Jesus is Lord!
  Amen!
View Results

Skibblez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:35 pm
Shadows-shine
FillerBunny093
Ok I have a couple questions.

1. Is the Catholic religion wrong for baptizing young children when they don't understand why they're being baptized, loving the pope, praising statues of Mary and such, and doing what they want as long as you say a few hail Mary's? ( I seriously don't mean to offend anyone I just want to know)

I personally believe infant baptism is wrong. I believe in the age of accountability (age cool . The person being baptized has every right and privilage to choose whether or not they want to do that, an infant does not understand that concept, nor have they committed any sins to repent of. I believe that humans are born sinless and innocent, so what point and purpose would there be to the baptism if the infant had commited no sins and doesn't understand the point of the baptism?

And about the Catholic church doing the hail Mary's, I think that's wrong, and I also consider it to be a form of idolotry, because technically they are praying to Mary instead of Heavenly Father.
Quote:
2. What does the Bible say about church? I had a girl tell me that as long as your good you don't have to go to church. She also thinks that you can drink, dance, listen to whatever, curse like a sailor, and pierce what you want as long as you repent.

The Bible isn't specific about Church. It does encourage fellowship though. I believe going to Church on a regular basis helps a person out. And the girl you know is misinformed. Repentance has to come from the heart. You can't just go out drinking and partying, come home, repent because you feel a little guilty, then go back out and do the same thing over and over again. That's not true repentance.

Quote:
And is roleplaying wrong? I don't roleplay as a homosexual or with magic or anything. ( Again I don't mean to offend anyone.)
I dont really have an answer for this one. You just need to act according to what your conscience tells you to do. Ask Heavenly Father what He thinks, then decide what you should do about role playing.

actually the bible is very specific about going to church.. i suck at rembering verses, but my pastor told me about a verse when my mom refused to go to church, it said that anyone who did not gather with other Christians for fellowship and worship of God is not saved. oh how i wish i remembered the verse......  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops

Drinking leads to drunkenness. True. And eating food can lead to overeating or gluttony. Does that make eating a sin?

No. And drinking alcohol isn't a sin, either.

It's about practicing self-control (one of the fruit of the spirit) and moderation. The glass of wine example from earlier is actually good for you. And do not forget that Jesus Himself made wine through one of his miracles, and drank it often.

But He was never drunk. And that's the key.

very true. biblicly there is nothing wrong with having a beer. i don't know about you but it takes me about 3 beers before i can feel anything abnormal at all, but i stick to one. however, going out ofter work with the buddies, having seven beers, 2 glasses of crown, a yeger shot, then going to your buddies apartment, having 5 more beers, losing your shirt (i really miss that shirt) jumping off the apartment waterfall into the 3 feet deep swiming pool, coming up screaming "f*** yeah", then driving home across front the west side to the east side of one of the largest cities in america when you can't even stand up straight at 2 am... is quite a sin. needless to say that was a long time ago and i don't do that anymore.................  

Skibblez

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 pm
Skibblez
Shadows-shine
FillerBunny093

1. Is the Catholic religion wrong for baptizing young children when they don't understand why they're being baptized, loving the pope, praising statues of Mary and such, and doing what they want as long as you say a few hail Mary's? ( I seriously don't mean to offend anyone I just want to know)

I personally believe infant baptism is wrong. I believe in the age of accountability (age cool . The person being baptized has every right and privilage to choose whether or not they want to do that, an infant does not understand that concept, nor have they committed any sins to repent of. I believe that humans are born sinless and innocent, so what point and purpose would there be to the baptism if the infant had commited no sins and doesn't understand the point of the baptism?

And about the Catholic church doing the hail Mary's, I think that's wrong, and I also consider it to be a form of idolotry, because technically they are praying to Mary instead of Heavenly Father.
Quote:
2. What does the Bible say about church? I had a girl tell me that as long as your good you don't have to go to church. She also thinks that you can drink, dance, listen to whatever, curse like a sailor, and pierce what you want as long as you repent.

The Bible isn't specific about Church. It does encourage fellowship though. I believe going to Church on a regular basis helps a person out. And the girl you know is misinformed. Repentance has to come from the heart. You can't just go out drinking and partying, come home, repent because you feel a little guilty, then go back out and do the same thing over and over again. That's not true repentance.

Quote:
And is roleplaying wrong? I don't roleplay as a homosexual or with magic or anything. ( Again I don't mean to offend anyone.)
I dont really have an answer for this one. You just need to act according to what your conscience tells you to do. Ask Heavenly Father what He thinks, then decide what you should do about role playing.

actually the bible is very specific about going to church.. i suck at rembering verses, but my pastor told me about a verse when my mom refused to go to church, it said that anyone who did not gather with other Christians for fellowship and worship of God is not saved. oh how i wish i remembered the verse......

If you are referring to the one where Jesus said that "where two or more are gathered in my name that is my church" or some thing that...That is not saying You HAVE to go to a building that is called a church or chapel or sancturary to worship or fellowship with other Christians. The Bible doesn't say that you have to go to Church either. And going to a building to sing songs and listen to a pastor lecture you does not determine ones salvation. You are "saved" when you accept Christ as Lord and Saviour and agree to obey all His commandments and endure to the end.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:04 pm
I think that the heart of this conversation is about salvation.

Some believe that in order to be saved you must believe and do whatever
(get baptized, go to church, sign a card, join a church, do good things, blah blah).

Mainstream catholics are big advocators of faith + works=salvation. This was decided during the counter-reformation in the 17th century. After Martin Luther began the Reformation, the Catholic church had to get together and reaffirm some things as they were losing many members to the movement. One of those things was that one needs works and faith to be saved.

In his letter to the church in Colosse, Paul addresses the same thing under a different light. The new church there was under the attack of Gnostisicism (it is assumed), a belief that held that one needs estoric knowledge to be saved. He says this:

Colossians 2:13-When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having cancelled the written code, with its regulations[...] nailing it to the cross

He further says:
Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of the world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: [...] Such regulations have the appearance of wisdom...bu they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence. -Colossians 2:20 & 23

There are other verses that condemn the belief that any human work is needed for salvation ("it is a gift of God, not of works lest anyone should boast" etc.). Therefore, any philosophy or belief that holds to anything other than Faith+ NOTHING=salvation is heresy. God did the work of salvation without human help...and He requires nothing, neither can we ever repay him. Other beliefs enslave young christians and others under fear.

So we can't do anything to save ourselves...it's a gift of God and He'll forgive us of anything we do...yes but that is NOT a license to sin.
Believing that once you are saved you are free to do whatever you want because God will forgive you is a huge and deadly trap of Satan. In James, the fact of the matter is made very very clear:

In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.-2:17

Martin Luther put it this way, a man may or may not do good deeds, but a good man WILL do good deeds. In other words, those who are truly Spirit born will act like it. A dog acts like a dog, a cat like a cat. I can put a sign on the dog with a label that screams that it's a cat...but the fact is it's a dog and will thus act like one.

Paul again says in Colossians: For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God [...] Put to death therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used too walk in these ways in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthly language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off you old self with its practices and have put on the new self [...] 3:3 & 5-10a

Christians are representatives and slaves of God, and those who do not act like it are the leading cause if atheism in the world.

Anyway to summarize, you can do nothing to be saved, and salvation will be evidenced through one's actions. Everything else in the above list ^ must be "put off".  

K345

Skibblez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:41 am
Shadows-shine
Skibblez
Shadows-shine
FillerBunny093

Quote:

Quote:

If you are referring to the one where Jesus said that "where two or more are gathered in my name that is my church" or some thing that...That is not saying You HAVE to go to a building that is called a church or chapel or sancturary to worship or fellowship with other Christians. The Bible doesn't say that you have to go to Church either. And going to a building to sing songs and listen to a pastor lecture you does not determine ones salvation. You are "saved" when you accept Christ as Lord and Saviour and agree to obey all His commandments and endure to the end.

i know which one your talking about. no it's not that one. it's one that comes right out and says that if you don't gather with other believers, then you aren't a true follower of Christ. i'll try to find it and get back with you smile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:13 am
DoubleHTripleZ
In Genesis it states that on the second day God created an expanse between the waters, but land wasn't created until the third day right? In a few versions of the Bible it states that it was sky between the waters, but clouds are...under the sky right? or part of it? some people i have asked think that it was entirely above the sky, clouds and all, some think that what Gen. 1:6 meant was that instead of being all water that God created the sky, and that the water above it is clouds.

surprisingly there is a bit of scientific evidence of this that matches up with the first seven days, but does this count as christian science or as evidence that it was indeed divine creation and not chance?

