Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
~*~ ICU Chatterbox ~*~ Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minielf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:49 pm
Yeah philisophy isn't a subject let alone a degree I would recommend doing. All you do is talk about lots of gobbledook stuff that most normal people wouldn't understand. Being an arts student already makes it hard to get into a lot of disciplines, but philosophy is like a niche sector in Arts that only hardcore devotees of say Freud, Nietsche and other 18/19th century thinkers would like.

@Niph: So you're doing an extra year of French law on top of your normal Law degree? That's pretty daring of you.

@CBC: It sounds like you want to marry me for the money. I'm okay with that. xd My parents didn't exactly marry for love but they've lasted for more than twenty years so it wouldn't matter much.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:39 pm
Philosophy, from what I understand, is learning about what all the old philosophers thought, and then learning why it's all wrong. neutral

Yeah, I go to France in my third year, and then return to London for my fourth, in which I study what everyone else studies in their third year, if that makes sense. (:  

Niphz
Crew

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:32 am
French law in french without language training...which means Niph knows french fluently enough to learn law with all its disgusting jargon.

stare  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:23 am
Niphy's gonna be trilingual! ;D

Philosophy's interesting, but yes, not much you can do when you leave university. Subjects like English Literature and History don't have straight career paths. At least if you have a degree then you can re-train as something else, such as teaching... *shrug*

@Mini: It's okay with you, and maybe CBC, but I couldn't marry for anything but love. Of course, I would also marry because of other factors, but if there is no romantic love I will not marry. Call me idealistic, but I'd rather be alone than marry someone I won't be happy or content with. I think it'd do worse things to me than not marrying at all, lol.
But yeah. I'm quite adamant about marriage and love, for myself that is.  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:46 am
@ B&B: Love doesn't last for ever.
But don't you realise that once you've been together for ages, you'll be more like best friends than lovers?
And it's not all that brilliant either.
Sometimes marriage these days is more of a duty that you have to fulfill to your parents.
And who says you have to be in love to be happy?!
And I would NEVER be a teacher.
I hate little kids, and chavvy teenagers.
I would only teach 6th form, or in university.

@ CBC: Niph probably could go to France now and act like a native.
And me? I don't even know what a SPOON is in French, even though I've been studying for 3 years.
We learn just all the useless stuff.
I'm not going to go up to a random French person and go "My house is quite big, modern and it has two gardens. It is in a village. My hobbies are..."
I think the way of learning Latin is way better. At least you learn actual speech and not just descriptions.
Right now I wouldn't even be able to go and ask for directions to a restaurant from a French person.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:57 pm
cold_blooded_chick
French law in french without language training...which means Niph knows french fluently enough to learn law with all its disgusting jargon.

stare

I'm envious of her too. Managing to learn to speak, write and read a foreign language fluently whereas I'm struggling to even try to maintain my proficiency in Mandarin. sweatdrop

Niph sorta reminds me of my eldest cousin. ninja

@B&B: I used to imagine marrying for love, but given my life's experience so far, it's probably fanciful to think of finding someone who'd I consider my soulmate. Watching my parents get along doesn't give me much hope of finding true love either. Plus, I've heard bad stories about people marrying for love and then later finding out they had issues with one another and subsequently divorcing.  

Minielf

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 am
I'd love to live in a Mills & Boon novel where my husband is always a tall, dark and handsome European aristocrat/rich banker who loves plain old me with all his heart.

But then I finish the book(?) and snap out of it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:06 am
@Liani: Love will definitely never last forever if you tell yourself that.

I don't believe in perfection - for it does not exist. I love my parents and my brother very much, and I will always love them, but sometimes I want them to just leave me alone. I'm sure it'll be the same with my husband. It won't be perfect; sometimes we'll probably hate each other. But as long as we remember why we love each other - the reason why we would be together in the first place - it should be more than the reasons we have to hate each other. Marriage isn't brilliant; it isn't fun. It's about hard work and perseverence, about trying and cooperation. It's about love.

I would never marry for my parents; they won't force me to either, thankfully.

Admittedly my parents are more best friends now than anything, but they still love each other. I don't think I could last fifty years with a best friend... *shrug* I have a best friend already. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for someone who'll love me and be mine. I'll do my best to keep a relationship going - because relationships aren't easy, they require work, and if you're not going to work for it, you might as well not ever put yourself in a relationship.

@Mini: I get you. But I'm not talking soulmates and s**t like that. I don't believe in soulmates. I don't believe in perfection, like I've already said. I think people tend to either have a very romantic view of love, or a very cynical one (everyone here seems to be the latter). I'd like to think I take a middle line: love is not all prince and princesses, but neither is it not worth pursuing. You can't expect love to be an easy road, but if you really want it, you'll make it work.

Of course there'll be bad stories. But I'm adamant I'll do my best to make a marriage work. I'll do what it takes. If my husband won't, then I'm afraid I'll be divorcing him. Because it takes teamwork and I'm not a one-man player. I won't settle for anything but equality.

I also won't haphazardly marry... which lots of people do... -_-;; Silly, that is. People get so blinded by love. I'm a lot more sensible and realistic than that. But not quite as cynical as you guys, lol.  

Chibito7

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:25 am
@ B&B: But since when has love EVER worked out? xD

Bleh. Perfection is horrible. Who wants to marry someone with no faults? That would not be fun.

And parents screaming and throwing stuff at each other is really a sign of eternal love... Pfft.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:36 pm
Woah. A serious discussion in the ICUCB? What is the world coming to?? DD;

Gavin thinks eternal love is overrated. I dunno.. I guess you just have to.. try as hard as possible, for as long as possible?

I'm not really sure I really subscribe to the whole marriage thing. Maybe. But I want a wedding.. xDDD;;

I'm nowhere NEAR fluent in French! Well, reading and writing is fine, but speaking confidence isn't that great.. xP I'm getting by, though, so I guess it'll all be alright. (:  

Niphz
Crew

Minielf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:51 pm
Lol, the Chatterbox has been full of rather serious discussion topics lately. xd

I think it's amazing that you've managed how to speak, read and write French from scratch Niph. I'm ashamed to admit that I can't read and write Chinese very well. sweatdrop

@B&B: It's refreshing to read your thoughts about love and marriage. Most women these days are obssessed with a career, money or wealth, and marriages are either spur of the moment things which start out passionately but end horribly, or arranged marriages which tend to last very long but with little love between the couple. I hate to admit it but my parents are of the latter category. Perhaps the best kind of marriage is the one you speak about, where two people admit they have issues with each other but are still willing to set aside their differences and work together.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:15 am
Elf, if you get that job and the apartment, I am willing to set aside your issue of being a stuffy old man and try to make the marriage work. mrgreen  

cold_blooded_chick

Chibito7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:55 am
rofl @ cbc.

@Mini: Lol, well, lots of women are like that, yes, but actually, I've found a lot more of them are the opposite - i.e. too romantic. D: They really, really get on my nerves sometimes, lol. It's lovely they have such romantic idealisms, but sometimes you think, How can you expect love to be so perfect? It's not! Lol.
But yes. Marriage is not easy whatsoever. ><

@Niph: We've resorted to seriousness because all the s**t we normally talk about has been exhausted. xD
I think a lot of men think that, heh. And I agree. Try as long as you can.
You little hypocrite! xD;; I wanna come to your wedding! *pout* <3
You'll be fabulous after a few months in France, darling. ;D Honestly, it does so much for you.

@Liani: Love does work out! Nothing is impossible - just like nothing is perfect.
Okay, before you say it, yes, not everything is possible, but you get my point! xD  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm
@ Niphy: Oh, so your boyfriend is called Gavin? -Didn't know that and was about to ask-
O.O I can so imagine you when you're older.
"Gavin, vaccum the carpet in the living room!" "Gavin, you haven't done the washing!" "Gavin, you forgot to dust off the mantlepiece!" "Gavin! Get off your lazy a** and help me dry the dishes!"
xD
I would so treat my future husband like that.
That's why he would have to be tolerant.
And after a year in France, you would probably be spurting French randomly like I do after a French lesson ninja

@ CBC: rofl xD

@ Elfy: I'm ashamed to admit that I think my writing ability in French is now even better than my writing ability in Chinese... ninja

@ B&B: Think of all the things we could do if everything were possible~
#1 on my list would be to fly~
-is going off topic-

Sphenni

Friendly Lunatic

Minielf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:09 pm
cold_blooded_chick
Elf, if you get that job and the apartment, I am willing to set aside your issue of being a stuffy old man and try to make the marriage work. mrgreen

Lol I'd be extremely happy with that mrgreen But the 'stuffy old man' image of me is just an online facade; I'm nowhere near as cynical or deadpan in RL. In fact, I'm probably more likely to be the subservient one in a relationship, as I don't like arguing with people. Also, I happen to have a knack for housework, so sharing the chores wouldn't be a problem.  
*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 724 725 726 727 728 729 ... 793 794 795 796 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games