Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 707 708 709 710 711 712 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:58 pm
You have to remember that Romeo and Juliet was set in the 16th century. At that time, it wasn't uncommon for girls to be married as young as 12 or 13, and by the time they were 15 or 16 they were already considered fully grown adults. Also, couples were forbidden to have sex out of wedlock; anyone caught doing so was probably executed. So however ridiculous it sounds for two people to fall in love at first sight, they had to get married if they wanted to make love. xp

I know it sounds very wierd, but that's how it was in Europe at that time. And if you placed Romeo and Juliet in that time period, what happens in the play doesn't seem as farfetched. Just imagine how a person from that time would react to the society and the famous stories we have today.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:33 am
OMG! Two of my dragon eggs have actually hatched!! How cool!
Back on topic xD >>

*rolls eyes* from what we have learnt in History, I gather that in Shakespeare's time it wasn't uncommon for girls as young as 12 to be mothers already, as well.

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:21 pm
If they're able to conceive at that age. stare  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:32 pm
@liani: It snowed once here (as in where my house is) in all of 16 years, and that snow... melted halfway through the air. Literally. It was very saddening.

I am called Fwoom because B&B knew me before Gaia and that was the name she knew me as. (You can call me something else if you want. Like... Hya. :p)

@shakespeare: I thought R&J was hilarious! I grew up all this time hearing about how tragic it was and how it was the most epic love story ever, and then I read it and found out that they were all adolescent brats. It was somehow really... amusing.

Also, I do believe Shakespeare is meant to be watched (and heard) not read. A lot of the extraneous dialogue was meant to provide setting, because they always had their shows in the afternoons at 2 pm (not very midsummer's night-ish), and much, much more of it was for the sake of improv. The characters don't know the full script, not really, they just have their own parts and the cues, and they don't have specific instructions on how to act either. They get that from the other characters on the spot (i.e. "Juliet! Why dost thou weep so!" and Juliet, replying, adjusts herself to be sobbing horribly, etc). Once you see that, the whole script makes much more sense analytically, and you also see how it is really just a guideline, and how its real brilliance lies in the actors and the portrayal of what is written rather than the text itself. (IMHO, of course.)

@clubbing: have never attempted it. will reserve judgment until I do so.

Hyacinthe Comeaux

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:15 am
Anyone here play zomg?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:47 pm
I tried it when it came out, but found it to be a boring Diablo clone.  

Minielf

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:47 am
It's probably difficult to come up with an original MPG design now that there are so many. I'm playing it for the items! surprised  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:55 pm
@ Fwoom: I agree, it is much better watched than read.
OMG. So horrible. For the past week my friend has been trying to recite the balcony scene ("O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?" etc) for homework, and I have almost memorized it myself now from hearing her reciting it so much stare . And I am sick of hearing it...

@ CBC: I played it a bit... but it loads so slowly and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing anyway. Something about going to see Elizabeth? I don't even know who said character is. Not worth the bother...
But I agree, the items are quite nice~

Bleh. I want to change my avi. It's getting to the point where I'm putting random stuff on it again (namely Tama's Basket and weird lantern thingy).
I think I might try gold and white this time~ Bear with me if my avi starts looking really odd. I'm going to sell off my MCs, I think...

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

berryscary1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 pm
rofl Sin was my Secret Santa!!! rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:24 am
WTF?! I just randomly lost 10K gold without doing anything!!! neutral  

cold_blooded_chick

Chibito7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 am
My exams are done! One was pretty good, the second was okay-ish, and the third this morning was the worst exam I've ever done in my whole entire life.

Thank God they're over. 4laugh

How is everyone? What have I missed?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm
Uh...not much. The guild's been pretty quiet lately. I guess that's because Niph, Tosh, Sin and you are all preoccupied with school.  

Minielf

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:57 am
Elf, I'm going to Sydney Uni to study speech pathology!  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:00 am
Also, I'm going back to China tomorrow for a month! I will have lots of fun and eat lots of food on behalf of you all! rofl  

cold_blooded_chick

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 707 708 709 710 711 712 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games