X

help a confused sister?

I know this has been answered before, but I've asked my pastor about this before, and it turns out they did a big study on this. So basically I'm just repeated everything that he told me.

When God seperated the two waters, there was a 'forcefield' of water surrounding the earth. That's what kept the earth at a tropical climate for so long, and that's what helped people live as long as they did. It absorbed a lot of the suns rays and acted like an insulater for the earth. But when God sent the flood upon the earth, he used those waters for the flood. Therefor, no more forcefield. The climate changed after the flood, because the water no longer insulated the earth. People didn't live as long because of the direct UV rays. (whether God ment this to happen, or whether it was just a side effect, I don't know)

That's what they've told me, and I have to admit it makes a lot of sense. At least to me it does.  

kita44

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Window Shopper 100

SlTVM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:21 pm
I have a question. It pertains to the great war between Christianity and nudism. Many justify it, rolleyes many condemn it evil I, personally have decided to play it safe and avoid it confused What do you think?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am
i personally dont see anuything wrong with nudity. god first made adam and eve and they were nude for quite a while.

ive always been told that the human body is a work of art and that we should embrace our bodies, not be ashamed of them

im not saying we shouldnt wear clothes, but if you go to a nude beach i dont think you will be condemed for it  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:49 am
RighteousMan117
I have a question. It pertains to the great war between Christianity and nudism. Many justify it, rolleyes many condemn it evil I, personally have decided to play it safe and avoid it confused What do you think?

Personally I have a problem when people try and show as much skin as possible. It's offensive to me. I am a firm believer in modesty and that clothes should be worn that cover the body. I also think that a lot of times what you wear and how you dress says a lot about who you are.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:44 pm
Shadows-shine
RighteousMan117

Personally I have a problem when people try and show as much skin as possible. It's offensive to me. I am a firm believer in modesty and that clothes should be worn that cover the body. I also think that a lot of times what you wear and how you dress says a lot about who you are.

I agree.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

emorhconom esor

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 am
Why does most of the honor and praise go to God and Jesus? Why is it people just brush the Holy Spirit to the side, he's apart of the trinity too?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:40 am
RighteousMan117

We were born nude, Adam and Eve were nude, Jesus was crusified nude. You can find nude people through out the Bible. Here's the thing people are getting confused with what the Bible calls shameful with sin. We are called to be modest so that we don't tempt others in to sinning. "But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart" Mathew 5:28. It is our job not to become a stubling block for others so than their walk is easier.  

emorhconom esor

Hilarious Lunatic

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 am
gothic_black_rose
Why does most of the honor and praise go to God and Jesus? Why is it people just brush the Holy Spirit to the side, he's apart of the trinity too?

Well if you believe in the trinity, and that the members of the trinity are all one in the same, then you are paying honor to the Holy Ghost.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:59 am
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose

Well if you believe in the trinity, and that the members of the trinity are all one in the same, then you are paying honor to the Holy Ghost.

Yet they are also seperate identities. You hear people thanking Jesus for dying on the cross and God for be the Father of creation. I just want to know why you don't normally hear people thanking the Holy Spirit for keeping us connected to God.  

emorhconom esor

Hilarious Lunatic

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:03 am
gothic_black_rose
Shadows-shine
gothic_black_rose

Yet they are also seperate identities. You hear people thanking Jesus for dying on the cross and God for be the Father of creation. I just want to know why you don't normally hear people thanking the Holy Spirit for keeping us connected to God.

*shrugs* I don't know. I don't believe in the trinity, so it's hard for me to explain reasonings behind it. I bet Scarlett or some one will be able to give you a good answer. ( sweatdrop sorry I can't be more help)  
Bible Questions and Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff