Welcome to Gaia! ::

Neon Love

Back to Guilds

A place to hangout and be yourself among friends who Love you. 

Tags: Friendship, Love, Activities, Craziness, Anime 

Reply Seasonal Threads (For stuff that comes every once in a while)
Laissez le Bon temp rouler Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The best Carnival Masquerade Ball costume goes to:
  LittleTnCo
  PieMonster2000
  Hazumu-san
View Results

Gweener

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:31 pm
And here are a few vids of individual floats going by and a marching band (but the street light went out right after I started taping) to really give you a feel for what it's like to actually be there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDDNI1CmRVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVTYrnrgMuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXhoijAHSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx0l31LihpU  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 pm
Those were good Gwee. They are so elaborate, I've really never seen floats like that around here, even during the large number of festivals during the summer. You are very lucky. biggrin  

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Gweener

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm
I'm glad u enjoyed it.
I'm kinda feeling like I'm missing out on the party right now. There were all kinds of parades in the city today and more tomorrow. Alot of people are catching the parades today and camping out on the streets to have a good spot for tomorrow's parades. No bathrooms, and no real place to sleep, but hey, it's tradition!

I remember going to parades in California and thinking... that's it!? Just waving?

Do you think you'd go if you lived here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 am
Thanks for all your hard work on this.  

LittleTnCo
Vice Captain

ChainsawDooM
Vice Captain

Dangerous Conversationalist

24,625 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:24 pm
I heard some people got shot not too long ago, there... what happened?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:21 pm
Are you talking about the bartender chic that got robbed and shot while headed to work in the French Quarter by the teenage boys? That was just awful. I hope they get tried as adults. I don't see why their parents let them run the streets especially late at night after curfew anyway! There has really been a breakdown of the family in urban places.

Since then there has been alot of talk from the business owners and police to work together to bring down the crime rate in New Orleans. They talked about keeping the streets well lit (criminals like to knock the lights out) and maybe even mark the roads for the tourists. Everyone here knows the tourism is the only life blood New Orleans has, and the good people are determined to not let the bad elements bring it down.

I like to visit there, but almost always during the daylight hours. And I've done the whole dress up and go to Mardi Gras thing (every couple of years), but I've never done the Bourbon Street thing on Mardi Gras. I'm hoping to visit the Museum of Art tomorrow or the next day. Maybe I'll get some more pics to share. (Where should I post them if I do?)

Gweener

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:19 pm
Here's my Carnival Outfit!
User Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 am
Ooo ^^ Very nice, Hazu! Gorgeous..! :3  

PieMonster2000
Crew

Hilarious Phantom

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm
Thank you heart you look great too!  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 am
You all look(ed) very nice for the ball. There's no doubt, y'all would have a blast.

Mardi Gras night I watched The Rex Ball, and I even caught some of the history of it on another channel. It was interesting how much pride, planning, and prestige the whole thing is handled with.

I like it because it's the upper crust of society, dressed all elegantly, yet partying behind masks to really let loose.

Gweener

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:23 pm
I think it would be interesting to go to one. To dress in an elegant gown, and to see the Rex and Queen. That would be so totally cool!  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:10 pm
I always thought it was cool the way they clear Bourbon Street Mardi Gras night at precisely 12 o'clock midnight,- the police officers mounting their horses side by side and start at one end of the street and move the crowd.

But boy I would want to be in that crowd! People all drunk and packed together touching... u know some one's going to spill a drink on your. and heaven help you if you're a little buzzed yourself, at those close quarters, pickpockets pretty much have it handed to them, huh!? Guess I just don't like being around a bunch of drunk people. Some one's always got to be the angry drunk; the "man" trying to prove his manliness, or jealous b*tches... No Thanks!

Gweener

Gweener

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:17 pm
OH! That show on the history of Rex...
they had wanted to spice it up, so went to Italy to learn how they do their floats; we're talking animatronics, movement everywhere on the floats... very elaborate!

And, Chain, I heard one of the city officials talking on the news about the shootings, and he said some incidents are to be expected in a big city especially when hundreds of thousands of people descend on it and add to that population.

I guess he was giving it to us straight, no sugar coating. They even interviewed people on the street where some shootings happened on the parade route, and they were very nonchalant, like oh well, it could happen anywhere.

Personally, I prefer the smaller town parades outside New Orleans. It's surprising, although maybe t shouldn't be, how territorial people can get!

So anyone ever had crawfish before; or think it's gross, or what?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 pm
i had some, in some gumbo. It was at a Mardi Gras party that I went too. I thought it was ok. I also remember catching one in the stream behind my parents house when I was young. It scared the heck out of me. xp  

Hazumu-san
Captain

Liberal Genius

8,575 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

ChainsawDooM
Vice Captain

Dangerous Conversationalist

24,625 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:39 am
I don't really like any seafood other than tuna-fish in a can... I mean... I could eat it... but... what's the point in ordering something like fish, crab, shrimp, or lobster if I could have more fun with a steak or pasta or something.

I like sea-food less than I like peanut butter (I dislike peanut butter, by the way...)... but I can at least eat it... so if I had to survive on it, I could.

The only food I can really think of right now that I pretty much can't tolerate at all (but have tried to at least once before) are black olives, eggplant, black licorice, and beets... That I can think of right now...

... I also refuse to try any cheese that visibly has mold growing in it... such as bleu, brie, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, etc... I guess I could probably try it... maybe... but... It's sort of counter to my common sense to eat something that's moldy... even if those molds are Penicillium... although different species than the one used to make Penicillin vaccines... but, eh...  
Seasonal Threads (For stuff that comes every once in a while)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games