Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:52 am
Sai-kun

Half the thrill is in the hunt, in having something youve been looking for for a long time finally in your hands! Having to earn it, being able to appreciate time and heart that the mangaka put into their work >_<

Oh, I know so well what you're talking about... having ordered those precious volumes, waiting for weeks, and then, finally you're standing there with the books in your hands and that special smell in your nose. crying What joy!

I don't mind mangas being liscensed, since I prefer reading on paper, not on the screen. Ok, scans are nice and all, but not everyone can read those. I don't have broadband, can't use IRC or bittorent, so most of the things out there are out of my reach. I spend way too much time hunting http:s only to find they wi'll take four hours to download, and I can't do that. Then, if I finally have got it, they're often of worse quality than even american paper manga.

I don't mean to flame all scans, It's wonderful to read unliscensed manga (almost) for free, but it's not the best alternative for everyone. For me, manga is best on paper, and I'm prepared to spend some money on it.

Though, you americans have the right to complain. We're getting quite a lot new published manga in Sweden these days, with better printing quality for a far lower price. Why is manga so expensive in the states?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:51 pm
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun

Half the thrill is in the hunt, in having something youve been looking for for a long time finally in your hands! Having to earn it, being able to appreciate time and heart that the mangaka put into their work >_<

Oh, I know so well what you're talking about... having ordered those precious volumes, waiting for weeks, and then, finally you're standing there with the books in your hands and that special smell in your nose. crying What joy!

I don't mind mangas being liscensed, since I prefer reading on paper, not on the screen. Ok, scans are nice and all, but not everyone can read those. I don't have broadband, can't use IRC or bittorent, so most of the things out there are out of my reach. I spend way too much time hunting http:s only to find they wi'll take four hours to download, and I can't do that. Then, if I finally have got it, they're often of worse quality than even american paper manga.

I don't mean to flame all scans, It's wonderful to read unliscensed manga (almost) for free, but it's not the best alternative for everyone. For me, manga is best on paper, and I'm prepared to spend some money on it.

Though, you americans have the right to complain. We're getting quite a lot new published manga in Sweden these days, with better printing quality for a far lower price. Why is manga so expensive in the states?

Because America is run by corporate pigs :3
I do like foreign printed manga a lot more than anything in the US. Ive seen and handled some Chinese and French manga, theyre pretty simple in what they deliver, the manga, in the language of the country theyre in. Non of the high gloss marketing shlock and then low grade, badly translated and westernized insides...not cool at all...
(I can't remember what manga I read at the bookstore, but they made some bizarre american pop culture referance that just jarred with the manga so bad, since I knew the manga when it was in Japanese, and it just didnt sit right with what the original was supposed to be)  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:40 pm
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun

I do like foreign printed manga a lot more than anything in the US. Ive seen and handled some Chinese and French manga, theyre pretty simple in what they deliver, the manga, in the language of the country theyre in. Non of the high gloss marketing shlock and then low grade, badly translated and westernized insides...not cool at all...
(I can't remember what manga I read at the bookstore, but they made some bizarre american pop culture referance that just jarred with the manga so bad, since I knew the manga when it was in Japanese, and it just didnt sit right with what the original was supposed to be)

Pigs? In sweden we have sheep. Sloooooow sheep.

I love french manga, I think I've mentioned that before. xd They have the best products I've seen in a western country so far. They stick to the original, at least on the surface. I can't really say anything about the translations.

Reading through this thread again... Shocking news! Mary Weather? O dear....
I was looking forward to getting CC on paper, but now maybe I'll wait a few years and get it in swedish...
Just as happy as I get when hear a manga has been liscensed, just as sad do i get when they do a bad job. cry  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:24 pm
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun

I love french manga, I think I've mentioned that before. xd They have the best products I've seen in a western country so far. They stick to the original, at least on the surface. I can't really say anything about the translations.

I was looking forward to getting CC on paper, but now maybe I'll wait a few years and get it in swedish...
Just as happy as I get when hear a manga has been liscensed, just as sad do i get when they do a bad job. cry

Maybe they thought her name was Marie Weather because everybody shortens her name to "Merry" Which I suppose can be mistaken for "Marie"...
But honestly...the changes Viz makes in their comics more often don't make any sense and are completely useless and silly...-_-  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:51 am
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun
Kamikaze Pedestrian
Sai-kun

Maybe they thought her name was Marie Weather because everybody shortens her name to "Merry" Which I suppose can be mistaken for "Marie"...
But honestly...the changes Viz makes in their comics more often don't make any sense and are completely useless and silly...-_-

Maybe... I don't know how translators work, or how much contact they have with the japanese publishers. If the manga-ka is able do give translators some guidance when it comes to names, or if the translators can ask for advise, should they need to.
Anyway, VIZ is bound to lose some of the hard-core fans by doing so, but probably they wont mind if it means they'll get ten new ones instead.  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff