Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Coming out as an atheist Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:59 am
I "came out" when I was 12. My mom encouraged me to really think about the way I viewed God, if I viewed Him as some old white guy with a beard and a robe in the sky, or if I had a more abstract view of Him. I'm glad she asked me that, because it only enforced my belief. She still believes that I'm too young and inexperienced to really know what I believe. It's something of a touchy subject with us, but we talk about it openly. She might be right that I'm too inexperienced, so I keep my mind open to the possibilities.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:07 pm
Good for you for being so... openminded about that.

Me? my BFF made the mistake of telling her mom I'm an atheist, and appearantly, "i'm too young to know" and "I should try other stuff before I decide whether i dont' want to believe in a deity". I started ranting, so she promised to ask her "would you say the same thing if she was christain?"

yeah, like that needs to be asked.

An she didn't even think I knew what an atheist was before she told my friend what the def. was and my BFF said "yeah, that's her".

In case you didn't figure it out, I wasn't there when this went down, by friend told me about it after.  

Ruminating Skeptic

CleverScreenname

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:47 am
I once had a friend who was a very devout Catholic, and when we first met she asked me what my religion was. When I told her I was an atheist, she told her mom and her mom, in the clearly brilliant stroke of genius this was, concluded that I must be a witch and ordered her daughter to stop hanging out with me. It was kind of a strange occurance, but we didn't stop hanging out anyway. I have since gotten to know the mother, and my status has been "upgraded" to "misguided," which is more of an insult to my parents than to me.

I think many religious people think it's very sad when they see someone who does not believe in a diety, because it means abandoning something that provides "faith" and "belief," which to them cannot be fulfilled on the same level without a diety. I can understand why that would make them feel sympathetic to an atheist. I think it's easier for a non-believer to grasp what it's like to be a believer than vice versa. It's harder for them to understand how you can exist happily or completely without the existence of something they hold very dear to their hearts. So whenever I hear stuff like "you should be open minded!" I accept it as good advice (as I cannot prove that there is no god anyway) and take it with a grain of salt.

Of course, it's still frustrating that I can't say "you should be open minded" to someone who is religious without deeply offending that person in most cases.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:59 pm
I told my parents and they didn't seem to care, ones Gnostic ones agnostic and my brother is atheist as well.  

Llamalicious16

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:55 am
I like OP's avatar. My parents are not religious. They didn't exactly raise me to be an atheist, but it happened that way because I didn't understand that there is other kinds of theism than x-tianity and they told me that x-tianity was a bunch non-sensical lies.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:15 am
Well, my tale may not seem one of encouragement, but it is.

If you check my introduction thread you can find the details of it.

Short version is this: at the beginning of the day I felt I could safely say I had 30 or more close, trustworthy friends and a caring grandparent.

My friends, all of whom were made through the same church, were fine with me being an Atheist, but rejected me upon my admission of bisexuality.

My grandparent could accept my bisexuality but was appalled that I denied God.

The end result was that I was reduced to two timid friends and no home by the end of that night.

Interestingly enough, before that I /needed/ all those people to constantly tell me its okay, I'm right, this is the correct lifestyle (being a heterosexual Christian), yet I was full of doubt.

Yet, with none of those people in my life, now, I'm more sure than ever that I'm living a great life, and can sleep peacefully and look myself in the mirror and smile.

If knowing and accepting yourself, seeing through the tricks of charlatans and understanding the magnificence of the universe without the intoxication of hate-fueled tribal doctrines would be described as a "wasting" my life, then I shudder to think what an applied life might be.

My support is here for any of you who are worried about "coming out" and finding confidence in your Atheism, please don't hesitate to PM me.  

Theophrastus

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm
I really don't tell many people anymore, as I usually face harsh ridicule.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:41 pm
Arios V
Same here..and since Im Black...well you know...  

Sho-NUFF!

Beloved Humorist

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:12 pm
Sho-NUFF!
Arios V

Sometimes the best you can do is say nothing. What they don't know, won't hurt you.

A lot of people make it a mistake of telling to soon, or too early. Race should have nothing to do with it, you know?

Then again, where I live...I've only met one person who comes close to being atheist that is actually african american. Then again...she's half irish too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Sanguvixen
Sho-NUFF!
Arios V

Sometimes the best you can do is say nothing. What they don't know, won't hurt you.

A lot of people make it a mistake of telling to soon, or too early. Race should have nothing to do with it, you know?

Then again, where I live...I've only met one person who comes close to being atheist that is actually african american. Then again...she's half irish too.
Well, since most Black people are devout Christians, anything else is unacceptable. I really dont know how my folks would react if I told them....theywould probably try to convert me and tell me Im going to go through eternal damnnation maybe disown me...but then My brother went Muslim.....but since he still believes in a 'God' I guess its not that bad, and its acceptable. I feel like my race shouldnt have any impact on what I decide to be, but the influence is so strong that people dont see past that.

Wow, 26 and afraid to tell my family things.....scary.  

Sho-NUFF!

Beloved Humorist

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:30 pm
Sho-NUFF!
Sanguvixen
Sho-NUFF!
Arios V

Well, since most Black people are devout Christians, anything else is unacceptable. I really dont know how my folks would react if I told them....theywould probably try to convert me and tell me Im going to go through eternal damnnation maybe disown me...but then My brother went Muslim.....but since he still believes in a 'God' I guess its not that bad, and its acceptable. I feel like my race shouldnt have any impact on what I decide to be, but the influence is so strong that people dont see past that.

Yeah....well so long as you are living with your family letting them know is a bad idea. Once you are on your own, you have a stable job...and won't have to worry about having someplace to fall back on...then tell.

I'm 19...and I rely on my mom. She's all I have. I know if I told her she'd...not take it well. So to me I'd rather just stay quiet, you know? I like her actually caring about me, and I don't want her to shun me for believing in one less god than she does.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:02 am
SHO-NUFF, I'd love you to PM me on AIM/YIM, sometime.

There's a lot I'd like to talk to you about.

And I'm behind you 100%, as I am any guildies who are willing to take that step out.  

Theophrastus

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:04 pm
Sho-NUFF!
Sanguvixen
Sho-NUFF!
Arios V

My Sister is 29 and there are many things she's scared to say to our Dad. It's like this, he's probably about 6-7 inches shorter than I am (I'm 6' 3") and I weigh about 260 lbs (Not fat, have the body type of a Running back) and he can pick me up and slam me into the floor with relative ease. Not to mention he's incredibly scary when he's angry. Scary enough to make your blood run ice cold.

Race should never be a factor in anything, especially in what you want to do with your life. However, society has always struggled with this problem and it doesn't look like it will be fixed anytime soon. Also, she is right, sometimes the best thing to say is not to say anything at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:04 pm
My mom cried.

Bah.

hachimitsugirl

darkwolf possession

darkwolf possession

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:33 pm
My parents know, they dont really care about it.

My friends know, and it doesnt bother them
We just dont talk about religion (as you know, it can get ugly)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff