Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
The Silmarillion: A Group Reading [update 4.12.05] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Falathrim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:40 pm
OF THE SILMARILS AND THE UNREST OF THE NOLDOR

OF THE SILMARILS
And Varda hallowed the Silmarils, so that thereafter no mortal flesh, nor hands uncleaned, nor anything of evil might touch them, but it was scorched and withered...

. . .

Oh.

OH.

Dammit, Varda, you are so lucky I didn't remember that during the Favorite Valar Battle. -10000 Respect Points for you. And for the record, Ulmo, who is leading with -3 Respect Points, is now my favorite Vala. Erudammit. Oh well.

Wow, even the Vanyar knew not to trust Melkor. This was in the last chapter, I think, but I'm just thinking to comment on it now. It truly is a pity 'Light-elves' were to scared of being labeled as rebels to actually say anything. Idiots. Yeah, I don't much like the Vanyar, either.

Feanor is an a**. Fingolfin is great. I love Fingolfin. But his brother is an a**. A huge a**. Even if he does have an awesome quote.

Can't Resist The Sexiness of This Quote, Can I?
Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!

On a side note, I still don't know how to pronounce Noldor. I know that the N is like the N in king, but I can't quite figure out how to get those sounds to mesh together. Hey, I never claimed I was a linguist.

Idiot Valar.

Expect another post later. This one sucks, I know, but I'm depressed now that I realize Varda sucks just as much as her idiot husband.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:43 pm
I call my cat Fingolfin. I made it his full name.
Feanor is so.....I don't know, so "believehimslefastehawesomeandknowerofeverything-ish"

Does that make sense?  

Imyavie

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:49 pm
I said this to Falathrim over msn:

ALison says:
awww
ALison says:
but Ulmo is pretty cool
ALison says:
still not so cool as creepy Mandos though

There, commented! xp

But on to other things... I heart Fingolfin. Other than Glorfindel he's my most favouritest! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:13 pm
OF THE DARKENING OF VALINOR

*still mumbling about Varda*

b***h...

Okay, to be honest, the published version of this chapter blows. Chris took everything about this chapter whcih was AWESOME (like Morgy quotes), tore them out, and threw up what we have before us. I read maybe a paragraph just now, said "screw it", and grabbed Morgy's Ring.

MORGY!
'Come forth!' he said. 'Thrice fool: to leave me first, to dwell here languishing within reach of feasts untold, and now to shun me, Giver of Gifts, thy only hope! Come forth and see! I have brought thee an earnest of greater bounty to follow.' But Ungoliante made no answer, and retreated deeper into the cloven rock. Then Melkor was angered, for he was in haste, having reckoned his times to a nicety. 'Come out!' he cried. 'I have need of thee and will not be denied. Either thou wilt serve me, or I will bury you here and under black stone thou shalt wither into naught.' Then suddenly he held up in his hands two shining gems. They were green, and in that lightless place they reflected the dreadful light of his eyes, as if some ravenous beast had come hunting there. Thus the great Thief set his lure for the lesser.

In Morgy's Ring, Melkor wasn't with Ungoliant when she PWNED the trees. He was running off to Formenos in an attempt to snatch the Silmarils without Ungoliant knowing. Didn't work, though.

And now, a skit:

Aldudenie ~ The Lament for the Two Trees

MANWE: My, this certainly is a joyous festival.
VARDA: Indeed. I'm a b***h.
ULMO: Yep.
INGWE: Hey, look, a huge shadow that no eyes can pierce. Why, that sure is odd.
FINGOLFIN: Yeah, that is strange.
FEANOR: I'm going to say something witty and assy at the same time.
VARDA: Assy? For a great linguist, you sure are illiterate.
FEANOR: b***h.
MANDOS: Shut up.
TURGON: Ummm... what about that Shadow?
MANDOS: It's Doom Incarnate.
MANWE: Namo, you aren't supposed to talk without me telling you to.
MANDOS: But...
MANWE: Namo, I'm saddened. You should know better!
MANDOS: . . .
MANWE: Finally...
LORIEN: Well, let the festival commence!
GALADRIEL: Wait, what about the Shadow?
AULE: What Shadow?
GALADRIEL: The one that Namo said was Doom Incarnate.
AULE: I dunno what you're talking about.
FINARFIN: It's right there!
FINGOLFIN: It's on the Ezellohar!
YAVANNA: Hey, I know where that is!
VARDA: I should hope so.
TULKAS: It's probably just a rain cloud.
TURGON: Rain clouds don't resemble Doom Incarnate, though.
MANWE: Everyone shut up! This is a joyous occasion!
INGWE: Well, there went Laurelin.
THRONDOR: You know, maybe someone should do something.
ULMO: Like what?
VARDA: I dunno.
MANWE: Let's just calm down and have some fun...
FINROD: Okay, there went Telperion.
EVERYONE: . . .
VAIRE: It's so dark! Just like home!
FEANOR: You guys are so stupid.
VARDA: Yeah, well, you're an a**.
FEANOR: Maybe so, but at least I'm not an idiot.
OROME: So. No light anymore.
TULKAS: Should we do something about this?
VARDA: No, no. We have to ask Manwe before we do anything, remember?
ULMO: Yeah. If we don't have permission, we're rebelling!
FEANOR: Ugh.  

Falathrim

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:20 pm
That's hilarious!

I was thinking something along the lines of that anywayz, why would no one notice such a thing going on. Your little thingy just made it better and funnier and stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:09 pm
Falathrim

MANWE: Everyone shut up! This is a joyous occasion!

xd xd xd xd xd

You should have had Mandos saying something obvious and/or really deep and confusing at the end after everything already happened.  

Edhellos

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:38 pm
Way to catch the bit about "no mortal flesh", Fal. I totally missed it. Interesting.

'Noldor' isn't pronounced how you'd expect it to be pronounced?

And I love the skit. xd heart

Quote:
Read the Athrabeth!

Done one read-through. Need to do a second. It's rather a lot to take in all at once. It's really great though.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:20 pm
Of the Flight of the Noldor
I'm commenting as I'm reading, so here are a lot of quotations and my comments on them as I go along written underneath.

Quote:
But the stars of Varda now glimmered overhead, and the air was clear; for the winds of Manwe had driven away the vapours of death and rolled back the shadows of the sea

See? The Valar are good for something. 3nodding

After Feanor says he doesn't wanna give up the Shinies
Then Mandos said: 'Thou hast spoken.'

First thing I think of:

"A Diversion!"

Brilliant.

Yeah, so it's not really the same, since this one has some Doom associated with it, but still.

I like the stuff in Morgoth's Ring better for this chapter. The Valar have "defiled thrones" (I can't help but imagine Morgoth, er, 'defiling' them on his way through XD) and Morgoth's assault on Formenos is actually described. Darkness and blood! Woah. Guess I can type out what I'm talking about:

Maedhros tells Manwe what they found
'Darkness and blood! When we could move again we came to the house. There we found the king slain at the door. His head was crushed as with a great mace of iron. We found no others: all had fled, and he had stood alone, defiant. That is plain; for his sword lay beside him, twisted and untempered as if by lightning-stroke. All the house was broken and ravanged. Naught is left. The treasuries are empty. The chamber of iron is torn apart. The Silmarils are taken!'

The part with Morgoth and Ungoliant and Lammoth is dead cool. Love that. Not much else to say about it, though, so I'll move on.

Feanor speaking to the Noldor
His wrath and his hate were given most to Morgoth, and yet well nigh all that he said came from the very lies of Morgoth himself; but he was distraught with grief for the slaying of his father, and with anguish for the rape of the Silmarils.

Is that an excuse I hear? Seems to me that Feanor doesn't need much in the way of excuses for his actions. Interesting, anyway.

I really wanna hear the exact words of the Oath, but I think in a way it's more compelling and realistic that they're not included. Sort of like in horror films that build suspense and terror by not letting you get a good look at whatever's hunting the main characters. It's way more scary if you're never quite sure what it is and you're left to imagine the worst thing you can think of. I'm not saying the Oath is some kind of scary monster, but I think part of its power is that it's not explicit and so you can fill in the blanks with whatever would be the worst and most powerful oath that you yourself can imagine. Know what I mean?

I also want to like Feanor, and I do, I can, until I'm reading the Kinslaying and the ship burning. Then I get angry because those are cruel and unnecessary and insane actions. To say the least. Grrr.

And on that note, I'm done.  

Nimbrethil

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:59 pm
OF THE FLIGHT OF THE NOLDOR

First of all, I'd just like to comment that this Guild-wide reading seems to be more of a Nimby-Fala-Glorfy-imyavie reading. The rest of you? You should be ashamed.

Secondly, I comment as I read. That's why I seem to jump from one subject to the next all the time.

Nimbrethil

They made their dwelling place livable, and this is somehow enough to make them little angels again? I don't quite follow...

I will agree, however, that the chapters in Morgoth's Ring again surpasses that of the published Silmarillion. I too rather enjoyed the defiled thrones of the Valar. Serves the bastards right. And then there was the retelling of the attack on Formenos. Brave, noble Finwe, being the only one to stand before Melkor. Or maybe just foolish.

I feel so sorry for the Sindar. Here they are, living happily, when suddenly a great cry is heard. Horrible, twisted, and just plain evil. They dread the scream, even if they don't know what it was: the heralding of Death. They named themselves the Eglath, the Forsaken People, because the Valar left them behind when they wanted to continue on to Aman. And now death is come to them, and once again the Valar ignore them. They think the Noldor come to deliver them from death. Little do they know, the Noldor will be their final end...

I wonder for what reason it is that the Valar never told the Elves about Men. Sure, I can understand not talking about it for the first few ages of the Noontide, but it's been 6000 years since the awakening of the Quendi, and the Atani are supposed to pop up any minute now. I find that odd.

And there's Orodreth son of Angrod Finarfin, and father of Finduilas and Gil-galad. Only one of Finarfin's sons to stand by his father.

Fingolfin is awesome. Yes he is!

Feanor is... well, still an a**, but also awesome. A unique awesome, one that I find myself not wanting to like, but awesome all the same.

Feanor
But Feanor laughed, and spoke not to the herald, but to the Noldor, saying: 'So! Then will this valiant people send forth the heir of the King alone into banishment with his sons only, and return to their bondage? But if any will come with me, I say to them: Is sorrow foreboded to you? But in Aman we have seen it. In Aman we have come through bliss to woe. The other now will we try: through sorrow to find joy; or freedom, at the least.'

And turning to the herald he cried: 'Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest. Such hurt at the least I will do to the Foe of the Valar that even the mighty in the Ring of Doom shall wonder to hear it. Yea, in the end they shall follow me. Farewell!'

Then he acts like an a** and kills people. a**. Yay for Uinen and her attempts to kill the b*****d.

Doom of the Noldor! That's great and all, but a more suiting title would have been Doom of the Noldor and the Sindar and the Edain Even Though the Latter Two Did Nothing Wrong, Really. Wow, the Valar are a bunch of asses.

And then Feanor goes and kills his son. a**.

Elenwe, wife of Turgon. She was a Vanya, and as far as I know the only Vanya ever named to take part in the Exile. Ironically, she's also the only Vanya I really like. Go figure. wink

Nimbrethil, you said you liked that you don't ever hear the Oath. In that case, you may want to skip this part:

Oath of Feanor
Be he friend or foe, be he foul or clean,
brood of Morgoth or bright Vala,
Elda or Maia or Aftercomer,
Man yet unborn upon Middle-earth,
neither law, nor love, nor league of swords,
dread nor danger, not Doom itself,
shall defend him from Feanor, and Feanor's kin,
whoso hideth or hoardeth, or in hand taketh,
finding keepeth or afar casteth
a Silmaril. This swear we all:
death we will deal him ere Day's ending,
woe unto world's end! Our word hear thou,
Eru Allfather! To the everlasting
Darkness doom us if our deed faileth.
On the holy mountain hear in witness
and our vow remember, Manwe and Varda!

Woo.

Finally, I was going to start a debate regarding the goodness of the Valar at about this point, but it's all too apparent that just about no one is reading the Sil, save us four, so I guess there's not much of a point to that.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:13 pm
Wow Falathrim your post is long.

I heart Fingolfin!

I hate the kinslaying. I dislike Feanor and I think he should burn but karma kicks a** and he'll get what's coming to him.

I can't help but think about what I would do in those situations. I know I wouldn't have participated in the fight at Alqualonde. But would I even have left in the first place? How much would I have stuck to Feanor (considering I'm always classed as a stubborn mule, I'd get an idea in my head and stick with it maybe) or would I have stayed with Fingolfin? Gone back with Finarfin? *shurgs* so many questions and I can't answer them.

That's why I love reading this stuff. Makes me think 3nodding

And I'm done...  

Glorfirith Annun
Crew

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:28 pm
I'm going to respond to stuff because that's fun to do.

Falathrim
Nimbrethil

They made their dwelling place livable, and this is somehow enough to make them little angels again? I don't quite follow...

Heh. Bad joke, I guess.

Quote:
I feel so sorry for the Sindar. Here they are, living happily, when suddenly a great cry is heard. Horrible, twisted, and just plain evil. They dread the scream, even if they don't know what it was: the heralding of Death. They named themselves the Eglath, the Forsaken People, because the Valar left them behind when they wanted to continue on to Aman. And now death is come to them, and once again the Valar ignore them. They think the Noldor come to deliver them from death. Little do they know, the Noldor will be their final end...

I agree. However, to quote Amanda Marshall for no good reason: "Everybody's got a story that could break your heart." Yep. Don't know why that's relevant, but there it is.

Quote:
I wonder for what reason it is that the Valar never told the Elves about Men. Sure, I can understand not talking about it for the first few ages of the Noontide, but it's been 6000 years since the awakening of the Quendi, and the Atani are supposed to pop up any minute now. I find that odd.

Odder than waiting til the Elves are already awake to take care of that bothersome Melkor chap? wink

Woah! Teh Oath! Where's that printed? I was right though. I did like the mystery. It's still good, though. I'll never remember what that said. Crazy how it implicates Manwe and Varda specifically, though.

Quote:
Finally, I was going to start a debate regarding the goodness of the Valar at about this point, but it's all too apparent that just about no one is reading the Sil, save us four, so I guess there's not much of a point to that.

Sad and true. sad

Glorfirith Annun
I can't help but think about what I would do in those situations. I know I wouldn't have participated in the fight at Alqualonde. But would I even have left in the first place? How much would I have stuck to Feanor (considering I'm always classed as a stubborn mule, I'd get an idea in my head and stick with it maybe) or would I have stayed with Fingolfin? Gone back with Finarfin? *shurgs* so many questions and I can't answer them.

I was thinking about that too... I'd either be really for it (leaving) or really against it, just on principle, because everyone else was doing it. It's hard to say anyway, because if I were an Elf living in Valinor at the time, I probably wouldn't be anything like I am right now, so who knows? I would be taller, though. That would be nice. 3nodding

Edit: And in a fit of awesomeness and sheer luck, I snag post 100. Huzzah!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:39 pm
I think I mentioned I got carried away a while back. You guys finally caught up. (and I was too lazy to go back and skim through the parts I already read. So, tie me to a cliff. But if someone comes to rescue me, don't cut my hand off.)

So, the Noldor go C'ya!

Y'know, at the begining, I really did like Feanor. Actually I still do. -- Did -- up until the Kinslaying. I wanted to beat the s**t out of him for that.

He was almost willing to give the light of the Silmarils to Yavanna, and had mostly agreed to it, until he learned of his father's death. Silly Morgoth. You just unleashed the wrath of a mad-scientist Elf.

Now, as for the Oath of Feanor...y'know, it has its good points. Okay, aside from the fact that it means masses of MURDER DEATH KILL!!! I mean, if someone steals that which belongs in your family, you should go out and smite them. Until you get all creepy and posessive of it. Speaking of creepy and posessive, was I the only one who saw the parallel between Feanor and the Silmarils and Gollum and the Ring? Granted that the Silmarils didn't force him to become posessive over them.

Okay...the Kinslaying. Let's start with the statement: Elainya loves the Teleri. More than any other Elven race, the Teleri are closest to her heart. That being said, I cried when I read this chapter. I mean, I knew it was comming and everything, but I still cried. And then when the rest of the Noldor came in and went "Oh! Fight!" and just hopped in. >,< Silly Noldor, silly Oath. Turn back now, forsake the flight, go home.

So then they get a message. A dark figure *CoughManweCough* tells them to turn back, or have eternal DOOM!!!!!!one upon them. And they don't. Go Noldor...simply brilliant.

And now I think I have to wait another week before I can complain about my favorite red haired Elfy.  

Elainya

Falathrim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:53 pm
The Oath can be found in the Annals of Aman. Which is in Morgy's Ring.

...ain't Morgy's Ring the best?

Elainya
Turn back now, forsake the flight, go home.

*snip*

And they don't. Go Noldor...simply brilliant.

...see my quote above. The Noldor did not fear doom. Aman had brought them grief and misery, the Silmarils were stolen, and Morgoth was unleashing hell upon the world. Most importantly, it was all too clear that the Valar were not going to do anything about it. The Noldor may have been walking towards doom, but they hoped that, maybe, they'd find some joy amidst the sorrows. Joy that was lost to them in Aman.

I would have kept going.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:47 pm
I think that for an artistic genius, Feanor was mentally disturbed. He's too easily tricked and can jump to foolish conclusions. He was the cause of the kinslaying and the doom of the Noldor. Yet without him, the Noldor would have never migrated to Middle Earth and Morgoth might have been victorious.  

SYFFER

Nimbrethil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:55 pm
SYFFER
I think that for an artistic genius, Feanor was mentally disturbed.

I'd argue that most great art is the product of someone's neurosis. You can't come up with something innovative if you're thinking the same way as everyone else. Or whatever. I'm tired.

Quote:
He's too easily tricked and can jump to foolish conclusions.

He's just passionate, dammit! Passionate! razz  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces