Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So, why are you unafraid of dying? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:30 pm
i will eventually read all of the posts in between the first one and mine, but to answer right away why i'm not afraid of dying:

I don't consider myself alive in the first place, so i can't really die if i'm not alive.

But dont' get me wrong, i'm not suicidal or think life sucks or anything like that, (but life does suck) it's just that since i can't see, hear, touch, taste, or smell ME, i can't really assert that it is "I" who is alive. i mean, i know my body is, but where in the ******** IN my body do "i" reside anyway? i'm not the fingers that are typing right now, i'm not the lungs that are breathing right now, nor the brain that is connecting neurons right now, so what in the ******** am i?

So yeah, if i'm nowhere really, then i can't exist/be alive, therefore death is nothing to be scared of at all. Fear of injury... now that's something else. But can we really fight that very basic instict of us?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:46 pm
When I was little, the idea of heaven terrified me. I hated the idea of eternal life. Thinking about it now almost brings me to tears. There's just such...despair in being unable to rest, suspended in half-life for all eternity in service to some omnipotent being. It's slavery. It's horrible. Hell and Heaven were equally terrifying concepts.
I'm happy I won't live after death. That means I can focus on loving life in the here and now. That means my accomplishments as a living human being won't be undermined by the eternity as a "soul". I love this. Anything else would be absolute torture.
The very idea of life after death cheapens the beauty of life. I hate it.  

Dread Dionaea

IDTgoo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:05 am
I never was afraid of death
I was always scared of hell
then i relized it was a bunch of bull s**t
how could it exist?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:13 pm
Eh :/

I'm atheist to the core

And I am terrified of dying
Not the fact that there is nothing

But just the fact that when you're dead... you're dead
I dont want to die

Sanddru

bostaffskills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:11 am
I do fear death. I don't know why being an atheist should make you unafraid of it. I don't want to die. I want to do as much as I possibly can with my life and try not to think about it. I sometimes wish there was some kind of afterlife, but wishing something doesn't mean I believe in it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:25 am
bostaffskills
but wishing something doesn't mean I believe in it.

QFT
its a nice thought.... afterlife. in a lot of ways, i think believing in an afterlife would make dying less terrifying. many people don't fear death quite as much becasue they "know" theyll be going somewhere afterwards. i cant bring myself to believe that, no matter how nice it may seem. i believe that when we die, thats it. all of our body functions cease to go on, and thus we lose all that makes us think and feel. take a peice of meat and let it rot. thats about the long and the short of it.
ultimatly, however, i do not fear death as much as the above statement might lead you to believe. i actually fear aging and growing old more then dying. when i am at the point in my life when i am unable to perform basic tasks without assistance... thats the thought that terrifies me. i look at the elderly, and i think "im going to end up like that." gonk at that point its memory loss and incontinence vs. unfeeling hunk of meat. its a terrible thought, but yea... that fear overrides any fears i have of actually dying.  

C.E.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:17 pm
C.E.
bostaffskills
but wishing something doesn't mean I believe in it.

QFT
its a nice thought.... afterlife. in a lot of ways, i think believing in an afterlife would make dying less terrifying. many people don't fear death quite as much becasue they "know" theyll be going somewhere afterwards. i cant bring myself to believe that, no matter how nice it may seem. i believe that when we die, thats it. all of our body functions cease to go on, and thus we lose all that makes us think and feel. take a peice of meat and let it rot. thats about the long and the short of it.
ultimatly, however, i do not fear death as much as the above statement might lead you to believe. i actually fear aging and growing old more then dying. when i am at the point in my life when i am unable to perform basic tasks without assistance... thats the thought that terrifies me. i look at the elderly, and i think "im going to end up like that." gonk at that point its memory loss and incontinence vs. unfeeling hunk of meat. its a terrible thought, but yea... that fear overrides any fears i have of actually dying.

Your first statement reminded me of a story my roommate told me about a preacher he got a ride with. They got in the car and the preacher started the engine. My roommate said "Aren't you gonna put on your seat belt?"

"Nah, If the lord wants me, he'll take me whether I wear a seatbelt or not."

Psycho! But oh well, one less, right? Just kidding ya'll. I agree with you though. I fear aging like all hell. But more than that, i fear losing my mental will. Most people when they get old get religious. I hope my mind doesn't rot so bad that I start to believe. I fear that more than anything.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:24 pm
The only thing I fear about death is the pain before hand. I dont fear death coz after I die I wont care, coz I'll have no conciousness or whatever.  

Elliebites

Killian Darkwater

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:38 pm
I'm not scared of dying.

I believe death to be peace. No thinking, no existing, no ego, nothing. But what I am scared of are these freaking rumors of ones brain remaining active and receptive to pain for like 3 months after death.

=/ Do you think I wanna feel myself burn in the crematory and not be able to scream? I think not.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:01 pm
I am scared of dieing because I know it is the end.

With no afterlife waiting on the other side I think of it as the world just...Stopping. (I have some weird Theories about how Personal Time acts because of it.)

One thing about death I like is that most ways you KNOW what is going to happen...Decease, Old age, Suicide It is really only an "accident" which you don't know it is happening to you...I have decided that if I commit Suicide...I am going to do it in Style and Take as many people out with me as possible. My current plan is Skydiving Dirty Suicide bombing a city (not sure about if it is with or without a Parachute.)  

Shaded Spriter

LadyDarcia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:13 pm
Do I fear death? Not in the sense that I live my life in fear of it. But if some psyco is holding a gun to my head, I'd definatly be all "OMG IM GONNA DIE!!! gonk -spazz-"

It is perfectly normal to be wary of death. In fact, I believe it is an essential survival trait to the species as a whole. If not for this fear, we'd have to print out a new book of Darwin awards daily.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:30 am
I believe in an afterlife. It makes sense, scientifically, that there would be other dimensions out there that we're not aware of. I mean, it can't be proven, but it can't be disproven.

But it's nice to think there is one...

Am I afraid of dying? Not so much afraid of dying as I am of dying painfully. Like being smushed under a giant rock or something. Ouch. xp  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:37 am
I'm scared shitless of dying. So scared to the point where I have created some bizarre belief on what the actual "experience" of dying is actually like that can be related to reincarnation, but actually isn't reincarnation in the least. The thing is, I intellectually know nothing happens after death, but that belief is how I deal with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:56 pm
My personal dealings with death [fancy way of saying suicide attempts] have worked to reassure me that there is nothing to fear about death. I don't fear the actual dying. Lying on my bathroom floor, puking my guts up, as I fade in and out of consciousness, is the most peaceful feeling I've ever been able to find. I don't fear what's after death, because I don't believe we're actually alive. I believe I'm dead right now, and this is my life on repeat for eternity. This is just an illusion, as will be my death.

Super Perfundo

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces