Books you hated. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

When I read a book I hate...
  ...I don't finish it.
  ...I finish it.
  ...I finish it and rant for days about how much time I wasted on that POS.
View Results

quirk rays

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:45 am
City of Ember..
I'm supposed to read that book sometimes this year.
I'm getting a mixed reaction of it.
Some people thought it was completely stupid.
Others say it's their favorite book.
If you ask me, the movie looks entirely lame and quite cheesey.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:26 pm
Well if I bought it then I'll try to read it all the way through. (in regards to the poll) If I didn't then I take it back.

I HATED the scarlet letter - good story, terrible, dull writing.  

Lynnden_472

dragongirl187

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 pm
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I couldn't identify with the main character (which is a huge part of a story for me), didn't like the plot, and hated the overall tone and message.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 am
I actually didn't like "Twilight". I thought it was pretty boring.
Watch, I'm like public enemy number one now. xd
But it's true, there was no plot until the end of the book; I didn't even bother to go see the movie. rolleyes ...What?
Then I learned later on that I could actually keep up with the story just by reading what's in the quotation marks eek That could have saved me some time...

lakita_phoenix

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:31 am
The Younger Gods, by Eddings - No, I did not read the ones in the series prior to this one, but that shouldn't be a requisite. This book is probably the one I hate the most.
Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling - I read them when they came out originally and have read all seven, but have not liked a single one.
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I'm usually a fan of satire, but this one just didn't work. I disliked especially the lack of plot and the ending.
Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley - I'm a fan of Huxley, but this was honestly 300 pages of the same thing... once i've laughed the first few times at the same joke in the book, I don't feel inclined to laugh the next few.
Anthem by Ayn Rand - Again, the same joke for an entire book. The rest wasn't bad, although the plot was kinda straightforward.
To Kill A Mockingbird - I must have missed something in english class, because this book is utterly pointless - I have no relation to a single character, and what they do doesn't interest me in the slightest. Was this a bildungs roman? If so, there's plenty of those with identifiable characters.
Twilight - I refuse to read this book after seeing it acted out in theater. Not because the acting was bad (she really wasn't prepared), but because the dialog and action/realism (lack of) sucked.
Moby d**k by Herman Melville - I liked this book, but for class we were required to read only plot-related chapters. I read some of the interpolary chapters, which were mostly good (I think the classification of whales into three groups belongs in an appendix or collection of essays), but i could not read everything and do well on the tests. The plot related chapters were good too, but without the interpolary ones, it was an entirely different book.
Dubliners and Ulysses by James Joyce - I'm really not old enough to fully benefit from these. I must say, they're very hard to get into. I'll try these again in five or ten years, and see if they become legible.
Love by Toni Morrison - This book was so boring and pointless, I did not finish it, which is something I rarely do with books I dislike. The imagery is terrible, descriptions (of people) are very pedestrian, and the continual switching of narrator is annoying.
Ringworld by Larry Niven - This really wasn't a bad book, but it left me wanting something more. No, I have not yet read the others in this series.
Catch-22 - Most of the humor wasn't the kind of humor you can read twice and laugh just as hard the second time. It's no longer novel at that point. It wasn't a bad book, but it really wasn't my style.
Diary Of Anne Frank - Yeah, it's from an emotional time in history. But I feel that the story is just like anyone else going through something hard, except that we can't criticize it because people who EVERYONE hates are involved. No, I did not like this diary.
"Romeo And Juliet" - (I'm not sure what to do for plays, and am too lazy to look it up) This was okay, but it lacked a point. If it was the original forbidden 'love' story, great, but it is still pointless. Hamlet was better, and I have not yet read A Midsummer Night's Dream, possibly because that's the one the regular english class read, so it must be inferior to Romeo And Juliet.
The Bear by William Faulkner - I'm not at all intrigued by this story. I will agree that it is great to analyze, but the story is kinda silly and boring.
James Bond movies - I know it's not exactly related, but i feel I must say: STOP! Stop before you call Ian Fleming back to this world to destroy you!

Anything from the "young adult", "mystery", or "romance" section of a store or library I generally dislike.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:09 pm
Priestess of Neptune
The Younger Gods, by Eddings - No, I did not read the ones in the series prior to this one, but that shouldn't be a requisite. This book is probably the one I hate the most.
Harry Potter, by J.K. Rowling - I read them when they came out originally and have read all seven, but have not liked a single one.
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - I'm usually a fan of satire, but this one just didn't work. I disliked especially the lack of plot and the ending.
Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley - I'm a fan of Huxley, but this was honestly 300 pages of the same thing... once i've laughed the first few times at the same joke in the book, I don't feel inclined to laugh the next few.
Anthem by Ayn Rand - Again, the same joke for an entire book. The rest wasn't bad, although the plot was kinda straightforward.
To Kill A Mockingbird - I must have missed something in english class, because this book is utterly pointless - I have no relation to a single character, and what they do doesn't interest me in the slightest. Was this a bildungs roman? If so, there's plenty of those with identifiable characters.
Twilight - I refuse to read this book after seeing it acted out in theater. Not because the acting was bad (she really wasn't prepared), but because the dialog and action/realism (lack of) sucked.
Moby d**k by Herman Melville - I liked this book, but for class we were required to read only plot-related chapters. I read some of the interpolary chapters, which were mostly good (I think the classification of whales into three groups belongs in an appendix or collection of essays), but i could not read everything and do well on the tests. The plot related chapters were good too, but without the interpolary ones, it was an entirely different book.
Dubliners and Ulysses by James Joyce - I'm really not old enough to fully benefit from these. I must say, they're very hard to get into. I'll try these again in five or ten years, and see if they become legible.
Love by Toni Morrison - This book was so boring and pointless, I did not finish it, which is something I rarely do with books I dislike. The imagery is terrible, descriptions (of people) are very pedestrian, and the continual switching of narrator is annoying.
Ringworld by Larry Niven - This really wasn't a bad book, but it left me wanting something more. No, I have not yet read the others in this series.
Catch-22 - Most of the humor wasn't the kind of humor you can read twice and laugh just as hard the second time. It's no longer novel at that point. It wasn't a bad book, but it really wasn't my style.
Diary Of Anne Frank - Yeah, it's from an emotional time in history. But I feel that the story is just like anyone else going through something hard, except that we can't criticize it because people who EVERYONE hates are involved. No, I did not like this diary.
"Romeo And Juliet" - (I'm not sure what to do for plays, and am too lazy to look it up) This was okay, but it lacked a point. If it was the original forbidden 'love' story, great, but it is still pointless. Hamlet was better, and I have not yet read A Midsummer Night's Dream, possibly because that's the one the regular english class read, so it must be inferior to Romeo And Juliet.
The Bear by William Faulkner - I'm not at all intrigued by this story. I will agree that it is great to analyze, but the story is kinda silly and boring.
James Bond movies - I know it's not exactly related, but i feel I must say: STOP! Stop before you call Ian Fleming back to this world to destroy you!

Anything from the "young adult", "mystery", or "romance" section of a store or library I generally dislike.

Jeez, you have a lot of dislikes! I can't really comment on some of it because I'll go into crazy rants, but at least you have valid reasons for not liking them. And just so you know, I know plenty of people who have read Romeo and Juliet as well as A Midsummer Night's Dream, and they enjoyed the latter much more. It's an extremely different play and I do not think that you should assume it is "inferior" because the regular English class read it.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:56 pm
Well, i've read plenty of books, allowing for more to be disliked I guess. I'm sure I can make a long list of books I do like if you want. I'll check out A Midsummer Night's Dream next time i'm at the library... after I finish the three piles of books next to my bed XD. That'll be sometime this summer, I think. Feel free to PM me any awesome rants- i'm a fan of my own rants, so I imagine yours are fun too.

E.E. Cummings - I'm not a fan of cubism, so his writing style doesn't really hold much interest for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:30 pm
Priestess of Neptune
I cannot agree more with you. I won't even touch those books because they are so predictable.

The one book that I truely hates was Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman. There wasn't enough details to sustain the plot and the characters were a little too neurotic for me.

unknown_zoso05

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:15 pm
That is why they sell so well DX *shivers*.

Have you read any Bohemian literature that you didn't like? I have read Poe, and plan to read Marx, Voltaire, and Les Mis in the near future. No, I have no idea what Bohemianism is; but I might look into it if I get rave reviews about every single work (the ones you have read) in that "ism".  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:00 pm
Priestess of Neptune
Have you read any Bohemian literature that you didn't like? I have read Poe, and plan to read Marx, Voltaire, and Les Mis in the near future. No, I have no idea what Bohemianism is; but I might look into it if I get rave reviews about every single work (the ones you have read) in that "ism".

Actually no; I love all of the bohemian writers!! If you want to know more about bohemianism, go here!  

unknown_zoso05

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm
I already looked at your website; I was wondering if you had any other sources- "I believe EVERYTHING on wikipedia; wiki would never lie to me!"- lol, but seriously, I only saw suggested reading on your site (granted, I did not read every post).

NOTE: Sorry if I'm a little off thread topic here, but I'd like to know if I would dislike books of that movement. I'm a fan of philosophy, old horror, most stuff from 1800-1940, literature, epics, mythology, fantasy, and to a lesser degree sci-fi. I currently enjoy reading from the "Romantic" movement- would Bohemianism contradict its ideals?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm
Yeah, you guys are getting pretty off-topic. I'd prefer if you'd continue your conversation via PM.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Celestial Bard

4,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 pm
My worst reads.

Twilight (Who cares?)
The Pearl (Steinbeck)
Twilight (Who cares?)
Julius Caesar (Shakespeare)
Twilight (Who cares?)
and Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:12 pm
Jugglernaut
My worst reads.

Twilight (Who cares?)
The Pearl (Steinbeck)
Twilight (Who cares?)
Julius Caesar (Shakespeare)
Twilight (Who cares?)
and Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare)

Okay Jugglernaut, we all know you don't like Twilight. You don't have to tell us three times in one post.  

penandpaper67
Captain

Rogue_Silence13

5,050 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:47 am
Magyk, its by Angie Sage, I just didn't like it very much.
Inkspell, It just wasn't as good as Inkheart in my opinion.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head.  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff