated movie... And then the game has like, no narrative. You're being told the story through diaries and video logs. And the only people who ever interact with you are always behind glass, so that's even more detachment.
Hmm, well, I guess that sums it up nicely. I guess I DO understand why I didn't like it. Honestly, biggest disappointment of 2008. And I was so looking forward to it.

Sidebar: Biggest disappointment of 2007: Umbrella Chronicles
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 am

Okay, well here's my two cents:

Yes, mystery is often a good thing in regards fictional characters, etc. And often when that mystery is revealed, it kills the mystique of that fictional thing, and simply cannot live up to your expectations and imagination.

BUT, in the case of Resident Evil, half the reason you went out and got a new RE game was to learn more about the mysteries surrounding Umbrella and the virus's and such, as well as to advance the plot. I knew that Umbrella was eventually going to fall; I just always expected that to happen in the last game and finale of the series. I wasn't counting on RE4, which made it so sudden and anti-climactic, and then just went off and did its own thing. I think we also all knew that Wesker was eventually going to die by Chris's hands, as they were established as arch enemies in Code Veronica. Good always overcomes Evil in movies and videogames.

In the case of RE5, it's basically the ending to the whole Umbrella story arc, so it's appropriate that most all is revealed. MGS4 did the same thing, because it was the conclusion. And we all knew Spencer was an old dude, so I don't see what's so terrible about his depection in RE5. Granted, I always expected him to be a bit more menacing, and maybe a crazy final boss, but still. As far as the whole Wesker thing, what kind of mystery was ever surrounding him? We knew a pretty good deal about him long before Umbrella Chronicles. And Wesker had "transformed" long before RE5. A lot of people thought that Wesker was the face of Resident Evil or something. Well... no. RE2 and RE3 got along just fine without him. And I know everybody says Wesker's whole diabolical plan in RE5 completely betrays his character, but I don't see how. In the original RE (not REmake), he's says something to Jill along the lines of, "Don't worry, all weak people exist to be eaten." - that jives with his motives and mindset in RE5 perfectly. Wesker has always been power-hungry, and has always had a huge ego. It's these flaws that came back and bit him in the a** in RE1 (*cough* *cough* oh wait, he 'planned' that) and again in RE5.

And aside from the whole Sergei and Lisa Trevor deals, we all knew Wesker injected the virus and got the hell out of the mansion. And we all already knew Wesker was working with Ada in RE2. Umbrella Chronicles doesn't even have Barry in the mansion scenario, so as far as I'm concerened, all that s**t in UC about RE1 isn't canon. Only thing that is, is the final chapter with Chris & Jill.

Anyway, the Wesker children were created by Spencer so he could create a new world of advanced beings using the progenitor virus as a means of natural selection. But he wanted this race to be made in own his image (like god). So certain infant children were selected from different parents of superior intellect, and they were all given the last name Wesker (the name of the head researcher of the project at the time). Then they were taken and shipped to different parts around the globe where they were raised in specific "gifted" conditions: were wealthly, went to the best schools, had Umbrella employees for parents who instilled Spencer's ideals into them, etc. No, they were not clones. Basically, their paths in life were engineered so that they would all share Spencer's ideals, become involved with Umbrella in some way or another, learn of Spencer's exsistence, and basically become captivated by him. Then they were each given a virus with a progenitor base that they either volunteered to take, were tricked into taking, were coaxed by a friend into taking, or were forced to take. Albert Wesker was given his virus by William Birkin, which he injected just before the Tyrant 'PWNED' him. Albert Wesker was the lone survivor of the children. And then he sought Spencer out, as he was pretty much programmed to. Then killed him, and took the operation over.

Thee Stranger

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:16 am

My liking of neo Resident Evil dropped considerably after playing RE5 a few months ago. As such, my entire view on the series has changed...Which is why I feel silly about the arguments I had in the past. Basically, RE4, even though I considered it a side story in the past, is no longer a Resident Evil game. I consider it just a really fun action game that spun off from the series, sort of like Frasier from Cheers. I have yet to beat RE5, for I could not grind through the multiplayer anymore. I agree with whoever holds the beliefs now: RE is best as a solo experience. And I wasn't big on the story either, which reminds me of one of my first debates with Thee Stranger. I wish RE did end with the storming and dismantlement of Umbrella H.Q. by the original heroes. Oh well...RE2 and 3 is still the s**t. But I like it more for the general story, rather then getting involved deeper into the backstory.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 am

You know, it's funny that you compared RE5 to MGS4, Stranger. Because after hearing about all these little plot devices in RE5, (i.e. Wesker Children and all that crap), it just seems to me like Capcom was trying way too hard to make RE have a storyline of the same quality as complexity as MGS. The problem is that their writers suck. And no matter how much they WISH they were MGS, RE will never have the same caliber of storytelling. And creating some bullshit story (which came outa nowhere mind you) about Wesker babies and Jill succumbing to mind control, doesn't make the story any better. In fact, those kinds of conventions should know their place, and in Resident Evil... I mean true Resident Evil, they don't work.

The Labyrinthian
My liking of neo Resident Evil dropped considerably after playing RE5 a few months ago. As such, my entire view on the series has changed...

See, that's exactly why I gave up on the series. Because after RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles, I looked back on RE1 through 3 and it was like... I didn't even see them in the same light anymore. Resident Evil used to mean something to me. And if I had kept going with the series, it would've meant something completely different, something not half as awesome as what it used to be.
That's why I chose to cut myself off from the crap that Capcom gave us since RE4, because it would've... It started changing what Resident Evil meant to me. And I couldn't allow that to happen, because if that did happen, I'd play RE1, and only think about how shitty the events that transpired in the future would be, and how little the characters would mean to me now.
Like I said, after watching some of the trailers for RE5, it almost made me want to give up RE entirely, all the games. So I had to isolate myself from all the crappy games. And I kinda got my love for the classic trilogy + Remake back.... But even then... Like, I tried playing RE0 yesterday, and I couldn't. I dunno why, but just playing it, the way the characters handled themselves (i.e. Marcus) just reminded me of the kind of crap that Capcom has turned RE into, and I was like, "This is stupid." And turned it off, and played some Remake, with a lot of satisfaction. So RE0 is out for me. That's how it seems. Because, again, even with RE0, I started viewing the overall series as somerhing completely different, and it meant so much less to me. So I honestly don't think I'll be playing RE0 again. We'll see about Code Veronica. I have a few priorities before trying to replay that... But I'm hoping that I won't feel the same way about it as I do about 0.

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:01 am

I never liked RE0's storyline, as you know. xd The game itself is good, though. I just thought the whole premise was dumb and contrived in the first place. It really makes no sense at all.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:43 am

You know, it COULD'VE been good... I remember looking at the old N64 footage of the unrealized RE0, and I saw no Marcus in the concept art. Saw no leeches in the screenshots... I bet you anything the whole Marcus premise was something they added to RE0 afterwards. Mikami said, "You know what would be scary? A white mage, singing opera in falsetto!" To think if they actually released RE0 on the N64... We could've had another classic on our hands... Too bad.
But okay, you say you hated the premise and all that... Are you telling me that inspite all that, you still play it, even though you hate the story?
Cause see, that's what I can't do. Solid graphics and gameplay don't mean much, if they don't come with a decent storyline.

I mean, look at Bayonetta.. You know, I was actually gonna give Mikami the benefit of the doubt with that one. The graphics look good, the gameplay looks fun... But then I watched that Story Trailer, and my god... It seems like one of the most generic storylines ever. Seems like something I've seen in Anime since the mid 90s. So, I very much doubt I'll be playing Bayonetta, even though the game itself might be pretty solid.

See, the thing is... A game doesn't have to have a good storyline. A game could have no storyline at all, I could still enjoy it. I mean, I'm not into Online games, but that's only because I don't like to rely on other people to enjoy a game. But imagine games like Battlefield 1943 or Metal Gear Online could be played with bots. I'd be cool with that. I'd enjoy it. Where there is no storyline, you create your own, in your mind.
But I just can't do that if there IS a storyline, and it sucks.

Biohazard EXTREME

Mr. Kennedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:51 pm

I know storyline is important to you but you're not gonna touch Bayonetta? I haven't seen the story trailer or even heard one hint of the story but the game looks awesome. I really couldn't expect a really fleshed storyline with a premise as ridiculous as that.

I understand maybe having different feelings for 0, but what's wrong with Code Veronica?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 pm

Yeah, well, even with a ridiculous premise... Nay, ESPECIALLY with a ridiculous premise, I expect the storyline to be entertaining. In one way or another. But it looks generic and boring. I'll give the demo a try, but from what I've seen in the few cuts of the storyline, it just seems boring.

Well, Code Veronica was the first RE game to introduce those overblown dramatic characters that seem like they belong in an RPG rather than Survival Horror. Namely Alfred and Steve. Oh god, how I hate steve. But we'll see. Maybe the quirkiness of Alfred has allowed me to retain my love for that game. But either way, Code Veronica started the long trend of overdramatics and fantasy-like conventions which made Mikami senile so early in life.

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:23 pm

I finally beat Yakuza 2 the other night. Now I'm continuing Persona 4.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:24 pm

Woot! Persona 4!

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 pm

The scene where Rise and Yukiko got drunk on the class trip was hilarious.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:36 pm

Yes, best scene ever! xd I had to play that one a few times over, just to see all the different possibilities, whether you choose which number does what. Of course, you'd appreciate that whole trip a bit more, if you played through Persona 3, what with Chihiro and that weird witchcraft teacher and all.

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

I knew who Chihiro was. xd I watched my husband play the game for a bit and I saw her, plus the uniform is a big giveaway.

I think my husband said he was going to try dating her. I have to say, I was very surprised when I first saw her. She does look like me, but there are differences...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:45 pm

Differences? You mean like, you're not afraid of boys?

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Some physical differences... Like my eyes are brown, not grey, my glasses are very similar to hers, but they're red, other stuff.
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 695 696 697 698 699 700 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games