Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 698 699 700 701 702 703 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Yeah, for the most part. However, Legend of Zelda doesn't have a leveling system, but it's still classified as an RPG.

...And equally classified as Action-Adventure.

EDIT: But like I said, this is my conclusion, and for argument's sake, I bear you classifying it as such, but I will never acknowledge it as so...Sorry...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 pm
Any game where you can name your character, I classify as an RPG. Some RPGs don't let you name your character, they're still RPGs. But if you CAN name them, then you know for sure it's an RPG.  

Biohazard EXTREME

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:48 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Any game where you can name your character, I classify as an RPG. Some RPGs don't let you name your character, they're still RPGs. But if you CAN name them, then you know for sure it's an RPG.

Yes.....

But I don't care if you can give Link a different name. He's still Link. Maybe it would be different if it were a game where the character didn't have a set name what-so-ever...Like Runsescape. But in the entire Zelda chronology, the main hero has always been referred to as Link in the storyline, so to me, it isn't an RPG.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:17 pm
Aya Brea is still Aya Brea, does that mean that Parasite Eve 1 is not an RPG?

EDIT: But the line in genres can be fuzzy.
I mean, people b***h about classic RE games not having precision aiming. But they just don't understand that just because you have some sort of shooting mechanics, does not make the game a shooter. I mean, you can have Mario eat a flower and shoot fireballs. Does that make Mario a shooter? No. Just because RE characters have guns does not make Resident Evil (the good ones) a shooter. Survival Horror is its own genre. And yes, at the time, they weren't creative enough, or maybe because of limited hardware capabilities, but at the time, shooting (or slashing, I guess) was the only way to deal with enemies. And you have to have SOME kind of a defense mechanism in the game. But Survival Horror isn't about shooting. It's about puzzles, atmosphere, scares... Does Survival Horror fall into the broader category of Action Adventure? Sure, but that does not make it a shooter.
That's why I don't like the term Action Adventure, it's such a vague genre. It can include just about everything that's not sports, racing or puzzle games. So I don't bother using that term at all. You have action RPGs, Platformers, Shooters, etc. You can have... Platformer Shooters like Ratchet and Clank, or you could have like, Stealth Action, or whatever. There are lots of subcategories, so I hate using the term Action Adventure, because just about everything that has characters and involves, even so much as walking and jumping, can be classified as an Action Adventure game.  

Biohazard EXTREME

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:52 am
The Labyrinthian
Canas Renvall
I know how you feel, Bio. I'm totally wiped out right now. In fact, I'm going to bed. Waking up at 6:30 for school every morning isn't doing me any good. cry

So before I go, SaintChaos, please try to refrain from double...triple...quadruple-posting. Thanks! 3nodding

And with that, off to Dreamland! (My dreams have been weird as ******** lately, by the way. xd )

That's why I love having afternoon/evening classes.

@SaintChaos: Yeah, we held a big discussion here as to what determines an RPG in the sense that most people think of it as, and I came to the conclusion that the only necessary, qualifying factor is a leveling system. That's it.

no offense but considering that this is a 700 page thread and I'm still fairly new to the guild, I didn't think that big of a deal to respond to 3-4 quotes I found very intriguing from the last two pages.

And thanks Bio for getting to my question. I've been pretty exhausted myself with some really bad crap that went on a couple of days ago and I finished finals from the weekend with all the graphic design projects we've been working on.

[Edit] Sorry for got to add my other thought. Okay Penumbra...the Penumbra series is another Horror Survival Series. It has three games out, but unfortunately the game in the series I got from it I thought was the FIRST of the series, but it ended up being the second one. so 1 and 3 I haven't played yet.

Beginning with the mechanics of the game, what makes this game so unique is that it takes physics in the game a level up. If you need to drag something you literally click with the mouse on an object, hold the click down and literally drag your mouse back. Its very very clever. Its like Silent Hill in the sense that the atmosphere, sounds, and lighting are very creepy as well as the one creature you have to deal with in the game. I can't give too much away about it because itll spoil the story. But you don't have to do any fighting, its more classic survival where you have to find a way to get away from your enemy. They even add nuances with your character. For instance if he's dizzy with a headache, the affects of the vision on your screen will move in and out slightly with showing some red color on the corners of the screen to give it the sense of that he's in pain. Its really damn cool. Its not expensive to buy either, you might want to give it a try. I think you would enjoy it. Its all puzzle solving based so it really makes you think. I love games that make you think. http://www.penumbragame.com/ageGate.php

[Double Edit] Oh good. I went to their website and they DO have a demo so definitely give it a go and see what you think of it. The narrative in the game I warn is a tiny bit cheesy, but its still interesting nonetheless.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 am
Ohh, Penumbra is a PC game huh? I'm not really a PC gamer. Heck, I don't even have a working computer of my own right now. So that's a no go, at least for a while. Hopefully, before the end of the year, I'll be able to get myself a nice Vaio laptop or something of the sort.  

Biohazard EXTREME

MadamTarantula

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 am
Saint, if you want to reply to numerous comments, you can just post "@(user name)" for each person. 3nodding

BTW, that Penumbra game looks interesting. It's sounds like a horror version of Myst or something.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:19 am
Sony VAIO laptop are cheap nowadays. Talking about Resident Evil in Japan there is Resident Evil 2.5 in PS1, with Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield. Because I don't understand Japanese I can't play it but I heard there are different skills and zombies are more realistic (smash windows and climb over or if you don't close the door soon they can go through). Wish it got translated in English, damn Japanese.  

nocturne006

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:32 am
Erm... There is no Resident Evil 2.5. Unless it's a fan project, but Capcom has never released anything of the sort. The only game other than RE2 that has Leon and Claire in it is Darkside Chronicles, and that's just a butchered rail shooter version of RE2.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 am
AngelaAshford
Saint, if you want to reply to numerous comments, you can just post "@(user name)" for each person. 3nodding

BTW, that Penumbra game looks interesting. It's sounds like a horror version of Myst or something.

Yeah basically, only not as complicated of puzzles.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:55 am
So, I just finished the Japanese demo for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on PSP. And I gotta say, I'm very impressed. I mean, I expected no less, but still. It kicks a** so far. I was a bit disappointed that the cutscenes are delivered the same way as they were in Portable Ops. I mean, you gotta work with your limitations, but still. It would be nice to see a full 3D animated Metal Gear Solid style cutscene on the PSP just once. But then, it also would be nice to understand Japanese, since I didn't understand a word of that damn cutscene. Although I think one of the characters in the cutscene was none other than... Well, let's just say the guy whose name rhymes with "b*****d Filler". But still, the production quality is top notch, and the graphics jump from Portable Ops to this is phenomenal. Makes me wonder why Portable Ops didn't look like this in the first place.
The boss battle was fun, too. It was a bit different from your average MGS boss battle, but it was awesome. I'm glad they're expanding the ideas in the way you beat certain bosses.
All in all very awesome. Makes me wish the game came out sooner than 2010.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:17 am
Biohazard EXTREME
Aya Brea is still Aya Brea, does that mean that Parasite Eve 1 is not an RPG?

EDIT: But the line in genres can be fuzzy.
I mean, people b***h about classic RE games not having precision aiming. But they just don't understand that just because you have some sort of shooting mechanics, does not make the game a shooter. I mean, you can have Mario eat a flower and shoot fireballs. Does that make Mario a shooter? No. Just because RE characters have guns does not make Resident Evil (the good ones) a shooter. Survival Horror is its own genre. And yes, at the time, they weren't creative enough, or maybe because of limited hardware capabilities, but at the time, shooting (or slashing, I guess) was the only way to deal with enemies. And you have to have SOME kind of a defense mechanism in the game. But Survival Horror isn't about shooting. It's about puzzles, atmosphere, scares... Does Survival Horror fall into the broader category of Action Adventure? Sure, but that does not make it a shooter.
That's why I don't like the term Action Adventure, it's such a vague genre.
It can include just about everything that's not sports, racing or puzzle
games. So I don't bother using that term at all. You have action RPGs, Platformers, Shooters, etc. You can have... Platformer Shooters like Ratchet and Clank, or you could have like, Stealth Action, or whatever. There are lots of subcategories, so I hate using the term Action Adventure, because just about everything that has characters and involves, even so much as walking and jumping, can be classified as an Action Adventure game.

Dammit. I should have known you were going to play that angle again.

But yes, I agree, it's sometimes hard to tell what category a game should fall into, so here's my last cents on the topic:

In the traditional sense, a RPG is a game where you play a role. I totally agree with that aspect. Well, you sort of have to, since that's what role playing means ha ha. That being said, there are numerous games out there that are labeled as an RPG where you don't name your character, or don't take on a role specifically yours. If that's the case, then you have to look at what binds those games together, and, like I said before, I see there is one common factor between those games: A leveling system. So, I have to come to the conclusion that games that have leveling systems are considered to be RPGs as well.

Now, here's my point between The Legend of Zelda and Parasite Eve. I don't consider any of those games a RPG in the traditional sense for the fact that even though you can name the character, they're still called by thier set name in regards to the real storyline...Why else what the character of Aya Brea be called that in the instruction manual, guide books, official sysnopses...

So, if that's so, none of those games should be an RPG right? But there's one thing that Parasite Eve has that The Legend of Zelda (OTHER than The Adventure of Link, which I DO consider an RPG) does not, which is the one thing that ties the term together in modern day consideration, and that is a leveling system.

And that's how I view the term of RPG.

And since I don't consider The Legend of Zelda an RPG, even though it's a vague term, then Action-Adventure is the most fitting category for it.

On another note, I get my PS3 tomorrow...Wooh! Does anybody wanna add me? Well, I don't even know how that works yet...Can't wait!  

King of Paradise

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't level up in Diablo, do you? It's still an RPG...

I pretty much classify an RPG if it has a town/dungeon system. You go to towns to talk to people and get quests. You go to dungeons to kill enemies.
Pretty much every game that's classified as an RPG, such as Final Fantasy, Diablo, Fallout, they all have this factor. Zelda does too, you have towns like Kakariko Village, where you can talk to people, and some of them will give you quests. Then you have your dungeons (which don't have to be actual dungeons) which you explore and kill enemies in.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:04 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't level up in Diablo, do you? It's still an RPG...

I pretty much classify an RPG if it has a town/dungeon system. You go to towns to talk to people and get quests. You go to dungeons to kill enemies.
Pretty much every game that's classified as an RPG, such as Final Fantasy, Diablo, Fallout, they all have this factor. Zelda does too, you have towns like Kakariko Village, where you can talk to people, and some of them will give you quests. Then you have your dungeons (which don't have to be actual dungeons) which you explore and kill enemies in.

Yes, because it's an RPG in the traditional sense. Unlike Link, who has a name and gender, your character has no set name, gender, and no set role. So you choose if you want your character to be a rogue, warrior, ect. And I dunno, make up a name in your head for him/her...Where as Link has a set name, is a male, and since he can't choose classes, has a set role...So you aren't really getting involved in the roleplaying there, unlike Diablo's D&D like setup. Which is why I consider games like Diablo similar to WoW and D&D: RPGs in the traditional sense...Where the character really is yours, unlike Cloud and Aya...

There are a lot of games with a town/dungeon setup that are not considered to be RPGs...Like my favorite game of all time, Mystical Ninja starring Goemon...  

King of Paradise

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:59 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't RPG's also defined by the mechanic of, what you do affects the world your character plays in?  
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 698 699 700 701 702 703 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games