Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 720 721 722 723 724 725 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chibito7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 am

@Niph: Yes, darling... Tell me everything about this boi of yours. ;D

OOO:!!!

Oh. my. God.

I never knew there were so many!!!

I am in shock. And speechless.

I think I may actually be able to say I can solve a Rubik's. Someone needs to find/buy/give me a 2x2 one first, though. xD;;

Gosh. This is quite the revelation! xD

Tbh, you don't need to be uber clever to be able to solve a Rubik's. Yes, intelligence is likely to be required, but there are books that teach you how to solve them. They're surprisingly straightforward and simple - not that I would know, heh. But yes; there is a certain method to solving Rubiks. (: Do not lose hope that you will one day solve a Rubik's, Mini! xD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:35 pm

@ Niphy: OMG! You have a rubik's revenge! *snatches off Niph and runs away*

@ B&B and Elfy: Yeah, it's seriously easy when you know the combination of turns. Actually, i don't think that intelligence is really required... I think for the 3x3 there are only about 7 or 8 combinations to remember. Anyone with half a brain could do that, considering even I managed to remember them all in about half a day. I could probably solve the first side without the turns (though later i found out that they do it in the same way as me), but I could never solve the whole cube, though. :S
I hope to bug my mum to get me a 4x4 by saying that it's veeeery educational.

OMG. My grandparents just bought me loads of chinese maths books for year 8 and 9. I almost died doing questions 20 onwards on the FIRST EXCERSISE. scream

O.O I just remembered I have a piano exam tomorrow.
Which means I'll be missing the team Maths Challenge thing.
WTF?! I'm the only person in my group in set 1 maths!
We are so going to lose considering the person I'm paired up with kinda sucks at maths... and she'll be on her own.
Oh well. She could always borrow brainpower from someone else in our team.
BUT WTF I HAVEN'T EVEN PRACTICED MY SCALES!!!!!

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Minielf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

I would be able to solve one if I was bothered to, but I can't be stuffed to go out and actually buy a book that teaches you how to solve these cubes. I'm not sure how it is over there in the UK, but here in Australia I don't think the Rubik's Cube ever became a popular craze. It might have been a cult niche but I've never encountered Aussie friends who've boasted about owning one.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:08 pm

Mini, rubik's cubes became really popular among school kids just like, last year.
        . 3.

My older brother taught me how to solve a rubik's cube.
        4laugh

niphy has two darling babies?
        . w.
        yay ipod touches. <3

Princess Rhode
Crew

Hyacinthe Comeaux

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Niphz
I have a 4x4 <3 it's my darling baby. Well, actually, it currently ranks below my boyfriend, iPod touch, and new phone as my darling baby. xDD;

I have to say, for a while I thought Niph was saying that the iPod touch was her boyfriend, and I sat there and stared for a loooong time before it clicked. xD;;

I used to know how to solve a 3x3! but I forgot the algorithm/whatevers for most of the last layer, so I can only do two layers now.

And - you don't have to be particularly clever to memorize the algorithms and stuff. But to just take a cube, fiddle fiddle fiddle for a VERY long time and figure it out on your own requires lots of logic skills.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:05 am

Minielf
I would be able to solve one if I was bothered to, but I can't be stuffed to go out and actually buy a book that teaches you how to solve these cubes. I'm not sure how it is over there in the UK, but here in Australia I don't think the Rubik's Cube ever became a popular craze. It might have been a cult niche but I've never encountered Aussie friends who've boasted about owning one.

Have you been to the selective schools? Well, the top ones, anyway. The top in NSW, James Ruse, there are people just sitting around at recess and lunch fiddling with rubik's cubes and calculators. CALCULATORS.

True story.

cold_blooded_chick

Chibito7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 am

sweatdrop @cbc.

rofl @cbc.

Niph + lotsa babies = *falls over laughing*

@Liani: Calm, m'dear. *patpat* Believe in yourself, breathe and keep it together - even if it's crap at least try as hard as you can with what you have. No point worrying or regretting now, just GO FOR IT! 4laugh
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:39 pm

The examiner was really nice ^.^ He told me when I got questions right ^.^
But the nice ones are usually only nice because they feel sorry for you...
So they give you bad marks...

@ Elfy: You can just search "how to solve a rubik's cube" on google, then like 10,000,000,000,000,000 solutions come up. Personally I prefer the ones on scribd where it's written, but there are always the ones on youtube and stuff if you prefer a visual guide...

@ Fwoom: Unfortunately, my logic skills score -10. I suck at things like Rubik's cubes. And even if I did finish it, I would forget how I managed to do it.

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Minielf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:01 pm

cold_blooded_chick
Minielf

Have you been to the selective schools? Well, the top ones, anyway. The top in NSW, James Ruse, there are people just sitting around at recess and lunch fiddling with rubik's cubes and calculators. CALCULATORS.

True story.

Hmm, maybe Rubik's Cube has come back as a craze in recent years. Perhaps due to the global recession? It wouldn't surprise me if the reason why as you and Sin said, a lot of students in schools are getting rubik's cube, is because their parents are dirt poor and can't afford to buy them cool electronic gadgets anymore. For me though, almost none of my school mates ever showed off Rubik's cubes or boasted they had Rubik's cubes. If they did, they'd be instantly labelled as geeks and probably ostracised.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:25 pm

james ruse kids are geeks anyway.
        > w>

Princess Rhode
Crew

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:13 am

Princess Rhode

james ruse kids are geeks anyway.
        > w>

Yeah, otherwise known as Asians.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:46 am

OMFG! I went into Tesco's (for you non-UK-ians, it's a supermarket) with my boyfriend and the guy at the checkout counter was like, "do you have children?" and when we said "..no...." he asked "Oh, just married then?" -__-;; it was so uncool! xD;

Niphy does not have children. Niphy does not even like children. Let's get that cleared up..

7 steps for a 3x3x3; 9 steps for a 4x4x4, it's all easily learnable, although I find it's easier to get someone to teach you rather than learning from instructions 'cause they can be difficult to decipher for novices..

@B&B - 'Boi'? -raised eyebrow- (in my head that stupid Estelle song: "YOU'LL BE MY AMERICAN BOOIII, AMERICAN BOIIIII" xD); but in seriousness.. I adore him. To bits. He's gone home for the day & evening (cause he lives in greater London) & I miss him so much, it's ridiculous. Sending e-hugs to him. <3

Niphz
Crew

Chibito7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 am

@Niph: Lol. ;D I'm glad.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:27 pm

@ Niph: *Almost chokes from laughter at the Tesco's incident* -do you really look that old?! Maybe the stress is getting to you.
But what kind of weird guy at a checkout asks if you've got children, anyway?
I do recall being in an airport in China, and this little boy comes up to me and addresses me as if I'm a 30-year old and asks me to help him reach a box of sweets stare . It was not fun.

And with the rubik's thing, it is easier to get someone to teach you, but not many people are willing to sit with someone for like an hour, teaching them all the turns and stuff...

For some reason, every time I hear that "American Boy" song, I think of reading Bleach. I have no idea why, maybe it was on the radio while I was reading Bleach or something... It's just weirdly imprinted into my mind.

@ Elfy: People in our school don't tend to mind. Nobody really is labelled a geek. We tend to think of those people like: "OMG! I hate you! You got 1% more than me in the chemistry test!! You must be a genius!" (sarcasm, of course), not "OMG, what a geek". In other words, we are very competitive, especially in our little circle of Asians ^.^

For some reason, different races in our school don't really mix. There's kinda groups of people from different continents. If you come here, and you're Chinese, you will automatically go to the group of hyper-active and uber-random Chinese, Thai and Korean girls who go to the music block every lunch and teatime under my command (that's us xD). If you're European, Australian or American, you mix with the other European, Australian and American people, etc etc.

Speaking of school, we were watching a film in the common room, and it was rated 15 or something, and we had just got to the gory bit where someone's being murdered, and the teachers obviously heard the scream because our head of year came in, and we just about managed to switch it off. She was like "what on earth are you doing in here?" in an exasperated voice, and no-one wanted to explain that we were watching a gory horror movie, so someone shouted from the corner: "we're watching DAYTIME TV!" Everyone was laughing so hard xd .

For those non-Brits, it's kinda a joke around here that daytime TV in Britain really sucks, and it's full of those cooking programmes and "how to be a housewife" programmes, and pointless stuff like Cash in the Attic (a programme where people auction off random bits of old furniture and stuff in their house and see if the money can be used to pay for holidays and the like).

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Minielf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:47 pm

@Niph: You don't like children? Does that mean you don't plan on having kids ever? If it is, it's understandable. Most of the girls I've met over here say they plan on staying single forever.
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 720 721 722 723 724 725 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games