Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
~*Official Anime/Manga/Etc. Thread.*~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Japanese Entertainment Media!
  I like it.
  I love it.
  I want some more of it.
  I try so hard, I can't rise above it.
  Dont know what it is 'bout that little gals lovin,
  But I like it, I love it, I want some more of it.
View Results

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:22 pm
PickleBoy
"Ne?" Says dathu. *mocks*

Saying that you love anime, I suppose, just helps you to form a sort of group that you can be classified in. Such as calling yourself an atheist. Just because you don't believe in god, doesn't mean that you have the same structure life style as me, does it? (And if it does, dude, woah, scary)

But saying you love anime means that you like the art form. American art tends to be more realistic looking that Japanime art. Or at least it used to, till everyone started drawing large breasted, floofy haired, big eyed people. Yes, people. razz

I like Japanese dramas and Korean dramas, but that usually isn't instilled with the idea of me liking anime. Anime... Animation. Japanese animation. Of massive proportions. OH MY GODS LOOK! BACON!

Tea in the Boston harbor? WHAT?!

I agree with your assumption that love of anime is part-n-parcel with ascribing to a peer group. And, as far as I'm concerned, my allegiences in little way dictate my interests - like you said, atheism doesn't structure my life (else the arguement that atheism is a religion would take some ground).

Bacon?!! Where??? s**t! Give it!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:27 pm
hachimitsugirl
Dathu
hachimitsugirl
This is what bothers me about anime fans. And feel free to defend yourself on this front.

Anime is not a genre. Anime, much like American live television, is meant for a wide range of ages and tastes. Saying, "I like anime" is like saying, "I like tv." It's just a format that says nothing whatsoever about the content or intent of the program.

I've seen anime that I love. I've also seen Danish drama that I love. But I wouldn't go around saying I love Danish dramas - and that's way more specific an example than anime!

Saying, "I like anime" doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Please help me out on this.

I can somewhat agree with you on that since Anime covers a wide variety of genres: drama, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc. However, I do think there are people out there who just like Anime, as in, if you had the same story, characters, etc, they wouldn't like it if it were filmed, but write it in Japanese and animate it, and they'll love it. So I agree that just saying you like anime is very vague since anime is very varietous (is that a word?), but at the same time, I think there are people out there that just love anything from Japan that's animated. Ne?

Hmm. I understand your point. However, I have a major quibble with it:
Anyone who would not enjoy an anime were it filmed in live action seems very disingenuous. If the story is good, if it's well directed, etc. why wouldn't their enjoyment carry over? I mean, animation can be so well done but to love something for only the animation seems dreadfully superficial.

I'm beginning to think my view & tastes regarding media are both egalitarian and discriminating to a dizzying degree. redface

Ah, but I have met people that "superficial," so your "quibble" is with dose people and not with my point. Muaha, ne?

Oh, and PickleBoy, how dar j00 ma fun of muh Jyapanees! Get bak in da kitshin and mak me sum Pai!
scream  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:32 pm
Dathu
hachimitsugirl
Dathu
hachimitsugirl
This is what bothers me about anime fans. And feel free to defend yourself on this front.

Anime is not a genre. Anime, much like American live television, is meant for a wide range of ages and tastes. Saying, "I like anime" is like saying, "I like tv." It's just a format that says nothing whatsoever about the content or intent of the program.

I've seen anime that I love. I've also seen Danish drama that I love. But I wouldn't go around saying I love Danish dramas - and that's way more specific an example than anime!

Saying, "I like anime" doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

Please help me out on this.

I can somewhat agree with you on that since Anime covers a wide variety of genres: drama, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc. However, I do think there are people out there who just like Anime, as in, if you had the same story, characters, etc, they wouldn't like it if it were filmed, but write it in Japanese and animate it, and they'll love it. So I agree that just saying you like anime is very vague since anime is very varietous (is that a word?), but at the same time, I think there are people out there that just love anything from Japan that's animated. Ne?

Hmm. I understand your point. However, I have a major quibble with it:
Anyone who would not enjoy an anime were it filmed in live action seems very disingenuous. If the story is good, if it's well directed, etc. why wouldn't their enjoyment carry over? I mean, animation can be so well done but to love something for only the animation seems dreadfully superficial.

I'm beginning to think my view & tastes regarding media are both egalitarian and discriminating to a dizzying degree. redface

Ah, but I have met people that "superficial," so your "quibble" is with dose people and not with my point. Muaha, ne?

Oh, and PickleBoy, how dar j00 ma fun of muh Jyapanees! Get bak in da kitshin and mak me sum Pai!
scream

Oh, no, I wouldn't quibble with your point. It's very a propos. My quibble is most definitely with those people of which we were both talking s**t about. Totally.

PickleBoy made fun of your Japanese? Have you taken classes? I got my minor in it, by the by.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:17 pm
hachimitsugirl
Oh, no, I wouldn't quibble with your point. It's very a propos. My quibble is most definitely with those people of which we were both talking s**t about. Totally.

PickleBoy made fun of your Japanese? Have you taken classes? I got my minor in it, by the by.

Yuuup. 僕の専攻は日本語だ。でも、上手ない。どこで習うか?  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:31 pm
Dathu
hachimitsugirl

Yuuup. 僕の専攻は日本語だ。でも、上手ない。どこで習うか?

Memphis Daigaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:55 pm
Saying a general term such as "I like Anime." Is easier and less extansive then saying "I like Shojo Anime, Drama Anime, Fantasy Anime, Shonen Anime, Romance Anime, and a bit of Yoi anime."

What Irks me is the people who say "I love anime!"
and you ask "Which anime do you like?"
They say "Dragon Ball Z!" (Or now "Naruto!")
And you ask "Okay, so what eles?"
They stare blankly at you for a long time and dumbly ask "There are others?"

The generalization of the phrase is not the problem.

Oh and if the live action was done well and not a mockery with little thought I might enjoy it. I love the Death note movie, NANA movie, and NANA2 movie. All done with real LIVE people. The sailor moon live action on the other hand was so bad it made the anime look well done and that take ALOT.  

banryuu

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:35 pm
banryuu
Saying a general term such as "I like Anime." Is easier and less extansive then saying "I like Shojo Anime, Drama Anime, Fantasy Anime, Shonen Anime, Romance Anime, and a bit of Yoi anime."

The thing is that I do like Naruto and Bleach and *insert overused anime*.
I'm into the shounen manga and whenever I tell this to people they come back and say:
"NARUTARD!"

I know Naruto's somewhat of a newbie anime but there are plenty of intellegent fans out there. Not every Naruto fan has the spelling ablitys of a 2nd grader.

I've recently gotten into the more shojo-ish manga like Chobits.....CLAMP has become life recently.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:53 am
cup_noodles
banryuu

The thing is that I do like Naruto and Bleach and *insert overused anime*.
I'm into the shounen manga and whenever I tell this to people they come back and say:
"NARUTARD!"

I know Naruto's somewhat of a newbie anime but there are plenty of intellegent fans out there. Not every Naruto fan has the spelling ablitys of a 2nd grader.

I've recently gotten into the more shojo-ish manga like Chobits.....CLAMP has become life recently.

True I have friends that are huge fans of Naruto, Bleach, and Inuyasha. Its the people that think that is the world of anime that bother me. Hell my avy is named and desined after an Inuyasha Character. I like Bleach, And though I got bored of Naruto I enjoy it after Tsunade joined.

My self I love Saiyuki sadly it is becomeing more mainstream. I'm just happy Adult swim hasn't started butchering it... yet.

Amine is a very expencive habbit. my cousin stated "Anime is my anti- drug! After buying all the new manga and DvDs I wouldn't have the money for any other addiction."  

banryuu

banryuu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:57 am
Foamy at a Con

Must watch for all anime fans and people that go to cons.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:25 am
banryuu
Foamy at a Con

Oh god...
That actually makes sense!

cup_noodles

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:40 pm
banryuu
Foamy at a Con

That was funny! rofl Boob of death xd  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:33 pm
This costume is iching me.

Greatest cosplay phrase of all times. I think mine was "Please tell me my boob was in the dress durring the picture. After the picture is fair game."

You people are dirty. *hands out pickachu shaped soaps*  

banryuu

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:34 pm
So that's the freaky a** squirel I see all over the internet. I couldn't pay much attention to him since rediculously circuler boobs were ungulating like they were getting paid to. Weird.

Anyway, I went to one con, and got in one fight. No more cons for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:50 am
You know you like it. "What am I suposed to do beat people with my boob?"
I smother people in mine.... DDDs are good for that.....

You got into a con fight eek About what? Did someone steal your pokeman cards?  

banryuu

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:08 pm
banryuu
You know you like it. "What am I suposed to do beat people with my boob?"
I smother people in mine.... DDDs are good for that.....

You got into a con fight eek About what? Did someone steal your pokeman cards?

Whoa! Do you really have DDDs???  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces