Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Back to Guilds

The only guild on Gaia where hardcore Resident Evil fans can come and experience complete safe haven. Welcome! 

Tags: Resident Evil, Biohazard, Raccoon City, T-Virus, Umbrella 

Reply ::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::
::Grill 13 Restaurant:: NEW Pictures on the Menu! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 703 704 705 706 707 708 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:34 am

I don't understand the dislike of RE being mainstream. What's the big deal? Elaborate heart
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:16 am

Well, Mainstream games have the tendency to become really cookie cutter. I mean, look at Halo. Halo 1 was like, this cool new thing, but Halo 2 and 3 were just more of the same.
Resident Evil, too. It used to be the ruler of Survival Horror, now it's neither survival nor horror, it's just another shooter. Like Gears of War. And the sad thing is, they're both seeping into each other. The guys who made Gears said, "We were largely influenced by RE4." and then The guys at RE5 are saying, "It was influenced by Gears of War."
The truth is, mainstream gamers don't want real horror. Yes, they might want zombies, mutants, aliens, what have you. But they don't want puzzles, they don't want quiet atmospheric Silent Hillish moments, they want to run around and shoot stuff while drinking beer with their buddies. And that's not what Survival Horror is about.

Not that I really give a crap anymore. I've long given up on Resident Evil, so I guess if they want to make a pure mercenaries game like Canas suggested, they can for all I care. I wouldn't even bother checking out the trailers.

Biohazard EXTREME

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:02 am

Canas, I think that little Mercenaries pipe dream game of yours would be quite awesome, especially if you could be any character (including Barry wink ). Especially, especially if you could pick the enemy sets. I think the RE4/RE5-style gameplay could work quite well with zombies as long as there were A LOT, and there were plenty of Lickers, Hunters, Chimera, Cerberus, Bandersnatches, Giant Spiders and s**t tossed into the mix. And instead of having lame-a** Leatherface-wannabe chainsaw dudes as bosses, you got Tyrant or Mr. X or Nemesis stalking your a** (specifically Nemesis, when he mutates into a new form every time you down his a**). On Raccoon City streets? That would be ********, I don't give a s**t what Bio says.

Oh, and Resident Evil has always been mainstream. It was never cult. Same goes for Mortal Kombat. And until RE4, every Resident Evil sequel had always been pretty much more of the same, and we weren't complaining, were we? No. We liked it that way. And while I agree that RE is no longer Survival Horror, RE has always had quite a bit of action (especially RE3).
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:28 am

I guess we know what happens when a Moderator gets infected with the T-Virus...

User Image

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100

Vankala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:30 am

I still think that pick is awesome. XD I need to do that with one of my photos.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:09 am

NotteRequiem

User Image

That's beyond awesome. You should, like, go outside on a normal day in that makeup and see if it's convincing enough to make people believe a zombie outbreak is happening. xd

King of Paradise

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Well, Mainstream games have the tendency to become really cookie cutter. I mean, look at Halo. Halo 1 was like, this cool new thing, but Halo 2 and 3 were just more of the same.
Resident Evil, too. It used to be the ruler of Survival Horror, now it's neither survival nor horror, it's just another shooter. Like Gears of War. And the sad thing is, they're both seeping into each other. The guys who made Gears said, "We were largely influenced by RE4." and then The guys at RE5 are saying, "It was influenced by Gears of War."
The truth is, mainstream gamers don't want real horror. Yes, they might want zombies, mutants, aliens, what have you. But they don't want puzzles, they don't want quiet atmospheric Silent Hillish moments, they want to run around and shoot stuff while drinking beer with their buddies. And that's not what Survival Horror is about.

Not that I really give a crap anymore. I've long given up on Resident Evil, so I guess if they want to make a pure mercenaries game like Canas suggested, they can for all I care. I wouldn't even bother checking out the trailers.

But this is another thing that's based on opinion. I'm a huge Halo fan and I love 2 and 3 just as much as 1. I mean Halo 2 and 3 weren't "just another Halo" game. Its a continuation of the story. I mean gotta find out what happens. Gears of War I also personally loved though its had more of a simple plot, but still awesome gameplay in my opinion. RE I have to admit has strayed away from that classic survival horror, but I still love the series regardless and it still manages to sell thousands to even millions of copies so that says something to me.

Quote:
mainstream gamers don't want real horror. Yes, they might want zombies, mutants, aliens, what have you. But they don't want puzzles, they don't want quiet atmospheric Silent Hillish moments, they want to run around and shoot stuff while drinking beer with their buddies.

again dude, its all opinion based. and that sounds more like a guy thing. I don't know if to consider myself a mainstream gamer or not, but its just some stupid label just like "true fan" that is opinion based yet AGAIN. Not everyone prefers just running and shooting. I prefer a mix of everything and I didn't like SH right away either. It grew on me, but I've always loved horror, but I'm also into other things so I just like everything as a whole. Except sports games. I just can't stand them. They bore the hell out of me and strategy games I don't have the patience for. In fact....

The main reason that most gamers prefer instant shooting and action is because its more realistic and its "instant". For instance its not realistic to have three characters take one turn at a time to cast a spell while the boss waits to get hit with it. Final Fantasy gameplay bores me to death. RE 1-3 is also a bit too slow for my taste for gameplay because it gets boring having to constantly run around the SAME DAMN areas, picking up s**t, only to run around to the same damn areas to solve the puzzles with the same s**t you just picked up. SH is the same sort of thing, but I got into SH way before RE came into the picture so I can tolerate it more and I didn't think it was as stupid at the time. Besides you can still have an action and or horror game that makes you think and not bore you to death with time consumption. Soul Reaver had plenty of that. Gameplay wasn't fantastic, but its action based and plenty of puzzles to solve. That's what I loved about RE 4 because they took it out of that slow mo crap of the constant run around to the same places, and basically had it to where you solved the area right then and there and MOVED ON to another area.

I don't care how "sacred" the first RE games are. It doesn't matter to me how good of a story it is. If I can't get into the gameplay then I have no interest to play it more than once. I'll play it through once, but most likely never again. Like I said before, I love games, but I'm very picky on how they're designed too.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Wait, I'm confused. Are you guys saying MK isn't mainstream?

Resident Evil going mainstream has bothered me somewhat. It hurts going up to people at school who are talking about The Darkside Chronicles and finding out they have no idea about the older games. It saddens me that the series will most likely never be the same. What hurts me the most is that the genre may never be the same. Like Bio said, these days games have to be fast paced in order to catch interest. Look at Alan Wake, doesn't look very scary but it looks fast and fun; it's getting a lot of attention for it. I consider myself a devoted fan to RE and a true fan to Silent Hill. The gameplay wasn't always the best, but it had its charms. To me RE wasn't really about the gameplay, Saint, but the atmosphere. I fear there may never be another game with such atmosphere and scares that the original SH and RE games packed.

Mr. Kennedy

Thee Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:17 pm

Biohazard EXTREME
Holy Sonygasm, Batman! The new PS Network Update is like, PSP heaven. Thank god for the PSP Go, vast majority of PSP titles that were ever worth getting is available as Downloads. I'm like a kid in a game store, only I'm at home!

I thought you were for actual solid, tangible copies of videogames with resale value, Bio? Personally, I'm with you there. I mean, look at Netflix. You don't even have leave the house anymore to rent a movie. Remember what renting a movie used to be like? You would drive with your friends or significant other to the ******** video store. There would be people there and all these aisles and aisles full of movies, and you'd all look around together, read the back of the cases, debate on which movie you should rent, and sometimes you'd get recommendation from employees or friendly customers. Point being, going to the video store was half the experience. Now you just sit on your a** at your couch. Lame. Ever seen Wall-e? That's what we're turning into.

NotteRequiem

User Image

Oh... oh damn, Notte. *hangs head* no...

*cocks shotgun*

Wait, are you sure that's a T-Virus infection, or did you have an encounter with Marvel Zombies? Looks like Wolverine did a number on your eye. Or maybe that was a crimson head.

SaintChaos
RE I have to admit has strayed away from that classic survival horror, but I still love the series regardless and it still manages to sell thousands to even millions of copies so that says something to me.

You mean, you didn't give a s**t about the series until RE4. You're not a fan of the series. You like RE4/5. Let's clear that up right now.

SaintChaos
The main reason that most gamers prefer instant shooting and action is because its more realistic and its "instant".

Yes, instant shooting is the epitome of realism. rolleyes

SaintChaos
RE 1-3 is also a bit too slow for my taste for gameplay because it gets boring having to constantly run around the SAME DAMN areas, picking up s**t, only to run around to the same damn areas to solve the puzzles with the same s**t you just picked up. That's what I loved about RE 4 because they took it out of that slow mo crap of the constant run around to the same places, and basically had it to where you solved the area right then and there and MOVED ON to another area.

Yes, just like how it never gets boring to constantly run on a linear, one way track from Point A to Point B, and shoot everything in sight along the way throughout the entire game. Run to this area: kill everything, run to the next area: kill everything. Rinse and repeat. Whereas the older games, it was all about exploration and figuring out how to advance to the next area. Sometimes, you actually had to use your brain ( eek ) and think about s**t, whether it be puzzles or how to dispatch the monsters in that next room you need to get to with your limited ammo supply. So you like instant gratification; you have no patience. Old RE games are not for you. And hate to break it to you, but instant gratification is not always realistic.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:52 pm

Hah, Stranger, a few people said that to me about Wolverine. twisted

But, here's something else. I recorded myself singing "Elle's Theme" from Silent Hill 5... be nice, it's nowhere near perfect, but I thought you'd get a kick out of it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5n51u

NotteRequiem
Crew

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100

Canas Renvall
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey guys, I just got out of the hospital a few hours ago... I was on the way home from school, and this elderly guy in his giant truck pulled out of his stop sign (I didn't have one, so I had the right of way), and I basically just slammed the brakes and hoped for the best. Everyone turned out okay, but my car is totaled and they had to take me to the hospital to make sure I was alright.

God, Bio, I'm really sorry again... Car accidents are the worst. sad

Edit: That was lovely, Notte. Made my hellish day. sweatdrop
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Thee Stranger
Biohazard EXTREME
Holy Sonygasm, Batman! The new PS Network Update is like, PSP heaven. Thank god for the PSP Go, vast majority of PSP titles that were ever worth getting is available as Downloads. I'm like a kid in a game store, only I'm at home!

I thought you were for actual solid, tangible copies of videogames with resale value, Bio? Personally, I'm with you there. I mean, look at Netflix. You don't even have leave the house anymore to rent a movie. Remember what renting a movie used to be like? You would drive with your friends or significant other to the ******** video store. There would be people there and all these aisles and aisles full of movies, and you'd all look around together, read the back of the cases, debate on which movie you should rent, and sometimes you'd get recommendation from employees or friendly customers. Point being, going to the video store was half the experience. Now you just sit on your a** at your couch. Lame. Ever seen Wall-e? That's what we're turning into.

NotteRequiem

User Image

Oh... oh damn, Notte. *hangs head* no...

*cocks shotgun*

Wait, are you sure that's a T-Virus infection, or did you have an encounter with Marvel Zombies? Looks like Wolverine did a number on your eye. Or maybe that was a crimson head.

SaintChaos
RE I have to admit has strayed away from that classic survival horror, but I still love the series regardless and it still manages to sell thousands to even millions of copies so that says something to me.

You mean, you didn't give a s**t about the series until RE4. You're not a fan of the series. You like RE4/5. Let's clear that up right now.

SaintChaos
The main reason that most gamers prefer instant shooting and action is because its more realistic and its "instant".

Yes, instant shooting is the epitome of realism. rolleyes

SaintChaos
RE 1-3 is also a bit too slow for my taste for gameplay because it gets boring having to constantly run around the SAME DAMN areas, picking up s**t, only to run around to the same damn areas to solve the puzzles with the same s**t you just picked up. That's what I loved about RE 4 because they took it out of that slow mo crap of the constant run around to the same places, and basically had it to where you solved the area right then and there and MOVED ON to another area.

Yes, just like how it never gets boring to constantly run on a linear, one way track from Point A to Point B, and shoot everything in sight along the way throughout the entire game. Run to this area: kill everything, run to the next area: kill everything. Rinse and repeat. Whereas the older games, it was all about exploration and figuring out how to advance to the next area. Sometimes, you actually had to use your brain ( eek ) and think about s**t, whether it be puzzles or how to dispatch the monsters in that next room you need to get to with your limited ammo supply. So you like instant gratification; you have no patience. Old RE games are not for you. And hate to break it to you, but instant gratification is not always realistic.

As annoying as it is for mankind to invent new ways for us to be lazy...that doesn't mean we HAVE to do what they invent. Netflix if more suited for people who are going to watch s**t every day of their life (poetically speaking). Its not like you HAVE to choose their service, its just merely a choice that is available. The example you choose is funny though because whether you go get the movie from Blockbuster or get it from netflix, the result of what you do in the end is the same and that basically.......sitting on your a** doing nothing but watching a movie. LOL.

Notte Requiem.........that is ******** AWESOME!

Mr.Kennedy- Dude I had no problem with the atmosphere. Everything ELSE about the older games was just fine. I loved it especially in the RE-remake of the first. Extremely realistic and creepy.....but I was referring to the game-PLAY. I had no other issues, I'm just picky on gameplay because if I'm going to be fully immersed in something, I have to be able to enjoy playing it as well.

Stranger- Just because I wasn't a fan OF THE SERIES from the beginning, doesn't mean I can't still be. RE 4 is what got me started, but SINCE THEN I have been playing the older games as well as the newer every chance I get. So don't freaking sit there and tell me what I am and what I'm not. I've stated time and time again how I felt about the series as a whole, but apparently you skipped over that part.

So yeah, NOW is that clear? Jesus.
Quote:

Yes, instant shooting is the epitome of realism.

If you're going to change my words, the least you could is ask me "is this what you meant?" Yeah real smooth. I NEVER said it was the epitome of realism. For instance, in real life if someone holds a gun to your head, are you going to stand there and think for 10 minutes of what you're going to do? Of course not, you're most likely going to get shot before you do anything. So what do you normally do? "Shoot them in the head."

I'm just saying its more "satisfying" to the player to be able to do something in right away. That's all I was getting at.

Quote:
Yes, just like how it never gets boring to constantly run on a linear, one way track from Point A to Point B, and shoot everything in sight along the way throughout the entire game. Run to this area: kill everything, run to the next area: kill everything. Rinse and repeat. Whereas the older games, it was all about exploration and figuring out how to advance to the next area. Sometimes, you actually had to use your brain ( icon_eek.gif ) and think about s**t, whether it be puzzles or how to dispatch the monsters in that next room you need to get to with your limited ammo supply. So you like instant gratification; you have no patience. Old RE games are not for you. And hate to break it to you, but instant gratification is not always realistic.

gee ladi freakin dah. Running around aimlessly trying to solve puzzles, and running around aimlessly shooting, seems like both have the same result to me from what your saying. So you find my way of playing things boring. There's nothing wrong with that. If that's how you feel then okay. Thats fine. I'm not going to argue that nor was I trying to to begin with. Like I said, I'll at least do the game a favor of playing it through once instead of just stopping half way because I b***h about the gameplay.

Don't get me wrong either, I prefer games that make you think, doesn't mean I have to agree with it razz

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

King of Paradise

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:13 pm

Canas Renvall
Hey guys, I just got out of the hospital a few hours ago... I was on the way home from school, and this elderly guy in his giant truck pulled out of his stop sign (I didn't have one, so I had the right of way), and I basically just slammed the brakes and hoped for the best. Everyone turned out okay, but my car is totaled and they had to take me to the hospital to make sure I was alright.

Really glad to hear everyone pulled out just fine. biggrin

EDIT: Oh, great. Here we go again.

Be gentle, Stranger. Last time you debated (With FoxyAreku), I think you scared your opponet off. Haven't heard from him since the debate...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:31 pm

The Labyrinthian
Canas Renvall

Really glad to hear everyone pulled out just fine. biggrin

EDIT: Oh, great. Here we go again.

Be gentle, Stranger. Last time you debated (With FoxyAreku), I think you scared your opponet off. Haven't heard from him since the debate...

I don't scare away that easily wink And I've been through some nasty s**t in my life physically. I'm glad everyone is okay from that car accident. They're nasty crap to deal with. @_@

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Quote:
Oh, and Resident Evil has always been mainstream. It was never cult. Same goes for Mortal Kombat. And until RE4, every Resident Evil sequel had always been pretty much more of the same, and we weren't complaining, were we? No. We liked it that way. And while I agree that RE is no longer Survival Horror, RE has always had quite a bit of action (especially RE3).

Well, we have different definitions of what Mainstream is. And my definition... If you have another word for it, please let me know.
When I say a mainstream gamer, I mean someone who only plays the hot new thing. And that hot new thing is what I call a mainstream game.
Frankly, by my standards, in North America, I don't even consider Final Fantasy a mainstream franchise. It was in 1990s, but not anymore. Now, those of us who like RPGs, play RPGs. Mainstream gamers would just say, "I don't play those gay Japanese games." Fallout 3 is another one. "You shoot the guy in the head and he doesn't die right away, that's gay." I'm talking about those people. The fratboys. Like I said, if you have another word for those types of gamers, let me know. But that's the kind of audience Resident Evil managed to snag, which was not the case at RE's beginning.

Quote:
But this is another thing that's based on opinion. I'm a huge Halo fan and I love 2 and 3 just as much as 1. I mean Halo 2 and 3 weren't "just another Halo" game. Its a continuation of the story. I mean gotta find out what happens. Gears of War I also personally loved though its had more of a simple plot, but still awesome gameplay in my opinion. RE I have to admit has strayed away from that classic survival horror, but I still love the series regardless and it still manages to sell thousands to even millions of copies so that says something to me.

Well, yes, to YOU it's the continuation of the story. But you're not a mainstream gamer. Most people I've met, said something along the lines of, "Oh man! Halo 3 is coming out! I can't wait! I'm getting it just for the multiplayer!" same with Call of Duty 4, same with even GTA4. Some people didn't even bother with the story mode, just wanted to play the multiplayer. Those are the guys I'm talking about. You say, "Fallout 3 is an awesome game. If you do everything in it, it could last you over 100 hours," they ask, "Does it have multiplayer?" No. "Then I'm not gonna bother with it."
That's a mainstream gamer. You say, "The game has a great story, and lots of great character development." They say, "Who cares about the story?"

Quote:
I thought you were for actual solid, tangible copies of videogames with resale value, Bio? Personally, I'm with you there.

Actually, yes, I am all for hard copy media. But there's a big problem with that when it comes to this generation of handhelds. Unless it's God of War or Final Fantasy, or Pokemon, or Mario, then the game is probably on the shelf maybe six months, no more. Even Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, which became a GREATEST HIT, is difficult to find. That's why I like the idea of downloadable PSP games, because they're not gonna be out of stock. It's not gonna be discontinued, unless it's like... Australia, and there's blood in the game. I mean, I missed out on quite a few good PSP games and now I have access to them once again.

Quote:

God, Bio, I'm really sorry again... Car accidents are the worst.

Sheez... Man, sorry to hear about your car... Glad everyone's okay though.

Quote:
But, here's something else. I recorded myself singing "Elle's Theme" from Silent Hill 5... be nice, it's nowhere near perfect, but I thought you'd get a kick out of it.
Sooo..... Who hooked you up with the instrumental, Hmm?

EDIT:
Well guys. I just finished the Brutal Legend demo. And I gotta say... I ******** loved it!
It's a good thing Heavy Rain isn't coming until 2010, because now I can say that Brutal Legend is my most anticipated original title of the year. And unlike games such as Wet, inFamous, and Alpha Protocol... Brutal Legend just went from my "Wishlist" to my "Must haves" of the fall. I'l definitely be getting it as soon as it comes out. It's amazingly animated. Got a, what seems so far as a kick a** storyline. One of the most imaginative artificial universes I've seen in a video game. You know, I've never been that much of a Heavy Metal fan, but I remember going into like the Heavy Metal section of a store and wanting to buy an album just based on the cover art, thinking, "Man, this could be a story in itself." So that's the kind of kick a** world Brutal Legend delivers, and I freakin love it.
From what I see, Brutal Legend is fan service to heavy metal fans everywhere, but it works both ways I think. Because I can tell you that there's a very realistic chance that after this game, I'm gonna love Metal a lot more. Can't wait til the full version goes on sale!
::Official Resident Evil/Biohazard Guild::

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 703 704 705 706 707 708 ... 835 836 837 838 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games