Welcome to Gaia! ::

Numenore - A LOTR Community

Back to Guilds

Tags: Lotr, Tolkien 

Reply Mittalmar - Original Archives
Characterization most butchered Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:47 pm
I really didn't like Boromir's characteration. He was shown as being jealous of Aragorn and obsessed with the ring. He was tempted by the ring and even in the books its said that he always resented the fact that his father was steward and not king, but something about movie Boromir just didn't feel right. I think everything that needs to be said about Faramir has been said so I'm just going to let that one lie.
When Frodo told Sam to leave I wanted to strangle someone. I was like "NO!" It made Frodo look a like a little a*****e for sending Sam off when all Sam had ever done was try to protect and help Frodo.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:54 pm
Ahh I feel the same about Frodo. But seeing as it's a movie they did it for a dramatic effect xd It's plot really blaugh

I do agree to some extent about Boromir, but seeing as we didn't get much background information about him during the movie they kind of had to do this Boromir so people would understand what was going on and so that they could know what he planned to do.  

churrlo

Soloikos

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:02 pm
Onoj
Elainya I think I love you. I was so pissed about Faramir's utter destruction character-wise to the point where I can hardly watch TTT anymore. In the book he never even thought twice about the ring but in the movie that was all he wanted. Don't even get me started on the part where he actually took the Hobbits to Osgiliath. rolleyes

This may have come up already, but I think that Boromir and Faramir's characters were most butchered because of all the specific character changes and the fact that they reversed the genealogy. Faramir was the firstborn. But in the movies they make him the second son and apparently little more than an unfortunate accident. I really don't see any reason behind the reversal. I would love it if someone could enlighten me, however.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:30 am
What? No......Faramir was always the second son right? Where did you get the impression he was the first-born?

His character and Boromir's were rather butchered though...so much better in the book, where Faramir wasn't a wimp and Boromir wasn't completely insane and ugly....(*cough* no offence to Sean Bean.....)  

Rudhe
Captain

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:22 pm
I thought Faramir was the second-born too, if for no there reason then that something was said about Boromir's horn being passed down the the eldest son.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:27 pm
I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain that one of the appendices lists the genealogy with Faramir as the firstborn. I have always thought that Faramir was older and a little bit more sensible in terms of strategy and then Boromir was younger and a bit more rash, but that gave him the impetus to rally the troops around him. And both were therefore great leaders of men, in different ways.  

Soloikos

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:06 am
No Faramir was always the second son. Boromir was always loved more by Denethor because of how he was a courageous leader. It's like the whole older sibling overshadowing the young one you know.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:33 pm
Faramir was described as being able to see into the hearts of men as Denethor could, and being similar to his father in other ways, while Boromir was very different than Denethor, which was partially why Denethor prefered Boromir. (I don't quite get it though)  

Tears of the Siren

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:48 pm
*shrugs* I'd have to read the books again gonk  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:23 am
Sakura Uzamachi
Faramir was described as being able to see into the hearts of men as Denethor could, and being similar to his father in other ways, while Boromir was very different than Denethor, which was partially why Denethor prefered Boromir. (I don't quite get it though)

Perhaps Denethor was really quite an insecure person inside, therefore learned to hate himself and the traits that are associated to him.

Alternatively, Elenyae made a nicer explanation that since opposites attract ...stuff it I'll give you direct conversation....

Rudh: Can you explain?
Elenyae: Oh? Well, opposites attract.
Rudh: Well that's certainly profound....
Elenyae: Denethor saw how Boromir complemented him
Elenyae:to "rule" Gondor
Rudh: ....and Faramir would sort of contest with him being similar?
Elenyae: That's why Denethor started out good but then went slowly loopy

I thought that nicely summed it up and I'm sure if Elly has anymore she will do so when she escapes her "lovely" schedule.  

Rudhe
Captain

Almsivi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:29 am
I'd have to say I was most angry with how they butchered Gimli. I saw the movies before reading the books, and I remember thinking, This guy is so dumb; he's just the comic relief. He was so much better in the books.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm
Almsivi
I'd have to say I was most angry with how they butchered Gimli. I saw the movies before reading the books, and I remember thinking, This guy is so dumb; he's just the comic relief. He was so much better in the books.

I could agree with that. I like the choice of actor for portraying Gimli in the movie, but I think PJ could have toned down the heavy-handed comedy that so many of Gimli's lines became - as you said, better portrayed in the books. And the worst of that ill-timed comedy, to me, was in the RotK movie as he and Legolas and Aragorn walked the Paths of the Dead... sad  

Nerienda

Ginny97263

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:29 pm
Falathrim
They needed Faramir's character to change because Frodo needed conflict. The only way to give Frodo conflict without getting him to Shelob in the second movie would have been to do something to Faramir.

It was in all honesty a lose/lose situation for PJ. Either change Faramir's character or make Frodo's story arc boring as hell.

I think They changed Faramir's character to show how badly the Ring wanted to get back into Men's weak hands. Gandalf did say that the Ring look after itself, remember from the prolouge? 'And the Ring of Powers has a will of it's own'? I think they wanted to show that, so having Faramir ignore the Ring would have made people get confused. Even Galadriel and Aragorn were tempted by it, and wanted to take it. So If Faramir hadn't tried to take it, well, do you get my point, or must I continue. Because I can.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:32 pm
Oh, and don't Murder me for my sig, I like HP, but LOTR is soooooooo much better.  

Ginny97263

Ginny97263

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:50 pm
Tears of the Siren
I really didn't like Boromir's characteration. He was shown as being jealous of Aragorn and obsessed with the ring. He was tempted by the ring and even in the books its said that he always resented the fact that his father was steward and not king, but something about movie Boromir just didn't feel right. I think everything that needs to be said about Faramir has been said so I'm just going to let that one lie.
When Frodo told Sam to leave I wanted to strangle someone. I was like "NO!" It made Frodo look a like a little a*****e for sending Sam off when all Sam had ever done was try to protect and help Frodo.

I agree, and disagree. They did need something a bit dramatic, cause just climbing the stairs was getting boring. And plus the way Tolkein wrote the Shelob part (Please don't kill me!) Was written oddley. The peices didn't match to well, and he kind of forced. This way worked better, but it did make Frodo look bad, but do you get my point? And once again, it was kind of showing the Ring's force. It wanted to get away from Frodo. With Shelob, orcs would find it, and then Souron would get it. You see it's reasoning?  
Mittalmar - Original Archives

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff