Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Confession box. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 113 114 115 116 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nyanfood

Sparkly Lunatic

7,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:31 am
I know I was abused as a child, more mentally than physically because I was better at fighting than my parents sweatdrop but now that I'm better, I will attack people if they annoy me.... trying to get rid of it. But whenever I get paranoid, I pull some invisible nonexistent trigger. I blame that on Halo 2. Either that, or I go into a defense or sometimes offence stance >.< I'm SORRY!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:17 am
Cat-Whiskers
Niphredil Ithilmir
I sometimes act two-faced..

sigh... me too me too sweatdrop

me 2 except my evil face has more control over me...... sweatdrop  

h_NiNJA

Tokioka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:45 pm
Riyoku Sakimori
I know I was abused as a child, more mentally than physically because I was better at fighting than my parents sweatdrop but now that I'm better, I will attack people if they annoy me.... trying to get rid of it. But whenever I get paranoid, I pull some invisible nonexistent trigger. I blame that on Halo 2. Either that, or I go into a defense or sometimes offence stance >.< I'm SORRY!!!

Physical abuse eh? I know all about that... crying
I used to get hit with wooden spoons, bamboo canes, feather dusters with cane-like handles. It was a hard life, but then again I was a terribly bad seed. twisted
I can remember one time when I got lost with a friend in the countryside for about 5 hours. When I finally got back, my dad hit me with a bamboo cane repeatedly until it snapped.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:22 pm
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

I used to get hit with wooden spoons, bamboo canes, feather dusters with cane-like handles. It was a hard life, but then again I was a terribly bad seed. twisted
I can remember one time when I got lost with a friend in the countryside for about 5 hours. When I finally got back, my dad hit me with a bamboo cane repeatedly until it snapped.

hmm... i hope no one reports this or our parents are going to go to the big house. but... when i was little and i couldn't do my fractions or multiplications right (I wasn't very bright... i'm still not.) my mom would slap me and when i wouldn't stop crying she'd either lock me in the bath room or just lock me out side. and once in third grade i decided to be an artist and it was summer vacation and decided to color instead of practice writing like my mom wanted me to (honestly i don't remember her telling me to.) she started to hit me with a clothes hanger. and at one point i decided to hangout with my dad instead of my mom she told me that i was his daughter not hers. (which right now i can live with if they ever got a divorce) and if i was bad she'd make me stand at the wall. and i've been hit with many things... i just don't remember what sweatdrop my mom says that i was a horrible child. but really i don't remember... must've been all those blows to the head sweatdrop  

yalie5

Tokioka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:49 pm
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

hmm... i hope no one reports this or our parents are going to go to the big house. but... when i was little and i couldn't do my fractions or multiplications right (I wasn't very bright... i'm still not.) my mom would slap me and when i wouldn't stop crying she'd either lock me in the bath room or just lock me out side. and once in third grade i decided to be an artist and it was summer vacation and decided to color instead of practice writing like my mom wanted me to (honestly i don't remember her telling me to.) she started to hit me with a clothes hanger. and at one point i decided to hangout with my dad instead of my mom she told me that i was his daughter not hers. (which right now i can live with if they ever got a divorce) and if i was bad she'd make me stand at the wall. and i've been hit with many things... i just don't remember what sweatdrop my mom says that i was a horrible child. but really i don't remember... must've been all those blows to the head sweatdrop

lol, this is turning into the physical abuse thread sweatdrop
But seriously, hits to the head is a bit harsh isn't it? Not to mention - even dangerous. My parents only ever hit my bare a**, arms, legs and once my dad freaked and lashed out on my back but never the head. So do most chinese kids suffer this sort of abuse? Yet we never, ever report it though. It's probably because we know it's a typical factor of an asian upbringing and because we fear ending up in foster care.
The way I see it is that corporal punishment is a harsh, but effective way of controlling your children. I can look back at what I've suffered and realise that I deserved it, and I don't regret it either. Although it probably makes you loathe and fear your parents at the time, you know they're doing it for your own good. surprised  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:34 pm
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

But seriously, hits to the head is a bit harsh isn't it? Not to mention - even dangerous. My parents only ever hit my bare a**, arms, legs and once my dad freaked and lashed out on my back but never the head. So do most chinese kids suffer this sort of abuse? Yet we never, ever report it though. It's probably because we know it's a typical factor of an asian upbringing and because we fear ending up in foster care.
The way I see it is that corporal punishment is a harsh, but effective way of controlling your children. I can look back at what I've suffered and realise that I deserved it, and I don't regret it either. Although it probably makes you loathe and fear your parents at the time, you know they're doing it for your own good. surprised

yeah i think corporal punishment is a regular thing with asian parents. like my friend. she's only a couple of weeks younger than me and when she was 14 her parents hit her with an umbrella. in public eek and sometimes i do loathe my parents. still do sometimes. but i've mellowed out a bit. and i use to wish they'd get a divorce. doesn't matter to me either way anymore. and even if they do hit me. i don't care. i stopped caring like... a long time ago. and for my own good? well then why don't they ever discipline my brother? he does anything he likes and he rarely ever gets hit. plus he cries over every little thing which really irritates me and so i find that yelling and threats and blackmail work instead of hitting him though sometimes i do toss things at him by accident. not like it's my fault he can't catch stare anyways my parents have stopped hitting me because 1) i don't care and i just stare at them. i suppose it's kinda creepy/ 2) they says it's embrassing to have to hit me at my age. 3) well i've gotten bigger and a temper.
And if this is for my own good... well we'll see about that. though i have to say it's a great way to get your kids out of the house xd  

yalie5

Tokioka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:37 pm
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

yeah i think corporal punishment is a regular thing with asian parents. like my friend. she's only a couple of weeks younger than me and when she was 14 her parents hit her with an umbrella. in public eek and sometimes i do loathe my parents. still do sometimes. but i've mellowed out a bit. and i use to wish they'd get a divorce. doesn't matter to me either way anymore. and even if they do hit me. i don't care. i stopped caring like... a long time ago. and for my own good? well then why don't they ever discipline my brother? he does anything he likes and he rarely ever gets hit. plus he cries over every little thing which really irritates me and so i find that yelling and threats and blackmail work instead of hitting him though sometimes i do toss things at him by accident. not like it's my fault he can't catch stare anyways my parents have stopped hitting me because 1) i don't care and i just stare at them. i suppose it's kinda creepy/ 2) they says it's embrassing to have to hit me at my age. 3) well i've gotten bigger and a temper.
And if this is for my own good... well we'll see about that. though i have to say it's a great way to get your kids out of the house xd

My parents stopped hitting me quite a while back, for the same reasons that you've listed. Although there was another reason and that was because I stopped being bad and hanging around with the wrong crowd. I also began to excel intellectually by getting better grades, etc. It's true what you say about younger siblings though, like how they get softer treatment. My younger brother did something similar to what I did when I was young and his punishment was that he wasn't allowed to go to his friend's birthday party the following week. He wasn't even spanked! However I committed the same 'offence' when I was 9, and my mum beat me before I was locked in the garden shed where I slept til the next day. Worst of all, I was banned from TV for a whole year, which sucked, but did actually help improve my schoolwork. I don't think I was really hit in public, to keep things secret obviously, but I was always pulled by the ears until they were red. Yet another asian disciplinary tactic - when in public, yank on their ears! xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:05 pm
Corporal punishment... common or not is wrong in my opinion. I don't have respect for anyone who would hit someone substantially weaker or in a weaker position than they are. Fights among rivals is okay because you're on the same level. But hitting children or adolescents? That's just an expression of frustration that an adult should have the discipline to hold inside.

I've pushed and shoved strangers in shopping malls when I saw them attempting to hit or hitting their children. I've told them that I'd call the police on their negligent parenting. Once I had a group of bystanders start clapping.

Moral of the story: Hitting is bad, violence solves problems and confrontation is a way of education. twisted  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

yalie5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:53 pm
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

My parents stopped hitting me quite a while back, for the same reasons that you've listed. Although there was another reason and that was because I stopped being bad and hanging around with the wrong crowd. I also began to excel intellectually by getting better grades, etc. It's true what you say about younger siblings though, like how they get softer treatment. My younger brother did something similar to what I did when I was young and his punishment was that he wasn't allowed to go to his friend's birthday party the following week. He wasn't even spanked! However I committed the same 'offence' when I was 9, and my mum beat me before I was locked in the garden shed where I slept til the next day. Worst of all, I was banned from TV for a whole year, which sucked, but did actually help improve my schoolwork. I don't think I was really hit in public, to keep things secret obviously, but I was always pulled by the ears until they were red. Yet another asian disciplinary tactic - when in public, yank on their ears! xd

lol. funny thing is i never hung out with the wrong crowd. actually i never hung out in any crowd. And i've always gotten decent grades. and it pisses me off about younger siblings. my little brother is more afraid of me than my mom or my dad. (i raise hell when i want to. not very often.) I never was hit in public either... at least i didn't think so. my mom would just say really mean thing. and i mean really mean things. stuff that you would never expect coming out of a mother's mouth. of course she said it in chinese. and i'm not sure if i was ever yanked by the ears. though it's hard for me to remember. that was a long time ago. lol. but i do remember one time when my mom was really pissed at my brother that she was going to lock him outside but my dad was there and he was like "Are you crazy! You can't lock a child outside. what if somebody comes and takes him away?" and then he pulled my brother back in.
@tamcharles: that's not a very good moral. people my look at it as an excuse to hit kids. a better moral would be hit your kid in public and get humiliated by tamcharles xp  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:06 pm
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

lol. funny thing is i never hung out with the wrong crowd. actually i never hung out in any crowd. And i've always gotten decent grades. and it pisses me off about younger siblings. my little brother is more afraid of me than my mom or my dad. (i raise hell when i want to. not very often.) I never was hit in public either... at least i didn't think so. my mom would just say really mean thing. and i mean really mean things. stuff that you would never expect coming out of a mother's mouth. of course she said it in chinese. and i'm not sure if i was ever yanked by the ears. though it's hard for me to remember. that was a long time ago. lol. but i do remember one time when my mom was really pissed at my brother that she was going to lock him outside but my dad was there and he was like "Are you crazy! You can't lock a child outside. what if somebody comes and takes him away?" and then he pulled my brother back in.
@tamcharles: that's not a very good moral. people my look at it as an excuse to hit kids. a better moral would be hit your kid in public and get humiliated by tamcharles xp

Damn, my mum's just the same! She used to just go on and on and on and on.... sad It was always the same, hurtful stuff she said as well (in chinese). And if I closed my bedroom door or walked away, she'd either open the door or follow me, always yakking on and on. I always wanted to shout back at her and if I mumbled something under my breath, she'd be all over me like a demon. "What did you just say!!? Well!? Nothing, eh? Cos if you'd said something you'd be getting a few more slaps!" That was one of the rules, no talking back, because they're your parents so you can't. But whenever she told me this, I just thought hey, this is England, not Vietnam. All the other kids talk back to their parents but I wasn't allowed to even defend myself verbally. Yup, my childhood was not great. sad

@tamcharles: How were you punished then? Grounding? I don't think my parents even know the meaning of 'grounding' lol. And I don't think it would've worked on me anyways. It's that same predicament that all parents have to face - the carrot or the stick. You've just got to accept that many traditional parents choose the stick as they are familiar with its results - being beaten until you've learned your lesson.  

Tokioka

yalie5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:03 pm
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

Damn, my mum's just the same! She used to just go on and on and on and on.... sad It was always the same, hurtful stuff she said as well (in chinese). And if I closed my bedroom door or walked away, she'd either open the door or follow me, always yakking on and on. I always wanted to shout back at her and if I mumbled something under my breath, she'd be all over me like a demon. "What did you just say!!? Well!? Nothing, eh? Cos if you'd said something you'd be getting a few more slaps!" That was one of the rules, no talking back, because they're your parents so you can't. But whenever she told me this, I just thought hey, this is England, not Vietnam. All the other kids talk back to their parents but I wasn't allowed to even defend myself verbally. Yup, my childhood was not great. sad

@tamcharles: How were you punished then? Grounding? I don't think my parents even know the meaning of 'grounding' lol. And I don't think it would've worked on me anyways. It's that same predicament that all parents have to face - the carrot or the stick. You've just got to accept that many traditional parents choose the stick as they are familiar with its results - being beaten until you've learned your lesson.

Yeah my mother still goes on like that. And she does it to my dad. Let's see traits I learned from my mother. glare and roll my eyes and have a short temper. traits i got from my dad, be silent and clench my teeth. I rarely talk back. When I get really mad and I don't want to say something I regret I clench my teeth. My mother knows when I'm doing that. And she yells at me for that. she's like "How dare you clench you teeth at your father. " Well if I didn't then I'm going to spew forth a ton of s**t. And sometimes I lose my patience and my tone of voice is rude. It's not like I mean it. It just comes out that way. And My mother's been using hurtful stuff since before I could speak english so by the time i was in 6th grade it was the usual. Btw. According to Confucious which is what most chinese parenting abide by childrent are suppose to obey their parents every command and is pretty much the parents slaves. It's like my dad says. "What did we have you for?" Now that really pisses me off but I never answer. I look out the window and fume. It's times like that where my dad really pisses me off. And my mom pisses me off when she's yelling at me because i'm trying to help and apparantly getting in her way. well maybe is she let me help her and not shove me out of her way i wouldn't be getting in her way. scream sorry.... i need to go rant some where.
@tamcharles: yeah. From what you write it's obvious you're no angel. How did your parents punish you? time-out? or sending you to boot camp?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:51 am
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

Yeah my mother still goes on like that. And she does it to my dad. Let's see traits I learned from my mother. glare and roll my eyes and have a short temper. traits i got from my dad, be silent and clench my teeth. I rarely talk back. When I get really mad and I don't want to say something I regret I clench my teeth. My mother knows when I'm doing that. And she yells at me for that. she's like "How dare you clench you teeth at your father. " Well if I didn't then I'm going to spew forth a ton of s**t. And sometimes I lose my patience and my tone of voice is rude. It's not like I mean it. It just comes out that way. And My mother's been using hurtful stuff since before I could speak english so by the time i was in 6th grade it was the usual. Btw. According to Confucious which is what most chinese parenting abide by childrent are suppose to obey their parents every command and is pretty much the parents slaves. It's like my dad says. "What did we have you for?" Now that really pisses me off but I never answer. I look out the window and fume. It's times like that where my dad really pisses me off. And my mom pisses me off when she's yelling at me because i'm trying to help and apparantly getting in her way. well maybe is she let me help her and not shove me out of her way i wouldn't be getting in her way. scream sorry.... i need to go rant some where.
@tamcharles: yeah. From what you write it's obvious you're no angel. How did your parents punish you? time-out? or sending you to boot camp?
I am no angel. I was disciplined not through physical means but rather through psychological and emotional methods. I always had an immense fear of the dark as a child, likewise with a fear of heights. My parents saw it as a perfect way to hit two birds with one stone (discipline a bad kid and help him get over his fears). End result: It worked liked a charm.  

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200

Tokioka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:56 pm
tamcharles
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

I am no angel. I was disciplined not through physical means but rather through psychological and emotional methods. I always had an immense fear of the dark as a child, likewise with a fear of heights. My parents saw it as a perfect way to hit two birds with one stone (discipline a bad kid and help him get over his fears). End result: It worked liked a charm.

Psychological trauma eh? I guess it would probably work. But what if a child overcame their fears? Wouldn't they just continue to be disobedient as this punishment didn't work anymore?

@yalie: Do you find your mum did most of the smacking whilst your dad just stood to the side? That's how it was with me most of the time. I think that in most cases, the mother predominantly feels that it is more her duty to discipline the children rather than the father's duty.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:26 pm
Tokioka
tamcharles
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
yalie5
Tokioka
Riyoku Sakimori

Psychological trauma eh? I guess it would probably work. But what if a child overcame their fears? Wouldn't they just continue to be disobedient as this punishment didn't work anymore?

@yalie: Do you find your mum did most of the smacking whilst your dad just stood to the side? That's how it was with me most of the time. I think that in most cases, the mother predominantly feels that it is more her duty to discipline the children rather than the father's duty.

by the time the child gets over the fear they've already been disciplined to an extent where being bad doesn't happen that often. and fears take time to get over and within that time they incorporate obedience into the childs mind. xd
.hey tamcharles your parents were pretty smart.
Hmm... I find that my dad was not there often when my mom hit me. he was there once or twice. i do remember this one time my mother tried to force me into this dress and I was throwing a ... fuss and she lost her temper and my dad was there. I agree with you though I think the mother feels more like it's her duty to make sure her kids don't go off in the wrong direction because i mean it's her kid and the father too but dad's are soft according to some of my relatives. my mom once yelled at my dad for indulging on my brother. she said "if your son told you to screw off your head and use it for a basketball you probably would." she seems to forget that she spoils him too.  

yalie5

tamcharles

Profitable Businessman

9,325 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Overstocked 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:03 am
yalie5

by the time the child gets over the fear they've already been disciplined to an extent where being bad doesn't happen that often. and fears take time to get over and within that time they incorporate obedience into the childs mind. xd .hey tamcharles your parents were pretty smart.
Hmm... I find that my dad was not there often when my mom hit me. he was there once or twice. i do remember this one time my mother tried to force me into this dress and I was throwing a ... fuss and she lost her temper and my dad was there. I agree with you though I think the mother feels more like it's her duty to make sure her kids don't go off in the wrong direction because i mean it's her kid and the father too but dad's are soft according to some of my relatives. my mom once yelled at my dad for indulging on my brother. she said "if your son told you to screw off your head and use it for a basketball you probably would." she seems to forget that she spoils him too.

I think you were right on the ball with your theory. There came a point near the end of the whole punishment thing where I learned to take a "power nap" when I was shoved in the dark for doing whatever. My parents would open up the door and see that my eyes were red (from sleeping, not crying -- but they didn't need to know that) twisted . Win, win situation -- I didn't want to be in there, it sucked even if you could nap and they felt that I learned my lesson.

I've since told them my little secret... they didn't seem as amused as I was. Bwahahah. But now I notice that my cat does the same thing. We'll come home from an outing and she'll meow with the most muffled voice. At first we thought she was meowing the whole time, but I stayed home once and realized that all she did was sleep the whole time.

Pets are like their masters. Evil to the core. twisted

By little story aside, many parents do live vicariously through their children and in doing so, the children are ambassadors that represent them to the public. I would hate to be the parent with the disobedient kid, at the same time, I wouldn't want to have them venting on Gaiaonline about how cruel I am either.

It's a double-edged sword. Parenting isn't easy, by the time it becomes easy, you're a grand-parent.

So I propose mandatory castration for everyone! *cheers* xd blaugh  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 113 114 115 116 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces